Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-13-2012, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishslayer420 View Post
not only is barbless bettr for the fish,its more of a challenge to catch them... barbs are for babies
X2.. I agree!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
Regardless of conclusive evidence, there is no way anyone can claim that barbless would be worse than barbed. Intuitively, it makes sense. Use your brains gentlemen. If you can honestly tell me it is easier to dig a treble hook with barbs out of a deeply hooked fishes throat compared to a barbless hook...you're nothing more than a liar.
Actually there may be. There is talk and maybe some evidence to show that barbless is worse. Barbless hooks do penetrate further possibly leading to higher mortallity rates. You maybe shouldnt be digging any hooks out of a throat! See more people digging for hooks that should be left now too. And I have dug barbed hooks out of me. Same rule applies, quick twist with pliers and its out! Whose the babies nowLOL
Old 02-13-2012, 06:28 AM

So how many of you barbless fans would be in favour of going baitless? Other than fly fishermen.

Ya thats what I thought.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
So how many of you barbless fans would be in favour of going baitless? Other than fly fishermen.

Ya thats what I thought.
All baits or just real baits?

If it was just real and you could still use plastics then I would do my best to make it work.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:42 AM

Barbless hooks are bull****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:45 AM

I fish barbless 99% of the time for several reasons and I am sure one of them is that I feel better about catch and release fishing using barbless, regardless of whether there is a current study that shows statistically significant evidence that barbless results in less mortality. I guess my question is why fish barbless? If it is a matter of loosing fish, it should only take a few lost fish to help understand that your technique needs improving. So again, why fish barbed in the first place?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
I guess my question is why fish barbless? If it is a matter of loosing fish, it should only take a few lost fish to help understand that your technique needs improving. So again, why fish barbed in the first place?
Couldn't agree more. The use of barbless hooks hasn't prevented salmon anglers on the West Coast from putting tens of thousands of salmon in their fish tubs every summer. We took our biggest Chinook (50 lbs) on a single barbless, with no concerns. It also makes the release so much easier.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Actually there may be. There is talk and maybe some evidence to show that barbless is worse. Barbless hooks do penetrate further possibly leading to higher mortallity rates. You maybe shouldnt be digging any hooks out of a throat! See more people digging for hooks that should be left now too. And I have dug barbed hooks out of me. Same rule applies, quick twist with pliers and its out! Whose the babies nowLOL
I don't think there is any scientific evidence as to wether a hook should be left in or taken out. So we're back at the beginning again ....
Old 02-13-2012, 08:45 AM
hunter49

Quote:
You maybe shouldnt be digging any hooks out of a throat! See more people digging for hooks that should be left now too.
Please don't tell me you are one of the fisherman leaving hooks inside a fish when it is hooked deep. The hooks do not rust out, so try your best to get it out.

I fish in Ontario every summer and use barbed hooks. If you know how to properly unhook a fish, barbed hooks are no worse on fish. If you twist on the hooks and rip their face off then obviously it is worse on the fish. But most likely the people who do this would do the same with barbless hooks. When fishing single hooks (jig) barbed I can usually pop it out with my finger...no harm done!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:16 AM

I think they should ban the use of 2 treble hooks on one lure.

Lear how to fish and barbs are no longer required!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolf View Post
Learn how to fish and barbs are no longer required!
thats a pretty rude statement...sure to ruffle feathers....too bad its true!

Remember the days where you could head out on the ice and tell where guys had success because there was patches of blood left near the holes?

you dont see much of that anymore...barbless hooks are a great thing IMO....we were pinching barbs for years before it was law, especially on the double or triple hooked crankbaits...those things are a PITA with barbs.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoDerrick View Post
Barbless is sure nice when you snag your clothing though.
or your skin...LOL
Old 02-13-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Stick a barbed hook 1/4" into your arm. Then stick a barbless hook 1/4" into your arm. Tell me which one comes out easier.

I am all for barbless hooks. I have learned to fish with them and think its the only way to go!
Nice story but, real scientific studies have proven that in "catch and release" fisheries barbed is far better for fish, not worse? Care to guess why? We all know that when you are fishing barbless it takes more time and skill to land a fish- thats the problem - the time to land the fish! The quicker you can get a fish off your line with pliers the faster it can recover. I have salmon fished a ton and I will tell you what - barbed hooks would really help if you were doing catch and release (most bigger salmon will fight to the death). Besdies, the only reason we have this law is Ralph Klien salmon fished at his lodge and thought it would be a great idea for Alberta - not!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
Hookless would be really good for the fish and much more challenging. I think that's the way I've been fishing this year from the results I have achieved.
Not one fish was harmed prior to writing this post!

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 02-13-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Couldn't agree more. The use of barbless hooks hasn't prevented salmon anglers on the West Coast from putting tens of thousands of salmon in their fish tubs every summer. We took our biggest Chinook (50 lbs) on a single barbless, with no concerns. It also makes the release so much easier.
You are wrong - need to look at the UBC studies - barbless is not better for fish being released.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spopadyn View Post
Nice story but, real scientific studies have proven that in "catch and release" fisheries barbed is far better for fish, not worse? Care to guess why? We all know that when you are fishing barbless it takes more time and skill to land a fish- thats the problem - the time to land the fish! The quicker you can get a fish off your line with pliers the faster it can recover. I have salmon fished a ton and I will tell you what - barbed hooks would really help if you were doing catch and release (most bigger salmon will fight to the death). Besdies, the only reason we have this law is Ralph Klien salmon fished at his lodge and thought it would be a great idea for Alberta - not!
Sounds like you want to target the people that hold the fish out of the water for 10 min while taking pictures, rather than the barbed vs barbless debate. Landing a fish quickly is not better for the fish if you do not release it right away.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoDerrick View Post
Sounds like you want to target the people that hold the fish out of the water for 10 min while taking pictures, rather than the barbed vs barbless debate. Landing a fish quickly is not better for the fish if you do not release it right away.
Just making a coment on those who claim to have read the studies but didn't. You are right - if you have no intention of releasing a fish - obviously a barbed hook will be worse for the fish! And yes, it is my pet peeve all the posed for pictures with fish to be released. I love watching the fishing guides who release fish by never netting and using a quick flick of the pliers. Those shows on WFN where they take pictures then measure the fish and hold it up for all to see - man that is so annoying. Either kill it or let it go but throwing a fish belly side up in the water is not catch and release!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
We all know that when you are fishing barbless it takes more time and skill to land a fish- thats the problem
i would ask you not include me under that "ALL" blanket....if you want to muscle a fish to the boat it makes no difference whether the hook is barbed or not
Old 02-13-2012, 03:32 PM

and some people wonder why others are stupid enough to assume a brook trout is a brown trout.....

Just goes to show how educated our angling community is.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
and some people wonder why others are stupid enough to assume a brook trout is a brown trout.....

Just goes to show how educated our angling community is.

Really? What are you even trying to say? Your comment demonstartes a lack of education and a lack of being on topic. Maybe you can explain it better...
Old 02-13-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
i would ask you not include me under that "ALL" blanket....if you want to muscle a fish to the boat it makes no difference whether the hook is barbed or not
Stop yappin - you make no sense! If you can horse a fish to the boat quickly, they have a much larger chance of survival on being released. Nobody in there right mind would even doubt that. If you are one of those guys that likes to reel a fish in slowly and play around with them, well, frankly, you should really be for barbed hooks. You imply that muscling a fish to the boat is somehow "bad" for a fish - nothing could be further from the truth - just look at all the studies done by the universities and you will suddenly get educated!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Okay, I have to reply to this post, as there are a few things I can comment on.

First of all, scientific studies do not prove things, they support ideas but do not prove them. Making a statement like you did definitely takes away some credibility from your post.

Secondly, we don't all know that it takes more time to land a fish with barbless hooks. I know that it is just as quick for me to land a fish with a barbless hook as a barbed one due to the fact I must keep tension on the fish at all times.

So the fish comes in just as quick, and I find it quicker to unhook them with barbless hooks.

Can you please explain the reason that barbed hooks would help the salmon on the west coast? How would it make the fighting time lower?
Old 02-13-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Stop yappin - you make no sense! If you can horse a fish to the boat quickly, they have a much larger chance of survival on being released. Nobody in there right mind would even doubt that. If you are one of those guys that likes to reel a fish in slowly and play around with them, well, frankly, you should really be for barbed hooks. You imply that muscling a fish to the boat is somehow "bad" for a fish - nothing could be further from the truth - just look at all the studies done by the universities and you will suddenly get educated!
your reading comprehension just plain sucks...i could not care less if you want to horse a fish into the boat or play him out on light tackle. My post discredits your claims that a barb somehow has a bearing on the final outcome. No university study will sway my opinion on that. Ive seen and felt it both ways and KNOW it makes no difference. Just like i know a semi-automatic rifle is no more dangerous than a bolt action. But i bet i can find a "study" that says otherwise!

If my post does not make sense to you try reading it with your "educated" hat on next time.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I would love to be educated by these university studies that prove barbed hooks are better for fish than barbless, could you please cite this study(s) that you are referring too? Thanks!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
I would love to be educated by these university studies that prove barbed hooks are better for fish than barbless, could you please cite this study(s) that you are referring too? Thanks!
Indeed, let's see it
Old 02-13-2012, 05:46 PM

I haven't fished with barbs for over 30 years for a few reasons.
1: I can get the hook out a lot faster if releasing back to the water, I don't have to twist the heck out of the fish.
2: it is easier to take an unbarbed hook out of a friend
3: it's easier to take an unbarbed hook out of me
4: it's easier for a kid to get an unbarbed hook out of themselves.
5: It's easier to set an unbarbed hook because it takes less force.
6: Fishing barbless makes me concentrate more on keeping a tight line.
Cat
Old 02-13-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I haven't fished with barbs for over 30 years for a few reasons.
1: I can get the hook out a lot faster if releasing back to the water, I don't have to twist the heck out of the fish.
Little to no time difference, quick twist of pliers or forcepts, dont even have to touch the fish.
2: it is easier to take an unbarbed hook out of a friend
Quick twist with pliers hook is out.
3: it's easier to take an unbarbed hook out of me
Quick twist with pliers hook is out.
4: it's easier for a kid to get an unbarbed hook out of themselves.
Quick twist with pliers hook is out. but might concede this one
5: It's easier to set an unbarbed hook because it takes less force.
Also easier to drive hook into vital area due to ease of penetration and constant force from fight allows hooks to bury in.
6: Fishing barbless makes me concentrate more on keeping a tight line.
Keeping a tight line is what I strive for regardless of what hook/barb/barbless
Cat
7: Pain caused by having to squeeze down barb
8: Time spent pinching down barbs better spent actually fishing
9: Fear trying to remember if I pinched the barbs down.
10: Feel good law that likely has little to no impact anyway.

I think the barbed/barbless issue should have been left up to the individual!
And not rammed through by Klein and made a law.
jmho
Old 02-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Banned

I support barbless hook policy.

I wish I could use them for whites when using small hooks though. Lose a lot due to them being barbless. Only for whites though, I don't find it makes much difference for other species, especially when you can still use 3 treble hooks on a line.

In the Bow you can use 3 trebles. In BC rivers you can only use single barbless...
Old 02-13-2012, 07:03 PM

losing the fish of a lifetime becuase you had a babrless hook would also suck!!
my theory is that in alberta there are to many city boys that dont know how to take out a barbed hook, thats why it is the law, and in Bc there is to many ignorant albertans that come there so thats why it is the law there,
Old 02-13-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Really? What are you even trying to say? Your comment demonstartes a lack of education and a lack of being on topic. Maybe you can explain it better...
Make the comparison to the fact that some anglers dont fully understand regs. The arguments towards barbed hooks being less harmful then barbless is completely stupid. Similar to people assuming a type of char being a true trout. Its pretty straight forward information that is easily understood if you have any common sense. My argument is based on anglers having common sense, and I'm not seeing a whole lot of it on this thread.

Is that explained well enough for you?