Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-19-2013, 09:30 AM

Talking New to the sport

Hey guys! So I got my first bow yesterday! anyways I've never hunted with a bow before, actually I've never hunted in Alberta before!! I would really like to get a deer this year, do y'all have any tips? Anything and everything would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and good luck this year!
Old 08-19-2013, 09:39 AM

Congrats on the bow! Your gonna get addicted.
I'm no pro by any stretch so ill just give you one bit of advice.
Seriously consider just practicing this year and maybe going out with a friend and observe for the season, practice some more all the way up until next year and hunt then.
Good luck.

Schian
Old 08-19-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
Seriously consider just practicing this year and maybe going out with a friend and observe for the season, practice some more all the way up until next year and hunt then.
Good luck.

Schian
Thank you so much! I'm thinking you're right I would hate to get out there and shoot a deer and not kill it.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:20 AM

^^x2. This is good advice but probably not the advice you were looking for.

Last year was my first year bow hunting and I bought a bow about 8-10 weeks before the season started and practiced 6 out of 7 days a week. I was very proficient at 20 yards & could still keep my groups easily within 4-5 inches at 30 yards. I told myself that I wouldn't shoot at a deer past 20 yards unless I was 100 % positive that I could make the shot & all conditions were optimal. I ended up NOT even drawing on a deer last year but had an absolute blast & learned lots. I spent more time in the bush than any 3 rifle seasons combined and saw lots of animals. I am now a full blown addicted bow hunting nut. lol

If you do decide to try and shoot animals this year with a bow just remember to practice lots and stay within your realistic limits. Now that the "sermon" is over here are some of the practical things I've learned.

- Shoot as much as you can. Shoot standing, kneeling & even sitting.

- Shoot wearing your hunting gear, including gloves if you are going to wear them during the season.

- Get a rangefinder (any one will do) , knowing yardage is crucial to bow hunting.

- Buy a tree stand or ground blind, especially for whitetails you will get way closer and improve your chances dramatically.

- practice scent control and always be aware of the wind.

I'm sure there's lots more. lol. Good luck this season, have fun & be safe.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 AM

Thanks guys! I can't wait to shoot it later, the guys are the store are putting it all together today I pick it up later and can't wait to practice! I'm already addicted and haven't shot it yet hehe
Old 08-19-2013, 12:40 PM

Schian is right, thats what i did my first year.
practice practice practice....and get out in a stand or blind, even in the off season to see what you're up against.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:23 PM

yeah, go hunting and keep distance short. Shot a small mule deer buck at 17 yard my first year bow hunting during the second week of the season and it felt great. Shot a doe a few weeks later. They were my first big game animal kill ever with any weapon. Just be honest with your self and keep the distance short. You have time to learn to shoot 20 yards before hunting season and don't forget to practice with your broadhead they will not fly the same.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:26 PM

welcome to the dark side...lol

what bow ??? and good advise...shoot lots to the distances you feel comfortable at...

Good luck..shoot straight

Neil
Old 08-19-2013, 07:40 PM

Remember, bow hunting is about getting close, not shooting far.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
Good luck.

Schian
X3

Totally agree with this....bow hunting is fun but it takes a refinement of skill. You owe it to yourself and the game you hunt to be able to do it well.

There have been years I decided to not bow hunt due to not being able to practice enough....even though I have been doing it over 20 years....it is not like riding a bicycle

LC
Old 08-19-2013, 08:10 PM

Congrats on the new bow! Bow hunting is a great way to get out and away from the busy rifle season. You say you've never hunted in albera before.. Does that mean you've never hunted anywhere ever? Or just moved here and haven't had the chance to hunt here yet?
Old 08-20-2013, 09:38 AM

shoot shoot and shoot. you need to put at least 100 arrows through it before hunting. get accurate. work on tight groups. a 2" inch group at 20 yards can turn into a 12" group when your adreniline is pumping. last but most important is cap your distance at 30 yards for the first year. its late in the game get to know your equipment the best you can.

words of wisdom... its not a gun..wait for the perfect shot or dont shoot! dont try hail mary shots to much can go wrong.
Hope that helps!
Rob
Old 08-20-2013, 04:24 PM

It's a mission craze with the fuse kit, I've hunted before with rifles and shotguns,(dove, rabbits, coyotes, one deer, and a wild barbado.) that was in Texas though. I just moved back to alberta. Never have hunted with a bow. I got to do some shooting today ( was so much fun ). I'm pretty consistent at 20yrds, well I think I am for only shooting a bow a handful of times lol I'm getting them within 4-5 inches apart give or take. I really appreciate y'all giving me tips, please keep em coming . I over heard a couple guys at the store saying that you don't need a draw on muley or moose is that right and is that in all zones? Anyways thanks again good luck on bagging the big one
Old 08-20-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjardine View Post
It's a mission craze with the fuse kit, I've hunted before with rifles and shotguns,(dove, rabbits, coyotes, one deer, and a wild barbado.) that was in Texas though. I just moved back to alberta. Never have hunted with a bow. I got to do some shooting today ( was so much fun ). I'm pretty consistent at 20yrds, well I think I am for only shooting a bow a handful of times lol I'm getting them within 4-5 inches apart give or take. I really appreciate y'all giving me tips, please keep em coming . I over heard a couple guys at the store saying that you don't need a draw on muley or moose is that right and is that in all zones? Anyways thanks again good luck on bagging the big one
that is correct....in SOME zones, pick up a copy of the regs and all your answers are there.
make sure you understand exactly where you are or you could land in some hot water.

Schian