Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Laugh all you want, it doesn't mean your right. Besides I am simply passing along the info. and personal experiances. I tried googling the the BC regs for that report, but got lost. I did google Barbed vs Barbless hooks and most articles were quite old and subjective, not scientific. Even those that are pro barb say that barbless hooks will "slide and slice" a fish's mouth more then a barbed hook.
It's funny how some people will hold onto old beliefs even when new data might prove otherwise. I'm sure there are more studies being done on the whole barbed vs barbless question.
I'm not saying your right or wrong, and if they change the law back to barbless, then I will fish barbless or risk a fine. I would like to see some real scientific evidence that suggests one way or another. Latest studies say that there is no real difference as far as fish mortality when it comes to barbed or barbless. Yes I am still looking for that new info. that I read.
Quite honestly, I firmly believe that it is the way fish are handled by anglers after being landed or netted that causes the highest mortality rate.
By the by, I have never heard of Brian Chan.
Just for the record, you haven't provided any data. You have only provided here-say. You have yet to prove your point to any degree.

Cheers
Old 06-12-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot1 View Post
Do you people have feelings for fish or something? Are all you bearded tough guys just a bunch of softies when it comes down to it? Makes me wonder who's really voting NDP here.
Yes, i have feelings for any creature who is alive. Why don't you?

Cheers
Old 06-12-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
I think the reason your gut hooking your fish is because of the worm. Most places I fish are no bait and i can't remember the last time I had a fish gut hooked. Food for thought.

Cheers
This is the exact reason this happens, no tight lines. I would agree it is food for thought.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...ICA%3E2.3.CO;2

Lots of peer reviewed and published information available indicates exactly what wanterninja has indicated. Several studies also show treble hooks have no significant increase n mortality. Just as many studies have found the opposite, all peer reviewed and published.
I just took a few minutes to check out the studies and honestly there is a such a wide range of hooking fish that you can't say that one hook is better or worse than another. But I can guarantee this, based on what method you use to catch fish, there are ways to minimize mortality rates based on how people handle the fish before it is released.

Like I said before in this thread, we all witness those idiots who treat the fish like crap upon catching. Letting them flop around on the bank/shore/rocks, no net, picking up by the gills for C&R, ripping the hook(s) out, throwing them back, no recovery time, dry hands...you name it. Taking 5 minutes to find the camera for the perfect pictures, passing the fish around for everyone to get a good look.

C&R is fine as long as people play by the rules and have FEELINGS about our environment.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just for the record, you haven't provided any data. You have only provided here-say. You have yet to prove your point to any degree.

Cheers
Your quite right Wags. It really isn't that important to me to go find the new regs. that has that info, but they will turn up. I do have my own experiance's, but that's not hard science. Also, I'm not really trying to prove anything, just putting out another perspective.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think the reason your gut hooking your fish is because of the worm. Most places I fish are no bait and i can't remember the last time I had a fish gut hooked. Food for thought.

Cheers
I agree with you on this also Wags. Fish do seem to swallow hooks tipped with bait much more then those with no bait. However,I can't imagine having a bait ban for all fishing.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:12 PM
Banned

I always thought C&R waterfowl hunting could be fun. We could use shotshells loaded with tiny water based paint balls. Each guy in the blind could have a different colour to identify who hit the bird. The birds could continue flying unharmed and as ducks and geese bathe daily after feeding water based paints would just wash away. No birds killed and on those 100+ Snow Goose hunts think of all the bird cleaning avoided?!!
Old 06-13-2017, 10:33 AM

Don't worry, now we have vegan fishing.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Don't worry, now we have vegan fishing.

L.O.L.