Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-03-2017, 12:48 AM

Somewhat off topic here, but for bush hunting, I was thinking that a .375 bore rifle based off the WSM case with an 18-20" barrel would be a great bush carbine.

For flat land, I'm kinda inclined to look at a 375 nosler. I do like the idea of the ouch and ouch, but, for some reason, the nosler idea is drawing me more...
Old 04-03-2017, 06:49 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
Thems fighting words!!!!

Forgive me i will sin.
You, talking to me?

Are you, talking to ME?

If you're talkin' to me (a lot of other people here, so you might not be talking to me) I'll have you know that I figure both of these cartridges are good rounds and very potent, as is the .375 Ruger.

But for sheer over the top power that a lot of folks go to these cartridges for, the legit Elephant rounds are way over the top. So while these medium bores here are way more than needed for N.A. Game Hunting in my estimation, there's a next level of ridiculousness to step to that sure is grin inducing when you get there! The power is nutzo.

But seeing as how I've now made two posts in the thread, may as well say that I'd be happy with any of these cartridges and recommend 'em each. If it's a tough firearms purchase decision I face cartridge wise - My solution is go with the individual gun that I like best.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham View Post
Don't mess around with the medium bores if you want power. If you want bolt action, go .505 Gibbs and don't look back!

Bring a 20k budget, though.

Nah? Then either or will be good but to go International, the .375's are where it's at. If you're a smaller guy, go .375 Ruger. It's not a bad call either way, other than being esoteric.
My understanding is that recoil between the Ruger and H&H are not significantly different. In fact, since there is similar powder capacity and the Ruger can be loaded to slightly higher pressure as well as being available in lighter and shorter length rifles, the Ruger will have more recoil if anything. It is available in more affordable rifles though too - Ruger Guide Gun, Mossberg Patriot

I agree with everybody above though, if only planning on hunting in NA, 338 and ammo more widely available, better long range performance. If a trip to Africas a possibility, either 375.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:44 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700-223 View Post
My understanding is that recoil between the Ruger and H&H are not significantly different. In fact, since there is similar powder capacity and the Ruger can be loaded to slightly higher pressure as well as being available in lighter and shorter length rifles, the Ruger will have more recoil if anything. It is available in more affordable rifles though too - Ruger Guide Gun, Mossberg Patriot

I agree with everybody above though, if only planning on hunting in NA, 338 and ammo more widely available, better long range performance. If a trip to Africas a possibility, either 375.
I was thinking about how the arms chambered in .375 Ruger I've seen, being a short action and hence the tiniest bit more compact, would easily be adaptable to fit small frame shooters with ease if it didn't quite fit a person just right out of the box.

To me, recoil is a byproduct of poor technique, poor gun fit and low gun weight for any given cartridge or load. People of any shape and size can handle any cartridge. Hey, there's even a video of a 15 year old female running an African PH qualifier/practice course with her bolt gun .505 Gibbs!

I did not intend to imply low recoil with full house loads from any of the aforementioned cartridges. Nor high recoil either. It's all so subjective and variable, perceived recoil is. My perception of recoil is that it is a great thing, an instant feedback system on technique.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:33 AM

I've hunted with both and several others. Went back to the 30-06. I have a 45-70 for bush hunting, still prefer the 06.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:42 PM

I use 210 ttsx in my 338 win mag and 300 accubonds in my 375 h&h. I find the 375 has more kick but it's stock doesn't fit me as well as my 338's. The kick from both is easily tolerable for practice and hunting. I bought the 338 first and use it the most.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham View Post
I was thinking about how the arms chambered in .375 Ruger I've seen, being a short action and hence the tiniest bit more compact, would easily be adaptable to fit small frame shooters with ease if it didn't quite fit a person just right out of the box.

To me, recoil is a byproduct of poor technique, poor gun fit and low gun weight for any given cartridge or load. People of any shape and size can handle any cartridge. Hey, there's even a video of a 15 year old female running an African PH qualifier/practice course with her bolt gun .505 Gibbs!

I did not intend to imply low recoil with full house loads from any of the aforementioned cartridges. Nor high recoil either. It's all so subjective and variable, perceived recoil is. My perception of recoil is that it is a great thing, an instant feedback system on technique.
I mostly agree with you, fit, technique and light rifle weight are big players. I believe that there's also a great deal of variation between individuals in recoil tolerance that's just intrinsic - some physical and some psychological. For that reason, I don't believe everyone can handle every cartridge. More importantly, once a flinch is established (a marker of anticipation and fear of recoil) it is extremely difficult to eradicate. My first big game rifle was a 308, have since added a 7mm and sold the 308. Despite more recoil in the 7mm (they are similar weights), it was also more comfortable to shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
I've hunted with both and several others. Went back to the 30-06. I have a 45-70 for bush hunting, still prefer the 06.
Never had a 30-06. Had a great deal lined up on one last week, but it fell through at the last minute. Super bummed. Sooner or later, I'll find a CRF 30-06 to go with my 7mm as a second hunting rifle. I have a sneaking suspicion that for most purposes, I may prefer it to my 7mm. Regardless, for my purposes between the two I should be good for any big game I'll hunt. And, if I ever have an optic/ammo/rifle problem during hunting season, worst case scenario I'll grab the other rifle and head back out.

Will probably have a 338 WM or a 35 Whelen some day, but will wait until I know I will be hunting something where something bigger makes sense. The ammo availability and relatively light recoil respectively just makes sense to me. Can't see myself shooting enough medium bore to justify getting into reloading them, while I do plan to do so for my 7mm.

Last edited by 700-223; 04-08-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700-223 View Post
I mostly agree with you, fit, technique and light rifle weight are big players. I believe that there's also a great deal of variation between individuals in recoil tolerance that's just intrinsic - some physical and some psychological. For that reason, I don't believe everyone can handle every cartridge. More importantly, once a flinch is established (a marker of anticipation and fear of recoil) it is extremely difficult to eradicate. My first big game rifle was a 308, have since added a 7mm and sold the 308. Despite more recoil in the 7mm (they are similar weights), it was also more comfortable to shoot.

Never had a 30-06. Had a great deal lined up on one last week, but it fell through at the last minute. Super bummed. Sooner or later, I'll find a CRF 30-06 to go with my 7mm as a second hunting rifle. I have a sneaking suspicion that for most purposes, I may prefer it to my 7mm. Regardless, for my purposes between the two I should be good for any big game I'll hunt. And, if I ever have an optic/ammo/rifle problem during hunting season, worst case scenario I'll grab the other rifle and head back out.

Will probably have a 338 WM or a 35 Whelen some day, but will wait until I know I will be hunting something where something bigger makes sense. The ammo availability and relatively light recoil respectively just makes sense to me. Can't see myself shooting enough medium bore to justify getting into reloading them, while I do plan to do so for my 7mm.
There's a couple of nice CZ in 30-06 on the EE on cgn...
Old 04-08-2017, 09:10 AM

Excellent observations, 700-223. I suspect that, outside of a legitimate/severe disability those personal intrinsic tolerance are pretty much all psychological. Especially the dreaded flinch!

Hopefully you shall be able to find a suitable .30-06 in short order. It's an excellent round to have handy.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellydoc View Post
Alright, I was researching a new rifle after hunting season last year and never really came to a conclusion, so im in search of still some more wise thoughts.

Im looking for something with more power than my 7mm rem mag. I've decided to step past the 30 cals because there is just not enough of a difference from my 7mm. So now I'm thinking 338 win mag, but then 375 came up. Both are probably overkill for what I will hunt here and there are no plans for a safari etc.

What do you guys think?
Not sure if you handload or not but there are three very viable options available that would meet your criteria... .338-06, .35 Whelen and 9.3x62 Mauser. Well worth a look.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbgdr View Post
I've owned 4-5 of both over the years,, settled on the 340 Weatherby
I too own a 340 wby, had it for 6 years now. Didn't NEED it but always wanted one. Now i kind of wish i went 338 WM, just for the much cheaper and available ammo ( I don't reload ). But the 340 is a cool cartridge.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:51 PM

I have used both. The 375 H and H is a true classic and a great caliber but my rifle was a bit light and it had a pretty good recoil. I use a 338 Winchester Magnum a fair bit and I find the recoil manageable and my rifle is very accurate.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:03 AM
Banned

I am not familiar with the 357 H&H, but I love my 338 so it's another vote for the trusty 338, it's the only rifle I own and does everything I need my rifle to do. Gets the job done!
Old 04-09-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch donkey View Post

I am sure you will be happy with either of these heavy hitters. A 375 is on my to buy list, for no other reason than, I pay taxes, go to work each day, and keep my lawn mowed and my walks shovelled. I just want one!
Great reasons. So do I. I'm feeling much better about wanting a 375 now!
And I'm going to get that CZ 550 safari that was on sale at the gun show....if it shows up again.

On the issue of which....375 gets my vote......in case I get the chance for an African Safari hunt.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:49 PM

Had both for quite a while. Got rid of the 338.

375HnH is pure awesome.

Besides you never know when you are going to run into a rogue elephant.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:51 PM

Never had a .338, but my .375 H&H, CZ 550 safari is awesome. I have used it in Africa on more than one safari, I found it to be quite accurate and no slouch in the speed department with the heavier bullets, and shoot flat. For the smaller African game I used my .300 Rum, with the .375 being used 85% of the time. There were hunters using the .338 also. I find the .375 H&H very manageable to shoot with little to no evident recoil, more of a push or a shove.
I chose the CZ 550 Safari as it is a solid rifle, and will hold 5 rounds, dependable mauser action, double set trigger, express sights, etc! Even at over 10 pounds scoped, it is a fast shouldering rifle, and well balanced. Kinda neat, as the .375 H&H is over 100 years old!
Old 05-13-2017, 07:53 PM

Never had a .338, but my .375 H&H, CZ 550 safari is awesome. I have used it in Africa on more than one safari, I found it to be quite accurate and no slouch in the speed department with the heavier bullets, and shoot flat. For the smaller African game I used my .300 Rum, with the .375 being used 85% of the time. There were hunters using the .338 also. I find the .375 H&H very manageable to shoot with little to no evident recoil, more of a push or a shove.
I chose the CZ 550 Safari as it is a solid rifle, and will hold 5 rounds, dependable mauser action, double set trigger, express sights, etc! Even at over 10 pounds scoped, it is a fast shouldering rifle, and well balanced. Kinda neat, as the .375 H&H is over 100 years old! I have also used it for deer hunting also, works just as good as my .300 RUM!
Old 05-13-2017, 07:59 PM

Opps, double post, added the deer hunting part, and don't know how to delete the first post, my bad !
Old 05-13-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUDUHNTR View Post
Opps, double post, added the deer hunting part, and don't know how to delete the first post, my bad !
No worries, extra "round" makes sure it stays down

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:42 PM

Default shot both

have shot the .375 in a pre 64 model 70 super grade (wow nice rifle) the .338 was in a model 70 push feed which was relatively light weight - both shot from the bench to confirm zeros and both were accurate.

the .375 from the bench was intimidating and the .338 was unpleasant - intimidating is worse than unpleasant

always wanted a .375 in a Winchester model 70 and that would probably be the way I would go - am also considering a 9.3 x 62 as a carry rifle when I'm backing up others on their hunts less recoil than the .375 but also less power
Old 05-29-2017, 09:35 PM

..and not one mention of the .35 Whelen. Oh My.