Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-22-2015, 01:25 PM

First thing I noticed in the first pic is the garbage full of crushed beer cans. We should hang out sometime
Nice work on the shack, love building projects like that
Old 10-22-2015, 02:54 PM

Nice!
Hope like others have said the weight wont be a burden, treated lumber can
be really heavy, new green is the worst, you may find it lightens up over the
summer next year if the treated was green when you got it.

Great work on it I can tell you've been putting some thought into this project.
Don't forget to think about the total weight with the foot print in respect to
varying ice thicknesses over the winter. Be safe, have fun.

Looking forward to reading and seeing the up coming pics. as your work develops.

Great post.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:19 AM

That looks pretty awesome! I would find a cheap 12v winch to load it with instead of a hand crank one, but I am pretty lazy lol. You can find cheap ones for under $200 for a decent size.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:44 PM

I found the perfect stove for my shack, now I just need to get one across the border. I decided I'll spend the money and get a proper camp stove, this one will be $522 US without customs charges but it comes with every option possible.

http://fourdog.com/two-dog-stove-dx/

Old 11-07-2015, 09:31 AM

Still not finished but another update with pictures. I'll have to convince my buddy to let me finish it in his shop as it no longer fits in my garage.

The floor passed Max's sniff test.

Sheeted in the outside of the benches.

Covered with 1/2" sanded plywood for now

Started framing up the roof with 2x3's

Interior of the door and roof framing, there are now roof studs every 2'

Couple sheets of OSB for the roof

Can almost see the roof framing in this shot.

Fatigue floor mat trimmed to fit

I'll spray glue it down and cut out the holes soon

Testing my loading process, it works but the shack's only getting heavier.

It's in the truck, now how do I get it out...?

Covered up in my backyard for another 2 weeks, sucks having to go back to work.

That's it for now again, really hoping to finish it next days off as the lakes are already starting to freeze.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:36 AM

looking good! maybe you could find an old boat trailer or flatdeck to haul it on instead of busting your back to get it in the truck. stove looks good I wouldnt mind one in my shack. another thing I found out from experience last winter is you might want to get a couple elbows and run your chimney outside, I had cement board and heavy galvanized behind my stove and was burning too many pallet boards (very high heat) and set the wood panelling behind the stove on fire even through the materials. makes for a bit of excitement on the lake I found the heavy elbows at Home Hardware and Campers village sells the whirleybird cap. modified the wind vane myself

If you do a lot of sight fishing you dont want the inside of the shack bright you want it dark so you can see down the hole better.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich

Last edited by WayneChristie; 11-07-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
looking good! maybe you could find an old boat trailer or flatdeck to haul it on instead of busting your back to get it in the truck.
I may end up looking into a trailer but hoping to stick with the truck. Loading it is easy with the hand winch mounted on the back. I just run the strap under the shack and hook to a chain in the box of my truck. As I crank the winch it lifts the shack up and into my truck. I just haven't worked out a nice system for unloading it without anchoring it to the ice and driving out from under it.

Quote:
another thing I found out from experience last winter is you might want to get a couple elbows and run your chimney outside, I had cement board and heavy galvanized behind my stove and was burning too many pallet boards (very high heat) and set the wood panelling behind the stove on fire even through the materials. makes for a bit of excitement on the lake I found the heavy elbows at Home Hardware and Campers village sells the whirleybird cap. modified the wind vane myself
So did it burn behind the stove or the chimney? Not sure how running the pipe outside would prevent the stove from burning the wood behind it.

Quote:
If you do a lot of sight fishing you dont want the inside of the shack bright you want it dark so you can see down the hole better.
I have a couple ideas to block out the light but not sure what I'll decide on yet. Any suggestions?

I'm also looking for good, cheap ideas on how to water proof the sides. So far I'm thinking a quality exterior paint with flashings on the corners but I'm open to suggestions.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post
I may end up looking into a trailer but hoping to stick with the truck. Loading it is easy with the hand winch mounted on the back. I just run the strap under the shack and hook to a chain in the box of my truck. As I crank the winch it lifts the shack up and into my truck. I just haven't worked out a nice system for unloading it without anchoring it to the ice and driving out from under it.

So did it burn behind the stove or the chimney? Not sure how running the pipe outside would prevent the stove from burning the wood behind it.

I have a couple ideas to block out the light but not sure what I'll decide on yet. Any suggestions?

I'm also looking for good, cheap ideas on how to water proof the sides. So far I'm thinking a quality exterior paint with flashings on the corners but I'm open to suggestions.
lit up the wall behind the stove. but being close to the outside wall in the trailer where it exited the roof the chimney was quite close to the wooden joist so I think it was just a matter of time before it caught fire also. better safe than stuck in a tent all winter
you could just hang heavy curtains over the windows and that would help with the warmth too.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-07-2015, 04:08 PM

I used a rubberized roofing paint from Home Hardware last year to patch a bunch of peeling roofs and walls around work, and it lasted excellent thru the winter. It provided a coat about 1/8 inch thick that's flexible and sticks like crazy. Cheap and easy to use. Only problem is outside temp while it cures.
Might work for you.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
lit up the wall behind the stove. but being close to the outside wall in the trailer where it exited the roof the chimney was quite close to the wooden joist so I think it was just a matter of time before it caught fire also. better safe than stuck in a tent all winter
you could just hang heavy curtains over the windows and that would help with the warmth too.
The stove has a baffle system to help hold heat inside which they say reduces the heat going through the pipe, also using a triple wall stove pipe where it goes through the roof. I'm planning on lining behind the stove with fire rated drywall and sheet metal. Thinking I'll cut some holes in the the outside OSB wall to let cold air in between that and the drywall, that should prevent any unexpected fires but I'll keep an eye on it to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyduck View Post
I used a rubberized roofing paint from Home Hardware last year to patch a bunch of peeling roofs and walls around work, and it lasted excellent thru the winter. It provided a coat about 1/8 inch thick that's flexible and sticks like crazy. Cheap and easy to use. Only problem is outside temp while it cures.
Might work for you.
I'll look into that for sure, sounds perfect. I think I'll have access to a roofing shop over the weekend so curing shouldn't be an issue. Thanks
Old 11-09-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
The stove has a baffle system to help hold heat inside which they say reduces the heat going through the pipe, also using a triple wall stove pipe where it goes through the roof. I'm planning on lining behind the stove with fire rated drywall and sheet metal. Thinking I'll cut some holes in the the outside OSB wall to let cold air in between that and the drywall, that should prevent any unexpected fires but I'll keep an eye on it to be sure.

I'll look into that for sure, sounds perfect. I think I'll have access to a roofing shop over the weekend so curing shouldn't be an issue. Thanks
Porch and patio paint might be a choice.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:57 PM

Default Nice work!!!

Sure is coming along nicely Rob, its going to be a real treat to fish in that unit!
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 11-27-2015, 06:19 AM

Well I finally finished the exterior of my shack, still need to customize the inside but that's a never ending project. Here's the last round of pictures before it hits the ice in 2 weeks.

Had to borrow my buddy's shop to finish as it no longer fits in the garage.

Synthetic roofing paper all around for waterproofing and stopping drafts.

Scored a great deal on siding from a hail insurance claim.

I kept forgetting to order my UHMW strips so I had to use some ingenuity to install them. Also put in the plexiglass strips for Windows but forgot to get pictures.

Scored some free metal roofing sheets and flashings, benefits of working in a roofers shop.

[img] http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...000242_HDR.jpg [/img]

Installed 30' of LED strip lights and a dimmer switch.

View of the lights from outside, they'll work just fine.

All loaded in the truck and waiting for ice

So it's pretty much done, I may decide to make the skids taller at some point but I'll try it out like this first. Thanks for following the thread, I had a blast building and sharing it. Hopefully it's inspired some of you to build one, it's not as hard as you think if you don't rush it. Cheers
Old 11-27-2015, 12:31 PM

So cool! Love it!
Old 11-27-2015, 02:11 PM

Looks Great, I've thought about doing a similar design in the past, your winch system certainly makes it more feasible. I like the LEDs on a dimmer switch, that will come in handy. Enjoy.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:58 PM
Banned

Default Far out!

You're a H3LL of a hand Lewis, doing a h3ll of a job.

Free
Old 11-27-2015, 05:16 PM

That will be a nice shack! You taking it to one lake and leaving it or you traveling around with it? I hope the siding stands up to the roads, but it should I guess the wind can blow pretty high sometimes.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:00 PM
Banned

WOW !!!
well done!!
Old 11-27-2015, 08:13 PM

Very nice..
What do you think the finished weight ?
Old 11-27-2015, 09:04 PM

Thanks guys, it was a great project and I had a good time designing and building it. I'm off work for 6 weeks during the holidays and will be fishing lots, if you guys recognize it on the lake drop in for a visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
You taking it to one lake and leaving it or you traveling around with it? I hope the siding stands up to the roads, but it should I guess the wind can blow pretty high sometimes.
Not sure yet, I was planning to move it around but it's a bit harder to load and unload than I'd hoped. On the drive home I hit 110 km/h to test it, only issue was the bottom pieces of siding on each side popped out of the J trim and lifted up like wings. A couple rubber washered screws will fix that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
What do you think the finished weight ?
I'm guessing about 650lbs, just based on a rough idea of what I think the materials weigh. I'll weigh the truck with and without the shack in it to know for sure before I put it on the ice.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:30 PM

It's a great shack. Nice work! I hope you have an isolated lake in mind after hearing about the shack theft and vandalism that has happened to guys in the past...or a high tech alarm system
Old 11-27-2015, 10:36 PM

You need to come up with a good Name for you're shed, then it's complete.

Or do you have one ?

Old 11-29-2015, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the kind words everyone, as for security I'll likely take it home with me for now until I get a feel for the lake. Eventually I'll probably leave it out but I'll either have it in view of my house or remove all valuables (including stove) and chain it to the ice before leaving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
You need to come up with a good Name for you're shed, then it's complete.

Or do you have one ?

That's a good point, I don't have a name yet but will put some thought into it. That's not the sort of thing you rush into, it'll have to be perfect.

Last edited by AdverseCity; 11-29-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words everyone, as for security I'll likely take it home with me for now until I get a feel for the lake. Eventually I'll probably leave it out but I'll either have it in view of my house or remove all valuables (including stove) and chain it to the ice before leaving.

That's a good point, I don't have a name yet but will put some thought into it. That's not the sort of thing you rush into, it'll have to be perfect.
Agreed ..... Purrrfect

Old 11-29-2015, 10:43 PM

Well done Rob. Let me know if your heading out this way, I'd stop in for a visit.

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."
Old 11-30-2015, 11:05 AM

That's a sweet looking fishing shack and look forward to seeing pic's of the first fish caught and fish fry in it.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:51 PM

Great job ...... if I see your shack on a local lake I will be sure to stop by, say hi and have a closer look. Looks great. Enjoyed the thread.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:16 PM

Look back next spring and see what you have done.
Like looking forward to seeing it come full circle, only in reverse.

When I was in like 8th grade I used to spend dead of winter time tying
flys for spring fishing opener.

It's kind of like a ritual getting ready, building stuff etc.

I don't know if it was the restlessness of youth, boredom of winter or
just the need to be creative.

But it was there, kept me up at night, just the same.
Just as you have done, to follow an idea and see where it would go.

Yes sink or float whatever the outcome in the end, yes you should
give her a name. Like they would a sailing ship.

Last edited by Bonescreek; 11-30-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
Well done Rob. Let me know if your heading out this way, I'd stop in for a visit.
Clay, you were more than generous to me with the round of sporting clays from the PIF thread. I'd be honored to head out fishing with you for a day sometime this winter, we'll stay in touch and meet up for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Great job ...... if I see your shack on a local lake I will be sure to stop by, say hi and have a closer look. Looks great. Enjoyed the thread.
Definitely, any AO members who recognize it and see smoke coming out of the stack are more than welcome to drop in for a chat and a beverage. I just bought a house on a southern lake but will post when I head up north, I'm likely making a Cold Lake trip as well as the yearly Pigeon Lake weekend.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:50 PM

[/QUOTE] Definitely, any AO members who recognize it and see smoke coming out of the stack are more than welcome to drop in for a chat and a beverage. I just bought a house on a southern lake but will post when I head up north, I'm likely making a Cold Lake trip as well as the yearly Pigeon Lake weekend.[/QUOTE]

I'll definitely be going to pigeon this winter. I'll let you know when I'm up there for sure. Hopefully the dates coincide.

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."