Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-08-2009, 12:35 AM

The girlfriend...hey Brian...now dating her

WHAT A FISH...MY GOODNESSSS...HUGEEE

Old 08-09-2009, 04:06 AM

Well I have been lurking on this post since it was started, lots of great fish on here congrats to everyone.

I'm getting off nightshift in a hour, going home throwing my bag in the truck, picking up my Grandpa and heading to the airport.

We are going for 5 days-living on the boat with Captains Jim's out of Kitimat.

First time on the ocean for me, hopefully will be posting some pics in a week.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:45 AM

Fished Aug 2 at logan creek out of renfrew,3 anglers, 4 chinook 1 hatchery coho in the boat,32# the largest, some long line releases,1 real close. next day went up to the nitnat,4 anglers first bite after 2 hours of trolling was a double header,mine bite off, the other one weighed 41 1/2 lbs 4hours later. two more double headers,and a couple of single hits.4 30lb fish were all screamers,line peeling aching forearm chase em down fun.the 8 chinook averaged 30lbs. 1 little 20 lber to even out the 40 pictures when I can
Old 08-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher Gord View Post
Fished Aug 2 at logan creek out of renfrew,3 anglers, 4 chinook 1 hatchery coho in the boat,32# the largest, some long line releases,1 real close. next day went up to the nitnat,4 anglers first bite after 2 hours of trolling was a double header,mine bite off, the other one weighed 41 1/2 lbs 4hours later. two more double headers,and a couple of single hits.4 30lb fish were all screamers,line peeling aching forearm chase em down fun.the 8 chinook averaged 30lbs. 1 little 20 lber to even out the 40 pictures when I can
Good report fisher thx for that.. We will be anxiously waiting for the pics..

We are leaving at 3:00 a:m tomorrow morning man am I a pacing..
Old 08-09-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Good report fisher thx for that.. We will be anxiously waiting for the pics..

We are leaving at 3:00 a:m tomorrow morning man am I a pacing..
Good Luck and by all reports you should be into LOTS of fish, don't forget to post some pictures when your back.......
Old 08-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Banned

Got back from Sooke on Saturday night from our 4 day trip. I must say that I think we caught more Salmon than I have ever seen caught in 4 days. I would of like to of seen a few more Chinook in we managed 5 over 4 days 1 smaller one in at 12 pounds and the other 4 in at 25, 26, 27 & 28 pounds. The Pinks and Coho were in thick a person honestly got tired of taking fish off the line. It was actually a treat to run the boat and have a break from taking off the fish and rebating. We also managed 3 dandy hatchery Coho to bring home and we released a few dandy wild Coho a couple pushing the 15# mark what awesome fighters these fish are. The weather was very cooperative as well so that always makes for a good trip.

Here are a couple pics from the trip..

Bro inlaws 27#er..

My 28#er..

Couple random shots..

Last edited by Walleyes; 08-17-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:26 PM

Fishing here is sitll UN freaking REAL!! LImited out about 15 days in a row again now...only not limited on Chinook 5 times all year. Most in the 23-32lbs range. Now have a couple spots for Lings and Yelloweye where we will catch 15 Yelloweye and 15 Lingcod in an hr and a half...then limiting on halibut is easy as pie as well. There is no reason each day we shouldn't limit out on everything...literally not allowed to catch another fish! UNreal guys...love it!

Big Coho moving in now...hooked northerns. Caught a 20lbs Coho 3 days ago and everyday at least 2 in the tub weighing in at 16lbs or more. Avg size of Coho now is about 12-14lbs...not a word of a lie...unreal and big. Nice filler...but what is best is the Chinook are at one end of the tach and Coho at the other...so load up on Chinook then move down 200ft and nail the Coho...what a life! Season almost over...it has been the best ever and next year is only supposed to be better for Chinook and just as good for Coho...who is exicted alreadry? Still 10 days left on this one though.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:50 AM

Default Walleye's Salmon

Walleye's, Great Pics!!
I mentioned before it's not a jail PIC you are allowed to SMILE. Make it look like you are having a good TIME!!

Sounds like you guys had a good trip. Did you have your Boy's with you?? Probably out fished the Oldman hey!!

I was going to head back up to SandSpit for some fishing, didn't make it.
A few to many things on the LIST.

Heading up Sturgeon fishing in OCT, might try alittle Salmon as well. Should be a good time.

Anyways Congrat's on the trip, nothing like doing it on your own.

PS: How are those E-Tec's working??????

Hey forgot to ASK, Any HALIBUTTTTT??????????
Old 08-18-2009, 07:45 AM

Leaving for Langara Island in the Queen Charlottes in 13 days for 5 days fishing Sept 1-5. I am so pumped. All the great fishing this year hopefully will last another couple of weeks. The Farmer's Almanac is saying Sept 1-4, is supposed to be the best fishing. My fingers are crossed and freezer space available. We have 32 people chartering a direct flight from Calgary to Masset with room for 4 more on the trip. PM me is anyone is interested.

Cheers

Sun
Old 08-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Banned

Thx Rigg..

To answer some of your questions,, We didn't do any Halibut fishing I like to concentrate on the Salmon this time of year.

And unfortunately nun of the boys made it this year this was a stag trip,, it really takes a lot of the enjoyment out of it when the family isn't there. I told the wife that I won't go back for this trip unless they are there so we will see.

Those E-Tec's are still running smooth as silk. This is season number 4 for them and not the slightest hiccup yet.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:42 PM

Old 08-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Banned

Some nice lookin fish there Steve.. I would geuss that Hali at about 60# ??

Any details about the fishing..

Thx for the pics..
Old 08-18-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Some nice lookin fish there Steve.. I would geuss that Hali at about 60# ??

Any details about the fishing..

Thx for the pics..
Thanks Walleyes, we lived on the boat for 5 days out of Kitimat. Limited out on coho's before breakfast the first morning. Caught halibut, lingcod, snapper, that halibut was 58'' and going by the weight graph its supposed to weigh 100 lbs we never did put it on a scale. We ate good and fishing was excellent.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Banned

Great stuff Steve..

Thats one heck of a Hali,, they pull like a horse them buggers don't they..

Thx for the details and again for the pics..
Old 09-21-2009, 04:32 PM

As more and more information comes in about salmon runs, it seems many river systems had record numbers this year...northly rivers are getting more accurate numbers and it seems like the Central Coast numbers (which we fish) are extremelyyyy good...won't know exactly until about november when DFO gives out the approx. return numbers.

Campbell and Quinsum Rivers had record pink numbers...shattering the previous records. This year over 800,000 pinks compared to the previous record of 457,000!!!!.

I believe this is a great indication of how amazing the Chinook and Coho fisheries will be in the upcoming years...as Pink have 2 year cycles, Coho have 3 year, and Chinook have 3-7 year cycles, so the next few years should be phenomonal for them...plus due to 2006 returns of Chinooks and outgoing juvenile Chinook numbers the past couple years (which have been record numbers in many cases) 2010-2013 look to be some unfreaking real fishing....I can't wait!!! Especially with how great the fishing was this year!!!!...It should be even better...which is mind boggling!! Yeeehawwww!!
Old 09-22-2009, 07:11 PM

That's great news David - I would think there will be some monster springs in the mix next year then right ? What's your take on the Fraser Sockeye situation this year that's gotta be a huge concern no ?...
Old 09-22-2009, 11:46 PM

I'm thinking there will be some doozy's...I know we'll hook into some over 60lbs...just about getting them in the net!!

As for the sockeye it certainly is a weird situation. The run of Sockeye that goes to POrt Alberni was a good run this year...so that leads many to believe that it was isolated to the Fraser run and therefore many to believe fish farms etc etc. However, after doing some reading and research it seems like that wouldn't explain it due to the migration routes of the sockeye as well as other salmon species that are thriving...it is just a very weird situation....DFO really has no clue as to what the heck is going on with the salmon out in the open ocean...and in their defence it is certainly a hard situation to understand.

I'm hoping this is a one year thing...and DFO's predictions are questionable at best...this year the Chinook run was only supposed to be slightly better than last when in fact for many places along the coast, even Campbell River (fish farm central) it was the best year in over 15 years...so who freakin' knows really....I just take it year by year and do my best not to get my hopes up...although the predictions for the next 3-4 years look amazing...so its hard not to...especially with all the juvies heading out to sea this past couple years...let's hope the conditions out there are good for them and they come back in hoards!!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:40 AM

Apparently this an El Nino year hopefully that won't mess things up again, what is the relationship between wild salmon stocks and fish farms or what impact do the fish farms have on wild stocks ??
Old 10-20-2009, 03:52 PM

So much debate about that now BP...as it seems there were record returns everywhere except southern BC (Fraser, Thompson, Somass etc) and that is where the bulk of the fish farms lay. However, Campbell River and the broughton archipelago have many many fish farms as well and the pink (said to be the salmon most affected by the sea lice) returns to the rivers were 3x the previous records!!! So it is such a tough thing to prove...and therefore why the fish farms still remain in our waters.

However, like I said before, the unreal returns that the US and central coast saw this year is a great sign. The US has done a great job of recovering their lost stocks...and this year, apparently, a lot of the fish we were catching were US bound...again, that is apparently...no idea how you'd prove that but I know the Coho returns to the Columbia are phenomonal.