Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you catch and realse or keep fish>?
Strictly Catch and Realse 114 22.09%
Keep what you Catch 69 13.37%
C&R with the odd shore lunch. 316 61.24%
Dont Care. 17 3.29%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2017, 08:10 AM
Banned

Default ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I present a fact...simple fact if you think about it. Kind of a what comes first a chicken or the egg.

If simply the harvesting of fish is what is most enjoyable...then just gaining possession of a fish is no different than going to the grocery store.

If the recreational fun of the activity of fishing which you hope leads to a harvest is the fun...then that supercedes the harvesting.

As an individual you have to think about it and what it means to you.

If you go fishing all day and catch lots of fish but don't take anything home...are you heart broken, distraught, upset or mad?

If you go fishing...catch a fish in the first minute and drive all the way back home...are you happy?

I would say 95% of the people enjoy the activity first and foremost and keeping something to eat is just icing on the cake...not the cake itself.

Think about this , if you fish all day and catch a hundred or more fish then you release them all , you are unknowingly contaminating a hundred fish just by handling them , and it don't matter if you wear gloves , gloves pick up bacteria too, now if you kiss your fish , and say thank you fish , that's even worse, your mouth and breath is not good for them either.
SO , if the limit in that body of water is 5 , then l catch 5 and go home , lve only contaminated 5 fish , and l take them home to eat , so the likely hood of me contaminating the body of water is nil , compared to you handling a hundred or more fish, and putting them back.

C&R , is actually doing more harm to a fishery then keeping because of the multi times thease fish are handled , and some are also caught many times by the same fisherman , not good.
You could almost call it fish Harassment.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskinner View Post
Think about this , if you fish all day and catch a hundred or more fish then you release them all , you are unknowingly contaminating a hundred fish just by handling them , and it don't matter if you wear gloves , gloves pick up bacteria too, now if you kiss your fish , and say thank you fish , that's even worse, your mouth and breath is not good for them either.
SO , if the limit in that body of water is 5 , then l catch 5 and go home , lve only contaminated 5 fish , and l take them home to eat , so the likely hood of me contaminating the body of water is nil , compared to you handling a hundred or more fish, and putting them back.

C&R , is actually doing more harm to a fishery then keeping because of the multi times thease fish are handled , and some are also caught many times by the same fisherman , not good.
Don't be silly. Stupidest statement ive ever read.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:25 AM

C&R with the odd shore lunch, and only on stocked lakes. Everything caught on a river goes back.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:

LOL, Im not sure where you heard that about contamination but i'm sorry to tell you that that is false. Mishandling fish is another story and can certainly increase mortality rates but proper handing and hook removal does not contaminate anything lol. Somebody call Al Linder and let him know how many walleye he's contaminated over the years
Old 03-30-2017, 01:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn View Post
LOL, Im not sure where you heard that about contamination but i'm sorry to tell you that that is false. Mishandling fish is another story and can certainly increase mortality rates but proper handing and hook removal does not contaminate anything lol. Somebody call Al Linder and let him know how many walleye he's contaminated over the years

LOTS , he don't know
Old 03-30-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
LOTS , he don't know
You need Quit while you are ahead .

I am not sure where you got your information from but i would bet on here is NO unbiased data to support it .
Cat
Old 03-30-2017, 09:47 AM

Our governments hire people to gather data on our ecosystems to establish regulations that set limits on what is appropriate to manage the ecosystem. We the hunters and fisherman are what the governments use to manage these resources in the field. If they make huge mistakes by listening to special interest groups, such as the walleye council we all are effected. It is obvious to everyone who spends time fishing that trying to protect one species creates a negative effect on others. Example, Calling Lake, reduced walleye limits led to unhealthy walleye, (skinny) and a collapse of the perch fishing. It is hard to fathom that a huge lake like Calling can not support a jackfish population that would allow a single fish to be taken out. I have fished this lake for over 50 years and have watched it's slow demise by mismanagement. I don't believe it is the fault of sport fishermen who took out limits of fish, this lake was netted for years as a commercial fishery as well.

In my opinion stocked trout lakes that will over winter fish year after year without aeration should be protected to create quality fisheries, let the pothole fishermen take limits, the fish are going to croak anyway.

I throw back 90% of what the government says I can take but if you want fish, take what the government says you can. Do we NOT trust their judgement. If not we need to come down hard on them for mismanaging our resources. Just my rant for today.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn View Post
I think the contamination thing was pretty poorly worded, but the guy has a point that everyone wants to ignore. If you catch and release 100 fish in a day, you potentially killed as many or more fish than the guy who kept 3 and went home.

Sure you can minimise the risk by using artificial lures rather than bait, barbless hooks and careful fish handling, avoid fishing deep water... But I've heard that a fish's chance of survival if it is bleeding from its gills is pretty low, think of how many fish you've let go with bleeding gills. I keep some fish and I let lots go, but thinking of the many fish I've let swim with bleeding gills.. despite my best efforts I've probably killed as many fish as my grandfather, who only caught what he was allowed to keep.

On the subject of keeping fish, I think picking your location is a good idea. I think anyone who's fished Slave Lake the last few years can agree that thinning the current bumper crop of skinny-tailed, big headed walleye cant hurt. I also think that anyone who's pulled skinny hammer handle pike out of Utikima by the 100's can agree that its a fishery that might benefit from having fewer pike and more feed... these are the types of locations I fish when I'm after a fish fry.

Last edited by Bushleague; 03-30-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:54 PM

" Potentially " is a pretty big "if"
I fish barbless to begin rarely pick up the fish I release, as do many of the people I know.
I match the tackle to the fish - I don't go after big pike with an ultralight trout rod for example.
I have only had a few days since 1962 where I have caught 100 fish in a day as well, that is a big number.
Never kissed a fish either now that I think of it.
Cat
Old 03-30-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
" Potentially " is a pretty big "if"
I fish barbless to begin rarely pick up the fish I release, as do many of the people I know.
I match the tackle to the fish - I don't go after big pike with an ultralight trout rod for example.
I have only had a few days since 1962 where I have caught 100 fish in a day as well, that is a big number.
Never kissed a fish either now that I think of it.
Cat
I don't pick them out of the water if I don't have to either. But if the fish has the hook in his mouth rather than in the lips, doesn't even have to be that deep in his throat, you have to pick the fish up. If you are ice fishing you need to pick the fish up. If the fish gets flopping around and gets away from you time is wasted, if its a pike he will undoubtedly clamp his mouth shut and then you need to get out the jaw spreaders... and on it goes.

I fish 2-3 times a week most of the year, except for hunting season. I let hundreds of fish go a year and I know how to do it gently, but being honest with myself and everyone else, the next fish you catch is always a crap shoot. If he takes the hook deep, or in the wrong spot, or the release doesn't go well... chances are he might not survive. It all depends on the species and the method, but I'd hazard an honest guess that on average I probably kill 1 in 20 fish at least. If you do a lot of fishing that adds up.