Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2023, 10:16 AM

Exclamation Water Intoxication in Dogs

Hey fellas,

Had a close call with my pup yesterday and just wanted to raise awareness of what we went through so maybe it’ll save another pooch.

We took our lab swimming at the lake yesterday, just like we have dozens of times before. We always throw a ball out for him to get and we play fetch.

Everything was normal for the 2 hours we were out. We threw the ball for an hour and then put it away for a bit to give him a break (he’s a machine) and then after 20 or so mins we started throwing the ball again.

Usually he pukes up a bunch of water during the fetch and I didn’t think much of it, he consumes a lot while going for the ball. Yesterday he didn’t throw up once.

Here he is waiting for me to throw the ball again.

We loaded up the boat and headed to the launch and he started to go downhill. When we were at the launch and I was getting the truck/trailer he threw up all the water and peed in the water. When it came time to get in the truck he wouldn’t jump in and I just thought he was gassed from swimming for 2 hours.

On the way back up to the house we noticed something was wrong. He was super lethargic and very wobbly. I had to pull him out of the truck and when I set him down his back legs weren’t quite working 100% and he was almost falling over.

He then threw up again and it was just foam, and he walked all uncoordinated to the back stairs and wouldn’t go up. I picked him up and carried him into the house and then he wouldn’t stand up and was struggling to breathe.

At first I thought it was EIC, but he supposed to be clear since his parents were both tested and clear. Then my wife said maybe it’s water intoxication so I googled that and sure enough, he had every single symptom listed. The biggest thing that tipped me off for that was his eyes. The pupils were dilated all the way out and he basically had no cornea, his eyes were glossy and black.

This is him at the house. Lethargic, salivating like crazy and puking up foam.

We called the vet in Lethbridge and rushed him there. On the way he wasn’t getting worse, and as we got closer he started to stand up in the truck. The vet put him on an IV with electrolytes and sedation meds. They took some x-rays to look for water in his lungs which there was none. After about an hour they said that he was doing much better and we could take him home if we wanted but stay close to a vet in case he develops Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome later on.

It was a sleepless night but he is doing much better, he even ate a leftover filet mignon this morning and wants me to throw his toys for him.

Basically water intoxication is where the dog ingests so much water that the cells in the body start to swell up. During this process the amount of electrolytes in the body plummet and the symptoms start to happen fast. It can cause brain swelling which can be fatal.

There is lots of resources out there to Google, and if you own a dog I would suggest taking the 5 minutes to read an article or two on it.

Here is the one is googled that listed every symptom he had.

https://www.centennialanimalhospital...oxication/amp/

I hope someone else reading this can learn from my mistake of putting him in this situation. It’s totally preventable.

Here he is this morning wanting to play again

Old 08-08-2023, 10:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Dam, have had two labs over the years and never had this happen thankfully.
Great to hear your pup is good to go and thanks for sharing this as I am sure it will happen to others too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-08-2023, 11:19 AM

Oh man I am so happy that he is ok! I have heard about water intoxication but I have never actually seen anybody who experienced it, thank God! My pup loves water and he drinks a bit when he swims but not to the extent of intoxication….
Old 08-08-2023, 11:21 AM

Just a thought, is it possible lake had some blue/green algie that may have caused or aggrevated the problem.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:26 AM

I had never heard about this before, thank you for sharing. I’m glad to hear your pup is on the mend!
Old 08-08-2023, 11:38 AM
Banned

Arrow

Woah!! Close Call!

Never even heard of that before!

Happy your Fur Kid is OK!

And good on you for spreading the word!

Cheers,
Nog
Old 08-08-2023, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Just a thought, is it possible lake had some blue/green algie that may have caused or aggrevated the problem.
It was Travers. No blue green this year but it has had it in the past, 2013 was the last year I think.
Old 08-08-2023, 12:10 PM

Ive never heard of this before. My lab is part fish, so thank you for posting this!!

BH

Old 08-08-2023, 01:01 PM

Thx for the heads up
Old 08-08-2023, 04:53 PM

Glad it worked out for you. Thanks for the info. Taking my 2 Britts this week for a swim
Old 08-08-2023, 05:11 PM

Glad for a positive outcome. Took our lab for his first real swim the other day and will be mindful of this.
Old 08-08-2023, 07:44 PM

Good to hear he recovered. I've never heard of that before. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2023, 09:02 PM

Poor fella, gee whiz man. So glad he's doing okay. Appreciate you sharing this with us. These wonderful creatures will go till they literally cannot go any longer. Again, so glad he's doing better.
Old 08-08-2023, 09:30 PM

I came happen with humans too as a recent new article indicated and the lady passed
Old 08-08-2023, 10:07 PM

Glad you figured out what was wrong and that he is back on the mend.
Very good looking boy you got
Old 08-08-2023, 10:38 PM

He is as handsome as they get, that's for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2023, 10:54 PM

He is almost back to 100% now.

He’s still quite tired, but he had a big week out at the cabin and that final day would’ve wiped him out.

We stopped this morning and got some beef jerky to try and get him some more sodium and some protein in his belly. He ate most of the bag.

This afternoon he drank his first water, and ate some treats, kibble by hand, and a pizza crust. Then tonight when we got home around 930 we gave him 1/2 cup of kibble and he ate right away so I gave him another 1/2 cup which he promptly ate.

He does have swimmers tail. His tail is straight down between his legs and is sore if I try and lift it. We gave him an aspirin for that.
Old 08-09-2023, 01:27 PM

Blue green algae poisoning is usually fatal. Vomiting, diarrhoea, seizures, collapse are symptoms. Many similarities to water intoxication.