Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-07-2022, 04:11 PM

Default New scope

Wondering if anyone has a Swarovski Z8i 3.5X28X50 and what they think of it,my son is trying to decide on his next new scope and this Swaro is the front runner ?
Old 09-07-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
Wondering if anyone has a Swarovski Z8i 3.5X28X50 and what they think of it,my son is trying to decide on his next new scope and this Swaro is the front runner ?
Is it for target purposes?

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-07-2022, 06:23 PM

Default Oops

Sorry,this scope will be used for Hunting
Old 09-07-2022, 06:56 PM

I would say anything over 16 power is a waste for hunting. 3-15, 4-16 are nice ranges if you need high power.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-07-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
Sorry,this scope will be used for Hunting
Hands down I would go with Leupold!! Light, accurate, maintain zero beautifully if mounted correct, and any warranty issues are dealt with here in Alberta! Never had any warranty issues however I did order a turret from them, and it was to my door in 3 days!
Old 09-07-2022, 07:05 PM

That's an awful lot of scope for a hunting rifle. I think he may be better served by a Z5 in 3.5-18, and he can pocket a lot of change as well. I personally don't like 50mm scopes on hunting rifles. They generally need higher rings and mess up your cheek weld.
Old 09-07-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
Hands down I would go with Leupold!! Light, accurate, maintain zero beautifully if mounted correct, and any warranty issues are dealt with here in Alberta! Never had any warranty issues however I did order a turret from them, and it was to my door in 3 days!
Interesting. Leupold over a Z5 swaro. Not the route I would go when you have the money for the swaro.
As said in another post, an 3.5x18 would suit your needs well
Old 09-07-2022, 07:40 PM

I am a leupy guy but I am playing with a 5x25 at with the ballistic turret...jury is still out...it is on a 7rem mag...most of my shooting is range work...practicing now from 500 to 700yds...maybe 2 shots hunting each year...I find the glass on the swaro better for my tired eyes...lol...
Old 09-07-2022, 08:32 PM

I like Leupold but the Swarovski tops that choice. There was a time when every hunting and target rifle had a Leupold Goldring. All of the hunting rifles now have Swarovski Z3 and Z5 optics.
Old 09-07-2022, 08:33 PM

I have Z3, Z5, Zeiss 6x20 conquest with mild dot reticle. and Leupold on hunting rifles. My favourite is the Z5 3.5x18x44 BRX reticle. Second is the 4.5x14x40 Boone and Crocket v3i, then the Zeiss. Zeiss has better glass than Leupold but the turrets don't lock, which can be tricky if you forget to check them prior to shooting but it is on my antelope and coyote rifle so the turrets dont get much of anything dragged across them in open country. . I can't imagine needing more than 18 power on a hunting rifle and I have old eyes. .
Old 09-07-2022, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Interesting. Leupold over a Z5 swaro. Not the route I would go when you have the money for the swaro.
As said in another post, an 3.5x18 would suit your needs well
The fact that any issues with your scope can be resolved quickly speaks volumes, so does customer service, and to say you can’t purchase high end Leupold scopes is false, and yes every scope manufacturer has many of their products currently having warranty work done, last thing you want when hunting season comes is to have to buy another scope because your main is sitting in limbo! Like I said above if you’re looking for a good quality hunting scope Leupold is a great way to go!
Old 09-07-2022, 09:01 PM

Quote:
The fact that any issues with your scope can be resolved quickly speaks volumes, so does customer service, and to say you can’t purchase high end Leupold scopes is false, and yes every scope manufacturer has many of their products currently having warranty work done, last thing you want when hunting season comes is to have to buy another scope because your main is sitting in limbo! Like I said above if you’re looking for a good quality hunting scope Leupold is a great way to go!
In 55 years of hunting hard I have never had to send a Leupold, swaro or Zeiss in for repair except for a couple that I broke from impact damage. Not the scopes fault at all. I have also never had only one good hunting scope so if one was off getting fixed I still wasnt hooped. For years we carried a spare rifle, then only a spare scope and after never needing one, quit doing that 20 years ago. If I pooched a scope during hunting season I would just buy another, because even Leupold takes 6 to 7 weeks to turn a scope around and that would be way more of the season than I would be prepared to give up. If money is tight sell the repaired when when you get it back.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:23 PM

I never met a group of hunters that doest have a back up rifle,l or several, and as you stated you’ve had scopes in for repair, would you care to share your customer experiences with everyone, as I believe that would be valuable info for the poster . I have refrained from purchasing from manufactures specifically for poor customer service i.e H&K, and Taurus, but I can’t speak of Swarovski, also what would your scope recommendation be to birdseye?
Old 09-07-2022, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
I like Leupold but the Swarovski tops that choice. There was a time when every hunting and target rifle had a Leupold Goldring. All of the hunting rifles now have Swarovski Z3 and Z5 optics.
This is how I would roll as well. I'm a peasant, so I'm running Nikon and Leupold, and will be upgrading to Swaro when funds permit.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
I’d never recommend a leupold
I think they are very over rated
The only one I would even remotely consider using is the mark 5
There is nothing that leupold makes that would be in the same category as a z8
For that kind of money, your in the big dog territory.
I would personally look at march scopes
I have a tangent theta
It’s fantastic
Night force 👎
ZEISS v8 are their top hunting scopes and the new lrp is excellent as well
Kahles are really good. Swaro tactical line up
For this kind of money the swaro ds is also an option too
Schmidt and bender have come out with some great scopes recently

Lots of options
The biggest problem is seeing them before you buy them
Old 09-07-2022, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I never met a group of hunters that doest have a back up rifle,l or several, and as you stated you’ve had scopes in for repair, would you care to share your customer experiences with everyone, as I believe that would be valuable info for the poster . I have refrained from purchasing from manufactures specifically for poor customer service i.e H&K, and Taurus, but I can’t speak of Swarovski, also what would your scope recommendation be to birdseye?
Both scopes I bashed were Leupold. Excellent service, no charge for the one repair, no charge for an upgraded replacement on the other as it was bashed beyond repair. Never sent a Swaro for repair. Leica, sent my Douvid binoculars in as they wouldn't focus properly any more, excellent repair, fairly fast, no charge on 12 year old binoculars. Zeiss, no repairs. Like I said above, owning all my favourite is the swaro at 3.5x18x44 with the BRX or BRH. I have them on both rifles that I use for 90% of my big game hunting.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:35 PM

While I don't doubt a Mark 8 is a nice scope, they are also huge, heavy, FFP. Wasn't really designed as a hunting scope. It can be used for it, but, unless I was sitting on a field in a stand, don't really want it. Great range/PRS scope no doubt, not the greatest of hunting scopes, wrong application in most cases.
As others have said, Swaro, Zeiss in a 3-10, 4-12, 3.8-18 SFP scopes will work better for general hunting, max with a 44mm objective, can get away with med rings on a lot of guns, 50mm will need high ones on many, maybe get away with med on some configs. good 42mm objectives work just fine in all light conditions, can also get illuminated reticles in a lot of them.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
While I don't doubt a Mark 8 is a nice scope, they are also huge, heavy, FFP. Wasn't really designed as a hunting scope. It can be used for it, but, unless I was sitting on a field in a stand, don't really want it. Great range/PRS scope no doubt, not the greatest of hunting scopes, wrong application in most cases.
As others have said, Swaro, Zeiss in a 3-10, 4-12, 3.8-18 SFP scopes will work better for general hunting, max with a 44mm objective, can get away with med rings on a lot of guns, 50mm will need high ones on many, maybe get away with med on some configs. good 42mm objectives work just fine in all light conditions, can also get illuminated reticles in a lot of them.
https://www.swarovskioptik.com/ca/en...y-the-vastness
This is the scope he’s interested in
Not the leupold
You got caught up in all the leupold talk
Old 09-08-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
I am a leupy guy but I am playing with a 5x25 at with the ballistic turret...jury is still out...it is on a 7rem mag...most of my shooting is range work...practicing now from 500 to 700yds...maybe 2 shots hunting each year...I find the glass on the swaro better for my tired eyes...lol...
5 x 25 is the Z5
Old 09-08-2022, 04:57 PM

Hey Mark, why the thumbs down on NF?
Old 09-08-2022, 05:18 PM

Mark may have different reasons but mine are, lousy glass and REALLY fargin heavy. Have had a couple. They are tough as a rock axe, so if ability to withstand abuse is the main consideration like the military there probably is no tougher made scope, but that really is their only major plus.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:41 PM

I have a Schmidt and bender 5x25x56 PM2 FFP MSR2 Reticle DT II+ MTC LT / ST II ZC LT. Its a fantastic scope glass is amazing the look of it the function of it everything about it.
I don't care that its larger than I need for hunting, it doesn't bother me that its heavy when walking for a while. I just know I have the best scope for all my needs with the rifle, but it wasn't cheap I got it whilst in England shipped from Germany, was £3,300 GBP but I know I will have it for life and always wanted one.
The decision is ultimately yours and I always got told whatever you spend on a rifle you should spend double on your optics.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Mark may have different reasons but mine are, lousy glass and REALLY fargin heavy. Have had a couple. They are tough as a rock axe, so if ability to withstand abuse is the main consideration like the military there probably is no tougher made scope, but that really is their only major plus.
I agree. Tried one for a season and sent it down the road. Subpar glass and very very heavy compared to others. Tough yes, but I don’t beat my rifle like the military do.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
I agree. Tried one for a season and sent it down the road. Subpar glass and very very heavy compared to others. Tough yes, but I don’t beat my rifle like the military do.
Also The magnification rings are super stiff too and the whole eye piece rotates.
The throw levers get in the way and snags everything
I think they are 30% over priced for what you get
The atacr are nice but not $4000 nice
Old 09-08-2022, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo21 View Post
I have a Schmidt and bender 5x25x56 PM2 FFP MSR2 Reticle DT II+ MTC LT / ST II ZC LT. Its a fantastic scope glass is amazing the look of it the function of it everything about it.
I don't care that its larger than I need for hunting, it doesn't bother me that its heavy when walking for a while. I just know I have the best scope for all my needs with the rifle, but it wasn't cheap I got it whilst in England shipped from Germany, was £3,300 GBP but I know I will have it for life and always wanted one.
The decision is ultimately yours and I always got told whatever you spend on a rifle you should spend double on your optics.
Schmidt and benders are top tier
Lots of options now also for magnification range, weigh, intended purpose

This one checks off a lot of boxes
https://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/n...s/3-18x42.html
Old 09-08-2022, 07:48 PM

I also had the Schmidt and bender 8x56 fixed power Hungaria and for close range stuff is was good great at night and in low light and a lot more affordable. Before that I had a MTC Viper I think it’s a Chinese scope it was ok but not in the same league as the Schmidt and benders.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:04 PM

I could like that new S&B. The weight is getting up there for what I would want on a hunting rifle and I could take or leave illumination but I like the mag. range and there is a bunch to like about an SFP plex style reticle/lockable, exposed turrets for shooting game.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:10 PM

I have never had an issue using Leupold scopes , and I have owned and shot a pile of them.
Also had NF Sightron, S&B, Kahles, Tasco( Japanese ) B&L, IOR, and a bunch of others .
I still have an old IOR that I use for troubleshooting because it is so clear and reliable.

In the end it is what a person wants to use, I would never say that one brand is better than another, much the same as rifles.
Cat
Old 09-12-2022, 09:42 AM

Default Scopes

Thank you for the reply’s,my son has added the Schmidt and Bender,Ziess and is curious about the March line up,the swaro is still the front runner,most magnification mentioned can be covered by the swaro,with extra to spare.Does Leupold still produce the VX 6 or 7,his buddy mentioned the Leupold 6-7 if they are still in the list of Leupolds.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:29 AM

Why is over 15x too much for hunting??? If a person wants to use 50x for hunting because they want to see it better that should be their choice. I've hunted with everything from open sights to 50x. From ranges of 3yards to 650yards... And target shot out to 2700m with 5-50x. Certain situations call for more and other times less. Swaro is a good brand and has great glass even in lower light. It's not the $300 Cabela's special going up to 25x and you can barely make a black and white target out at 200yards on a warm day.

If you like the reticle and how it looks and how the adjustments work, go for it. Just because it does have higher magnification than you need at that moment doesn't mean the next time you use it the situation will be the same.

You can always dial down, but you can't add what you don't have.