Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-08-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
also, don't try and enjoy a beer while on shore having a fish fry either....learned that the hard way
I'm going to look this up. I was always under the impression that having a beer on shore was fine (so long as it wasn't a provincial park or such).

In fact, it's always been my excuse for transporting un-opened beer. I am not drinking them in the boat, I am merely transporting them somewhere. (Then cracking one once the CO is out of sight)
Old 05-08-2012, 11:54 AM

Alright, looked it up.

It is legal to transport alcohol.

Section 83 of the Gaming and Liquor Act:

"A common carrier or other person may, in accordance with this Act, transport liquor from a place where liquor is lawfully located to another place where liquor may be lawfully located."

I will continue with my strategy of transporting beer in my boat during the day, in a cooler, for consumption later on at a shore lunch up-river. I might run into issues depending on where I stop for shore lunch (can't be a "public place")

**EDIT **

Here is some additional information from the regulations to the Act:

Transportation of liquor
87.1(1) Liquor may be transported under section 83 of the Act only in accordance with this section.
(2) Except as otherwise provided for in the Act or in a liquor licence, no person may
(a) transport liquor unless the liquor is in a container that is capped, corked or otherwise closed, whether or not the container has been previously opened;
(b) transport liquor in a vehicle if the liquor is within easy access of an occupant of the vehicle.

The phrase "easy access" might be defined in common law by now. I might go have a look at that next.

Further, Section 84 deals with drinking on a boat:

Except as otherwise provided for in this Act or in a liquor licence, no person may consume liquor in a vehicle unless, when the liquor is being consumed, the vehicle is a temporary residence. (temporary residence is a defined term)

Last edited by Canehdianman; 05-08-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: added
Old 05-08-2012, 12:05 PM

Default boooo

so the operator of the boat cant drink but my passenger can.....correct?

happy
Old 05-08-2012, 12:20 PM

No...

No beer in 12' fishing boat period...

Portapotty and hibachi grill in boat does not qualify as a residence...

and if you would rememebr you boating coaurse... you would already know the answer...
Old 05-08-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
what the heck are you drinking...lol. I bet you hang around bbj so much he's got you drinking that crappy rice beer Budweiser.

MDG, or Moosehead.....or nuthin' !
Nothin wrong with Busweiser or Kokanee . Better then that crap canadian or corona.

At least we are manly enough to fish more then just manitoba . And you sir probably drink that Coors Icetea .

Back to the thread before im a Thread derailing terrorist , Booze and boats bad bad bad idea . Being in a boat takes a persons full attention , and drinking or doing drugs will greatly increase your chance of something real bad happening . Not sure about you but I value my life , and will save the booze for when I get home or to camp .

You dont drink and drive , well maybe you do , but being incontrol of a Boat is no diffrent then having a beer in your hand driving down the highway .

If you have your boaters opperator card , you will have taken the course and would know the above answers already .

BE SMART BOOZING AND BOATING DONT MIX .
Old 05-08-2012, 02:00 PM

Talking

that's ok BSJ. I mean.. Oooops. BBJ. you can deny that I drink MGD and Moosehead.. but hey.. Its better to drink moosehead than to give it .....

Plus..... I think that rice beer is making you hallucinate... Thinking and claiming you can cast over fort sask trout pond. Some of us keep it real.. And some of us dream. Am I right? Am I right? Lol BBJ....sloooooow doooown before i ship you to Kenyaaaaaaaa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Nothin wrong with Busweiser or Kokanee . Better then that crap canadian or corona.

At least we are manly enough to fish more then just manitoba . And you sir probably drink that Coors Icetea .

Back to the thread before im a Thread derailing terrorist , Booze and boats bad bad bad idea . Being in a boat takes a persons full attention , and drinking or doing drugs will greatly increase your chance of something real bad happening . Not sure about you but I value my life , and will save the booze for when I get home or to camp .

You dont drink and drive , well maybe you do , but being incontrol of a Boat is no diffrent then having a beer in your hand driving down the highway .

If you have your boaters opperator card , you will have taken the course and would know the above answers already .

BE SMART BOOZING AND BOATING DONT MIX .
Old 05-08-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
so the operator of the boat cant drink but my passenger can.....correct?

happy
Yes you are fine. Just tell them you read it on Alberta Outdoorsman. That ought to cover you off.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunted View Post
Yes you are fine. Just tell them you read it on Alberta Outdoorsman. That ought to cover you off.
lol
Old 05-08-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
that's ok BSJ. I mean.. Oooops. BBJ. you can deny that I drink MGD and Moosehead.. but hey.. Its better to drink moosehead than to give it .....

Plus..... I think that rice beer is making you hallucinate... Thinking and claiming you can cast over fort sask trout pond. Some of us keep it real.. And some of us dream. Am I right? Am I right? Lol BBJ....sloooooow doooown before i ship you to Kenyaaaaaaaa!
I hope thats not a threat , That would be a FORUM RULE . as for me casting across that pond as soon as the peanut gallery chimed in and told me what I could and couldn't use for equipment I walked away from it otherwise id be game .
Old 05-08-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I hope thats not a threat , That would be a FORUM RULE . as for me casting across that pond as soon as the peanut gallery chimed in and told me what I could and couldn't use for equipment I walked away from it otherwise id be game .
haha..no threat... Its serious.. I would ...ship you to Kenya. Lol

You better cast across that pond... I have a case of real beer riding on it.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
haha..no threat... Its serious.. I would ...ship you to Kenya. Lol

You better cast across that pond... I have a case of real beer riding on it.
Kenya do they got good fishing there . No I will not do it , Sure im being a cry baby about it , Anyone with a logical sence knows that your not going to cross across that pond with 6 lb untra light gear . Yes I woulda used my whoopin stick and my new TAKOTA .
Old 05-08-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Kenya do they got good fishing there . No I will not do it , Sure im being a cry baby about it , Anyone with a logical sence knows that your not going to cross across that pond with 6 lb untra light gear . Yes I woulda used my whoopin stick and my new TAKOTA .
Kenya has great trout fishing in the mountains. I would go if I were you
Old 05-08-2012, 05:25 PM

if you can't spend the better part of a day and not consume alcohol you may have a problem.

if you contemplate or knowingly break the law in order to consume alcohol you may have a problem.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
I'm going to look this up. I was always under the impression that having a beer on shore was fine (so long as it wasn't a provincial park or such).

In fact, it's always been my excuse for transporting un-opened beer. I am not drinking them in the boat, I am merely transporting them somewhere. (Then cracking one once the CO is out of sight)
You can have a beer or a drink on shore if it's private property. I am no legal expert by any stretch, but I think if you had a camp set up on shore, then you could. Otherwise I think they call it illegal possession of alcohol. The rules are a little on the extreme imho. If a guy wants to have a beer with his lunch, what's the harm? I don't get it.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:43 PM

Somebody better look up the definition of " container " in the Gaming and Liquor Act before they fill their cooler up / open any bottles or break up the packaging the liquor comes in.

Boat must be a "temporary residence" before open containers or consumption is allowed. Same applies to a Motorhome.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:43 PM

Default a beer

When it's hot I have a beer on my pontoon boat. I know I'm breaking the law but as long as the cops don't, one beer is not going to hurt anyone. I even pack my beer can out with me. I think the law is set up to keep people from getting drunk so I take my chances and have a beer. To bad the law and common sence are so far removed.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
When it's hot I have a beer on my pontoon boat. I know I'm breaking the law but as long as the cops don't, one beer is not going to hurt anyone. I even pack my beer can out with me. I think the law is set up to keep people from getting drunk so I take my chances and have a beer. To bad the law and common sence are so far removed.
Common sense ain't so common anymore....

LC
Old 05-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Banned

From Transport Canada Pleasure Craft Operator Requirements and Information

Boating while impaired is an offence under the Criminal Code. Convictions, even for a first offence, may result in heavy punishment. Penalties range from a minimum of $1000 to a ban from operating a vessel for up to three years. Operators with more than 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood are liable to the following fines (The maximum sentence may vary from province to province):
•1st offence: at least $1000 fine;
•2nd offence: at least 30 days of imprisonment; and
•3rd offence: at least 120 days of imprisonment.

Provinces and territories have rules that determine when alcohol can be consumed, or how it can be transported on a boat. In most provinces, alcohol may be consumed on board the vessel if it meets certain conditions, such as having:
•the vessel has permanent sleeping facilities;
•the vessel has permanent cooking facilities;
•the vessel has a permanent toilet; and
•the vessel is anchored or secured alongside a dock.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
anyone ran into this problem? Anyone know the rules? i hear the boat has to be anchored? or sleeping area?

thanks
The only "problem" you have is not waiting to get home for yer beer. There are counsellors for said problems. LOL!!!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:37 PM
pelada trochu

permanent stove is new to me.

thought it was always a toilet, permanent sleeping quarters and be at anchor.

course i have seen everyone drinking on their boats.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertslake View Post
Kenya has great trout fishing in the mountains. I would go if I were you
See BBJ? Time to start packing. LOL. Off to Kenya with ya.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post
Somebody better look up the definition of " container " in the Gaming and Liquor Act before they fill their cooler up / open any bottles or break up the packaging the liquor comes in.
Four beer is not open liquor, if the cans/bottles are not open...How would I walk to a neighbors house for a beer with 4 from my fridge in a grocery bag? I have to drive to the store, buy 6, put them in the trunk, and then head over? If you are driving with them, put them in the trunk/truck box..Opened wine would be considered open liquor, as the bottle is not sealed..
Old 05-09-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
if you can't spend the better part of a day and not consume alcohol you may have a problem.

if you contemplate or knowingly break the law in order to consume alcohol you may have a problem.
I'm the guy that buys a case of beer and it sometimes it gets skunky before I finish it. So I guess I have a problem with the law, I work hard and one beer is not going to kill anyone, the people with the problem are the people that can't have just one beer. And The B.S law about the rich man's boat, Please a vehicle is a vehicle. I guess people that own yatchs are better at resisting temptation and never ever operate thier huge boats and not even have one drink (or contribute to political organizations)wonder about that law. Please!!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Take water or a diet pop
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJ View Post
Or leave it back at the camper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
There is a time and a place for everything.
...Go fishing, enjoy the day..done for the day back at home, or camp, then enjoy the beer...
Old 05-09-2012, 11:10 AM

Yes you can have a beer on your boat, just don't get drunk and fall overboard. Also you'll want to steer clear of places with fish cops and all these nerds that say you can't.

There are nice secluded places away from the rule makers and ball busters to enjoy a beer and fishing, you just have to find them.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddddd05 View Post
yes you can have a beer on your boat you'll want to steer clear of places with fish cops and all these nerds that say you can't.

hahahahhahahahahaha boom!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunted View Post
"Seriously officer, the internet told me it was OK" I chose to ask the internet rather than to READ THE EASILY ACCESSABLE RULES AND REGULATIONS!! BWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA....
Old 05-09-2012, 03:01 PM

We got checked on Calling Lake having a lunch break on shore, the fish cop informed us that the only place we could drink was on my boat,lol.
I new this, but it was strange having a cop tell us to get back on the boat and start drinking.
Our boat is fully equipped for living onboard.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Diet pop? Is that code for Coors Light (training beer)?
I LOL'd
Old 05-09-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Yes it sucks that you can't even have one or two brew while enjoying the day but the problem is that many people can't stop and get carried away plus isnt water and boating dangerous enough?
The people who can have one or two shouldn't be penalized because some people can't stop before becoming impaired.

I wouldn't feel bad about having a beer or two out on the lake. It would not be hurting anyone at all.
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.