Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-24-2018, 05:44 PM

Default Boat trade question.

I was recently BSing with a neighbor and we got to talking boats. I happened to comment that I was thinking of downgrading my Lund Rebel to a more modest tinner, which I believe would fit my needs a little better. Today he called and proposed to trade me his boat and some cash for mine, a proposition which interests me but I need some advice on what kind of money I should be asking along with his boat to make for a fair trade.

My boat: 2004 16.5 foot Lund Rebel SS, its got a side console and a 50 hp 2 stroke Johnson, well kept and in good condition.

His boat: 16 foot Lowe, not sure on the year but it is mint condition. It looks at least as deep and wide as my Rebel. Its a tiller boat and has a 15 hp Honda four stroke on it. His unit is mint and looks has low hours, the outboard is newer than mine.

So what would be the difference in value with these two units
Old 06-24-2018, 05:55 PM

So how is this other boat down sizing . Its only 6 inches shorter !

His 15 hp engine is way to small for a 16 ft boat
Its more made for a 12 or 14 ft haul.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:22 PM

I wouldn’t trade. U got a great all purpose boat already for most Alberta lakes going smaller won’t allow u to hit some of those lakes especially if a wind picks up. The few dollars u will gain isn’t worth it in my mind
Old 06-24-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
So how is this other boat down sizing . Its only 6 inches shorter !

His 15 hp engine is way to small for a 16 ft boat
Its more made for a 12 or 14 ft haul.
The boat is far lighter, meaning I could pull it up on shore near my house in Widewater rather than driving to the launch every time I want to get my boat out. The launches I use in my area are pretty rough and the Rebel can be wrestling match on occasion. As well, I play around in rivers fairly often and with the Rebel I am always terrified of getting it stuck on a bar or the water level dropping over night (common on the Peace) and leaving me high and dry, a 16 foot tinner can be muscled around far more easily. As well I can use it for hunting without worrying about the carpets stinking of moose ever after.

So that's my logic on considering this trade, I see downsizing as having more plusses than minuses, but perhaps that logic is flawed. Ive ridden in a 16 foot Lund that had a 15 on it and I thought it did allright, but I will try his boat out to make sure the 15 is enough.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:29 PM

I personally would not make that trade. If you were dropping to a 12 or 14 i could see it possibly. But why get a boat with slightly less room in it with an undersized motor? Even if it fits the bill for lighter and less maitenance etc. i used to have a boat like his and thrn upgraded to one like yours - im much happier now. Its heavier and more maitenance but overall on the water leaps and bounds better. If you needed a boat more for small lakkes or pothole lakes then i would be looking at a 12 or 14ft.

But if you are set on it i would say yours is worth around 10,000ish and his around 5,000ish. Thats just a bit of a guess based off of watching kijiji daily for years. Obviously theres variables for what else comes with it etc....

Hope it all works out for ya man,

Cheers
Old 06-24-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhere View Post
I personally would not make that trade. If you were dropping to a 12 or 14 i could see it possibly. But why get a boat with slightly less room in it with an undersized motor? Even if it fits the bill for lighter and less maitenance etc. i used to have a boat like his and thrn upgraded to one like yours - im much happier now. Its heavier and more maitenance but overall on the water leaps and bounds better. If you needed a boat more for small lakkes or pothole lakes then i would be looking at a 12 or 14ft.

But if you are set on it i would say yours is worth around 10,000ish and his around 5,000ish. Thats just a bit of a guess based off of watching kijiji daily for years. Obviously theres variables for what else comes with it etc....

Hope it all works out for ya man,

Cheers
Alright, you guys have almost got me talked out of this trade. Just a couple more points that I didn't mentioned in my second post as to why I would consider it. Firstly, I think his boat actually has more room than mine, due to the lack of a side console. Second, the 15 Hp Honda is the same engine as a the 20 Hp Honda, just de-tuned. I know a guy who used to work at the Honda shop in town and I will be asking him what it takes to bring the HP back up to 20, a job he claims he has done.

So, correct me if I'm wrong but...
To me 20 hp seems like plenty of power for a 16 foot tinner. And on a practical level I don't feel that I will be sacrificing much in sea worthiness (when you live on the lake shore you generally don't bother going out when its nasty anyways, you get to cherry pick your moments) and space will be similar. Speed will obviously be less.

The main thing I will gain is the ability to keep that boat ready to go on the shore of Lesser Slave, less than 200 yards from my house.

The other big benefit is that I can use it to hunt moose on the Peace.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-24-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:34 AM

That 16’ with a 15hp will be a dog! I doubt it will get on plane with with 2 people and no gear. Add gear and for sure it won’t get on plane. If your fishing slave you want a boat that can get you around on the big water, don’t have to do 40mph but 20mph for safety.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:52 AM

If you are going to use that on the Peace I can tell you for sure that isn't enough horsepower. 2 guys and any gear you are not running up river on plane. If you can put a 40 horse on it you are good. You should easily be able to get a big enough difference in price on the trade to upgrade to a 35 or 40 horse motor, especially after selling the 15.

Otherwise. keep the boat you have, get a gas powered winch in case you get stuck. Make your carpets removable or get a good heavy rubber tub to carry meat in.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:57 AM

Would your current boat be safe on a lift? I wouldn’t make that trade.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
Would your current boat be safe on a lift? I wouldn’t make that trade.
Thanks guys, I decided against the trade. Lifts have been tried out here with varying degrees of success, but at this point it seems that everyone has given up.

Right now I leave a 17 foot square stern canoe and a 3hp kicker down on the shore, but honestly I don't really care for that boat. It needs to be stored upside down because it has no drain plug, so I have to remove and install the motor every time I use it. The motor needs to be stored upright or it leaks gas out of the tank, so it needs to be stashed in the bush out of sight... and due to the nature of the boat I don't risk taking it much further out than I do my regular canoe, which is in many ways far more convenient.

Perhaps I will sell the freighter and try to find a cheap 12- 14 footer, or just go back to using my tripping canoe.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If you are going to use that on the Peace I can tell you for sure that isn't enough horsepower. 2 guys and any gear you are not running up river on plane. If you can put a 40 horse on it you are good. You should easily be able to get a big enough difference in price on the trade to upgrade to a 35 or 40 horse motor, especially after selling the 15.

Otherwise. keep the boat you have, get a gas powered winch in case you get stuck. Make your carpets removable or get a good heavy rubber tub to carry meat in.
I know a few guys who hunt the Peace with a nearly identical setup. They pretty much just go downstream like a canoe trip, but the 15 hp allows them to hunt a far wider area around their camp than I can using my canoe.

Anyhow, Ill probably be looking into ways to make my current boat more hunting friendly, honestly I had no idea the price difference would be that much... I got the Lund for $3700, I knew I got a good deal but had no idea people were asking $10,000 for them.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:06 PM

llllllllllMan that is like trading in a Ford F150 for one with t 4cyl.. Doubt very much if a 15HP would even bring that boat up to plane. !6 is not down sizing at all. Look for a good 14 you should have no issues selling yours on Kijiji only draw back if there is one is the 2 stroke Johnson

Good Luck
Old 06-26-2018, 10:48 AM

Personally I would keep the boat you have and get a 14 ft tinner like your uncle had. Light enough that two guys could carry it or put it on a roof rack but still large enough to be stable on larger lakes. If I recall it was a Lund and he had a 9.9 on it. It never did plane with multiple people in it but still got you there and home on most lakes in Alberta. If you wanted it to plane then put a 20 - 30 Hp on it but your trolling would certainly be effected, which is why he stayed with the 9.9

I believe your dad even use it to retrieve a large moose with it once.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Personally I would keep the boat you have and get a 14 ft tinner like your uncle had. Light enough that two guys could carry it or put it on a roof rack but still large enough to be stable on larger lakes. If I recall it was a Lund and he had a 9.9 on it. It never did plane with multiple people in it but still got you there and home on most lakes in Alberta. If you wanted it to plane then put a 20 - 30 Hp on it but your trolling would certainly be effected, which is why he stayed with the 9.9

I believe your dad even use it to retrieve a large moose with it once.
Bob had a Springbok, spent many happy hours trolling Len Thompsons in that boat. I always wondered what happened to it, Id pay any reasonable amount of money to have that thing just for the memories. If my dad ever touched a moose, or any other game animal it would be big news to me LOL.

Keeping the Rebel for sure though, like I said, I never really realised what it was worth.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-26-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Bob had a Springbok, spent many happy hours trolling Len Thompsons in that boat. I always wondered what happened to it, Id pay any reasonable amount of money to have that thing just for the memories. If my dad ever touched a moose, or any other game animal it would be big news to me LOL.

Keeping the Rebel for sure though, like I said, I never really realised what it was worth.
So sorry Doh, LOL indeed I meant your grandfather.

I tried to buy that boat as well. It was with his son until he died and now I think Bob's daughter has it.