Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
cryptocurrencies are completely safe they said
They are! LOL They know exactly where the cryptos are, they just can't get to them because they don't know the laptop password or the private keys to the cold wallets.

Honestly, I've read the court petition regarding the stay of proceedings so that they can select new directors, and I've read the affidavit that requests creditor protection, and both of those seem like standard moves when a company is in this type of situation.

What is atypical is that a guy who was an early adopter of crypto (meaning he was in the sector likely because of his belief that decentralization is the future), would centralize the corporate custody to such an extent that he becomes the lone, weakest link himself, especially knowing that he had health issues and was travelling in a 3rd world country. He was in a right state of mind enough to update his will a couple of weeks before travelling, so I don't really buy the exit scam by Gerald Cotten theory.

As such, it leads me to believe that:
- Cotten is actually deceased (possibly through foul play)
- but it was someone else who took the opportunity to sit on the private keys in the hopes of pulling off an exit scam (the wife? perhaps... more likely some business associates)

Lots of crazy possibilities going on with this case,but what it comes down to is this:
- Ernst & Young are reputable and will dig deep
- RCMP will likely be involved
- the accounts can be monitored, so even if someone DOES have the keys, any transactions can be seen... and any movement there will be assumed to be either theft, or to be QCX having found private keys for the cold storage wallets and transferring assets to E&Y's control for post-procedings distribution
Old 02-05-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJKing View Post
They are! LOL They know exactly where the cryptos are, they just can't get to them because they don't know the laptop password or the private keys to the cold wallets.

Honestly, I've read the court petition regarding the stay of proceedings so that they can select new directors, and I've read the affidavit that requests creditor protection, and both of those seem like standard moves when a company is in this type of situation.

What is atypical is that a guy who was an early adopter of crypto (meaning he was in the sector likely because of his belief that decentralization is the future), would centralize the corporate custody to such an extent that he becomes the lone, weakest link himself, especially knowing that he had health issues and was travelling in a 3rd world country. He was in a right state of mind enough to update his will a couple of weeks before travelling, so I don't really buy the exit scam by Gerald Cotten theory.

As such, it leads me to believe that:
- Cotten is actually deceased (possibly through foul play)
- but it was someone else who took the opportunity to sit on the private keys in the hopes of pulling off an exit scam (the wife? perhaps... more likely some business associates)

Lots of crazy possibilities going on with this case,but what it comes down to is this:
- Ernst & Young are reputable and will dig deep
- RCMP will likely be involved
- the accounts can be monitored, so even if someone DOES have the keys, any transactions can be seen... and any movement there will be assumed to be either theft, or to be QCX having found private keys for the cold storage wallets and transferring assets to E&Y's control for post-procedings distribution
Are you saying then that the thousands of investors with frozen assets will recover 100% of them?
Old 02-05-2019, 08:59 PM

No. But I sincerely believe that at least SOME recovery is possible with E&Y and RCMP involved.

I was being facetious... yes, those cryptos are 'safe' because they're locked away. So safe that they company can't even get to them.

Aside from that, the whole situation is a bit of a punch in the eye for crypto.

If the issue is that the cold storage keys are missing, that’s bad for investor confidence because it means that an error on behalf of someone else can ruin you in an instant.

If the cold storage issue gets sorted through somehow getting around the private keys, then it is bad for crypto because it shows that there is a security issue that can be exploited.

Either way, it's not great for the public's confidence in investing in crypto. Regulation of exchanges and proper on/off ramps for fiat would have fixed a lot of this stuff. The lengths that they were forced to go to (some of which I don't approve of), to operate as a business would have been much less controversial if they had an ounce of regulatory support. As much as mistakes were made inside QCX, I will happily dump a lot of blame on the hostile Canadian banking system and a government too stupid to see that this is a sector worth supporting above almost all others.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJKing View Post
No. But I sincerely believe that at least SOME recovery is possible with E&Y and RCMP involved.

I was being facetious... yes, those cryptos are 'safe' because they're locked away. So safe that they company can't even get to them.

Aside from that, the whole situation is a bit of a punch in the eye for crypto.

If the issue is that the cold storage keys are missing, that’s bad for investor confidence because it means that an error on behalf of someone else can ruin you in an instant.

If the cold storage issue gets sorted through somehow getting around the private keys, then it is bad for crypto because it shows that there is a security issue that can be exploited.

Either way, it's not great for the public's confidence in investing in crypto. Regulation of exchanges and proper on/off ramps for fiat would have fixed a lot of this stuff. The lengths that they were forced to go to (some of which I don't approve of), to operate as a business would have been much less controversial if they had an ounce of regulatory support. As much as mistakes were made inside QCX, I will happily dump a lot of blame on the hostile Canadian banking system and a government too stupid to see that this is a sector worth supporting above almost all others.
So what are you gonna do with the $190 mil?
Old 02-05-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
So what are you gonna do with the $190 mil?
That $190m figure is in USD. It's actually $180m (CAD) in crypto assets, and $70m (CAD) in cash for $250m CAD total that is owed, last I heard.

Even when/if all of the missing keys and such gets sorted, the company still doesn't have enough to cover its client deposits (due to poor management, not a failing of the assets themselves). Quadriga has been playing catch-up ever since it lost $14m (CAD) in crypto in June 2017 due to a typo in some code. Then they got slammed by Canadian Banks. Then the bear market started and dropped the value of the corporate assets that they held internally. Then when they won their suit against the banks, they got cheques for their millions from the courts, but nobody will honour those drafts. Then Cotten died with the keys.

Basically, it's a perfect storm of mistakes, mismanagement, hostile banks, unfortunate events.

Ultimately, I think if it's a matter of getting through the encryption on the laptop in order to get the keys to access the funds, then I think that might just happen. If it's a matter of trying to crack the keys, forget it, all's lost (except for what remains in the hot wallets and the amounts that the drafts are written for because I'm sure those will eventually get cashed). Either way, apparently their total holdings don't cover their debts.

I'll be happy if I get some of it back, but I'm just really glad I didn't lose more than I did.

Personally, I still think that someone in the company knows more than they're saying. I do believe that Cotten may in fact be dead, but I also think that there's some hanky-panky happening behind the scenes, possibly with the payment processor (the one that QCX was working with, can't remember the name) side of things.

As a screenwriter, my mind has invented so many stories/theories around this:
- Cotten died, biz partners take funds but deny that they have any access.
- maybe someone learned that Cotten was the sole crypto keeper for the company because he got drunk one night and said as much to the wrong people and the nabbed him, tortured him for access, then killed him and they're just waiting for the right time to swipe all the assets
- maybe the Canadian banks heard that he was headed overseas and had him killed in retribution for QCX's precedent setting Supreme Court win, which effectively kills QCX, but does significant damage to the crypto sphere
- maybe his life was threatened and he's in hiding, faking his death, not to exit scam, but just to get off the radar until authorities can find the ones who threatened him
- maybe knowing the company is underwater, the new will he made before disappearing left all his shares to his wife, but also transferred crypto to a hidden wallet so that she could play out the media end of his disappearance and steer the investigations as needed (away from Cotten) and after a while, she'll join him with millions that was shaved off of what was possible to recover my the Monitor
- maybe knowing the company was underwater, Cotten simply couldn't manage the stress and in a weak moment chose suicide
- maybe he did exit scam and he's on his private island somewhere, under a new name, abandoning everything he had for a fresh start
- maybe his wife and him were at odds and she had him killed.

So many potential plausible theories... not saying any are true. It's definitely a crazy story at its core.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011laramie View Post
I just want to make enough off crypto to buy a boiler for my shop.
This is the best time to buy , when its low and you sell when its high
Old 02-25-2019, 08:19 AM

Exclamation This is interesting

Found this article on Bitcoin Exchange Guide, dated Feb. 24, 2019, the headline reads: "QuadrigaCX Had €400 Million Seized By Polish Authorities in 2018 For Money Laundering – Connections With Colombian Cartel"
It connects several cryptocurrency exchanges and a payment processor with potential ties to a Colombian drug cartel. Sounds like they have all failed...their investors are shocked.
If this is true, it would help explain why the Canadian banks were hesitant to accept the $30M fund transfer that Ernst & Young recently pulled from QuadrigaCX's hot wallet: it could make them complicit in a drug cartel money laundering scheme.

If anyone is interested, here is the link: https://bitcoinexchangeguide.com/qua...umbian-cartel/

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-25-2019, 05:48 PM

Cable tv, cyber crime show, was just talking about how that 14 year old aka(soupnazi), hacked nasa, hired by cia, then was stealing credit card info. sell it to a dude in Ukraine, and he wires money back into those cyber wallets, this was going on like 10 years ago,,,,guess people need to look at history
Old 06-04-2019, 04:56 PM

$10,218 today

I knew I should have bought at $4300

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....