Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-20-2017, 08:59 PM

Default North Saskatchewan River Report 8/20/2017

Well I headed out early today, fought through the wind & rain but it was worth it. Great day of fishing, with a half dozen walleye to shore as well as 3 pike.

1 of those bastard pike managed to flop out of my net, wrap himself on a rock and break me off taking my spinner bait with him the little bastard! But not before I caught a small 14" walleye on it!

Anyways heres a few pictures I took.

And the Jig I used of course:

Old 08-20-2017, 09:10 PM

Default Walleye Sizes

4 of the 6 walleye landed were in the 19 to 21" range. The other two were smaller 14-16" fish. All the pike were hammer handle size. (sadly no 10 pounders this weekend)

Glad to see different age classes of walleye. A couple years ago after that gravel pit up river from Edmonton spilled sediment things were looking grim for awhile. I was worried we would lose such a wonderful fishery but the fish have survived and thrived it seems!
Old 08-20-2017, 09:28 PM
Banned

Awesome, thanks for sharing!
Old 08-20-2017, 10:05 PM
Banned

Water looks very clear. You should ditch that dual purpose tape measure and get one with clear markings.
Congrats on a nice day on the NSR.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Water looks very clear. You should ditch that dual purpose tape measure and get one with clear markings.
Congrats on a nice day on the NSR.
yeah i'm going to get a better one soon enough. perhaps just a 3 foot bumper board or something too.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
yeah i'm going to get a better one soon enough. perhaps just a 3 foot bumper board or something too.
I took one of those 3' decal fish measuring tapes and placed it inside a 40" length of plastic eavestrough with a snap on eavestrough cap on one end lined up with the zero on the tape and left the other end open. When I caught a fish I would simply place it in the eavestrough nose butted up against the end cap. It was easy to hold a fish steady in it by simply placing your hand over the top of the eaves. It made measuring them much easier and less stressful on the fish as they were not being handled near as much to get a measurement. If the fish wasn't a keeper I simply lifted the closed end of the eavestrough and slid the fish back into the water without having to pick it up or handle it any more than necessary. Be sure to wet the eavestrough first though or the fish won't slide easily.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:55 AM

Had a better day then I did. Had a few bites. But could land anything! Wife caught a nice 9lbs pike!
Those are some nice fish you caught!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2017, 10:12 AM

I'm willing to help any local Edmontonians get into some fish. If you're down on your luck at the river just send me a PM and I can get you onto some fish.

I want to get a boat so I can explore the river more and gain even more knowledge.

I know there are 10 pound + Walleye in this river, and I need more mobility to chase them. Can't wait to get one in the double digits so I can share the experience with you guys.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I'm willing to help any local Edmontonians get into some fish. If you're down on your luck at the river just send me a PM and I can get you onto some fish.

I want to get a boat so I can explore the river more and gain even more knowledge.

I know there are 10 pound + Walleye in this river, and I need more mobility to chase them. Can't wait to get one in the double digits so I can share the experience with you guys.
Hopefully it's a sturdier boat than the one in that second picture. I get nervous seeing stand up paddle boards on the river lol.

That guy looks like he's living on the edge.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramnen View Post
Hopefully it's a sturdier boat than the one in that second picture. I get nervous seeing stand up paddle boards on the river lol.

That guy looks like he's living on the edge.
Man you have no idea how many people i see get warned by the cops for breaking safety rules like not having life jackets etc etc. The spot i fish is close to a boat launch and the cops are always ripping around on their jet boat/ jet ski's handing out tickets / warning people to be safe.

I agree those stand up paddle boarders are absolutely nuts lol especially when there are jet boats ripping past them going 40 or 50km per hour. I imagine its hard to keep balance with the waves created by boats ripping by.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Man you have no idea how many people i see get warned by the cops for breaking safety rules like not having life jackets etc etc. The spot i fish is close to a boat launch and the cops are always ripping around on their jet boat/ jet ski's handing out tickets / warning people to be safe.

I agree those stand up paddle boarders are absolutely nuts lol especially when there are jet boats ripping past them going 40 or 50km per hour. I imagine its hard to keep balance with the waves created by boats ripping by.

Better to have the boats ripping by then going slow. Waves are 3 times bigger when the boats is off step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2017, 05:35 PM

Nice fish! I got skunked yesterday, so PM sent!
Old 08-22-2017, 05:50 PM

I don't usually have much luck on the N sask... Good to hear that there are fish in there. Might have to give it a try again soon.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:04 AM

Default Stress Relief at the NSR

Went out for some stress relief fishing. Caught five walleye in about an hour. They were small but healthy looking. Too bad the possession limit is zero in my area. Would have made for a nice fry...

Is there any instructions on how to insert photos that show up directly in the thread?
Old 08-26-2017, 03:07 PM

Been having a great year on the NSR, only been skunked once and I get out two to three times a week. The Dino's are really active right now, got my personal best 52" a few weeks ago
Old 08-26-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Been having a great year on the NSR, only been skunked once and I get out two to three times a week. The Dino's are really active right now, got my personal best 52" a few weeks ago
Dinos? Are you fishing from shore or on boats?