Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2023, 10:39 AM

Default Costco meat prices

I remember when these loins were around $85. Now they're at $200. This is at a Calgary Costco. $54.99/kg.

Not too long ago I showed these same prices. And someone said that Edmonton area Costcos were cheaper?

It's crazy to see tenderloin on sale at Sobeys for $77.14/kg. This makes a $200 Costco tenderloin look cheap.

But I do have to mention that these were marked at $30 off. For how long, I don't know.

I can't go without my steak. I guess I'll just have to start cutting them thinner.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post

I can't go without my steak. I guess I'll just have to start cutting them thinner.
You could buy cheaper cuts...

Old 08-07-2023, 12:26 PM

Walmart in Methbridge is actually cheaper or same price as Costco. Costco has better sausage and luncheon meats.
Hay seems to be in the 300 to 350 a short ton price right now.
All these carbon taxes and anything that drives up fuel prices drives up grocery prices. Im cow /calf but I can buy beef cheaper in !Methbridge than I can butcher my own. Actually I can't afford to eat my own beef.
Old 08-07-2023, 01:51 PM

Default I bought one over a year ago

$85 before the $30 off. Cut down middle and then 3/4 to 1 inch slices for steaks on bbq. Got 17 pieces so summer bbqs were great. Wasnt that long ago
Old 08-07-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
$85 before the $30 off. Cut down middle and then 3/4 to 1 inch slices for steaks on bbq. Got 17 pieces so summer bbqs were great. Wasnt that long ago
Where was that? That's a huge price difference.

I like to buy the tenderloins because I age them in the fridge and they make a dang good steak.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2023, 03:09 PM

Costco east hill about a year and a bit ago. Waited all spring this year for same deal, not going to happen. Pasture rental doubled in last year as did hay prices. Some of my neighbors are speculating on $1800. Prices this fall on beef up from $1100. Think mine were whole sirloin tips not tenderloin though
Old 08-07-2023, 03:45 PM

Edmonton has a Costco geared to small businesses now and their prices are significantly lower than the regular Costco. It’s out in the west end.
Old 08-07-2023, 03:51 PM

And if you watch there is a lot more meat sitting on shelves expiring too Or discounted because it is close to expiring in many stores

I know I have definitely changed my shopping habits
Old 08-07-2023, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Costco east hill about a year and a bit ago. Waited all spring this year for same deal, not going to happen. Pasture rental doubled in last year as did hay prices. Some of my neighbors are speculating on $1800. Prices this fall on beef up from $1100. Think mine were whole sirloin tips not tenderloin though
how much is pasture rent now

and hay or grain land please
Old 08-07-2023, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Few weeks ago calves that averaged under 400 lbs which really are normally to small to sell to feedlots averaged 1600 and there was just one small group of them. No liner load or anything.
Perlich makes it sound like even if there is a big drought sell off this fall that there are all kind of American buyers trying to rebuild southern herd.
No pastures south of Calgary. I might have received 4" this year.grasshoppers and gopher's
Old 08-07-2023, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
how much is pasture rent now

and hay or grain land please
LOL s I would love to know that one
Old 08-07-2023, 06:03 PM

I have about a dozen AAA strip loin steaks in the freezer that I paid 8lb for. I can smell a sale a mile away and take full advantage. Before covid I was paying 6lb for the same steak on sale. Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, watch the fliers for loss leaders.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-07-2023, 06:03 PM

We were getting $1. A day for cow calf pairs for several years from a long term renter who got out of cattle last year. This year we got $2.25. According to the 2 area farmers that wanted our pasture, rates between here and calgary can be $2.50 +

Last edited by wwbirds; 08-07-2023 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-07-2023, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I remember when these loins were around $85. Now they're at $200. This is at a Calgary Costco. $54.99/kg.

Not too long ago I showed these same prices. And someone said that Edmonton area Costcos were cheaper?

It's crazy to see tenderloin on sale at Sobeys for $77.14/kg. This makes a $200 Costco tenderloin look cheap.

But I do have to mention that these were marked at $30 off. For how long, I don't know.
Have one of the $30 off costco tenderloins that I'm about to cut up right now. Still a ridiculous price though.
Guess with hay prices the way they are this year I can afford this one time splurge
Is hard to beat Costco beef...
Old 08-07-2023, 08:11 PM

Is this the trimmed one ? They were around 160$ since last year but the price of beef has gone up quite a bit, a while back Costco have striploin for $22/kG now it’s like $37kg. $75 for 3 steak
Old 08-07-2023, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Is this the trimmed one ? They were around 160$ since last year but the price of beef has gone up quite a bit, a while back Costco have striploin for $22/kG now it’s like $37kg. $75 for 3 steak
2kg of meat cut into three... those aren't steaks, they're small roasts!

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 08-07-2023, 11:23 PM

There are several things that Costco isn't necessarily cheaper on and meat is one of them!

Safeway has strip loin this week on sale for 9.99/lb. Yes, I know you used to be able to buy it for less, but currently this is significantly less then anywhere else!!
Old 08-07-2023, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
And if you watch there is a lot more meat sitting on shelves expiring too Or discounted because it is close to expiring in many stores

This is my kind of deal lately, lol. Brought this from Walmart earlier:

Can’t say I particularly care about the expiry date if the meat looks fresh. I loaded up on T-Bone steaks… I think it was after mother’s day weekend when it seemed they were really optimistic about the demand. I bought about 10 20-30 dollar steaks for 7-10 bucks each. And I was able to choose the best ones (in hindsight, I should have bought all they had on the discounted shelf, along with striploins and other cuts).

Got to watch sales too. Sometime in March, the tenderloins were $18 per pound in Superstore, if I recall correctly, for example. I paid for the whole decent size one less than $100. I was in Calgary and didn’t have the means to buy a stack to transport them back home in a few days, otherwise I would. It’s pretty easy in the city, actually. In the boonies, not so much.

I used to buy a whole sirloin in Costco, I remember and ran both, steaks and ground, from it. The price tag on it averaged around $45-50 for the whole thing, lol. That was probably about a decade ago. I then moved to game meat entirely and haven’t bought beef up until last fall, I think, when I started craving it again, especially a nice fatty steak. I was unpleasantly surprised to see the price tag on those sirloins when I saw them again in Costco last fall, lol. The funny thing is I still have plenty of elk and other game meat in my freezer, yet I keep coming back for the steaks. Kindda sucks.
Old 08-08-2023, 12:57 AM

In Calgary for decent meat prices, check out Sam Chan Traders.

But be aware that you're expected to buy by the case. Cash is cheaper.
Old 08-08-2023, 05:35 AM

This is how "they" reduce your meat consumption. So when you refuse to pay the price and skip the beef at Costco you're actually saving the planet from climate emergencies and global boiling!
Old 08-08-2023, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armorman View Post
This is how "they" reduce your meat consumption. So when you refuse to pay the price and skip the beef at Costco you're actually saving the planet from climate emergencies and global boiling!
Old 08-08-2023, 10:39 AM

I read the book Do You Want To Live To Be A HUNDRED
one of the key things of the people in the world they studied that lived over a hundred was they only ate meat once a week
They also walked everywhere they went
So if you are only eating meat once a week you can afford the best or not.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
one of the key things of the people in the world they studied that lived over a hundred was they only ate meat once a week
Vegan propaganda.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:33 AM

Been wondering on the wastage at the meat counters in the stores the last few yrs, has to be a fair bit happening. Notice around here, they aren't putting as much out as they used to. Certainly not much to be had for "deals". Last one I saw was approx 2kg rib roasts for around the 50-60.00 mark, think that was Easter. Pick those up when I see them. Looks like they're in the 80-90.00 range at present from the places I've checked.
Farmers that have been out on silage were saying they could just cruise along in the combines the last week or two, fields look a lot better from the road than they do from the combines. Most of the counties south of Edm have posted ag drought disasters.
Goose hunting will likely be a lost cause around here this year, have 1 out of 5 major roosts with water in it. Doubt birds will be hanging around for long, if they even stop. Might take the opportunity to do some fall fishing, some of the earlier rifle seasons too.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post

For most meats it’s just really extra aging and doesn’t hurt anything.
Old 08-08-2023, 01:24 PM

Elk season is close.
Old 08-08-2023, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
elk season is close.
100%!!!!!!

Bh

Old 08-09-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
We were getting $1. A day for cow calf pairs for several years from a long term renter who got out of cattle last year. This year we got $2.25. According to the 2 area farmers that wanted our pasture, rates between here and calgary can be $2.50 +
So if feed is even say 300 a short ton thats still about $4.15 a day to feed a pair. Times 365 days a year and your into $1500 for a calf plus vaccines, mineral, medications, equipment repairs,fuel and maintenance,etc. Then if you loose a calf the owner is really in the hole. Thats not even counting what your cow ,bull,land,equipment, etc cost you
Old 08-09-2023, 11:15 AM

I have enough deer meat in the freezer to eat steak every night until November. I've bought one $14 rib eye from my butcher this year. Looks like hunting really is starting to pay for itself.
Old 08-09-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post

Who the hell wants to live to 100?

Pass the 24 ounce porterhouse please. The extra fatty one.

To start I'll have the turtle soup and make it snappy.