Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-18-2017, 03:29 PM

Default A-HA! Moments...

Last week, I picked up my new-to-me bow, minus a rest... So I got a rest today for Father's day. I got it all tuned up, but was going through the motions of drawing back, when it dawned on me....

I am a self taught archer... I figured things out as I went for the past ten years.... Whenever I would shoot, I would try to have whichever pin I was using in the centre of my sight... My groupings were never all that tight, and I wasn't all that comfortable outside of 20 yards... Which severely limited my hunting chances.

Today as I drew back, the peep pined up perfectly around my sight, and I though... Hey, why don't I keep my peep lined up with my sight ring, and just move the pins over the target.... Kind of hard to explain, but I'm 200% confident that is how it's supposed to be done.

Ever have a moment that brings clarity like that?

Being self taught isn't easy, some days...

Jeff
Old 06-18-2017, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
Last week, I picked up my new-to-me bow, minus a rest... So I got a rest today for Father's day. I got it all tuned up, but was going through the motions of drawing back, when it dawned on me....

I am a self taught archer... I figured things out as I went for the past ten years.... Whenever I would shoot, I would try to have whichever pin I was using in the centre of my sight... My groupings were never all that tight, and I wasn't all that comfortable outside of 20 yards... Which severely limited my hunting chances.

Today as I drew back, the peep pined up perfectly around my sight, and I though... Hey, why don't I keep my peep lined up with my sight ring, and just move the pins over the target.... Kind of hard to explain, but I'm 200% confident that is how it's supposed to be done.

Ever have a moment that brings clarity like that?

Being self taught isn't easy, some days...

Jeff
Idk but sounds good.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:46 PM

Glad to hear your evolving. Funny how sometimes we overlook things. Nock on podcast has helped me a lot with little technical things like this, especially if your self taught. I'm sure your groups are gonna be much better now.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
Glad to hear your evolving. Funny how sometimes we overlook things. Nock on podcast has helped me a lot with little technical things like this, especially if your self taught. I'm sure your groups are gonna be much better now.
I'm a big fan of that podcast... It has a good mix of target shooting and hunting, and has taught me a few things around technique... I just never connected the dots with the sight picture... Still slapping my forehead over this haha.

If you can't laugh at yourself.....
Old 06-18-2017, 10:04 PM

Yes that's how it's supposed to be done, hence why peep sights are different sizes and dovetail sights are desireable (can move them in and out to match the peep size). It's all part of proper anchor and sight picture.

LC
Old 06-19-2017, 07:33 AM
Banned

I love Google or You Tube when I am trying to learn something new.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I love Google or You Tube when I am trying to learn something new.
You and me both... It was never something I thought was "wrong", I just had the thought of "it would be better if I did it this way, instead."

The internet is one hell of a teacher!
Old 06-21-2017, 09:30 AM

I had an A-Ha moment yesterday. I'm on a big motorcycle trip through the Deh-Cho to Inuvic and then Alaska.After two hours of sideways pouring rain enough made it through the neck of my rain suit to leak down my my side and pool in my crotch. It was clear at that point that the next 300km to Fort Nelson were going to suck big time!!
Old 06-21-2017, 03:38 PM

Sometimes the obvious isn't that obvious.

Grizz
Old 06-21-2017, 04:15 PM

I am also new to archery and had a similar revelation. I was more inconsistent than I thought was right and realized i was tweaking the string one way or another with pressure on the solid shaft of my release.