Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-30-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Nope.
Something stinks here.
I am giving zero input on the quality of work. I am the last guy to ask about that sort of thing.
How have you pist and moaned this long on the internet but not called the guy?
Call the guy, ask for an explanation.
Maybe those are speed holes (to make it shoot faster)

Maybe your stock looked like that to start with. (I'm not calling you a liar. Maybe you haven't looked so hard at your stock as when it came back from the smith?)
Maybe you like drama on the internet? (And who doesn't? )
Come on, man. The guy is ticked off and you need to rub salt in his wound? Be nice.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:47 PM

I went in after work today, didn't get to speak to the owner, that will have to wait until tomorrow. The minion that I spoke with was the same one that wrote up the work orders on both rifles.

When I dropped these rifles off with PTG bottom metal kits, the fellow said 4-6 weeks and that it would be 200-250$ (per bottom metal install) get these installed. He said that they are a pain to install due to the way they were machined. No worries id still like the professional job done! If there was any time to warn me of anything now would have been the time. After hunting season i dropped off the second rifle so they could both be done. They still had not got the first rifle done. Still no mention or warnings about chunks of my stock falling apart, or them not being able to inlet a straight line.

So basically because these bottom metals are a pain to install this is what I get. I raised my concern with the minion about the fact that straight lines weren't even straight, the chunks missing, the gaps.. again because the bottom metal is a pain to install is the excuse. Not even one rifle to the other is done alike. No offered replacement, repair or refund.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Come on, man. The guy is ticked off and you need to rub salt in his wound?
I get that. One or two posts saying "what do I do?" makes sense, and I totally understand.
Not getting what you expect from anywhere is frustrating.

But the first post was at 2:00, and he went on for hours.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:50 PM

Default sucks to be me.

He said that they charged me 225$/rifle in reflection of the chips which is bull because they quoted me 200-250 to begin with.

The whole attitude that I was left with is "it is what it is"

The chips could be chalked up as a mistake for sure, but what about the lines and gaps?

I mean where is the the professional work i paid for?

Last edited by AMisler; 12-30-2014 at 08:57 PM. Reason: added a few
Old 12-30-2014, 08:55 PM

If they don't correct this to your satisfaction, out them so others can avoid being taken advantage of. A chip is one thing, but the inletting looks like something done with a Dremel tool after a dozen beers. If you wanted a hack job, you could have done that yourself and saved $450.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:59 PM

Darn right i could have done better, especially in 6 weeks. The machining is the only part i couldn't have done.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:02 PM

Default Rifle

That is very poor quality work, for a so called proffesional. I hope you get it corrected to your satisfaction. Please keep us posted.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I get that. One or two posts saying "what do I do?" makes sense, and I totally understand.
Not getting what you expect from anywhere is frustrating.

But the first post was at 2:00, and he went on for hours.
I just think he is understandably upset.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:17 PM
Banned

If all the stakes are correct burn the witch?
Old 12-30-2014, 09:27 PM

Wow...

I would caulk up the chips to be the material, not the workmanship. Still should have been owned up to that it happened rather than let it leave the shop without a word!

The cut lines however... My wife sells glasses for a living, send the smith her way!
Old 12-30-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Wow...

I would caulk up the chips to be the material, not the workmanship. Still should have been owned up to that it happened rather than let it leave the shop without a word!

The cut lines however... My wife sells glasses for a living, send the smith her way!
Couple fellas have commented they chip easily, so at the very least the gunsmith should have warned the customer, unless it was his first rodeo. Either way, it is completely inexcusable.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolete View Post
If they don't correct this to your satisfaction, out them so others can avoid being taken advantage of. A chip is one thing, but the inletting looks like something done with a Dremel tool after a dozen beers. If you wanted a hack job, you could have done that yourself and saved $450.
x2 if they don't fix it "out them" in the long run its best they do correct the problem as it will be a lot cheaper for them in the long haul in the business World LOL!!! its amazing what word does on the internet Powwow!!!

Firearms only have two enemies - rust and politicians" author unknown
Old 12-30-2014, 09:49 PM
Banned

Due to measurement.
Is it time to burn?
Old 12-30-2014, 09:53 PM

OP , man that sux. There is a allot of levels of poor workmanship but doggone it we care about our rifles, thats not professional.
rule number one is broke by them for not caring too.

I doubt id let him try to repair or redo it, man thats a salty pill...sorry for your luck...chain
Old 12-30-2014, 10:08 PM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain2 View Post
OP , man that sux. There is a allot of levels of poor workmanship but doggone it we care about our rifles, thats not professional.

I doubt id let him try to repair or redo it, man thats a salty pill...sorry for your luck...chain
Thanks, Im just glad that everyone else thinks it looks like crap lol
Old 12-30-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain2 View Post

No kidding, I think the OP is understandably upset about the work done on his rifles. Yes he should talk to the smith about it, which is probably what he will do as soon as he can. But bottom line, the smith let TWO rifles leave the shop in that condition, in which case I cant see any issue with commenting on or "showing off" his work on the internet or anywhere else for that matter. If the smith isn't ok with that then the rifles should never have left the shop until both parties reached a acceptable solution.

He is a trades man, like every other tradesman in the world he has to know that the minuet he is done everyone that sees his work is a potential critic. Publicity like this thread is what poor work gets you.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:20 PM
Banned

Ok here’s my take on service given.

I ask.

I question.

We reach consciences?

This is the perfect goal.

Unfortunately I have never had a perfect result.

I have a list.

I will never have perfection.

But respect will give.

No I am not the smith.

Burn the witch?
Old 12-30-2014, 11:24 PM

name of the shop/ where are they/pictures of the work attached to it, here, on cgn, 6br, everywhere. if he can't stand seing his ****ty work all over the place, then he can close the shop. tim hortons on 53rd street at edmonton is hiring.

theres is no cruelty in showing the whole world how much a particular gunsmith sucks. it just avoid other peoples to make the same mistake that you did. if i have work to get done, i want to avoid that guy and without a name, i can't.

**** jobs are **** jobs, it doesn't matter if its a mistake or not.
hang them on the public place and let the crows eat their eyeballs.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:32 PM

give him a chance to make it right
Old 12-30-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
give him a chance to make it right
X2

But I think whatever he does, you should still let us know who.

I would want to know that a guy made things right... You did say that you were happy with his work before. I have no problem taking work to a guy that will own up to and fix mistakes.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:59 AM

I am looking to get some work done on a rifle or two a currently. I know for myself, it makes me rethink taking them ANYWHERE when I don't know who it was. Not worth the risk! The way I see it even if he refunds you completely, people Who share your sport deserve to know what they're getting into. If I want garbage work done but want it for free I know where to go. I really think you kinda owe it to rifle owners to inform them of services rendered not just at the place this happened, but everywhere! in the same way it should be reported if someone does amazing work! Bottom line I think it hurts the industry and the consumer when identities are protected In either case! However I also think it's pretty classy the way you used discretion even when you have clearly been hard done by.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
X2

I would want to know that a guy made things right... You did say that you were happy with his work before. I have no problem taking work to a guy that will own up to and fix mistakes.
Yep talk is cheap on a forum, go to the smith, point out the issues and deal with it there. Face to face, man to man...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-31-2014, 06:59 AM

Default read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMisler View Post
I went in after work today, didn't get to speak to the owner, that will have to wait until tomorrow. The minion that I spoke with was the same one that wrote up the work orders on both rifles.

So basically because these bottom metals are a pain to install this is what I get. I raised my concern with the minion about the fact that straight lines weren't even straight, the chunks missing, the gaps.. again because the bottom metal is a pain to install is the excuse. Not even one rifle to the other is done alike. No offered replacement, repair or refund.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yep talk is cheap on a forum, go to the smith, point out the issues and deal with it there. Face to face, man to man...
I need to make a phone call today, and like I said before, I will let you guys know what happens when i speak to the owner
Old 12-31-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
X2

this makes sense

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:53 AM
Banned

ouch that is brutal!

well hopefully he gets those fixed up for you
Old 12-31-2014, 11:32 AM

I have spoke with the owner, and in the new year we will be working on a solution. I will continue to be a customer regardless of this experience.

One suggestion I have for anyone dealing with ANY gunsmith in the future, is cover all grounds of what happens if.. go through the entire process with them to ensure you will be satisfied with the end result. Another suggestion, dont try any sort of cutting or in letting on hs precision fibreglass stocks. And spend the money on direct fit aftermarket parts.

And the smith will continue to remain anonymous, sorry guys
Old 12-31-2014, 11:34 AM

Oh and make sure you have the time to inspect the work before taking it home from the Smith
Old 12-31-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMisler View Post
I have spoke with the owner, and in the new year we will be working on a solution. I will continue to be a customer regardless of this experience.

One suggestion I have for anyone dealing with ANY gunsmith in the future, is cover all grounds of what happens if.. go through the entire process with them to ensure you will be satisfied with the end result. Another suggestion, dont try any sort of cutting or in letting on hs precision fibreglass stocks. And spend the money on direct fit aftermarket parts.

And the smith will continue to remain anonymous, sorry guys
I truly feel part of the issue lies in the stock itself....the HS precision are brittle and chip, they are not a solid homogenous material.

Glad the smith is willing to work with you, sounds like a decent shop where ever it is.

LC
Old 12-31-2014, 12:47 PM

The second picture shows an obvious tool slip. This is not a fault in the stock. The guy did it free hand instead of in a milling machine like the job required.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:15 PM

looks like you will be stuck with it i cant see fixing something like that it cant be unmangled or built up and redone. i would have known before attacking a job like that i couldnt do it properly without tool guidance of some kind