Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-24-2014, 04:43 PM

Default treestand vs ground blind conflict

Looking for opinions here...
I've been bow hunting on crown land from my ground blind since early September. Been out almost every weekend since Sept 1. I had a wedding to go to last weekend and it appears someone has set up a tree stand not even 100 yards away from my blind while I was away. I just walked to my blind and noticed the stand. I'm planning on hunting this location with rifle every weekend till seasons end.
I obviously know that he has every right to be there just as I do but my goal here is to make it so we don't interfere with each other. My schedule is set so ill be out there no matter what.
Thinking of leaving a note but that could just as easily give away the fact I have a ground blind near by. He either didn't notice it or simply doesn't care that he's a stones throw away from me. If I tell him, who knows, my blind might just go missing.
what do you guys think? What would you do?
Old 10-24-2014, 04:45 PM

Conundrum. Not a bad idea to leave a note. Last thing you want is lead flying your way with him unawares.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:48 PM

We are both on the same side of a clearing looking into it. I'm not worried about flying bullets as long as we are both in our locations. Enroute or coming from the blind though... A little worrisom
Old 10-24-2014, 05:33 PM
Banned

Your not hunting beaver county by any chance are you
Old 10-24-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesilva View Post
You set up close to a ground blind???? Lol.

No, I'm in 324
Old 10-24-2014, 06:13 PM

IMO- you have a hunting shadow. It could be that some greenhorn decided you knew where to set up so it must be good. An experienced hunter would set up so close.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-24-2014, 06:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Sittn Duck View Post
You set up close to a ground blind???? Lol.

No, I'm in 324
Nope just lately all of my spots I've been hubting for years are getting taken by people it seems
Old 10-24-2014, 07:23 PM

I had set up my treestand a couple of years ago not realizing there was another one close by. The guy had left a nice note on my ladder asking if I could move it to another location. I complied. I didnt have to move it, but he was there first, so I moved. So, leave him a "nice" note and see what happens.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:43 PM

Id leave a note. Its to be expected during hunting season on public land. We're fortunate to have so much huntable land in Alberta though. Alot of places in the states have guys hunting from treestands 40 yrds apart down a cutline on public land.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:45 PM

Default hunting spots

I grew up in a very small village, I remember then back there we had un written spots...like our area was ours. Trespassing was a nono...I guess we had the room and respect then. That said, I do recall when I seen the first incomers trap, he was told to get out. But that was the end, many came then, my area was allowed 25 beaver...lol...the good old days. Anyone else remember that kind of life?
Old 10-24-2014, 07:47 PM

Had a group of 4 set up a pop up blind 70 yards from my occupied natural ground blind earlier this season.. I even talked to the one guy. He figured he was in the right.. had my daughter not been with me I'd have had some choice words for them.. worst of all it was on private land.. some people have no respect..
Old 10-24-2014, 09:01 PM

I had that happen too but it was 2 ground blinds .. they put theirs closer too the hill I was spotting .. and it was myself that had shown them how I spot and stalk from that ground blind.. they have a hunting TV show now ..one of the brothers even brought in his clients he guided

no big deal its a free country and I know that in my spot the field of view was better .. in the end I harvested my ungulates and friends got theirs from my stand for many years

ps they got some there too

its just like fishing I choose to ignore the small stuff and get the job done

things like this only bother you if you let it

just keep on hunting the spot and Karma will be your reward

David
Old 10-25-2014, 06:03 AM
Banned

Tough spot to be in. Now that your blind has been up for awhile deer have gotten used to it, which is what you want. Also you now have at least 2 hunters walking into area which might spook deer. I'd leave him a note just to make sure he knows your there. Never know, he might decide to move his stand. Don't think he'd steal your stand as he's probably just as concerned about his.
On the other hand you might meet a new hunting friend who could help drag out any game you bring down and vice versa.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:10 PM

Well, I just left a note on his stand.
I kindly asked if he was willing to move or at least to contact me so we might be able to arrange a situation where we aren't tripping over each other out here.
The ball is in his court now I guess, only time will tell
Old 10-25-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesilva View Post
I've got a tree stand I've built in beaver county, that someone uses and has a blind right near pretty sure it's the new neighbour that owns land beside where I've had permission for years.
I don't really mind although- if it's occupied on my morning hunts, they would be asked to leave and hunt they're own spot.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Sittn Duck View Post
Well, I just left a note on his stand.
I kindly asked if he was willing to move or at least to contact me so we might be able to arrange a situation where we aren't tripping over each other out here.
The ball is in his court now I guess, only time will tell
Good choice,if I were him I'd make contact/work it out.
Could also be he's hung a stand on that tree for years,who knows?
Old 10-25-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottik9 View Post
I grew up in a very small village, I remember then back there we had un written spots...like our area was ours. Trespassing was a nono...I guess we had the room and respect then. That said, I do recall when I seen the first incomers trap, he was told to get out. But that was the end, many came then, my area was allowed 25 beaver...lol...the good old days. Anyone else remember that kind of life?
One of my favorite old spots has houses and roads built over it.