Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
Last time I went to the Art Gallery it was free but that's a few years ago. "rich or entitled"?.....you could probably see every art gallery and museum in Edmonton twice and even throw in Fort Edmonton for less than the price of one NHL game.

I'd rather see kids at an art gallery or a museum than grow up worshiping over paid adolescents chase a chunk of rubber around making rich guys richer.

Professional hockey doesn't contribute much to society and keeps young kids all starry eyed dreaming of playing in the NHL while 99.999 of then never will. Maybe if we didn't give out awards for playing and only gave them out for winning....
I've always thought it rather curious when I hear 8 year olds referring to professional sports players as "heroes".....the aren't any heroes in Pro sports.

No tax money should go to arenas for rich guys...period.

Absolutely agree with this 100 percent!
Old 09-15-2017, 12:56 PM

Nenshi and King both make my blood boil.
However, this is a negotiation and it is only natural to want the other guy to pay to as much as possible.

I'll never be involved in negotiations of this magnitude, but I have negotiated on smaller items.
I'll make a comparison to a situation that many of us can relate to.
I want a new truck. A new 3/4 ton GMC to be exact. Only an idiot would walk into the dealership and say that they really want a new truck and that they have been envisioning a new truck in their driveway and that the truck has to be a GMC. Nobody does that because they know that they would be tipping their hand and costing themselves money.

Back in April the city of Calgary released a preliminary report regarding the Victoria park location. There was nothing firm; it was just an initial look at an alternative to the CalgaryNext proposal. This is the type of response I would expect; vague and non-committal, yet putting forth an alternative, more appealing(?) possibility.
Quote:
The new centre, for which there are no plans yet, would include an NHL-level arena along with other “ancillary services” that are yet to be determined, the report says.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3396365/pr...rena-released/

Now, jump forward to Nenshi's Monday news confernece regarding his vision for Victoria Park redevelopment. Nenshi said,
Quote:
But it makes so much sense for the arena to be part of it as well,
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ames-1.4284699

For a number of years, Nenshi has been downplaying Calgary's need for a modern facility to replace the Saddledome.
With an election around the corner, he is seeing that his ambivalence does not play well with a large number of Calgarians. Hence, his vision for Victoria park development with a new arena being the focal point.
Quote:
Many, many people have been misrepresenting my position, so I thought it was important to actually get it out so people could remember what it actually was.
Nenshi has tipped his hand. He has said what he wants and where he wants it. This only plays into the Flames hands. It is only natural that the Flames would be wanting some consideration in return for going along with his vision.

Nenshi wants to be elected for a 3rd term. By releasing his vision, he placates a segment of the voters, but at the same time he is costing taxpayers money by letting the Flames know what he wants in terms of an arena. IMO, as long as he gets elected, he does not care if it costs taxpayers.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Last time I went to the Art Gallery it was free but that's a few years ago. "rich or entitled"?.....you could probably see every art gallery and museum in Edmonton twice and even throw in Fort Edmonton for less than the price of one NHL game.

I'd rather see kids at an art gallery or a museum than grow up worshiping over paid adolescents chase a chunk of rubber around making rich guys richer.

Professional hockey doesn't contribute much to society and keeps young kids all starry eyed dreaming of playing in the NHL while 99.999% of then never will. Maybe if we didn't give out awards for playing and only gave them out for winning....
I've always thought it rather curious when I hear 8 year olds referring to professional sports players as "heroes".....the aren't any heroes in Pro sports.

I agree 100%. The taxpayers should not subsidize businesses owned by billionaires, and professional hockey teams are businesses.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Professional hockey doesn't contribute much to society and keeps young kids all starry eyed dreaming of playing in the NHL while 99.999% of then never will. Maybe if we didn't give out awards for playing and only gave them out for winning....

My thoughts exactly on the issue. I also have never understood how athletes are considered heroes. Some are inspiring no doubt, but not heroes.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:03 PM

I just heard on the radio today that Airdrie would like to have a sit down with the flames, sounds like they would like to have an NHL team.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:33 PM

So being an "outsider" - I'm not sure how entitled I am to throw in my two cents, but I'm going to anyways.

Being from Red Deer, we're right in the middle of both cities. The wife and I attend about 10 concerts a year, several games, etc.

Having been in Rogers several times now, and the Saddledome a few days ago.... I'll pick Rogers (and the city of Edmonton) every single time given the chance.

There are virtually zero lineups in Rogers compared with Scotiabank. As soon as you walk in the door - bam! Ice cold Coors light in your hand.

If you prefer to wait in lines for 20 mins for beer or concession - choose Calgary.

Acoustics are MUCH better in Rogers. Wouldn't have believed it if not hearing for myself.

So it's not "just" hockey. Calgary will be missing out from this out of towner and my spending cash. Food, drinks, transit, hotels, etc.

Cheers!
Old 09-15-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
So being an "outsider" - I'm not sure how entitled I am to throw in my two cents, but I'm going to anyways.

Being from Red Deer, we're right in the middle of both cities. The wife and I attend about 10 concerts a year, several games, etc.

Having been in Rogers several times now, and the Saddledome a few days ago.... I'll pick Rogers (and the city of Edmonton) every single time given the chance.

There are virtually zero lineups in Rogers compared with Scotiabank. As soon as you walk in the door - bam! Ice cold Coors light in your hand.

If you prefer to wait in lines for 20 mins for beer or concession - choose Calgary.

Acoustics are MUCH better in Rogers. Wouldn't have believed it if not hearing for myself.

So it's not "just" hockey. Calgary will be missing out from this out of towner and my spending cash. Food, drinks, transit, hotels, etc.

Cheers!
Not only that, but at rogers you will see the oilers play more than at the saddle dome. It's win win.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post

Cheers!
yikes! you are taking your 200$ away?..the saddledome wont miss it. 2 less rednecks with that deer in the headlights look on their faces...i wont miss that.

The new arena is coming.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:

I must have missed the part about how your above mentioned preferences contribute to the city coffers. Wasn't that the original discussion?

Out of towners flock to the Museum? Art Gallery? Ft Edmonton Park? Those facilities give any money back to the public or just hold their hands out looking for more? Representatives from any of those facilities contribute to any charities? Make hospital visits to strangers? Chair many of the local charities or fund raisers? I've heard lots over the years about how players like Andrew Ference, Ethan Moreau, Ryan Smyth, etc etc etc raise money for everything from the SPCA to sick children. Can't say I've heard the same about the heads of the art gallery, etal.

Your preferences are nice things to see though...once every 7-10 years.