Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-24-2014, 09:36 AM

Default First Deer This Year..

My buddy called me up and wanted to get out deer hunting. I was going to wait until November first, but I'm glad I went out yesterday. Had a blast.

I managed to bag bambi... I actually didn't realize how small it really was until I got to it.

It was a front shot, ( I know, not ideal ) at roughly 50-60 yards. Went through the neck and over the back just grazed her rear... Dropped like a ton of bricks... Thats when I seen the mom take off!!!! I got a round off at her, but missed.

Upon skinning it last nite, I was very pleased that not one bit of meat was wasted.

We managed to get one grouse and seen a TON of them!!! I know where I'm going to get some next time out!!! We made a fire down by the river and deep fried some fish and what was left of the grouse as I shot it with a .22 mag and was a tad low.... haha..

Anyway, just thought I'd share.. Had a blast. Anyday in the woods hunting is a good one!

Oh while sitting in the evening, I heard wolves howling all around us, that was erie!!!!!

Old 10-24-2014, 11:33 AM

I know a spot on the east side of 328 that looks really similar to where the truck is parked, same spot perhaps? I'm thinking of heading around 330 tomorrow for a poke around before holidays in November. Good shot on the deer by the way!

A bad day hunting/fishing is still better than sitting at home on the couch
Old 10-25-2014, 05:42 AM
Banned

Congrats on a nice day of hunting
Old 10-25-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altawhitetail_11 View Post
I know a spot on the east side of 328 that looks really similar to where the truck is parked, same spot perhaps? I'm thinking of heading around 330 tomorrow for a poke around before holidays in November. Good shot on the deer by the way!

Yes it is 330. My first time there, and won't be my last. Very nice territory!

I had the deer to the butcher yesterday. ( had it done for me in an hour!!!! ) He had said lots of people this year have taken frontal shots, with both rifle and bow.

I managed to get about 40lbs or so of meat, and didn't waste any as it was a neck shot!
Old 10-25-2014, 10:18 AM

Seeing as you were having fish, you should have filleted that deer while it was on the end gate
That'll be a great eater.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:23 PM

Nice Bambi