Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2020, 01:16 PM

Default Slip tank diesel to gas

Good day all,

So for hunting season this year we decided to use a slip tank to haul our gas for 4 quads during our 2 week hunting trip in November. My neighbor has since replaced his old one with a new one and I've got his old one now. Its a diesel slip tank however. How would you guys go about cleaning and changing it to a gas tank? Would it be as easy as emptying it and running some gas through it to purge the lines and pump?
Old 08-19-2020, 01:24 PM

Drain everything and call it good
Old 08-19-2020, 01:30 PM

MT is dead on. A little diesel in the lines in a 200 gallon slip tank is not going to make any difference at all. Drain it, fill with gas, pump the first ten gallons into your truck, you are purged, clean and ready to dance. Make sure you put the right decals on the tank so you don't accidentally put gas into a diesel down the road.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Drain everything and call it good
x2.

If you drain everything, and there's still 2L of residue on the sides and base, on a 320L tank, that's 99.4% gas. Don't think the quads are going to notice that 0.6%.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:41 PM

thanks guys
Old 08-19-2020, 04:56 PM

Yup I purged an aluminum diesel tank and changed it over to gas, drain the tank completely, I put about 200 liters of gas in it, circulated it through the pump back into the tank to make sure the pump was also purged, then burned it all in my pick up without a hiccup.

Mine will have 320 liters in it for hunting season also

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:54 PM

Old friend of my dads swore by adding a half gallon of diesel to his gas tank before filling up {Yeah It was that long ago} he said it made his motors last longer always old zero cost to $200.00 beaters that seemed to chug on forever and he'd drive these things all the way to the Okanagan and back on the yearly vac trip... Never had engine trouble... a wheel fell of, and a transmission went poof once. lol
Old 08-20-2020, 07:44 AM

Technically its illegal to transport gas in a single wall slip tank.
Also if you had it marked diesel and had gas in it. If someone stole it they might not notice and wreck their engine. Thats probably illegal as well.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:48 AM

Technically its illegal to transport gas in a single wall slip tank.

Think all those old style tanks are now illegal, probably why it was replaced.

Grizz
Old 08-20-2020, 07:56 AM

Be very careful to get last bit of diesel or your vehicles will smoke like hell and not run. I made the mistake Once few years back. Had to drop and drain the fuel tank on my pontiac.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Be very careful to get last bit of diesel or your vehicles will smoke like hell and not run. I made the mistake Once few years back. Had to drop and drain the fuel tank on my pontiac.

You would have had to of had a heck of a lot of diesel mixed in with the gas to have that happen.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:42 AM

you will be fine, they run gas and diesel in the tanker trucks without cleaning tanks in between.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:38 PM

slip tanks must be secured directly to truck box, no more bungee cords or tie downs. welded or bolted down. could be why single wall tanks are illegal.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:45 PM

When this this place turn into a bunch of Wankers so focused on the letter of the law. The OP didn't ask any of you for approval, just how much diesel or cleaning is needed. Maybe let him worry about his own stuff outside the scope of the question.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:52 PM

Make sure you pick up a 1203 decal for it as anything over 30L needs to be marked.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Make sure you pick up a 1203 decal for it as anything over 30L needs to be marked.

Efen perfect. Makes my earlier point exactly.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Fenen perfect. Makes my earlier point exactly.
I was not going to post anything, but your post made me like the bear haha
Old 08-20-2020, 10:21 PM

Default TDG info

1 800 272 9600

24 7 service.

Call and learn about the rules ( and penalties )
Then decide what you want to do.

A little diesel will not hurt any engine mixed with that much gasoline.

Getting caught with Gasoline in the slip tank will suck.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:27 AM

Thanks for all the input guys. A lot of you are incorrect with your information though. It is NOT illegal to have gasoline in a single walled slip tank. I am good to go with my plan legally. All I require is a 4" x 4" safety label on the tank. This is for a tank that is less than 450 litres.

I got my information by calling that 1 800 number provided above.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. A lot of you are incorrect with your information though. It is NOT illegal to have gasoline in a single walled slip tank. I am good to go with my plan legally. All I require is a 4" x 4" safety label on the tank. This is for a tank that is less than 450 litres.

Bumber to Bumber who was selling them are the ones who told me that they had to be double walled for gas.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post

Glad you got it figured out. Typical of this place, half the info posted by the self styled experts is completely wrong. So often it is not from first hand actual knowledge it is, stuff I was told by some clerk, heard a friend of a friend or read it on the internet. Guy has to be really careful who's advice you take and anything that could get me a large ticket, I check out for myself, just like you did. Have a great hunting trip.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Glad you got it figured out. Typical of this place, half the info posted by the self styled experts is completely wrong. So often it is not from first hand actual knowledge it is, stuff I was told by some clerk, heard a friend of a friend or read it on the internet. Guy has to be really careful who's advice you take and anything that could get me a large ticket, I check out for myself, just like you did. Have a great hunting trip.
Ain't that the truth. Any forum or social media platform is the last place I would turn to for legal advice of any sort.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:22 AM

If you go to the government website and download a gazillion pages on PDF and read for a long time it will tell you that if your tank is over a certain size and not bolted to your truck then you need secondary containment. Which is what most people consider double wall to be.
I'm thinking whoever you talked to on the phone didn't read all the regulations because there are a ton of them.
But even if I would have been wrong about this. Is it really a big deal if I was misinformed? If you have cfoffee with a friend and he asks you something in normal conversation do you spend days researching it online before you answer them?
Old 08-21-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetalker View Post
Old friend of my dads swore by adding a half gallon of diesel to his gas tank before filling up
I've heard this from a couple farmers now. Never had the cajones to try it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Also if you had it marked diesel and had gas in it. If someone stole it they might not notice and wreck their engine. Thats probably illegal as well.
I call that a best case scenario! Except most scumbag thief's use stolen vehicles so probably just blow us some poor guy's engine that just had his truck stolen.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
If you go to the government website and download a gazillion pages on PDF and read for a long time it will tell you that if your tank is over a certain size and not bolted to your truck then you need secondary containment. Which is what most people consider double wall to be.
I'm thinking whoever you talked to on the phone didn't read all the regulations because there are a ton of them.
But even if I would have been wrong about this. Is it really a big deal if I was misinformed? If you have cfoffee with a friend and he asks you something in normal conversation do you spend days researching it online before you answer them?

Actually, unless I am 100% positive about my answer, even in casual conversation, I will suggest my friend research it, or if it is a real good friend I might volunteer to do it for them. I try very hard to never give wrong advice and I also make sure that when I say something I have actually seen or done it personally.

There is a big difference between opinion based on experience and empirical facts or requirements based on regulations. What car you like is based on opinion and experience, how fast you are allowed to drive it is not an opinion, it is based on the posted speed limit. Whether it is safe to do the posted limit under the existing conditions is a judgment call in the moment. That is the difference between opinion, fact and interpretation of regulations.

To me, it is a big deal to give people wrong advice that they may rely on to their detriment.
Old 01-05-2023, 03:05 PM

Default single walled gas tanks illegal? Maybe in the States...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronkaren View Post
... could be why single wall tanks are illegal.
. Are you sure? I'm an RV'r who likes to boondock. I just phoned ministry of transportation today to confirm conformity to regulations. My truck is a 2022 f150 shortbox with a Leer canopy. My slip tank is a 75 gallon Delta DTS 48700 single walled gas transfer (slip) tank. So long as it is bolted to the deck, not connected directly to my trucks fuel system, the tank has a ministry UN sticker/stamp number, (it does), and a label or placard is clearly visible from outside of the truck...my single walled gas tank is legal according to that ministry information officer.
Old 01-05-2023, 03:13 PM

Default bumpr2bumper is not to blame for error in info shared

Quote:
Bumber to Bumber who was selling them are the ones who told me that they had to be double walled for gas.
. Funny, I bought mine from bumper2bumper and it IS single walled. I even checked with ministry before buying too. Maybe due diligence is needed before asking some newbie parts person and taking their word for it. Too many people trust a Canadian Tire 3 month apprentice with their couple of hundred thousand dollar customized rigs. (The only stupid questions are the ones neither asked nor challenged).
Old 01-05-2023, 03:21 PM
Banned

This thread is awesome, thanks for bumping it back up
Old 01-05-2023, 03:31 PM

Default no need to get upset

Quote:
If you go to the government website and download a gazillion pages on PDF and read for a long time it will tell you that if your tank is over a certain size and not bolted to your truck then you need secondary containment. Which is what most people consider double wall to be....But even if I would have been wrong about this. Is it really a big deal if I was misinformed? If you have cfoffee with a friend and he asks you something in normal conversation do you spend days researching it online before you answer them?
Some people are better at research, some are not. I started with the table of contents and got my answers looking at only a couple pages. Either way, if someone points out your error, just accept it as new learning and consider that your wrong advice might have cost someone else a couple thousand dollars. To err is human, we all do it, and we accept what we learn from it without sounding out at those who notice the error. ...and yes, I tend to research what others claim are facts if I think it might be unreasonable or in error, especially if it looks like someone might be affected by it...unless we've all had a few wobbly pops...then everybody is full of it. Its the only way to survive at the legion bullshivik table. Recently, I had a choice, trade my gas f150 in for a 3/4 ton or 1 ton diesel, or choose a slip tank. Had I thought a single walle gas slip tank was illegal, I would have had to pay $5,000 with all the extra parts IF I could find a tank to fit a half-ton short box. Fortunatley, I did my research. My half-ton has the towing capacity and i found only ONE appropriately sized slip tank at a reasonable cost, $1,300, but it is single walled, legal, and all the pump fittings etcetera brought my total investment in under $3,000. Had I traded my 2022 f150 in I would have lost $30k in equity in the trade, and ended up with massive payments for the diesel one ton I was looking at. Do you see no how, had I listened to you that a single walled gas tank was illegal, I could have spent a couple thousand more that I had too, or, if I decided it was too much cash outlay, have traded in a beautiful new gas truck I love for an additional 4 years of high debt payments. It was why others pointed out that such info is misinformed, to help others avoid bigger mistakes...like listening to assumptions instead of researching facts.
Old 01-05-2023, 05:34 PM
Banned

The 500, now 450 litre volume, is the kicker as far as double vs single wall.
As far as diesel contamination, unless you are running hi octane for equipment that needs high octane (turbod sleds with hi compression, for instance), even up to 1% diesel isn't going to do any damage, other than a bit more smoke and a bit more lube.