Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2023, 11:42 AM

Default Changes to Alberta Traffic Safety Act

This change has not received much press and while it has strong merits to protect those that must work alongside highway traffic, the learning curve will be steep. No longer sufficient to reduce speed in adjacent lane, now all lanes required to drop speed to 60k. Will make for some hard braking HWY 2 and across three lanes on the Henday. Be careful.

From the ATMA website:

Please be advised that key changes to the Traffic Safety Act will take effect on March 1, 2023. Important amendments have been made to the rules that govern the passing of stopped emergency vehicles on a highway.

The updated legislation extends safe passing protections for roadside workers to include snowplows and highway maintenance vehicles, in addition to emergency vehicles and tow trucks.

When such vehicles are stopped with their flashing lights operating, motorists are required to:

• Slow down to 60 km/h or the posted speed limit, whichever is lower, in all lanes travelling in the same direction on multi-lane highways; and

• Slow down to 60 km/h or the posted speed limit, whichever is lower, when travelling in either direction on single lane highways.

Contraventions to these rules will continue to be charged under s. 115(2)(t) TSA.
Old 02-28-2023, 11:52 AM

About time
Old 02-28-2023, 11:53 AM

Ridiculous
Old 02-28-2023, 11:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

shouldn't be an issue if you are keeping the proper distance from the vehicle in front of you, doing the speed limit, not distracted etc.

I guess I am saying defensive driving.

I feel for those that work our highways and deserve to come home safe and sound just like the rest of us.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-28-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyvdH View Post
About time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Ridiculous

Since most people didn't seem to understand the old rules I'm not sure this will make much difference.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 02-28-2023, 02:10 PM

Now all the people who would hit brakes when they see emergency lights on the horizon even when traveling 3 lines over in opposite direction on divided Highway 3 provinces over will be in the clear.

Also, what's Atma? Did a quick search, mostly yoga studios came up
And second, if anybody in the know... Since when did the tow trucks get blue flashing lights on their lightbars? Blue has always been reserved for police...
Old 02-28-2023, 02:16 PM

Good catch. Correction AMTA. Alberta Motor Transport Association.
Old 02-28-2023, 02:22 PM

Default slowing down for emergency vehicles

Long overdue
Old 02-28-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty50 View Post
Long overdue
Yes. I wish the Montana law would come in here as well.
Old 02-28-2023, 03:04 PM

It was dangerous before, because people didn't know the actual rules. You had people slamming on their brakes unnecessarily in the far lane infront of people expecting to just move over and continue going 110.

Slowing down like this was, and still will be super sketchy in icy conditions.
If Tow Truck operators decide to try extracting cars from the ditch in those conditions, they are creating the unsafe condition themselves. Why risk having a pile-up because of a car in the ditch? Leave the car in the ditch for when it is safe to retrieve... And therefore when its safe for cars to drive past them at the speed limit.
This new legislation is intended to improve the safety of one operator of a tow truck at the side of the road. What about the safety of the drivers of a hundred cars all piling on their brakes as 3 lanes of deerfoot come to a halt at the same time?

Reading the actual amendments to the act - Traffic must slow down to 60 when "ANY" "Stopped" vehicle has a "Flashing Light" (4-ways and signal lights dont count). This means any dummy can go to princess auto and buy an amber Siren - stick it on his roof and everybody has to slow down for him.

Some of the published press information states this new amendment will help snow plow operators be safer as well. I see absolutely no additional measures to ensure snow plow safety from the new rules. The new rules apply to "stopped" vehicles only with "flashing lights". So, I suppose if the plow pulls over and stops, you have to slow down. Otherwise, there are no rules about how to behave around snow plows.

Another thing none of the published information shows is the rules in construction zones. If a construction zone has a posted speed limit, that limit is the speed that needs to be obeyed. So if a construction zone is posted at 80, and there are a bunch of construction related vehicles working - with their flashing lights on, you do not need to slow down to 60 - continue going 80. ...but guess whats going to actually happen? Again, not all of the public is going to know the actual rules. Even though now is the time to educate everybody on the new rules, the published information doesn't even cover all of the new rules.
Old 02-28-2023, 03:20 PM

Well the next thing they going todo is install photo radar equipment in emergency vehicles, tow trucks etc. or run a joint task force.
Old 02-28-2023, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyvdH View Post
About time
Effective tomorrow.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-28-2023, 04:40 PM

As someone who works alongside traffic all the time, I’m thankful for this. It will definitely take some getting used to, and yea half the people never did it anyway, but it’s scary on the side of a road, or down in a hole while vehicles whip by at high speed. We’ve had people drive into trenches, through barricades, into freshly poured concrete, and all sorts of dangerous stuff. It’s only a matter of time until someone gets killed.
Old 02-28-2023, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
As someone who works alongside traffic all the time, I’m thankful for this. It will definitely take some getting used to, and yea half the people never did it anyway, but it’s scary on the side of a road, or down in a hole while vehicles whip by at high speed. We’ve had people drive into trenches, through barricades, into freshly poured concrete, and all sorts of dangerous stuff. It’s only a matter of time until someone gets killed.
You bet. And I fully agree with this.

Most that don't agree with this have never been there, and most likely never will be.

All good...
Old 02-28-2023, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStyler View Post
It was dangerous before, because people didn't know the actual rules. You had people slamming on their brakes unnecessarily in the far lane infront of people expecting to just move over and continue going 110.

If Tow Truck operators decide to try extracting cars from the ditch in those conditions, they are creating the unsafe condition themselves. Why risk having a pile-up because of a car in the ditch? Leave the car in the ditch for when it is safe to retrieve... And therefore when its safe for cars to drive past them at the speed limit.
This new legislation is intended to improve the safety of one operator of a tow truck at the side of the road. What about the safety of the drivers of a hundred cars all piling on their brakes as 3 lanes of deerfoot come to a halt at the same time?

Reading the actual amendments to the act - Traffic must slow down to 60 when "ANY" "Stopped" vehicle has a "Flashing Light" (4-ways and signal lights dont count). This means any dummy can go to princess auto and buy an amber Siren - stick it on his roof and everybody has to slow down for him.

Some of the published press information states this new amendment will help snow plow operators be safer as well. I see absolutely no additional measures to ensure snow plow safety from the new rules. The new rules apply to "stopped" vehicles only with "flashing lights". So, I suppose if the plow pulls over and stops, you have to slow down. Otherwise, there are no rules about how to behave around snow plows.

Another thing none of the published information shows is the rules in construction zones. If a construction zone has a posted speed limit, that limit is the speed that needs to be obeyed. So if a construction zone is posted at 80, and there are a bunch of construction related vehicles working - with their flashing lights on, you do not need to slow down to 60 - continue going 80. ...but guess whats going to actually happen? Again, not all of the public is going to know the actual rules. Even though now is the time to educate everybody on the new rules, the published information doesn't even cover all of the new rules.
They already have days they won't tow.

Go stand by a tow truck on the side of deerfoot..you'll see the issue.

You should be able to slow down without "slamming" on the brakes, but you're probably to busy staring at your phone.

I hope like hell they enforce the crap out of this.
Old 02-28-2023, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
They already have days they won't tow.

Go stand by a tow truck on the side of deerfoot..you'll see the issue.

You should be able to slow down without "slamming" on the brakes, but you're probably to busy staring at your phone.

I hope like hell they enforce the crap out of this.
I guess I never stated what I think they should have done... which was just keeping the "nearest lane" rule, and adding Tow Trucks and Construction vehicles to the list of vehicles that need to be slowed down for - not all of the lanes. There's some spots on Stoney Trail in south Calgary that are 6 lanes wide. Do you really think its necessary to slow down all of those lanes?

What if it's a construction vehicle waaay off in the ditch on the right... by the new rules, you need to slow down for him.
What about if he's down in the center of Stony trail way down in the middle of the median, with barriers between him and the roadway on both sides... Do all lanes of both sides of the divided highway have to slow down? My interpretation is yes, you need to slow down, which is ridiculous.

The "slamming on the brakes" comes not from just slowing down to 60... but from what will actually happen, which is everybody slowing down to a Dead Stop, because people are unable to simply slow down.

I fully intend on following the rules, now that they are the new rules. But they are overkill. And they will cause accidents. I'm not worried about being able to get stopped myself, but the guy behind me who is TOO busy looking at his cell phone.
Old 02-28-2023, 06:09 PM

To enforce the hell out of it they are going to have to pair up every emergency vehicle with a police/rcmp/sheriff. The way i see it, very little if anything is going to change... Those who knew the rules before, who would try to move over to further lanes and keep going will have to slow down like the rest of the drivers who slow down regardless of their position on the highways.

I would really like to see some enforcement targeting slow drivers, line blockers, line drifters, no lights at nights clowns, and others of similar persuasion.
Old 02-28-2023, 06:36 PM

Quote:

Slamming on your brakes, doing 110 in super icy conditions? Continuing to do 110 when passing a vehicle that just went in the ditch, someone needs some driver training
Old 02-28-2023, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
I remember over a decade ago a guy riding his harley on yellowhead in the west end Edmonton during rush hour. He was sitting behind a tractor-trailer stopped due to traffic clogged. A dodge SUV or Caravan comes behind him full on speed. Probably 80 to 100 depending what sector of the road that happened. Nailed him into the back of the trailer. The driver, female, was texting while driving. It was messy needless to say. Shovel messy. She walks away physically unscathed (he was a bumper for her it would seem) and even lied on what happened.

Yes, I've seen some really dangerous wingnutz out there who think they're gods of the road until they're not. Being a tow truck driver would be a dangerous occupation from this threat alone.
Old 02-28-2023, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I guess I never stated what I think they should have done... which was just keeping the "nearest lane" rule, and adding Tow Trucks and Construction vehicles to the list of vehicles that need to be slowed down for - not all of the lanes. There's some spots on Stoney Trail in south Calgary that are 6 lanes wide. Do you really think its necessary to slow down all of those lanes?

What if it's a construction vehicle waaay off in the ditch on the right... by the new rules, you need to slow down for him.
What about if he's down in the center of Stony trail way down in the middle of the median, with barriers between him and the roadway on both sides... Do all lanes of both sides of the divided highway have to slow down? My interpretation is yes, you need to slow down, which is ridiculous.

The "slamming on the brakes" comes not from just slowing down to 60... but from what will actually happen, which is everybody slowing down to a Dead Stop, because people are unable to simply slow down.

I fully intend on following the rules, now that they are the new rules. But they are overkill. And they will cause accidents. I'm not worried about being able to get stopped myself, but the guy behind me who is TOO busy looking at his cell phone.
I think u better go read the amendment again..

Quote:
The act requires motorists to slow down, when passing all roadside workers, when vehicle lights are flashing and they are stopped on the highway.
It's literally the second sentence .https://www.alberta.ca/protecting-ro...the%20highway.

Stopped on highway.. key words. And it's obvious, education is going to be key.

I don't think this law went far enough, it should be no traffic at all in nearest lane and everyone else 60kmhr, end of story.. like I said similar to Montana.
Old 02-28-2023, 07:49 PM

Are they going to post any signs that clearly state the new law? Or just start ticketing people tomorrow morning?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2023, 08:23 PM

Its been suspended until September 1st.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Yes. I wish the Montana law would come in here as well.
What Montana law are you referring to? We’re already required to slow down and move over for emergency vehicles.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:26 PM

Default From CTV News posted at 2:47p.m. Feb 28

Well perhaps this explains the lack of public service advertising regarding the changes to the Act. As JT is fond of saying "soon". Also indicated in the article fines could approach $1K.

From CTV News.
This year, Alberta drivers will need to follow some new rules aimed at protecting roadside workers and first responders.

The change comes from Alberta's Traffic Safety Amendment Act, which was introduced in March 2022.

Previously, drivers were required to slow down to at least 60 km/h when passing tow trucks and emergency workers.

Under the new rules, which will come into effect sometime this year, drivers will also need to slow down for all roadside maintenance workers and snowplow operators – any vehicle permitted to have flashing lights.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:27 PM

Some things are best learned the hard way!! Lets face it laws are broken all day long.. if you can't do the time don't do the crime.. Just take one lap around the Henday and see how many people are on their phones. Its a scary percentage. There is no way to justify breaking the law or tailoring it to fit your personal behavior. 128 snowplow collisions in 3 years. (someone tell me in what world is this ok)
Old 02-28-2023, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCats View Post
Its been suspended until September 1st.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Was there a news release somewhere? ? Everything I’ve read still says march 1.
Old 02-28-2023, 09:12 PM

so basically no driving all summer , while they tear up all the roads and leave for 5 months at a time
Old 02-28-2023, 09:37 PM

There is only 2 seasons in Alberta, winter and construction season

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-28-2023, 10:03 PM

Default Now if you work for Amazon .....

https://seed171.bitchute.com/epDYSfX...FRPG54KtNc.mp4
Old 02-28-2023, 10:25 PM

The weird thing is that many support this because they see lots of people using their cellphones while driving and, hence, not paying attention.