Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-30-2009, 10:00 PM

Well guys...I'm not sure what to say other than I was close to making another Epic Day Thread but I'm starting to think if I do that there will be a new epic salmon fishing thread every day!!

Today we limited out..8 CHINOOK!, 4 Coho, 6 Rockfish, and 1 big ol' hali!! IT ONLY TOOK US 2 1/2 HRS TO CATCH THE SALMON!!! The weather then blew up and we had to leave or else we would of caught and released to our arms dismay!! I KNOW there is not better fishing on the coast than right where we are...summer to remember gentlemen!! Summer to remember!

HERE ARE SOME PICS...

Old 07-01-2009, 11:37 PM

Limited out once again today...first pass HIT 5 CHINOOK! just didn't get any hooks into any of them :P However, it didn't take much longer after that to get the rest in. limited out by 10:30AM once again...ridiculous fishing Pics to follow...
Old 07-02-2009, 02:32 PM

Irish Girl...Nice

These were hard to hold at the same time...

The 4 that didn't go to the smokery...
Old 07-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Banned

What a TRIP!!!

Tons and TONS of fish, we released many many more than what we kept.

Final tallies look like this
1 48#er
3 in the 30# range
1 12# coho.

Limits with the rest Over 500 pounds of fish in 3 days.

We fished Dundas and Edie

Lots of Coho around Holiday. Bait balls that will make your whole screen go red.
We used Herring and when that shut down we switched to plugs and spinners. That did the trick.

My Bro caught a 15 pound Yellow eye. 2 Halis in the mid 20's But we didn’t spend much time with that end of things.

And still I haven’t busted the 30# mark. My guide thought I did for about 5 hours.. The scale told a different story.
Lots of laughs, unfortunately I can not give the same report for our lodge owner. We made the best of a horrible situation and when it became unbearable we left early.

Hats off to Dollys (Fish packer) That Charmaine really knows how to take care of customers. She was a real class act and should be named Mayor of that town. Quality person for sure!

Pics when I find the Cam.

Jamie

BTW the new Islander was worth every penny.
BTW no matter what your "Outfitter tells you.. Do not park in the yacht club parking lot. The good folks over there will have the tow truck on you ASAP and then that friendly fellow will charge you $60 just to get his truck out of the way. Nice Tourism idea. Makes me want to run right back. Oh well as a group we still had lots of laughs and that’s all that really counts.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Banned

Right on Jamie glad to hear that you guys made it back safe and good to hear that you got into the fish..

Can't wait to see the pics..

So whats the story with the lodge owner ??
Old 07-05-2009, 10:56 AM

Awesome to hear you had a good trip Jamie!!!! I'm interested about this story about the lodge owner too! Those fish will be down here in Aug...so good to see that they are coming strong...as all reports from the Charlottes suggest July will be awesome too....this season looks to be one of the best in recent memory

Was out yesterday (well deserved day off today...got some zzz's) and limited out once again...that makes it 7 days in a row of limits now on Chinook. Some reallll nice Snapper in there too. Limited on hali's as well. Was drifting real heavy for the Snapper..otherwise would of limited on those too I'm sure.

One of the boats also limited on Coho....Therefore one boat completely limited out on everything they tried for (they didn't head out for snapper) and the other did almost as much. Fishing is unreal. Smallest Spring yesterday was 16lbs...out of the limit caught, only 3 were below 20lbs, 2 over 30lbs. Including one real nice hog (pretty easy to spot in the pictures of all the fish (on right hand side). Great day once again...it seems to be never ending. And the BIG BOYS (aka over 40lbs fish) shuold starting showing up within the next week.

David

Here are some pics of last 2 days:

DAY 2!

Old 07-05-2009, 12:19 PM

my son and i are heading to bamfield for the 3rd year in a row going out the last week of aug we rent a boat from seabeam charters havent landed anything real big but its always fun
Old 07-06-2009, 08:07 PM

Well...this is now the 8th day in a row we have limited out on Chinook! Today we limited out BY 8:15AM!!! 6 CHINOOK BY 8:15AM!!! We started fishing at 6:45am...so in an hr and a half we nailed these plus lost a few and missed hooking another. As one of my guests said today, "the only problem with the day was that our guide couldn't get two rods in the water, geeze...but it was because of fish hitting non stop, so I guess I'll let it pass" haha 2 Chinook under 20lbs (17 and 19), plus a 21, 23, and two hogsssss well over 30lbs.

After that went out to some secret pinnacles (salmon spot also fairly secret which is nice...only 2 boats there), and limited out on Red Snapper (Yelloweye) and then hit the chicken coup and limited out on halibut in 8 minutes...all between 16 and 30lbs. One of the guys was sick so we decided to head er in instead of nailing some lings. Great day...great fishing, nice and calm for a change...and the salmon fishing is UNREAL...gotta love life guys! Jamie...pics from your trip man..pics!! Plus that story! lol

David

HE CAN'T LIFT THEM haha Larry caught both hogs!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Banned

Well, lets just hope all those fish we sent back make their way down to Hakai pass by the 17 of July. Perhaps that will be where I will find my 30#er

I know I am hitting the right places as every year I see monsters and pigs being brought in to the boat.. Just not my turn YET!!!

Looks like your company is having a fantstic season.

As for the story, well that will have to wait till I am done with my discusions.

Pics are here on my comp, I just have to find some time to put them up.
As one final kick in the nads.. "Apparently" the guide who took the pics of the 48#er has "Lost" his camera..........

Ever seen a 15# Yellow Eye?
Jamie
Old 07-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Banned

Well, this is ticking me off, no matter what I do I cant get them over from Photo Bucket..
Anyone want to help?

Jamie
Old 07-06-2009, 10:04 PM

Talking Wow! Celebrity fishermen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss44 View Post
Well...this is now the 8th day in a row we have limited out on Chinook! Today we limited out BY 8:15AM!!! 6 CHINOOK BY 8:15AM!!! We started fishing at 6:45am...so in an hr and a half we nailed these plus lost a few and missed hooking another. As one of my guests said today, "the only problem with the day was that our guide couldn't get two rods in the water, geeze...but it was because of fish hitting non stop, so I guess I'll let it pass" haha 2 Chinook under 20lbs (17 and 19), plus a 21, 23, and two hogsssss well over 30lbs.

After that went out to some secret pinnacles (salmon spot also fairly secret which is nice...only 2 boats there), and limited out on Red Snapper (Yelloweye) and then hit the chicken coup and limited out on halibut in 8 minutes...all between 16 and 30lbs. One of the guys was sick so we decided to head er in instead of nailing some lings. Great day...great fishing, nice and calm for a change...and the salmon fishing is UNREAL...gotta love life guys! Jamie...pics from your trip man..pics!! Plus that story! lol

David

HE CAN'T LIFT THEM haha Larry caught both hogs!

Okay, I recognize Kenny Rogers & Eddie Shack; who's the guy in the middle?
Old 07-07-2009, 12:32 AM
Banned

DSS.. What is the deal on fishing Salt Water for kids in BC? (Licenses)

I was thinking next summer about taking the whole family.

Thanks
Jamie

Last edited by Jamie; 07-07-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Ever seen a 15# Yellow Eye?
Jamie
Yep I belive this one went 17-19 lbs
Old 07-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Banned

Mike.. What a PIG!!!

Nice fish.

Jamie
Old 07-07-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
DSS.. What is the deal on fishing Salt Water for kids in BC? (Licenses)

I was thinking next summer about taking the whole family.

Thanks
Jamie
I know kids under the age of 16 get free licenses...but still have to pay for the salmon stamp...so pretty cheap as it is free for an annual. How old are your kids Jamie?
Old 07-08-2009, 04:02 PM

Well the countdown has begun, 73 hrs until we start heading west to the coast, and only one more day of work.................woohoo !!!!!!!!

Just gotta finish the packing....
Old 07-08-2009, 09:18 PM

Here's a few from my past....can't wait till this year.....
035[1].JPG
I love this...
038[1].JPG
You boys are making me jealous
Old 07-08-2009, 10:49 PM

Fishing the past 2 days has been just as good as over the past 2 weeks...limited out both days with 6 Chinook as well as some Coho's thrown in the bunch plus limits of Chicken halibut (15-25lbs). Most Chinook are in the 21-25lbs range...all twins pretty much but holy crap are they spunky...fight like nuts and like much bigger fish. Today largest was 28lbs! Nice fish! Here are some pics...

Calgary Boys

Old 07-09-2009, 08:19 AM

Default Rupert 09

Here is the wifes fish from our June trip to Rupert,
and yes the bugs are bad at Dundas.
Fishing was good lots of small Coho to 10 lbs.
This was the biggest spring the other 4 springs were under 25 lbs.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:07 AM

Going to be in Terrace on the 16th doing the river thing again for a week or so! Be in the Outlaw Lynx 16' with a black top staying at the Wild Duck! Be trying bar fishing and some back trolling.

Looking forward to getting away from the grindstone!
Old 07-09-2009, 05:01 PM

Typically what month is the best month to go? How big are the coho by the 2nd week in August?

fun , fun, fun
Old 07-09-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
Here's a few from my past....can't wait till this year.....
Attachment 13336
I love this...
Attachment 13337
You boys are making me jealous
Outcast it looks like you were off the mouth of the Qualicum river
Old 07-12-2009, 01:33 PM

Default Back From The Skeena

Well, Spent 6 days fishing on the skenna,The fishing was ok the first 2 days but the last 4 days was pretty slow.A big storm come through Smithers,The bulkley came up a meter,looked like choclate milk.It just totally stopped for 3 days.Heres a few pics of my camping trip and a couple pics of salmon we caught.

This Is the view from my tent every morning

Here are the falls that were a 5 min boat ride from camp.

Heres a few pics of some Salmon i caught as well as a few nice ones a freind caught.
My First 30 lb Salmon
Heres a couple pics of a 45lb and a 47 lb

I cant wait till next year.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:32 AM

Default Which Area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Typically what month is the best month to go? How big are the coho by the 2nd week in August?

fun , fun, fun
We head to BC every summer, Northern BC I think the large runs of chinook are around until the middle of July, than the coho fishing heats up in Aug.
Around the Island I have had my best luck for chinook the last 2 weeks of Aug. thats also when we have caught large coho 20 lbs +.
The QCI seem to be good from June until Aug for chinook. but I have only fished the west side of the Islands
Old 07-13-2009, 08:27 AM

Big congrats on some great fish BitRunner. PM sent.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:00 AM

Yes Sir Beautiful scenery, Great fish, could it get any better than that, NOT...thanks for posting......
Old 07-13-2009, 10:12 AM

Default 24 hrs

24 hrs until flight to rivers inlet, gonna catch sum critters
Old 07-13-2009, 10:45 AM

Good Luck Jaymie, may the fish Gods smile down upon you guys....
Old 07-13-2009, 11:22 AM

Few pictures of a 52 pound chinook caught near Prince Rupert, took over an hour to get him in and around the boat countless times, yea walk arounds

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tmile View Post
24 hrs until flight to rivers inlet, gonna catch sum critters

This is what you need to dream of. Can you imagine a 80# Salmon. OMG
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...yndication=rss

Make sure you also check "Whale" Rock. It forms a eddy as the tide goes in or out. Fish the correct side and you might just end up with a Taxi Bill.

Whale rock is on your right hand side just before OBMG's lodge that is across from Marker 16.
Here is a pic of the fish we woke up and the next boat behind us caught. (My buddy ran the boat directly into whale rock and woke this fish up. His last words before pilling into the rock were "Hey Jamie, look at the pretty red sail boat (CRASH)"
http://www.kingsalmonresort.com/
Its the main pic with the Guy and Gal that have the cut off shirt sleeves, nice people!!

Another place is the "Slide" also close to OBMG lodge.

Good luck, and don’t get discouraged. Your bites may be few and far in-between. But this is the place to catch a HOG!!! Keep your trolling dead slow (About 1.4 Knots). You do not want that line above 45 degrees.

Jamie

Last edited by Jamie; 07-13-2009 at 06:27 PM.