Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2011, 12:11 PM

Default RCMP seize dozens of firearms at Edmonton home

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=EdmontonHome

That is a lot of fire power, what do you do with 100 thousand rounds of ammo
Old 11-25-2011, 12:15 PM

This from the CBC:

An Edmonton man has been charged with 72 offences after RCMP seized 75 firearms and 100,000 rounds of ammunition at a home.
Christian Bonilla, 39, is also accused of trying to smuggle an illegal weapon into Canada, according to court documents obtained by CBC News.
He was stopped at the Aldergrove, B.C., border crossing on May 26.
He is accused of telling Canadian border guards that a gun found in his vehicle was properly registered, even though he had no documentation.
The gun was seized, and Bonilla was allowed to continue his trip home to Edmonton.
But when officers investigated, they discovered the gun was a prohibited weapon.
Investigators eventually searched Bonilla's south Edmonton house on Aug. 30.
They found 70 firearms, four classified as prohibited, documents show.
They also seized suppressors, also known as silencers.
Polices also found a workshop set up to modify firearms, five partial weapons in the process of being modified and more than 100,000 rounds of ammunition.
Investigators believe Bonilla has bought and sold more than 300 firearms.
They say he has been to the United States 12 times in the past two years.
None of the allegations in the documents has been proven in court.
Bonilla faces four counts of importing a prohibited firearm, four counts of possessing a prohibited firearm, 49 counts of possessing a prohibitive gun magazine and 15 unsafe storage charges.
Bonilla's first court appearance is set for January.

Just what we need. Hope they nail him hard if he's selling undocumented or illegal weapons..
Old 11-25-2011, 12:16 PM

He could take out a small army with that kind of fire power and ammo
Old 11-25-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
He could take out a small army with that kind of fire power and ammo
The ammo is no big deal, your regular shooter blows threw more than that in a couple of trips to the range. I have about a thousand rounds in the house just for the .223 not including the hunting rifles. I wouldn't even want to guess how much the guys like Cat have on hand
Old 11-25-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
The ammo is no big deal, your regular shooter blows threw more than that in a couple of trips to the range. I have about a thousand rounds in the house just for the .223 not including the hunting rifles. I wouldn't even want to guess how much the guys like Cat have on hand
Yea thats true, but wonder what the guy was doing with these guns, if you are not hunter or collector then what would this guy be doing with the guns in the first place.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
Yea thats true, but wonder what the guy was doing with these guns, if you are not hunter or collector then what would this guy be doing with the guns in the first place.
Now don't be reaching for the "why does anyone need..." argument. Not on THIS board. LOL Fine with focusing on the illegal aspects... prohibited weapons, making (likely) illegal modifications, smuggling.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Now don't be reaching for the "why does anyone need..." argument. Not on THIS board. LOL Fine with focusing on the illegal aspects... prohibited weapons, making (likely) illegal modifications, smuggling.
No did not mean it like that, meaning why does someone need prohibit weapons, yea i was thinking maybe selling them to street gangs towards the drug trade.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Banned

now he can't get guns to the people who take care of the balance in the world of "if you play by the sword....",,,, no tools for scumbags to remove scumbags.

Silencers eh? but you never know, maybe he likes the kick of the gun while hunting but not the bang that goes with it.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:44 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
The average shooter goes through 100,000 rounds in a couple trips to the range?
Old 11-25-2011, 12:53 PM

Keg... - if you read this one... which one of our points does this make? was it harassment or a valid search and seizure well within the law?

they used the law to get a guy with illegal firearms ect. Did he deserve it or should he be allowed to have all of this stuff?
Old 11-25-2011, 03:49 PM

Polices also found a workshop set up to modify firearms, five partial weapons in the process of being modified

Not your average every day Hobbyist.

Grizz
Old 11-25-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Missed the double 00 after the one
Old 11-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Banned

maybe he has insider info about a zombie apocalypse.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I haven't shot high volume center fire for a few years, but used to go through 40lbs or better of powder in a season for one caliber - it's not that hard to do with a 308 if you are shooting every other day or so, and it is why some people say a 308 will never wear out when others are changing arrel every season .
A match rifle is gonzo, with that volume in one year under normal conditions..
.223? Crap, 100,000 rounds is REAL high volume , especially since i shoot a single shot bolt action!!
Cat
Old 11-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Banned

I always try to get as many details about incidents like this. We know that a lot of big busts advertised by the police have turned into little dribbly nothings.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
I always try to get as many details about incidents like this. We know that a lot of big busts advertised by the police have turned into little dribbly nothings.
Agreed. This one could just be an overzealous hobbyist who holds lots of contempt for Canada's firearms legislation. The potential exists he may never have done harm with these firearms were it not for his being caught at the border. Admittedly the potential also exists he could have been doing some illegal arms trafficking. What disturbs me; is that if this guy is the former and aside from the possession and smuggling hasn't committed any other crimes or victimized people; he'll likely get a harsher sentence than someone who's been peddling meth to kids or a drunk driver who killed someone.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:03 PM

I actually knew this guy quite a few years ago when I was going to EMT school, he had something to do with the college. I do remember we talked often about guns and he would say I should join him out at the range sometime as he had a vast array of different firearms. I do remember he said he wasn't into hunting just target shooting.
One thing I can say about him he seemed like a stand up guy, and he did posetivly contribute to society through his job for many years.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:06 PM

Default Media

I've said it before and agree with Greylynx.
NEWSFLASH!
Don't believe everything you here/see in the media reports.
Bye and large these guys don't get the story complete. Often times when given the chance to make it right, they screw that up too.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:14 PM
Banned

I bet the guy was a hobbyist and collector.

Like a lot of people, he probably didn't like all the red tape, but at the same time, it appears he didn't take enough precautions.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:27 PM

I think I may have over 6 or 7 thousand rounds in the old ammo chest. The rimfire and pistol ammo sure tend to add up fairly quick. I don't think I have less than 200 rounds for any centerfire rifle I have. What's potentially weird is that I think a little inventory reinforcement in a few caliber's might be called for. I don't even have a crate of surplus for my SKS. That's like having the little Kool-aid mix envelopes and no 5lb bag of white sugar!
Old 11-25-2011, 05:31 PM

I am curious to know if the charges fall under the "firearms act" or the "criminal code".......

LC
Old 11-25-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
I bet the guy was a hobbyist and collector.

Like a lot of people, he probably didn't like all the red tape, but at the same time, it appears he didn't take enough precautions.
Sorry Beeguy....not with 4 prohibs....I could be wrong but I don't think the guy is even old enough to have been grandfathered in...

LC
Old 11-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Oh yeah...I think I went through 50 or 60,000 rounds just getting the old 300wby sighted in. what's it mean when the barrel goes from silver to red by the way???

Let's see...50,000 rounds divided by 20 = 2500 boxes of ammo multiply by $40 a box = $100,000.00. Yikes...that's a porsche right there.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:09 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Missed the double 00 after the one
Dang, and here I thought you'd one heck of a fun guy to hit the range with...lol
Old 11-25-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Polices also found a workshop set up to modify firearms, five partial weapons in the process of being modified

Not your average every day Hobbyist.

Grizz
any decent work shop one cuold easly be siad that its set up to modify firearms. vise, hacksaw, file, and own a firearm and you must be modifing firearms or you wuold not have a work shop.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Banned

So let us see the pictures of everything.

I hope he was making really cool stuff, but chances are all we will see are a bunch of sawed off barrels......which equals prohib.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Oh yeah...I think I went through 50 or 60,000 rounds just getting the old 300wby sighted in. what's it mean when the barrel goes from silver to red by the way???

Let's see...50,000 rounds divided by 20 = 2500 boxes of ammo multiply by $40 a box = $100,000.00. Yikes...that's a porsche right there.
A fairly used Porsche if the ammo is all crated 7.62x39 comm bloc surplus. Or an old 924 with bald tires if most of it is bulk .22 LR.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
A fairly used Porsche if the ammo is all crated 7.62x39 comm bloc surplus. Or an old 924 with bald tires if most of it is bulk .22 LR.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:45 PM

the amuont of ammo means nothing the amuont of fimearms mean nothing.the only ones that count are the ones that are illegal and the other illegal suff and storage and smuggling charges and possibly trafficing charges and yet with a good lawyer good chance he will walk.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I am curious to know if the charges fall under the "firearms act" or the "criminal code".......

LC
From the sounds of it, some of each.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor