Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-14-2024, 05:57 PM

Default Crossbows

Well due to major shoulder and bicep injuries I am in line for my crossbow permit for hunting starting this year.

I’ve done some research, but would like some hands on knowledge, nobody in Reddeer sells em that I know of..

Anyone in the same boat that can give me some insight how you got started?

I have a compound that I’ve used for years, but this is definitely uncharted waters for me.

Likely won’t hunt with one this year, practice will be the key all summer long, I do know a couple of people who both have xcaliber bows , look well made, and top of the line, I do however need to be schooled before I dump a lot of coin into one.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 03-14-2024, 06:35 PM

Default crossbow

Look at RAVEN crossbows. Hand crank up and down. Cannot dry fire. Good speed. Mine is 420 fps and 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds. Very little learning curve beyond just getting it set up. Takes a while to nock up a second arrow just like any crossbow. Arrows(bolts) are Ravin specific. Finding a target that will stop a bolt under 30 yards is a challenge. With my Block target I get a full length capture at 30 yds--not fun to pull out even "lubed" up.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:26 PM

Ravin R10
100 %
I have the same issue and the R10 is the answer
If you in central AB , RD area
shoot mine
Old 03-15-2024, 09:12 AM

Excalibur. Can get up to 420fps (which is more than enough! You don’t need the ones that are hitting 500fps) and there are no cams, meaning no timing issues and you can easily change strings yourself. A string change on a Ravin or Tenpoint sets you back a couple hundred dollars while an Excalibur is about $40 for the string. Excalibur also makes some models which come apart in 1 second for easy and compact storage!
Old 03-16-2024, 08:12 PM

The higher the fps the more finicky they are. I know a guy that kills moose with a 350fps Excalibur. Get one with or add on anti dry fire.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:23 AM

Excalibre is a great crossbow
I went with that because of the price of a raven
Old 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM

Man. I have killed a lot of stuff with my Cabelas ordered to door Centrepoint 370.
Also just bought a Barnett XP 390 w cranking device. Cannot go wrong. Let us know how expensive u go. Ravin at $3000.00 must be magical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2024, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Man. I have killed a lot of stuff with my Cabelas ordered to door Centrepoint 370.
Also just bought a Barnett XP 390 w cranking device. Cannot go wrong. Let us know how expensive u go. Ravin at $3000.00 must be magical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Barnett xp is a very nice bow for the price but to compare it to a Ravin . I have had the xp home here and returned it . Why , I tried the Barnett is it weighs almost 3 lbs less than Ravin R10
The Ravin R10 can still be bought at about 1800.00 at cabelas .. The cranking system is totally different . Ravin has a one point draw back on the crank and can decock as well .. Any bow that can do this is well over 1500...
The ravin is heavy , but accurate . I can hit 3 in at 80 yards
Old 03-23-2024, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
The Barnett xp is a very nice bow for the price but to compare it to a Ravin . I have had the xp home here and returned it . Why , I tried the Barnett is it weighs almost 3 lbs less than Ravin R10
The Ravin R10 can still be bought at about 1800.00 at cabelas .. The cranking system is totally different . Ravin has a one point draw back on the crank and can decock as well .. Any bow that can do this is well over 1500...
The ravin is heavy , but accurate . I can hit 3 in at 80 yards

I was giving a guy a cheap alternative and the only thing I have experience with. I am not comparing it to anything. I have never shot a Ravin. I buy 500$ crossbows and it kills like the $3000.00 ones is all I was implying. I do know the Barnett recurve limb ones that my friends shoot are loud but reliable. And the double arrow one is crazy accurate.
Thats all.
Rio56 you do you man.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:26 PM

The Barnett is fine ...
relax ...
The fact the Ravin can decock with the crank and the barnett cannot might interest the OP with shoulder problems is why I mentioned it
I was ready to swtich to a 500.00 cross bow

Last edited by Rio56; 03-23-2024 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 01:05 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post

I’ve done some research, but would like some hands on knowledge, nobody in Reddeer sells em that I know of..
I think my husband's buddy Dale at Sportsman's Den carries Excalibur. I know he's an authorized dealer...I buy my goodies from him.

When I bought mine years ago, I chose it because Excalibur is so bombproof. If you lose a string, you can change it right there in the field, whereas any compound will require you to bring it in to a place that has the press to do it. SO that equals lost time hunting. I've had mine (micro) for years now and it's a beautiful work of art, capable of laying down anything here in North America.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:24 PM

I'm in the same boat as OP. Picking up an Excalibur Rev x, they are throwing in a new case for free with select models until April 30. Excalibur bows can easily be decocked without firing them, they are simple and user serviceable, made in Canada to boot. Getting mine from Jimbows, great place to deal with and same price as the mega stores and online joints too. Good luck OP.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:05 AM

My crossbow is an Excalibur Matrix Bulldog 400, which I bought at Cdn Tire.

Supposed to do 400fps with the 18" supplied bolts and 100gr heads.

But I shoot 20" Carbon Express Piledrivers, with 150 Excalibur Boltcutter broadhead.

With those bolts & heads my Bulldog 400 shoots 330fps verified/chronographed, and it blew the bolt right through a bull moose.

Speed is over-rated, accuracy is more important.

The only knock on the Bulldog 400 is it is a large crossbow.

Edit to add: I bought the Excalibur crank for cocking the string. It snaps onto any Excalibur crossbow and makes cocking/de-cocking a snap

Sept 18 2022, Swan Hills.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 04-11-2024, 10:18 AM

@ Hayseed

To get started you need to go to AB F&W and find the application form to get the crossbow exemption.

Fill that out with reason you need to able to use a crossbow, submit it and hopefully you will get approved with no hassle.

In my case I didn't know the process so started by consulting my doctor, who then sent me for xrays and tests on my shoulder.

The examination and xrays verified that my right shoulder is screwed, so my doctor then wrote a note to that effect.

Then I learned about the F&W exemption application. So when I submitted that I was able to attach the medical reports, doc's letter and my application got approved immediately.

But then finally, once you get the crossbow exemption approved, you got to go to the local hunting license place and buy the crossbow license.

After you have that crossbow license it will show up on your Alberta RELM with your other licenses, and it renews automatically then each year.

Overall it is a fairly simple process to go through.

If you were to apply and be refused the crossbow exemption, then the medical testing/proof would likely have to be done.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 04-11-2024, 05:56 PM

Thanks for all the helpful advice, I did actually obtain my license for my crossbow for life. So just an update, was in Cabellas last night and purchased an Excalibur Assassin Extreme, this rig is sick!! Left hand and right crank mechanisms, illuminated 30mm scope, going to fling some right now but it looks kick azz!! Got 15% off bow, 50 bucks off case and 4 free bolts
Bought 10 more and they gave me a deal on them as well… Ross at Cabellas was awesome to deal with and knows his bows. Good experience all around.