Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-04-2011, 09:42 PM

Default winter tires...what to do?

I am pondering winter tires...safety and all those reasons.

So I have looked at Toyo GSi2 tires...ones with walnuts in them...but they are twice as expensive as say a Goodyear Nordic Tire.

There are Xi2 tires also out there...

What do people think of the Toyos?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

So I have looked at Toyo GSi2 tires...ones with walnuts in them...but they are twice as expensive as say a Goodyear Nordic Tire.

I used the nokian vativa's before they are an excellent winter tire.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
I heard that from a buddy. Yours is not studded is it? Does it have any additional gripping additives like the walnut thing?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:49 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

Got the Nordics on both vehicles and really like them
Old 11-04-2011, 09:51 PM

I bought 4, Im sure there called Blizzards from BridgeStone. Extremely reliable and really safe to drive. I had to drive from High River to the NE everyday and I always stuck to the road...

I would highly reccomend these tires for winter
Old 11-04-2011, 09:56 PM

Default Winter Tires

Nokian Hakkapeliitta, studded.

I've run them on three different vehicles now. Hands down the best snow tire I've ever used.

Provided you drive properly, nothing can help you defy physics!!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
I heard that from a buddy. Yours is not studded is it? Does it have any additional gripping additives like the walnut thing?
I don't think you can stud them I can't remember it's been a while since I used them,I do know on my old truck that I had it came factory with garbage tires tiger paws or whatever they were,I used it for 1 season and had my quad in the back and I still had to put it in 4x4 all the time,the next year I put the nokian's on and it was like night and day,no quad and hardly ever used 4x4.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

I've run them on three different vehicles now. Hands down the best snow tire I've ever used.

X2, I've got them on both my toyotas, and they are excellent. I run Michellin X-Ice on my work van, (got them before the Nokians), and they are good, but not nearly like the Haks.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-04-2011, 10:47 PM

We run the Toyos on our trucks year round down here for the Sheriffs office. We run a mix of real bad dirt roads and highway. From what I understand we used to run winter and summer tires until the SO found the Toyos. Since then we have only run them and they last even running them year round. Best I heard was them lasting 4 years and we put on average 3500 miles a month.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:51 PM

I put a set of Toyo GSI-5's on my truck this week so I'll find out how they work. I was pleased with them this morning but it's hard to form a solid opinion this early on. They ride smooth and no difference in noise level over stock tires. They do not "roll" nearly as much as Blizzaks that I had on the minivan last year. The thing went from a normal handling minivan to a marshmallow in the corners. I hated that fealing.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:57 PM

Bought my mom some Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires during a 4 for 3 deal and today was there first test with ice. She had no issues... until she stepped out of the truck.

I did notice one rather large balancing weight on the front driver though. Kind of chitty for $300 each tires.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:

I just got Nokian HAK. 791$ installed with allignment. Rated #1 winter tire for hwy/city driving.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:

X3!
Old 11-04-2011, 11:27 PM

Marangoni

http://www.marangoni.com/

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 11-04-2011, 11:40 PM

Default Order them online

I get all my tires online. From either:

1. Tirerack.com

2. Tiretrends.com

The last tires I bought were $1500 cheaper from tirerack than in Calgary all in. Do remember to compare with shipping including (about $115). I usually go through their list of tires in my size and find a great set on discount or sale.

Tiretrends is OK I bought some tires from them for my mom once as they were cheaper than tirerack. Only time though. Usually I get dinged $20 brokerage fee for trierack.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
I just replaced the worn out Goodyear Wranglers on my truck with a set of Vatiivas, so I will have to get back to you on my review. The reason I went with them is my brother has run them on his Titan for a several years now and swears by them. He has the LTs and they seem to wear very well, I don't haul a lot of weight so I went for the lighter duty version. Apparently it is some type of silcone in the rubber that gives them traction over a wide temp range? We also have the WRG2s on our car and they perform well on snow and ice.

FYI, these tires are discontinued and being replaced with the Rotiiva which is a "winter rated" tire. Luckily, Kal still had some left in my size and the pricing was excellent...I'm looking forward to trying them out this winter.

Last edited by Mayhem; 11-05-2011 at 12:33 AM. Reason: more info
Old 11-05-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:

Best snow tyres out there...period.

Last year I did not want to spring for the Nokians, so I spent only $1200 for a set of General Altimax Arctics, which are not disappointing me.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:36 AM

no matter what tires you get for your pick-up....throw some sandbags in the back,ok?
You can thank me latter..
Old 11-05-2011, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJ View Post
no matter what tires you get for your pick-up....throw some sandbags in the back,ok?
You can thank me latter..
X2 saved me a few times. Pea gravel bags. Does not freeze after it gets wet and a little more traction.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:27 AM

Default Michelin "X-Ice"

You need to make the distinction between snow or ice, is it for driving in deeper snow or on highway ice. For snow I'd recommend the Nokia but if it's for mainly highway driving and ice is the issue go with the Michelin " x-ice" I put on 70k per year and put them on my Avalanche. My stopping distance has been reduced by a huge amount , the ride and handle well and wear like iron.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:43 AM
Banned

Quote:

Years ago, a "saw-dust" winter tire was available. That was before steel belted radials. I thought the concept was that the rubber around the wood chips eroded, leaving a rough surface to deal with the slippery conditions. I don't know if these walnut tires are the same but the sawdust twins did not last and had to be replaced often. I'd recommend Cooper tires.

Free (to extend an olive branch)
Old 11-05-2011, 07:26 AM

i have been running Toyo GO2'S OBSERVES( walnut tires) for about 10 years.
First put them on a rural commuter van( rear wheel drive) and they had dramatic positive impact. typically winter tires have softer compounds that stick to ice , but wear quickly-Not the case with the TOYO'S.
Next i put the tires on a 2002 Honda CRV also great results changing out MICHELIN X-ICES that came with the vehicle when I bought it., but when I put TOYO'S on my gf'S little Honda Fit I was less impressed. I think it has something to do with the weight of the car.
They are a directional tire so need to stay on the same side of the vehicle for their life.

Last edited by omega50; 11-05-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Banned

studded...any studded tire..and you won't look back
Old 11-05-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
I put a set of Toyo GSI-5's on my truck this week so I'll find out how they work. I was pleased with them this morning but it's hard to form a solid opinion this early on. They ride smooth and no difference in noise level over stock tires. They do not "roll" nearly as much as Blizzaks that I had on the minivan last year. The thing went from a normal handling minivan to a marshmallow in the corners. I hated that fealing.
Cool...when researching tires...I was surprised to hear walnuts shells are built into tires. Apparently the fact that the shells are one of the hardest nature made materials made sense. As they wear out so does the rubber...so a continuous supply of extra grip.

Please give a few more updates. They are expensive...but do they grip better is my question.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Years ago, a "saw-dust" winter tire was available. That was before steel belted radials. I thought the concept was that the rubber around the wood chips eroded, leaving a rough surface to deal with the slippery conditions. I don't know if these walnut tires are the same but the sawdust twins did not last and had to be replaced often. I'd recommend Cooper tires.

Free (to extend an olive branch)
Olive branch accepted big guy! Interesting fact about the saw dust. Probably before my time buying tires. When reading up on the whole walnut shells...it appears they are super hard as far a nature made anyways. I believe at least a portion of the extra grip probably comes from the walnut shells biting into the ice...but when you think about it when the chunks fall out it probably does create tire pits that also aid in grip.

Interesting about the sawdust. Nice trivia.

Cheers

Sun
Old 11-05-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
i have been running Toyo GO2'S OBSERVES( walnut tires) for about 10 years.
First put them on a rural commuter van( rear wheel drive) and they had dramatic positive impact. typically winter tires have softer compounds that stick to ice , but wear quickly-Not the case with the TOYO'S.
Next i put the tires on a 2002 Honda CRV also great results changing out MICHELIN X-ICES that came with the vehicle when I bought it., but when I put TOYO'S on my gf'S little Honda Fit I was less impressed. I think it has something to do with the weight of the car.
They are a directional tire so need to stay on the same side of the vehicle for their life.
Interesting. I need them for a sienna mini van. So the weight should not be an issue I would think? I guess when you rotate you just go front to back and then reverse.

Now I just need to find out who is cheapest in town. phoning around has always saved me money on tires.

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 11-05-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:54 AM

Default question

i have a friend looking for winter tires as well.
she is driving a new toyota corolla.

best option for that car?

thanks

orv.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:56 AM

Default Sienna

My Sienna was one of the vehicles I ran the Hakkas on. Perfect.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:40 AM

I've ran the toyos for a few years now and have had a great time with them. I bought the g-02's and they've lasted me two winters and I kept them on all this summer and they still have a fair amount of tread left! Just had them replaced with a new set of the same from OK Tire Lethbridge for just over $800 and I have a rebate for $70 still to send in.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:43 PM

Question Nokian WR G2

Has anyone tried the Nokian WR G2 All-'Weather' tires?

From what I understand, they are not true winter tires, but they are much better in winter than your typical all-'season' tires. And you can run them on your vehicle, all year-round.

TF