Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2023, 02:55 PM

Default Moose turns tables on Grizzly !

Apparently the cow moose wasn't havin' any of this bear's shenanigans...

Might have turned the poor thing into a vegan !

https://youtube.com/shorts/wHix_MP87PQ?feature=share
Old 08-08-2023, 02:58 PM

I've been charged by a bull moose before. Far scarier than any Grizz encounter I've had so far.
Old 08-08-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I've been charged by a bull moose before. Far scarier than any Grizz encounter I've had so far.
Gotta ask Fall or Spring?

People always say they are dangerous during the rut, but I have found starvation makes them much meaner in the Spring. All my run ins have been in early Spring.
Old 08-08-2023, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Gotta ask Fall or Spring?

People always say they are dangerous during the rut, but I have found starvation makes them much meaner in the Spring. All my run ins have been in early Spring.
This was fall while hunting deer.
Old 08-08-2023, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
They have a way of getting your attention in a big hurry, that's for sure!

I have vivid memories of an angry cow coming at me, plowing through the snow like a freight train...
Old 08-08-2023, 06:06 PM

If you listen carefully at the start of the video when the moose charges out of the water you can hear a calf squeel, it is behind the little building, there are other videos which show the bear on the calf, cow charges the bear, bear runs down the road then turns around and heads right back up the beach to where the calf is but gets cut off by the cow, bear turns and runs into the building, you can hear glass breaking then the bear takes off. Unfortunately the bear will not go far and will once again take up the trail of the cow/calf until he gets an opportunity to grab the calf again which it will as he will follow and harass them until the cow is exhausted. 99 times out of 100 the bear will eventually get that calf within a day or two, probably sooner.
Old 08-08-2023, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
If you listen carefully at the start of the video when the moose charges out of the water you can hear a calf squeel, it is behind the little building, there are other videos which show the bear on the calf, cow charges the bear, bear runs down the road then turns around and heads right back up the beach to where the calf is but gets cut off by the cow, bear turns and runs into the building, you can hear glass breaking then the bear takes off. Unfortunately the bear will not go far and will once again take up the trail of the cow/calf until he gets an opportunity to grab the calf again which it will as he will follow and harass them until the cow is exhausted. 99 times out of 100 the bear will eventually get that calf within a day or two, probably sooner.
I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I was thinking the opposite .... like any predator, if the risk is too high of getting hurt, will move onto an easier target. Sometimes predators will make multiple attempts but often times, just wander off after a period of time and go find something easier to eat. An injury in the wild if your prey isn't cooperating could be a death sentence going into the winter. I'm guessing that bear moved on.
Old 08-08-2023, 06:46 PM

Like deer and rabbits in Calgary & Edmonton suburbs or elk in the center of Canmore & Banff, they're likely to hang around where people are - which usually translates into no bears...

That's my guess. But both Bushrat & EZM's predictions are very possible outcomes. Tough call.

And yes, I could hear the calf squeel as the cow came charging behind the shack. But haven't seen the other videos. Thought I'd share this one.

Old 08-08-2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I was thinking the opposite .... like any predator, if the risk is too high of getting hurt, will move onto an easier target. Sometimes predators will make multiple attempts but often times, just wander off after a period of time and go find something easier to eat. An injury in the wild if your prey isn't cooperating could be a death sentence going into the winter. I'm guessing that bear moved on.
If you look at the far side of the lake the snow is down low in patches, it is springtime, the calf is a newborn probably only a few days old and mews in alarm like a newborn, if it were fall time the calf would have ran with the cow and wouldn't sound like a newborn. Bears follow and harass cows at this time of year until the calf is exhausted and simply lies down. The bear won't leave for long and will resume the chase, things don't look good for the calf. We all know how hard bears are on ungulate calves and fawns. This is exactly how they do it. JMO
Old 08-08-2023, 07:58 PM

The bear will be back. It won't go far.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
If you look at the far side of the lake the snow is down low in patches, it is springtime, the calf is a newborn probably only a few days old and mews in alarm like a newborn, if it were fall time the calf would have ran with the cow and wouldn't sound like a newborn. Bears follow and harass cows at this time of year until the calf is exhausted and simply lies down. The bear won't leave for long and will resume the chase, things don't look good for the calf. We all know how hard bears are on ungulate calves and fawns. This is exactly how they do it. JMO
Correct.
That calf is dead.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:56 AM

I'm guessing they do the same with Caribou.

...which would be a contributing factor to, well... You know.
Old 08-09-2023, 10:40 AM

Instead of taking video they should have shot the bear......
Old 08-09-2023, 05:52 PM

Interesting video but I agree that the calf is dead.

I chased a wolf off of one of my calves and when I caught the calf, the wolf had bit it once between it's ribs and pelvis, puncturing its guts. It was dead less than 12 hours later. I also found another calf that had been killed in the same manner and was otherwise untouched.

While checking fence one spring I ended up in the middle of an elk herd and almost ran over two calves. They ran about 15 yards and laid down in the grass again. I think once a bear or wolf has figured this out, they just follow the herd around and kill every calf they find.

Gerry Burnie
Old 08-09-2023, 06:33 PM

Exclamation But wait! There's more!

This occurred in May 2022 at the Many Glacier Hotel in Glacier National Park, Montana. According to Andrew Wood who shot and posted the original video, the bear got one of the calves, and was coming back for seconds.
Best guess at the timeline progression of the 3 videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yUMb576iF0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEi2aU2v9NM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39-9A2fnQyY

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell