Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-25-2011, 06:20 PM

Default Marmish Rods?

Hey All,
I'm a fly fisherman, haven't chucked gear for decades, (unless fraser fishing for sturgeon)I was thinking of doing some hard water fishing as it looks fairly relaxing so I have been looking at set-ups. In Sundance's perch thread Deb mentions Marmish rods, I searched them on the interwebs and I just can't figure out how they work. Is the line just spooled in to the handle? do you just wrap it in or out depending on depth?

Should I just get the prototypical ice fishing rod and reel they have at WSS for $40?
Old 10-25-2011, 07:09 PM

you can get general idea here https://www.marmish.ca/ lot of info and some video
Old 10-25-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Hey All,
I'm a fly fisherman, haven't chucked gear for decades, (unless fraser fishing for sturgeon)I was thinking of doing some hard water fishing as it looks fairly relaxing so I have been looking at set-ups. In Sundance's perch thread Deb mentions Marmish rods, I searched them on the interwebs and I just can't figure out how they work. Is the line just spooled in to the handle? do you just wrap it in or out depending on depth?

Should I just get the prototypical ice fishing rod and reel they have at WSS for $40?
Claim that one I put up on the PIF and give it a try. I like using a regular rod alot more so I have no use for it. Or maybe if you have a 4 or 6wt. floating fly line that you don't have any use for maybe we could trade.

If you are going to use a regular rod for perch I would say you should probably go with an ultra lite set up to make things a little more enjoyable. I use a Frabil bro series combo for perch fishing sherburn quite oftern. The quick tip models are decent I have heard the ultra lite is also a nice one. These are the only combos I have found with half decent reels but they still aren't as good as buying a rod and reel seperate.

If you want to get together sometime in the later part of the season I would be more then willing to meet up with you out on the ice for some fun. I have a ton of gear that you can check out to.

Nate
Old 10-25-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Hey All,

not a big fan of the marmish. for guys that can't watch their line. jay if you want a sweet perch set up look at the HT ice blue ultra light rods. team it with a nice little ul reel and 2lb test and your good to go. anything bigger than perch though, you'll need something heavier. medium action works for most. look at HT, or St. Croix. i would stay away from combos.

Dace
Old 10-25-2011, 07:48 PM

I was thinking of fishing on the K lakes, Spray, Trout trout trout. I'm still too elite to fish for perch... not perch
Old 10-25-2011, 08:32 PM

I wasn't convinced about the Marmish rods either, until I was the only one in my group catching perch out of Pine Lake last winter. Now my husband has one, too, the copycat

There's a fisherman on the board, AK47 (haven't seen him for a while) who is the Marmish King. He's quite the fisherman anyway, but a wizard with a Marmish. AK? If you're out there, how about a your perspective on the rod and technique?

We flyfish, too, Jay ... and spin cast ... and use tip ups ... whatever works

Deb
Old 10-25-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
not a big fan of the marmish. for guys that can't watch their line. jay if you want a sweet perch set up look at the HT ice blue ultra light rods. team it with a nice little ul reel and 2lb test and your good to go. anything bigger than perch though, you'll need something heavier. medium action works for most. look at HT, or St. Croix. i would stay away from combos.

Dace
Seriously? You might not be a "big fan of marmish," but you're wrong on two counts.

I am not a guy and I can watch my line.

It's all about having some fun, not about "guys that can't watch their line."

What a bunch of malarkey.

Deb
Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Banned

Not a fan of them, good for the 3-4 inch perch but if you get a fish of any size those rods make it hard to land them.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:45 PM

Marmish rods are Gold in the Perch, Whitefish, and stocked trout world. No if ands or buts
Old 10-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Marmish rods are Gold in the Perch, Whitefish, and stocked trout world. No if ands or buts
90% of my winter is spent fish for perch. I personally think they're garbage, go get yourself a good ultra light set-up with a spring bobber or other indicater on the end. That way if you happen to get a pike or walleye you actually have a decent drag system and a chance at getting it up the hole.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo2 View Post
90% of my winter is spent fish for perch. I personally think they're garbage, go get yourself a good ultra light set-up with a spring bobber or other indicater on the end. That way if you happen to get a pike or walleye you actually have a decent drag system and a chance at getting it up the hole.
Despite us being arch nemesissys,,, I CONCUR!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Every Ice Angler should have at least two Marmish in their tackle bags. They are definitely a tool that should not be overlooked. When you fish Gull lake and can see a whitefish inhale a wireworm on your rod and spit it out... without looking down the hole... you really have something. Ive been using them for perch trout and walleye in depths no more than 12 feet, for years. To each their own, but to call them garbage is wrong. Sorry to say, many people have learned to handle the bigger fish on them, Im assuming you just havent learned how to do so.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Every Ice Angler should have at least two Marmish in their tackle bags. They are definitely a tool that should not be overlooked. When you fish Gull lake and can see a whitefish inhale a wireworm on your rod and spit it out... without looking down the hole... you really have something. Ive been using them for perch trout and walleye in depths no more than 12 feet, for years. To each their own, but to call them garbage is wrong. Sorry to say, many people have learned to handle the bigger fish on them, Im assuming you just havent learned how to do so.
To each their own but you won't catch myself or anyone I fish with using one. With a good quality set-up I guarantee I can see every bite you do with your marmish. Only time we fish shallower than 12 feet is in late march, other than that we're chasing the jumbos out in deeper water. In my eyes they are garbage, so that's what I will call them.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:08 PM

lol.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
lol.
Indeed.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Banned

I spent my money on a camera so i don't have to watch my line I watch the fish use an ultra line 2lb test with a reel why use a piece of plastic you have to hand line did that when I was a kid with a piece of wood.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
We can usually slay these jumbos on marmish rods fairly regularly. Everyone else goes home skunked. These perch bite light. One maggot or fresh water shrimp on a small marmish hook and the indicator barley moves. Set the hook and nothing but line stretch best feeling ever.

Each to their own but when the going gets tough my pails full and people ask if I'm catching anything and I smile and say no.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:41 PM

This 47 inch pike 26 inch girth was a hand line ex North American World Record for ice fishing 1985 Mar 1 to Mar 11 2006 but i would try Marmish rod ,, what ever works Picture%20701.jpg

David
Old 10-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural.born.fawn.killer View Post
We can usually slay these jumbos on marmish rods fairly regularly. Everyone else goes home skunked. These perch bite light. One maggot or fresh water shrimp on a small marmish hook and the indicator barley moves. Set the hook and nothing but line stretch best feeling ever.

Each to their own but when the going gets tough my pails full and people ask if I'm catching anything and I smile and say no.
Must be a small pail if there's only 10of those size perch in there, I see maybe 3 jumbos. I'm willing to bet there was other factors involved and not just the rod making the difference. As I've said before, with an UL and a spring bobber or other strike indicater on the tip I can see every bite/wiggle/sniff of my lure that your marmish can and hen some.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:55 PM

This was a slow day.....wish I had some pictures of the bigger ones we get. Some of those are way below average. Just saying marmish work for us.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Banned

Each to their own.

A marmish prob isnt what the OP is looking for.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:05 PM

Jay just add a sensitive tip to a ice fishing rod. Then you can use a small fly reel to feel like your still fly fishing....

Cheers, Monger
Old 10-25-2011, 10:37 PM

For some reason I always end up hand lining everything so for me any ice fishing tackle is basically a way to hold line. I have caught decent sized lake whitefish (I think the largest was 14") with my marmish so it's definitely not for 3" perch only. In fact I use it more for whitefish and trout than perch. I do love how sensitive the tip is, beats any rod I've ever tried. The other great thing about it is how portable it is.

I don't think anyone should discount it and call it garbage, it can fish just as well as other tackle, just different. I've seen old timers on the ice with nothing but line wrapped around a wooden paint stir stick catching fish so in reality anything that holds line is good enough for ice fishing.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Banned

There is nothing magical about a marmish rod it is a small plastic rod with a very fine strike indicator and nothing more sorry to burst your bubble.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:00 PM

It's really the strike indicator that works. I flutter a hook from the bottom to 20" off the bottom and receive strikes in-between. It could be wooden spoon with an indicator forall it matters so you are right. People get really fired up over marmish geeze. Sorry for posting a picture and saying marmish works.

Looks like I'll stick to the hunting section of the forum.

Last edited by NBFK; 10-25-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
As I've said before, with an UL and a spring bobber or other strike indicater on the tip I can see every bite/wiggle/sniff of my lure that your marmish can and hen some.
The only way to compare is head to head on the same lake. I have never seen any other rods/systems beat proper marmish system when it comes to perch fishing... So lets wait for hard water and meet up for some friendly derby... maybe we will learn something new from each other?
And seeing bite is not the only thing in perch fishing... can you create proper vibrations to provoke perch bait on slow days with your UL and spring bobber - answer is no.
Last years Sundance perch fishing derby was perfect example... it was storm, cold and windy, perch bite was slow and average catch was 5-10 perch, despite that me and my friend using marmish rods ( I must admit we used original russian sportfishing palm rods which are a bit different then marmish sold here in Canada, but principle is the same ) and wolfram jigs easily won this with 90 and 45 - and we had no flashers or cameras. Not that I am some kind of expert but just had best fishing rod/jig combo ever invented for perch fishing. So please prove me wrong
Old 10-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
The only way to compare is head to head on the same lake. I have never seen any other rods/systems beat proper marmish system when it comes to perch fishing... So lets wait for hard water and meet up for some friendly derby... maybe we will learn something new from each other?
And seeing bite is not the only thing in perch fishing... can you create proper vibrations to provoke perch bait on slow days with your UL and spring bobber - answer is no.
Last years Sundance perch fishing derby was perfect example... it was storm, cold and windy, perch bite was slow and average catch was 5-10 perch, despite that me and my friend using marmish rods ( I must admit we used original russian sportfishing palm rods which are a bit different then marmish sold here in Canada, but principle is the same ) and wolfram jigs easily won this with 90 and 45 - and we had no flashers or cameras. Not that I am some kind of expert but just had best fishing rod/jig combo ever invented for perch fishing. So please prove me wrong
you can honestly say that no one can create proper vibrations to provoke perch to bite on a slow day with a UL and a strike indicator. I would say that statement is rather indignant.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Not a fan of them, good for the 3-4 inch perch but if you get a fish of any size those rods make it hard to land them.
It is all about mastering technique and using it right. Thats 10-12 inchers from Sherburne 25-30ft deep. You can see my palm rod and jig here as well. No cameras, no flashers.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
you can honestly say that no one can create proper vibrations to provoke perch to bite on a slow day with a UL and a strike indicator. I would say that statement is rather indignant.
It is matter of simple physics. You can get up to 300 vibrations per minute with palm rod, no way you will do it with UL - they are just not designed for that.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
It is matter of simple physics. You can get up to 300 vibrations per minute with palm rod, no way you will do it with UL - they are just not designed for that.
That still don't no prove that a person with an ultra light with a strike indicator cant provoke perch to bite it is just YOUR opinion.