Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Banned

Good to hear you guys had some success fisher,, a tub full of Hali is always good, even better when its in the pan..

Quote:
Fishing with family is good, catching with a guide is better.
You are right,, catching fish with family is good not to sure about the guide part,, it's much more rewarding to do it on your own and a guy gets to buy that many more toys which is always fun lolol..
Old 06-25-2009, 09:39 AM

Heading to the Charolettes 8th of August for 2 weeks. This will trip #5 for me.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:32 AM

Default last years big one

Here is the one I got last year with Dave, 43 pounder.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-25-2009, 04:12 PM

Walleyes I have fished sooke, renfrew, pedder bay with a cousin who guides and with my own boat. It is an easy area to learn compared to Rupert. But you are right that first chinook in your own boat will always be remembered.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher Gord View Post
Walleyes I have fished sooke, renfrew, pedder bay with a cousin who guides and with my own boat. It is an easy area to learn compared to Rupert. But you are right that first chinook in your own boat will always be remembered.

Yah I like Sooke its one of my favorite places on the coast we have been going out there for the last 10 years or so now with the last 6 years in a row. I have fished a few of the spots up and down the Island like Camble River ( in the good days ) Port Mcneil, Port Hardy, Nootka, & Prince Rupert. But Sooke is definitely my favorite hole its just so convenient and if you time it rite the fishing is as good as you can have it just about any where's.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermuley View Post
Here is the one I got last year with Dave, 43 pounder.
[IMG][/IMG]
That is a great picture!! I don't have that angle! By any chance could you email it to me?? I like that angle more than the one of you with it on our site! canucksfanatic44@hotmail.com if you could. That would be awesome Brian, thanks!
Old 06-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss44 View Post
That is a great picture!! I don't have that angle! By any chance could you email it to me?? I like that angle more than the one of you with it on our site! canucksfanatic44@hotmail.com if you could. That would be awesome Brian, thanks!
GREAT FISH!!!

But what the H.E.L.L is the Islander doing on the floor?????? Thats pure gold you guys have just kicking around.. (Okay BLUE) but still obviously you need another hand on that boat

Jamie
Old 06-26-2009, 07:55 AM

Default Skeena

Anyone going up to terrace and fishing the skeena soon?Do you think its too early to go up there.I plan on leaving on the 1st of july.What do you fellas think.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bit Runner. View Post
Anyone going up to terrace and fishing the skeena soon?Do you think its too early to go up there.I plan on leaving on the 1st of july.What do you fellas think.
I'm heading over there around the 17th for a few days. I've never been to that area so I'm no expert but from what I understand at least one of the rivers should be good while you are there. July is supposedly the best month for Chinooks on the Skeena so you may be hitting it just right. In June and possibly early July, the water can sometimes be pretty high and dirty so the fishing can be tough (this depends largely on the weather etc.) but if that is the case the Kitimat is usually at it's peak from mid to late June so you might want to try it out. The Kalum is another fantastic river. I'd go into one of the tackle shops when you get into Terrace and ask them. I can't wait to get there man. You'll have to let us know how you do. I'm trying to soak up every bit of information I can get on fishing salmon around there so I definitely look forward to hearing how it goes for you. Good luck.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:50 PM

Default Skeena

Thanks ill need it,I see the river is 7m high right now where we are going,i sure hope it starts to come down.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:14 AM

Default Fishing

Got back the other day from Masset.
Met up with Scott H off the forum here just before he headed home, then met a few guys off of the B.C sportfishing forum, all good guys with lots of helpfull info.

Lots of fish around just couldn't find any size. Biggest Spring was 22lbs, LOTS in the 14lb range. Caught a few white meat Springs as well.

Quite a few Coho around also, pretty early for them. So didn't get anything bigger than 9lbs.

Seen a few nice Spring's come into the cleaning table, a couple over 35lbs.

Lots of Halibut, no big ones though. Made the 50 mile run over to Langara, of course the wind had to pick up about the same time we arrived. Tried a few spots on the East side of the Island, picked up a bunch of small Red Snapper. Tried over on the West side, Pretty Ugly. Had planned on spending the night but decided to make the run back in case it got worse by morning.

Left the boat over @ Sand Spit to get some work done on it, might try around there in late July or early August.

Took a look around the Marina @ Cow Bay in Rupert on the way home, seen a few nice fish in there.

Hunt & Fish, and Bit runner, the rivers are running pretty high and muddy but should be cleared up by July I would think.

We stopped @ Moricetown for a look, couldn't see a thing.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Banned

Good report thx rigg dogg. Its good to hear you guys got into a few.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:53 AM

Default Skeena Salmon

The river is high an dirty now, was pretty good a while back.
Will be going back in first week of July.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0065.JPG (155.0 KB, 76 views)
Old 06-27-2009, 10:59 AM

Thumbs up Wow

Welcome to the fourm,look forward to more pics like that.Congrats on a monster fish.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Banned

It's been a long go waiting for this trip.
We leave in 9 hours or so.

I am just waiting on the dryer to finish packing.
Dads new reel is loaded up with line. But curriously they didnt put any backing on it.. Should that matter?? If so, we will strip it off and get it Re loaded in PR.

Only 8 of us are going and we will have the lodge to ourselfs, one of the fellows backed out this week due to sickness. Very unselfish of him. He was worried that he would end up getting sick and ruin the trip for the rest of us.

So 8 guys 3 Boats 4 days. It should be 2 guys per boat for once or twice during the trip. SOunds like the fish are there and the weather looks ok.
Unfortunatly we are stuck in Rupert till mid afternoon.. I hate that part.

Pics when I get back!!

Jamie
Old 06-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Banned

Good luck to you guys Jamie. I know how stoked you are about this trip so I hope you guys have a blast but most importantly,, be safe man..
Old 06-28-2009, 08:37 PM

Default Fishing

Hey Walleye's, one of these trips the report is going to include a pic of a 40lber and I don't mean Vodka.

Hey Jamie all the guys I have seen with MR-2's had backing on them, I am not sure what the reasoning behind it is. But I did hear one guy mention that it could spread your reel apart.

My MR-3's state that they don't need backing, I do know that the MR-3 has a larger arbour then the 2's. They worked PURRRRRFECT on this last trip.

Kill the afternoon in Rupert @ Breaker's pub going through the Martini list

Good Luck on your trip!
Old 06-28-2009, 09:11 PM

I'm headed to Port Renfrew on Aug 10 for 3 days of fishing. Did well for numbers last year but not much for size. Hope things change for the better this year.

For you Salmon guys I have a few questions.
For the Renfrew areas what is the best time to be there? I figured second week in Aug would be best with lots of Coho around and by then they should have a chance to be a good size.

What is are the better areas to fish for numbers and size? Does it really matter much?
Old 06-28-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagencounter View Post
Kalum if you want the giants ive seen 100lb plus taken several times about 3km up from the bridge. Most of us that grew up there have never fished from a boat and always catch lots of big salmon.
That's a tad far-fetched, even for a fish tale...
Old 06-28-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagencounter View Post
Im heading to terrace june 25-july 12 hitting the skeena, lakelse, copper, kitamat and kalum trying to beat my records 82lb chinook out of the kalum and 26lb steely out of the copper, my dad got a 30lb steely last aug at china bar. Im pumped went there last oct and got 22lb coho and the wife first timer 18lb coho she didnt even know how to reel yet lol. As long as i live ill return there just like the salmon . Best place on earth for fishing. Hopefully we will hit work channel for some crab codd snapper and halibut. My cousin a girl pulled a 425lb hally her first time on a charter out of prince rupert last summer man was i jealous lol but happy for her too. With the enhanced fish protection and regulations on commercial and native fisheries the fishing there is better than its been in 20 years and yes i fished it every year during that time. Anyone else heading there around that time let me know i grew up there and know all the hotspots. You buy some beer and share some stories and ill save you the coin you would waste paying a guide. Jamie you must like wasting money lol guides are for fools there lol. If you cant catch a 30lb fish from shore around terrace you not fishing lol.
WOW that's amazing considering the BC record Hali stands at 320 Lbs caught at Langara....and all those 100 lb + springs is exceptional as well considering the world record spring stands at 97 lbs caught in Alaska, I love a good fish story just like the next guy but.....
Old 06-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I'm headed to Port Renfrew on Aug 10 for 3 days of fishing. Did well for numbers last year but not much for size. Hope things change for the better this year.

For you Salmon guys I have a few questions.
For the Renfrew areas what is the best time to be there? I figured second week in Aug would be best with lots of Coho around and by then they should have a chance to be a good size.

What is are the better areas to fish for numbers and size? Does it really matter much?

Nube;

You should be right in the thick of things in Renfrew that time of year for both Coho and some nice Chinook. Don't let last year be a referance it was a poor year up and down the coast,, just one of those years. As far as better areas, again it all depends on timing and honestly you are going to be there at prime time there will not be a better place to be I almost garantee it.

You are going to have a blast..
Old 06-29-2009, 10:08 PM

Weather has been ****...but we have still found lots of fish it has just been bumpier and a bit harder on the back!! Here are some pics from the past couple days...

Bugger almost broke my finger

32lbs

34lbs

24lbs

HE CAUGHT THESE 30MIN APART (The 24 was caught in between these)...33lbs and 32lbs

Ever since June 20th, we have caught AT LEAST one over 30lbs a day...big fish this year guys...for this time of the year they should be avg 20lbs...but so far are avg 27lbs at least...lots of feed everywhere around this area...could be a reason for it.

David
Old 06-29-2009, 10:39 PM

More great fishing counting down the days now....how much did the Hali weigh ?.....PS your shirt and hat are GROSS......
Old 06-29-2009, 10:58 PM

I'm going to wear those just for you when you are out!! Hali weighed 80lbs...caught on salmon gear....pretty sure I've become the big hali's on salmon gear king lol
Old 06-30-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss44 View Post
I'm going to wear those just for you when you are out!! Hali weighed 80lbs...caught on salmon gear....pretty sure I've become the big hali's on salmon gear king lol

i agree dave get a new shirt, ur luck will be alot better.

remember that hali last year dave that the guy caught on salmon gear what a monster, heres a picture of it, 177 pounder.

The boys are pumped about coming out this year again.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:50 AM

Nube the best time for coho at renfrew is sept, and that is usually when the biggest chinook are caught also. they have a coho derby usually around 20lbs win, island outfitters year long salmon derby winner usually comes from renfrew end of aug. begining of sept. 2nd week of Aug does have some big smilies in the port renfrew marina fishing archives, Good luck
Old 06-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Banned

How much do those coho grow in a month? what size in the first week or 2 in August can a guy expect to catch? I would love to do a trip like this some time.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:27 PM

Just finalized up our oil companies group trips to the Queen Charlottes. June 8-12, 2010 and Aug 31-Sept 4, 2010.

I have 8 spots left for June 8-12, 2010 and as organizer I can now invite others to take advantage of our deal.

It comes with a great derby built in, direct charter flight to Masset from Calgary etc. etc. etc.

PM me if interested.

Cheers

Sun
Old 06-30-2009, 07:37 PM

Very nice fish Dave. What are you using for gear, spoons, plugs, or bait?

Kevin
Blue Sky Outfitting
Old 06-30-2009, 09:08 PM

Bait Kevin...anchovies! Nothing else comes close to out fishing them!!