Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-25-2013, 02:15 PM

Default Clam Six Pack 1550 Mag

Have any of you heard of or used this hut? I have been seeing it a lot more lately on boards, in ads and in stores with relatively good reviews, though it has only been out one year. Sounds like zipper tabs are the nemesis on it, but the owners are willing to work around that and replace them.

I see it at Bass Pro for $299.99, where as Cabelas is selling it for $449.99. Neither 'on sale'. Since I live closer to the latter, I have tried sending an email about price matching, or at least price somewhere-in-the-same-tax-bracketing. We'll see what happens.

Here's a video of the smaller one being put up. It looks pretty decent, though any company advertising their gear would make it look as such.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omY26Kvkiso

I know a few Clam guys and they will stand behind the quality any day.
Thoughts, reviews?
Old 11-25-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoA View Post
Have any of you heard of or used this hut? I have been seeing it a lot more lately on boards, in ads and in stores with relatively good reviews, though it has only been out one year. Sounds like zipper tabs are the nemesis on it, but the owners are willing to work around that and replace them.

I see it at Bass Pro for $299.99, where as Cabelas is selling it for $449.99. Neither 'on sale'. Since I live closer to the latter, I have tried sending an email about price matching, or at least price somewhere-in-the-same-tax-bracketing. We'll see what happens.

Here's a video of the smaller one being put up. It looks pretty decent, though any company advertising their gear would make it look as such.

Thoughts, reviews?
The pricing online is US pricing. I was in the bass pro last week and they had the 4000 bigfoot for $399.99, but nothing like the 1550 in stock.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:06 PM

$299.99 is what it is lists it as coming to my address and just before I put in CC info, which according to the chick I spoke to at the CGY store, is correct.
$329.69 shipped with promo code.

Either way, I'm not so much in this to buy it or find the best price, I want some "from the horse's mouth" testimonials if any exist.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoA View Post

Thoughts, reviews?

Everything looks really good on it. Lots of room too in it.

I have a clam summit, I love it. I'd say you can't really go wrong with it, but shop around, I paid 200 for my 8x8 shelter.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:38 PM

i wanted to get my hands on a six pack last year but they were all sold out. I settled for a Shappel 6x12 as my first hut. Good hut. Kind of glad i got the rectangular style since you can angle it in the wind to hit one of the small sides only.
With the round style you wont be able to turn it to reduce the impact of the wind, you will be fighting with it to keep it popped open.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:04 PM

Looking at the same one myself - let me know how you make on on a Edmonton area price match.

Make sure you use the ice anchors and lines (attached to the pull out tabs in the middle of the exterior walls) - you should have no issues with the wind if you actually use them.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:22 PM

I've got the 1550, setup is quick and easy, quality is good. I broke one of the side wall polls and sent a msg to Clam and within a short time i was sent out 5 extra poles. If i could have found 1 i personally would have gone with the 1660 for the extra room. Overall its a well put together unit but i wouldn't say its any better or worse than the Eskimo brand. Hope this helps . S