Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2023, 02:31 AM

Default Drain Unclogger

I bought a jug of caustic granules for unclogging drains/lines from Home Hardware. It is all red pellets that boil in the standing water. They leave black and grey pellets behind that dont dissolve, and i dunno if i really want to wash them down the drain afterward. Also it turns my sink pink.

What causes the pellets to go black and do they eventually dissolve? What drain clearing chem works best for you and you're application?
Old 08-10-2023, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickson6111 View Post
I bought a jug of caustic granules for unclogging drains/lines from Home Hardware. It is all red pellets that boil in the standing water. They leave black and grey pellets behind that dont dissolve, and i dunno if i really want to wash them down the drain afterward. Also it turns my sink pink.

What causes the pellets to go black and do they eventually dissolve? What drain clearing chem works best for you and you're application?

If using a chemical to unclog a drain vs mechanical methods Sulphuric acid is usually a lot easier to use and a lot more effective than a high caustic because its easier to get it straight into the drain vs all around it which is why your sink turned pink. Neither is real skin friendly. Both can etch plastic tub coatings and stainless steel. AMRE is a good source if there's one near you.

Remove the drain stooper if possible and pour carefully straight into drain. Let it do its thing for a few minutes then flush well. Make sure you've flushed all of the caustic used during prior method really well before using the sulphuric. They don't mix well.

Quick notes. Always add acids to water. Not the other way around. Good idea to wear goggles and rubber gloves if you value your body parts too, and turn on the fan or open a window. There's nothing quite like the smell of burning hair and other assorted P trap goop to get your attention. Neither process will dissolve kids toys, marbles, etc