Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-23-2011, 09:47 AM

Default Mares leg and Ranch hand

Just yesterday two neat little henry boxes arrived at the shop in which i work. We dove in to find two Henry mares legs in .22lr. i hated them at first but after a little dinkin around they quickly grew on me! my big awesome pint was the discovery that one can easily do "the rifleman" reload. i have no use for the .22lr but The .45lc versions are on their way but ive caught wind they will be around $900. This turned my attention to the rossi ranch hand in 357. so my question is: has anyone had experience with rossi lever actions ie: smoothness, reliability, in comparison to a henry? (i know full well the henry will be the best haha i just need to know if its worth the money or i'd be happy with the rossi for half the price. thanks Bullseye.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:46 PM

they are both great reliable guns
Old 04-02-2013, 04:54 PM

Henry is smoother and prettier.....the Rossi if for you if you are going to use it...pack it, get it dirty and scratched......I have a Rossi in 44mag. I have also done quite a few mods to get mine to be shootable so to speak.

Do some reading here and on the interweb about the sights that come with the Rossi and be prepared to swap them out....

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ght=Rossi+mods

LC
Old 04-02-2013, 05:01 PM

Can you get a regular lever instead of the big loop one for the Rossi? That's about the only thing holding me back from doing a project like yours Lefty. (Well, that and cash, but that's minor )
Old 04-02-2013, 05:42 PM

I took the dremel to the rear sight if my Rossi and have it shooting where it should.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Can you get a regular lever instead of the big loop one for the Rossi? That's about the only thing holding me back from doing a project like yours Lefty. (Well, that and cash, but that's minor )
I've enlarged a lever before so you should be able to make a large loop smaller.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:48 PM

I was looking at the Rossi in 44 mag. Decided I can't justify the purchase though. I'll save it for after I graduate. Good looking rifle though. Seems very versatile. A hot and heavy 44 mag at 75 yards could take pretty much anything you needed it to except Grizz, and you could use a really light 44 special for small game. And it would take everything in between. Plus it's small enough to fit in a leg holster.

Seems to me like the perfect backcountry gun. Almost as versatile as a 12 gauge shotgun, in a smaller package.

Only thing I wonder though... in all the American videos of experienced shooters using them, they shoot it one handed like a pistol. I wonder how hard it would be to have a slip on buttpad or something to give enough length of pull for a traditional rifle shooting style.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteland.soldier View Post

Only thing I wonder though... in all the American videos of experienced shooters using them, they shoot it one handed like a pistol. I wonder how hard it would be to have a slip on buttpad or something to give enough length of pull for a traditional rifle shooting style.
Read my link above to see....that's what I did with mine.

LC