Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2017, 01:08 AM

Unhappy 75th Anniversary of the Dieppe Raid

Sometimes pictures can say more than words.

Selkirk
Old 08-19-2017, 02:11 AM
Banned

Old 08-19-2017, 09:54 AM

Lest We Forget,
God Bless the Troops !
Rob
Old 08-20-2017, 01:13 PM
Banned

New research suggests World War II raid on Dieppe may have been attempt to find Nazi Enigma machine

http://o.canada.com/news/new-researc...enigma-machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qA9_Ec-8YI
Old 08-20-2017, 04:57 PM

RIP,

War is shear horror and terror. People need to examine these things and keep them in mind for the present day.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:14 PM

Default One Vet's view

My Dad was a volunteer in Oct. 1939 in the RCN. He never talked about the war I think as he got older he saw it as a terrible waste. Anyway did mention what he thought was the cause of the raid, not the planning or how it was fought.

He said that the infantry rushed over to England to fill the trenches like in WW1 but by the time they got there the war in Europe on the Western front was over. So there they were, year after year with nothing to do except drink and enjoy the company of English girls. It seems the English were not all that pleased with state of affairs. On the Canadian side the gung ho officers kept complaining to the army brass to "give us something to do!"

So they did and it was the disaster we know as Dieppe.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:26 PM

Thumbs up This . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester View Post

New research suggests World War II raid on Dieppe may have been attempt to find Nazi Enigma machine

http://o.canada.com/news/new-researc...enigma-machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qA9_Ec-8YI
Other research has also confirmed that Dieppe was an 'intelligence raid'. Unfortunately, only a very few got off the beach and into the town, and were soon forced to withdraw back to the beach.

The up-side to the disaster at Dieppe was the hard lessons learned, which helped to make the landings in Sicily, Italy, and D Day such successes. Sometimes to win a war, you have to lose a few battles ... Dieppe was one of those.

In this vid, Dieppe Raid Veterans tell their story; http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/rememb...ppe-raid/video

Selkirk
Old 08-21-2017, 08:15 PM

I was a member of the Cdn Forces Parachute Team (SkyHawks) and we jumped onto the beach in Dieppe for the 50th Anniversary of the Dieppe Raid. It was a emotional experience to say the least and having the opportunity to sit and have a beer not far from the beach with some of the vets who made it off the beach was something I will always remember. A humbling experience and nothing but respect for those men.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
My Dad was a volunteer in Oct. 1939 in the RCN. He never talked about the war I think as he got older he saw it as a terrible waste. Anyway did mention what he thought was the cause of the raid, not the planning or how it was fought.

He said that the infantry rushed over to England to fill the trenches like in WW1 but by the time they got there the war in Europe on the Western front was over. So there they were, year after year with nothing to do except drink and enjoy the company of English girls. It seems the English were not all that pleased with state of affairs. On the Canadian side the gung ho officers kept complaining to the army brass to "give us something to do!"

So they did and it was the disaster we know as Dieppe.
Having been in the Army I agree the military is quite wasteful, however it is a necessary waste IMO and I'd rather have the "good guys" have the $$ so we have the equipment needed to fight and win and not show up like the kids in the first Mighty Ducks.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:14 PM

I would like to believe there was some compelling necessity for the raid to proceed once it was apparent surprise was no longer a factor, but I am not convinced.