Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
Politically correct.

Thank you.

You probably are balanced?

This response is meant to be non offensive.
I apparently offend plenty of folks. I just don't need to do it with every post. So what's your point?
Old 05-29-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
After the bow and arrow was invented, I wonder if the old-timer stone club users derided the people who used the new technology.
Of course they did. And complained incessantly about how the world was going to hell in a handbasket, and that today's kids (circa 14,000 BC) were lazy and disrespectful morons, not like them at that age.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I have to admit I did what I accuse others of doing. I didn't read the OPs post very carefully. But having talked with him, person to person, and having now read his post carefully, I think you are right.
I think I picked up OP's intent on 2nd read. I would have not done the second reading but then I read the spitting in eye and destroying future generation stuff.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I apparently offend plenty of folks. I just don't need to do it with every post. So what's your point?

Your answer to a pointed post was good,i know i wasn't capable of giving an unbiased answer.

Thank you.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:35 PM
Banned

For people like Covey and others who deny logic and science I suggest possibly a personal conversation with a game manager may sink in! but I doubt it.

One of the reasons game does well in occupied land is that many people living there do not allow hunting and game does move to where it's not stressed. This has absolutely nothing to do with general hunting.

The concept that improved hunting gear and especially bows, results in higher kill ratios is incredibly simple and it's hard to see how so many people deny it. An increasing number of hunters using more effective equipment means more animals killed. Unless animals are infinite in production this yields only one result no matter how warped the logic to deny it.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Of course they did. And complained incessantly about how the world was going to hell in a handbasket, and that today's kids (circa 14,000 BC) were lazy and disrespectful morons, not like them at that age.
Well Oky, in my perspective you always seem to ride the grey line. Not wanting to be too argumentative or not wanting to get a time out. Which is fine by me. However, I don't share your approach as you may well know by now, it's either black or white, right or wrong by me. And of course, I realize that my opinions bring me at times to being sent to the penalty box. I do like your post however, just saying. I still don't quite understand the post that I've tagged. You seem too evasive.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstone View Post
For people like Covey and others who deny logic and science I suggest possibly a personal conversation with a game manager may sink in! but I doubt it.
I did not think logic and science was the topic of this thread. I have been known to hijack a thread or switch gears from time to time.

My logic is that the population of the world is expanding and there is less room for game. My logic is that as the population expands there will be more hunters competing for game on public land. As the population expands there will be more who think wolves should repopulate in the wild. More wolves means less game that is popular for food as well as sport.

There are many things that might shrink the game population on public land including public access.

Sure, more technology and efficient killing might be responsible for less game
but controlled killing is needed to manage game since we are living where the game used to live.

Yes, using technology to be more precise and surgical in killing might mean more dead game but those biologist that you speak so highly of should take that into account when managing seasonal harvest.

I am so way off topic now that I am happy to leave it to you thinking of me as one who denies logic and science.

I will leave thinking of you as one very limited in logics and science.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I have to admit I did what I accuse others of doing. I didn't read the OPs post very carefully. But having talked with him, person to person, and having now read his post carefully, I think you are right.

As for me, I don't use much in the way of modern technology in hunting or fishing. I don't own a lot of electronics. But I have certainly thought about how I would like to try some of it.

I see what the guys with the electronics have to do to get game and fish and I'm happy with doing it old school.

But if such technology had been available when I was young, I have no doubt I would have acquired as much of it as I could, and I would have depended on it to assist me in hunting and fishing.

Now I think I was fortunate that I had no other option but to learn old school ways and I believe I'm better off for it.
It allows me to get away from the crowds, to experience hunting and fishing in a more personal way.

I expect it is near impossible for those who have never experienced old school hunting to even imagine that it can still work much less understand the benefits it provides.

And to be honest, I can't afford to hunt the modern way. Like I said, I don't own much in the way of electronics. I also don't own a quad or other ATV.
I don't own a modern rifle. I don't own a decked out camper.
I can't afford such things, simple as that.

And I can't afford to drive for hours or to drive half way across Canada to harvest game.

That's why I've never hunted Elk or Sheep or Mountain Goats. It's why I've never caught a Bass or fished the Bow river.

But I suspect I spend more time afield then most, and eat more wild game things then most. That too is a result to some extent, of having lived a life on a blue collar salary.

What I am saying is that I hunt the way I do because it's what I can afford. Not because I have anything against any other way of hunting.

Everyone has to start somewhere. I for one am glad there is technology to help new hunters learn the ways of the hunt.
I just hope that they too will learn the benefits of old school ways and knowledge.
We have never talked person to person, unless in my sleep or something weird. LOL
Old 05-29-2017, 08:40 PM

Good post Keg River.

Nothing wrong with a person too pick and choose what he or she needs too gett'er done.

I thought about the trail cams so I can see a picture of the big one,,, but when I see larger hoof prints in the mud, I know their there.

Electronic game calls would be nice, but the simple calls work for me since I don't need to pack batteries.

The fancy tree stands would be nice, but making what I can with what's there works for me.

My rifle sticks / stick is a survey lathe, Harrison by-poles if the ground vegetation isn't too tall.

Some things I have others things I don't.
I still get a kick out of using my imagination on tracks and bedding areas as they allow my mind too dream about what critters put them there.

Large deep tracks tipped out wards means I'm onto the burns in life.

Strait narrow tracks less in spread represent smaller animals.
Of course I must remember the weather patterns of rain and soft grounds as this can fool the eyes and mind at times.

The learning never ends for young and older harvest gathers.

Good thread that might produce ideas before alot of these new gadgets came along.
My mind says yes too these gadgets, but my wallet says no.

Don
Old 05-29-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Good post Keg River.

Nothing wrong with a person too pick and choose what he or she needs too gett'er done.

I thought about the trail cams so I can see a picture of the big one,,, but when I see larger hoof prints in the mud, I know their there.

Electronic game calls would be nice, but the simple calls work for me since I don't need to pack batteries.

The fancy tree stands would be nice, but making what I can with what's there works for me.

My rifle sticks / stick is a survey lathe, Harrison by-poles if the ground vegetation isn't too tall.

Some things I have others things I don't.
I still get a kick out of using my imagination on tracks and bedding areas as they allow my mind too dream about what critters put them there.

Large deep tracks tipped out wards means I'm onto the burns in life.

Strait narrow tracks less in spread represent smaller animals.
Of course I must remember the weather patterns of rain and soft grounds as this can fool the eyes and mind at times.

The learning never ends for young and older harvest gathers.

Good thread that might produce ideas before alot of these new gadgets came along.
My mind says yes too these gadgets, but my wallet says no.

Don
My wallet says no to this cuz it always says yes to two kids
Old 05-30-2017, 04:00 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
We have never talked person to person, unless in my sleep or something weird. LOL
I could be thinking of someone else.

Some folks here think I hold grudges, if they only knew, I can't remember well enough to hold a grudge, or remember a name. ROFL

It comes with the gray hair.

And my wife is ten times worse at remembering. She can't remember what I want to drink for supper, a minute after I tell her.

Life gets interesting when you start down the other side of the hill.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-30-2017, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yup...been going on for about that long.
Look up Franz Liszt, one of my favorite composers.
In his time he was the 'bad boy' of the music world.
A lot of concert halls wouldn't let him perform because his audience, mainly younger people tended to trash the halls he performed in.
And way before women were throwing their clothes onstage at Rod Stewart concerts they were tossing them onstage at Liszt concerts.
I'm sure the Beethoven listening parents were wondering what the heck was up with this younger generation.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Well Oky, in my perspective you always seem to ride the grey line. Not wanting to be too argumentative or not wanting to get a time out. Which is fine by me. However, I don't share your approach as you may well know by now, it's either black or white, right or wrong by me. And of course, I realize that my opinions bring me at times to being sent to the penalty box. I do like your post however, just saying. I still don't quite understand the post that I've tagged. You seem too evasive.
Git, I wasn't referring to you at all in what I wrote. It was just a general comment regarding the usual "things were better when I was young" comment and that we see EVERY generation say it. Wasn't even thinking about you or your original post when I said it. Relax.
Closed Thread