Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-04-2011, 07:47 AM

The East end. Just a bit West of Canyon Creek
Old 01-08-2012, 10:16 PM

Default sad

i think who ever is doing that they should be fine just like any other person would if they were doing that .that is just a waste and crule thats my thought and i think the fish and wildlife should look into it some more.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher22 View Post
i think who ever is doing that they should be fine just like any other person would if they were doing that .that is just a waste and crule thats my thought and i think the fish and wildlife should look into it some more.
The fish and wildlife are there when they net
Old 01-08-2012, 10:40 PM

Thumbs down

Crazy, you kidding me, that is sick, why waste fish and feed the gulls, there are all ready to many gulls around in the first place, secondly why?? what is the point of this?? seriously, people have a choice to think and do, but this is not thinking, very sad to see indeed.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:00 PM

Why wouldn't the commercial guys at least dump these fish back through the hole in the ice?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:14 PM

What a terrible waste.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:28 PM

This thread was started almost 2 years ago.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:35 PM
pelada trochu

Why dont we lobby to ban commercial fishing?

Whether eaten or wasted, the result is the same. All the fish are GONE!!!

The only fish that should be commercially caught are the ones that are farmed.

Thanks for pointing out that the thread is old. Whats up with that???
Old 01-08-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
This thread was started almost 2 years ago.
x2, it's great to keep putting up preasure on the issue and not let this thread die out.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Banned

Cool

ok a few points this is called bye catch. fish not intended for market this happens in all net based fishing and has for years.I have seen similar sights on pigeon lake not as bad as the posted pic. if you stop the bye catch you stop the fishery. as an angler this is a travesty. but will it make the news, sorry , probably not in our part of the world. what I find absurd is that every angler in alberta is not protesting these fisheries. when I seen a similar thing on piegon my verbal protest was laughed off it was there right to do this? ? my father taught me right from wrong maybe these men had no fathers.this is happening on every comercial fishery on earth. makes you think. and dont tell me there is no market kootaney lakes burbot were wiped out to sell in the late 80s. burbot have a unique life cycle you would need to research this your self. they feed every lake they occupy. what are we going to do about this. remember to completly stop bye catch you basically have to close all comercial fishing and in this part of the world I really dont see that as going to happen soon. when fish become a tourism draw the become worth millions but millions of people dont want to see drilling rigs or lease sights. I live in olds an old history filled town not one tourists bus in 8 yrs. funny they all go where they are supposed to go banff. to spend there $ on s*** I believe pink floyd say it best welcome to the machine!!
Old 01-09-2012, 01:50 AM

I'd be tempted to cut the nets up... take a 'slice' out of their operation...
Old 01-09-2012, 02:27 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
I'd be tempted to cut the nets up... take a 'slice' out of their operation...
I am sure you have good intention at heart but this is a bad idea it is there right but not yous to stop them pm the horse trader has a passion for peoples rights eh big guy. no matter if every body around you is doing the same thing that does not make it right a true man stands against the tide .and if you got caught they wont call the cops .
Old 01-09-2012, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
I am sure you have good intention at heart but this is a bad idea it is there right but not yous to stop them pm the horse trader has a passion for peoples rights eh big guy. no matter if every body around you is doing the same thing that does not make it right a true man stands against the tide .and if you got caught they wont call the cops .
Ya what ever (a true man knows when to ignore those who know nothing)
Old 01-09-2012, 09:03 AM
Banned

Theyre burbot, disgusting creatures pretty well only good for bear bait. Oh and BGSH, do some research on Gulls, they're not all over populated, in fact many gulls are an at-risk species, thats why we cant shoot them like we can crows and magpies.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish farmer View Post
Theyre burbot, disgusting creatures pretty well only good for bear bait. Oh and BGSH, do some research on Gulls, they're not all over populated, in fact many gulls are an at-risk species, thats why we cant shoot them like we can crows and magpies.
What? Have you ever eaten one?

Ugly, no question.

Hard to skin, yup.

But once you get past the upchuck factor, they have beautiful white meat, that approaches lobster quality when cooked.

Trouble is, the fish is 30% head, 50% guts, but the rest is the good stuff.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:02 AM

I've seen this before. This has been going on for years. Makes me sick.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:06 AM

Not any uglier than a catfish, and easier to skin. I can't see why the meat is so highly rated, but my whole family does.
I still don't undestand why burbot should be treated any different than any other game fish, I assume they have other "by catch" walleyes, pike they wouldn't just let it rot on ice. Is there a limit on how much they can "by catch" the burbot?
Old 01-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
What? Have you ever eaten one?

Ugly, no question.

Hard to skin, yup.

But once you get past the upchuck factor, they have beautiful white meat, that approaches lobster quality when cooked.

Trouble is, the fish is 30% head, 50% guts, but the rest is the good stuff.
I will gladly let everyone else target them same as whitefish. Keeps more walleye and perch in the lakes for me.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
Not any uglier than a catfish, and easier to skin. I can't see why the meat is so highly rated, but my whole family does.
I still don't undestand why burbot should be treated any different than any other game fish, I assume they have other "by catch" walleyes, pike they wouldn't just let it rot on ice. Is there a limit on how much they can "by catch" the burbot?
There just is no commercial market for them(not sure why). They are currently not considered a "game fish" so it is different when it come to by catch for walleye/pike.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Foss View Post
There just is no commercial market for them(not sure why). They are currently not considered a "game fish" so it is different when it come to by catch for walleye/pike.
I was pretty sure they were listed as a game fish in Alberta a few years back (when you started seeing limits for them in the fishing regulations.)
Old 01-09-2012, 11:03 AM

I went pike fishing at Last Mountain Lake, don`t know why we were not targetting walleye. Anyhoo, we had a nice place to ice fish on blizzardy day, and caught four of these ugly buggers. Well I cut them up and they were average for taste at best, could not stand the consistancy of the meat though. I`ve had lobster straight outta the Ocean, and I don`t agree with the comparison, granted I need to have a few more feeds maybe.

Anyways the waste is wrong, bugs the heck outta me. I don`t imagine guys who commercially fish generally are that dumn to leave such a mess. I don`t condone the cutting of the nets, don`t agree with that approach. It would not surprise me if they get that at some point. Unfortunately gives commercial fisherman a bad name.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I was pretty sure they were listed as a game fish in Alberta a few years back (when you started seeing limits for them in the fishing regulations.)
Ya but I still dont think it is officially recognized as a game fish by the government.

For anyone who is interested, this is the particular regulation from page 19 of the regs book:

Additional Restrictions:
 The edible flesh of legally kept game fish must not be wasted,
destroyed, spoiled or abandoned (this does not apply to burbot).
Old 01-09-2012, 12:03 PM

Default Found dead wildlife permit????

I am stuck at the office, or I would give this a whirl. CALL UP SRD and advise that you want a Found Dead Wildlife Permit for the Burbot left on the ice. This is available for deer, etc. I wonder what the reply would be? If you say I want to take 50 burbs for friends and family, rather than leave pollution on the ice, what could they possibly say?

Drewski
Old 01-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
I am stuck at the office, or I would give this a whirl. CALL UP SRD and advise that you want a Found Dead Wildlife Permit for the Burbot left on the ice. This is available for deer, etc. I wonder what the reply would be? If you say I want to take 50 burbs for friends and family, rather than leave pollution on the ice, what could they possibly say?

Drewski
I don't think that will work they were on the ice last year I think their gone now lol
Old 01-09-2012, 01:27 PM

I was thinking the same thing .....show up when they are abandoning them / checking there nets and cashin on 30 or so burbot for the freezer!!
Old 01-09-2012, 01:43 PM

Not shure why people think these fish are so ugly. Since i was a kid i can remember fishing for these in dief and always thought they were the coolest fish, Never did i think id catch the mother of them all. lol.
Dug up a length of the W/R back in 2010. Cant believe the girth of her. What a TANK. Now im itching to get a crack at another beast.
Thought id share this pic, havent ever shown it to anyone except IGFA.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Banned

what eventually happens with those record fish?
Old 01-09-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
what eventually happens with those record fish?
If you mean the WR burbot and WR rainbow.
the WR rainbow got sent to California to get weighed and tested, then got mounted there.
the WR burbot got sent to Toronto for the same, and then sent to Advanced Taxidermy in toronto as we speak still getting a fiberglass replica made. I cant wait for Burbot mount. They said the burbot mount should be ready march sometime. Cross my fingers.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:12 PM

A few years back Advanced did a replica mount of a pacific Spring Salmon for me it turned out great......they do wicked work ....please post pics when you get the mount back!!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:44 PM

Glad to see this thread is back. Sad that the issue remains.

It's time for a Burbot Fishing Tournament.

PCR might be a good place, lots of fisherpeople, and close to Major Media.

Picture this.

Media coverage of 300 recreational fisherpeople catching thousands of Burbot, with all the fish being piled together, and left to rot.

The story explaining the issue and accompanying photos would finally get the Province's attention.

Previously posted?

The problem lies with the Fish Processing monopoly, not the commercial fisherman.

" I am a commercial fisher, Wasting Burbot."

Quote:
I am a commercial fisher, those were not my nets. At present there is no market for burbot as we are forced to sell our commercial catch to the Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation and they refuse to buy burbot. We do whatever we can to give these fish away to whoever would like to take them, unfortunately we are not always able to find people who want them. This particular season has a zone that makes it especially difficult to avoid the burbot and still catch the targetted whitefish. There is a commercial quota on the burbot that is never reached as we are usually very good at avoiding this species. As commercial fishers we would like to see anglers keep as many burbot as they can catch. These burbot are extreme predators that are very adept at feeding upon walleye. We have dressed spring burbot and found as many as 60 walleye fingerlings in the belly of one burbot. In our commercial nets we can catch many whitefish with the very odd walleye, the walleye are usually no good as they have spent the night in the belly of a burbot and are partially digested. As for changing the law it would prevent people from seeing the wasted fish but these fish are being eaten by birds coyotees and the like, if the were hauled off of the lake they would needlessly fill our local landfills and truly be waisted. No easy solution here but please know that it is never the intention of a commercial fisher to waste fish.

Most groups that buy commercially caught fish are aware that we have no market for this species, they are also aware that burbot are not good keepers.

We are always looking for markets for this species and we have found markets but the F.F.M.C. has refused to allow us to sell into those markets.

The act that governs the sale of commercially caught fish does not allow us to sell for resale unless they are being sold to the F.F.M.C.

Perhaps we should use this forum to tell people when we will be fishing on lakes that are apt to have a high by-catch of burbot. anyone wanting these fish need only to talk to a fisher, most of us would be happy to give permission and reciepts for as many pounds as anyone would want.

Our next commercial season will be on L.S.L. this spring and I am always happy to take a sports fisher along to show how we do things. As for the burbot caught in our nets there is no limit to the amount that I can give to you. You would probably enjoy the experience and you would find that we are a responsible group who do our best to conserve the resourse and keep a balance that helps to enhance angling oportunities.

http://career.kcdc.ca/nlmc/minutes/n...009summary.pdf

Creighton Regional Development Corp. is supplying products to a health food entrepreneur from Chicago. With this company’s support, the Corp. recommenced a burbot liver oil project as a way to revitalize commercial fishing and processing in northern Saskatchewan. Burbot fillets are filleted and processed and the oil from the livers is extracted in a project with Creighton Community School students. The Corp. has set up as a buying depot in eastside communities to supply the health food company with up to 1,000 pounds of rosehips.

In 2003, the Saskatchewan Commercial Fisheries Ltd. (SCFL) raised money from the fishermen and government agencies to build a fish processing plant in Saskatchewan. However, plans for the processing plant did not proceed and the fishermen’s $600,000 has been kept in trust. In early 2009, the Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation (FFMC) informed them that it was not supportive of providing a dual marketing system for Saskatchewan. In consequence, Saskatchewan Ministry of Environment sent a letter to the Federal Minister stating Saskatchewan’s intent to withdraw from FFMC marketing system by April 1, 2011. SCFL anticipates that, by the end of November, it will have raised the extra funding needed to proceed with construction of a processing plant in spring 2010. Buyers continue to contact SCFL to see when product will be available.

http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublicat...&Parl=36&Ses=1

I'd like to bring to you to the folder I presented you with, with my paperwork here. If you take a look at the very beginning, you'll note that there's an Arthur Andersen report. This was put together after my company spent tens of thousands of dollars trying to get into the fish business, trying to take the fish species that the corporation didn't want. One of them happened to be burbot, and believe it or not, it's a codfish; it's an inland freshwater codfish. After a couple of years of going up and trying to market this product, we basically got shut down, and the reasons are here. Arthur Andersen gave the reasons why we weren't succeeding. I'd like to just comment on a few of these.

If you take a look on page 2 of this Arthur Andersen report, you'll see three points at the bottom.

It starts off: “The Real Canadian Superstore has introduced maria'— or freshwater cod —“as President's Choice `Fresh water Cod' in its Ottawa and Quebec stores from December to April.”

It took a year and a half for me to develop that market with Superstore, going back and forth to Toronto, spending a lot of money.

One Superstore was offered a price by me, which they accepted, when I had to go off and get a special dealer's permit from the corporation.
The corporation found out who my market was going to. They automatically got somebody in Superstore and low-balled my price.

http://www.hayriverhub.com/2010/02/f...ve-freshwater/

Feb.17 2010.
In a historic move members of the Northwest Territories Fishermen’s Federation voted last week to leave the Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation (FFMC).