Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-09-2013, 09:38 PM

Default mechanicals flying like feild tips

Which mechanical have you had the best luck to shoot like yur feild tips??had my bow looked at today an found out my centre alignment was way out.now my feild tips are shooting awesome groups out to 40 but still can't get my wasp 3 blade fixed heads to fly like them.they still shoot to the left an I'm getting tired of screwing around with the season so close..so which mechanicals fellas??!!!
Old 08-09-2013, 09:48 PM

NAP killzone, Rage hypodermic both flew perfectly outa my apa mamba m6
Old 08-09-2013, 09:51 PM

Grim Reapers
Old 08-09-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Grim Reapers
x2..or spitfires.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chironomidkraut View Post
NAP killzone, Rage hypodermic both flew perfectly outa my apa mamba m6
same here, although I find the shock collars annoying on the hypos.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:09 PM

Been using the reapers for a while, no issues. Been trying the ulmer edge for the last few weeks. The are deadly accurate. No blood on them yet.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:58 PM

...Or simply mark your sight bar for field points and move your sight for dead on broadhead POI ...
If you are done tweaking!!

Neil
Old 08-09-2013, 11:12 PM

Default Thanks guys

I have thought about that but after spendin a few days fishin eyes an perch with my great friend an fantastic bowhunter Andrew he suggested grim reapers as well.hes taken a dozen animals with grim reapers so I think ill pick up a pack an give it a go..thanks for all the help an reading my many posts..mabey ill get my bow in to L O S T arrows shop to have a boo over the winter..hope I can post a pic of my velvet whitetail in the first few days of sept as I have to head to goose camp on the 5th..once again thanks for all the help!!
Old 08-09-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman160 View Post
I have thought about that but after spendin a few days fishin eyes an perch with my great friend an fantastic bowhunter Andrew he suggested grim reapers as well.hes taken a dozen animals with grim reapers so I think ill pick up a pack an give it a go..thanks for all the help an reading my many posts..mabey ill get my bow in to L O S T arrows shop to have a boo over the winter..hope I can post a pic of my velvet whitetail in the first few days of sept as I have to head to goose camp on the 5th..once again thanks for all the help!!
Good choice IMHO if I was to ever shoot a mecanical...it would be the Grim Reaper...wish ya the best...shoot straight...

Neil
Old 08-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Banned

Grim Reapers for me as well. I use the 100 grain 1 1/2" cut crossbow rated ones. Fly great, great penetration.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:14 AM

I like the way grim reapers fly and have never heard a bad story about them here, I shot 3 animals in Africa with them, out of the three a gemsbok was tracked with lung blood showing for 12 miles before we lost its track. A red hartebeest went 3 steps before collapsing and a blue wildebeest I had to use a rifle on 24 hr later. On the blue the blades didnt open on a pass though.
I'll be pitting carbon steel montecs through my animals here this fall. Takes a little longer to find a blood trail but they fly good for me an cut every time.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:04 AM

Grim reaper razor tips work very well and accurate
Old 08-10-2013, 12:23 PM

Talking

rage chisel tip and the g5 t3's flew good for me but now im shooting the QAD exodus
Old 08-10-2013, 06:28 PM

Rocket Steelheads one of the best. Plus there only $30 for a 3 pack at cabelas. I have had good penetration and lethal shots even when the shot has been less than ideal. Worse damage was one blade that bent slightly.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:56 PM

Grim Reapers..
Old 08-14-2013, 03:31 PM

100 gr crossbow heads 1-1/2 cut Grim reapers at 80 yards identical to my field points hitting a 5" group all day long.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:21 AM

Another point to ponder...if a bow is not tuned, or an arrow is not matched to that bow and an arrow is fish tailing , porhposing, or a combo of both Oscillating....

than no mecanical in the world is going to fix that...they may however have the same POI- Point of impact as the field point...but they will still be fish tailing , porhposing, and /or Oscillating....

Which in turn can cause a mecanical to fail...if the arrow for example is fishtaing and hits the target on the extreme end of either side of the fish tail..essentially sideways...then it canresult in a diaster with an wounded animal...

It IMHO than this is a major cause of mecanical head failure...

Mecanical or expanable heads are NOT a cure for untuned bows or unmatched arrows ...

JMHO
Neil
Neil
Old 08-15-2013, 08:36 AM

Default Mechanicals

Lost arrow hit the nail on the head! There's no substitute for arrow tuning.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:07 AM

I agree 100% with what both calgary and lost just said. If you think mechanicals will fix everything you are wrong you still need to have your arrows shooting perfect walk back, paper, bare shaft tune then you are good to go plus hours of practice on form. I have shot fixed blades now for 16 years and while I can get them very close to my field points they always gave me some little grief from head to head some shooting perfect then having one not the same. After switching bows this year upping the poundage and speed I had trouble meeting my standards I am very particular about where my arrows hit and how. With these Grim Reapers I am satisfied they fly exactly like a field point no matter which of the 6 heads I shot all exactly the same flight pattern and hit the same spot. At 80 yards it's easy to track arrow flight and see if they are flying true and these are amazing. Into my glendale full rut target they performed perfectly from all angles elevated and quartering hard not one failure blades always opened I am sold on these 100% I'll see how they do this hunting season on meat and bone.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:00 AM

If your f-tips and broadheads are not hitting same POI there is a tuning issue....either in bow or in archer... (HAND TORQUE)

Changing to a mechanical's to "fix" this is (in the words of grumpy dick) really like wiping your arse with a hula hoop...

How many people who have f-tips and broadheads hitting same point of impact.... decide to use mechanicals at that point...

Most people go to mechanicals because of an inherent tuning issue!...
Old 08-16-2013, 07:30 AM

Wasp Jak Hammers...deadly accurate, tough, large holes, short, but large blood trails.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:38 PM

Default Yup

You guys are exactly right an I'm still having a tough time.the reapers are not panning out the way I hoped...I shoot phenomenal at 20 with fp's an after that I shoot anywhere from 6 arrows in a 4" group to 3 arrows touching to 3 flyers in all directions up to 6"!!!!im getting so frustrated!!!!2 weeks to opener an all the homework ive don't on my spot with deer feeding in front of my GB almost everynight!!!!i took my bow in an got my centre alignment set an thought I was good to go!!wrong!i am just not happy!a buddy suggested shooting each arrow an rotating the poor shot ones by flethcing to nock till it shoots straight???it makes sense but damn!!!my buscuit has a bad frayed spot that still gets frayed when I comb it out(from when centre alignment was out) but still gets messed up an my cock feather is getting brown rub marks on the fletching an the vanes are curling???i need help guys pls give honest opinions?i shoot a Matthews Z7,29.5" draw with carbon express 340's.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman160 View Post
You guys are exactly right an I'm still having a tough time.the reapers are not panning out the way I hoped...I shoot phenomenal at 20 with fp's an after that I shoot anywhere from 6 arrows in a 4" group to 3 arrows touching to 3 flyers in all directions up to 6"!!!!im getting so frustrated!!!!2 weeks to opener an all the homework ive don't on my spot with deer feeding in front of my GB almost everynight!!!!i took my bow in an got my centre alignment set an thought I was good to go!!wrong!i am just not happy!a buddy suggested shooting each arrow an rotating the poor shot ones by flethcing to nock till it shoots straight???it makes sense but damn!!!my buscuit has a bad frayed spot that still gets frayed when I comb it out(from when centre alignment was out) but still gets messed up an my cock feather is getting brown rub marks on the fletching an the vanes are curling???i need help guys pls give honest opinions?i shoot a Matthews Z7,29.5" draw with carbon express 340's.
How long have you been shooting for? What pound is your draw weight? And at 20 yards what do you consider phenomenal? Have you paper tuned or walk back tuned your bow? I don't understand what you are talking about rotating nocks they all should be lined up the same with fletching on all arrows. I don't know much about biscuits ask LOST if the fraying could be a problem. Like many have said a mechanical still needs to be shot out of a tuned bow just like a fixed head they don't magically fix problems. How is your anchor point? Are you using a kisser, peep sight? Also after shooting your groups have you marked your arrows do some consistently fly wild and others fly straight?
Old 08-17-2013, 03:17 PM

Old 08-17-2013, 05:07 PM

I shoot 68 lbs,with a peep site an have been shooting this new bow for a few yrs but mostly the last few months as often as I can with a new baby an a two yr old.3-4 times a week usually.never walk back or paper tuned no.as for my groups at 20 yrds most arrows touching thè others within a half inch.i put a new buiscuit on today an so far the 20 arrows I shot through it have flown great an the buiscuit is not fraying again.will shoot agian tonight.i contemplated buying a drop away but have used the wb on my old bow an killed 5 bears with it so I know it works..only tune it's got is centre aligned.will test out all my arrows for strays tonight.as for the nock rotation the guy in Calgary does that when the super tuner shoots a flyer,he rotates the nock tonsee if it will correct the arrows flight.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:21 PM

Thumbs up

I use WASP jack hammer II's. I have been using these for thirteen years now and I have not lost an animal yet. I shot a doe at 60 yards. Very accurate and they are easy on the wallet!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:32 PM

yup dont get rid of the Ugly Cookie [WB] , if you think you have issues try 22 moving parts cords and timing issues on top of that...lol

Mathews bows love the WB...set it so arrow is center on Berger or rest bolt hole...center biscuit hole at 13/16's where arrow seats [13/16 to center of arrow from riser] tilt back top of biscit slightly towards string...make sure you can see daylight around top and top sides of arrow in biscuit...a tight fit is not good...

for nock point 90 degrees from bottom of arrow in biscuit to string 5/16 high of that line...

Always test biscuit ...I have a cut arrow 10" with a nock..insert on string and in biscuit move in slow circles in biscuit...if there is a weak spot from as you put it fraying due to bad spot and its weak...the cut arrow will tell you by its slipping into whgiskers easiely compared to any where else...

you did right to replace biscuit at less than $20.00 if you shot lots replace at least once a year before hunting season and tuning...

JMHO
Neil