Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2023, 06:07 PM

Default Door bell cameras??

Anybody use them? Pros and cons please!
Cat
Old 08-09-2023, 07:02 PM

I have an Arlo, costs about $6/m and will store for a month.
You can set close or far to record and with or without sound.
Your partner can also log on if you want and they can get the videos also.
I give mine 8-10 only because it has lost my wifi 3-4 times out of the last 3 years and then have to reset the wifi.
WDF
Old 08-09-2023, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the info!
Cat
Old 08-09-2023, 09:12 PM

Some models link to the web and there have been issues with people leaving them public and not private. Would think all can be made private viewing only but should confirm.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-10-2023, 06:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

https://ring.com/ca/en

We went this route with a doorbell cam first just to see how it will work out.
Turns out three years later to have worked great so when amazon prime had a sale we got a security cameras/motion sensor/flood light set up which works awesome too.

Worth checking out.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-10-2023, 12:14 PM

I just got a EUFY door bell camera installed less than a month ago, got it from Amazon for $129! Installation instructions were super clear and easy. It came with everything you could possibly need to install it too.
The video quality is great, super clear during th day light and very decent at night too. The response time is about 2-3 seconds. I get notifications on my phone in about 4-5 seconds. You can add multiple phones to receive alerts.
Sound quality is not the greatest. But it’s ok.
It doesn’t need any cloud based storage, it has enough build in memory to store images for a week, then it will overlap.
Since installing it I was surprised how many people come to my door when I’m not there…
But the best part of it- you can see your wife leaving the house and coming back, lol! Then you can text her and irritate with a question-Going shopping honey?

Last edited by KGB; 08-10-2023 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-10-2023, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
https://ring.com/ca/en

We went this route with a doorbell cam first just to see how it will work out.
Turns out three years later to have worked great so when amazon prime had a sale we got a security cameras/motion sensor/flood light set up which works awesome too.

Worth checking out.
Been running 2 ring cams on my farm yard for 2.5 years now. I pay the 100/year subscription and download what I want to keep. Quality is ok, but use a game cam as well for license plates. I had to put a wifi extender up to extend the range, but get pinged quick on my phone and as one is at the front door, I can talk and listen to who's there if I choose. Am considering a third and really like them so far. The app to my phone as well as my work computer keep me on top of who's in the yard. Even have some nice night videos of deer and one of two guys with a wrecking bar walking in at 3 in the morning but thats a whole different tale. I also want to install a remote siren but maybe me coming out the front door with a baseball bat in my underwear is enough of a scare.
Old 08-10-2023, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Ote View Post
Been running 2 ring cams on my farm yard for 2.5 years now. I pay the 100/year subscription and download what I want to keep. Quality is ok, but use a game cam as well for license plates. I had to put a wifi extender up to extend the range, but get pinged quick on my phone and as one is at the front door, I can talk and listen to who's there if I choose. Am considering a third and really like them so far. The app to my phone as well as my work computer keep me on top of who's in the yard. Even have some nice night videos of deer and one of two guys with a wrecking bar walking in at 3 in the morning but thats a whole different tale. I also want to install a remote siren but maybe me coming out the front door with a baseball bat in my underwear is enough of a scare.
If you come out without your underwear- you can swing at them twice as hard!
Old 08-10-2023, 04:54 PM

My neighbor has one as part of his security system. The video quality is quite good, as he sends me the videos of the deer in our front yards.
Old 08-10-2023, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
If you come out without your underwear- you can swing at them twice as hard!
I actually got in my truck and chased them down the road. Called the cops on route and dispatcher said I shouldn’t be following them. I said to her “following them? I’m going to catch them”. Had a cop call me in about 25 seconds after that.

Neighbor called the next day and gave me hell for letting them get away. LOL