Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycr125 View Post
I also attempt fly fishing from time to time but to be honest any encounters i have ever had with a fly fisherman have been negative as they always come off as snotty *****s and by no means do i provoke it, i keep to myself when fishing, i guess they just feel the need to come by and say a few snotty remarks and ruin peoples fun and then they are on their way.

I even have a friend who is strictly a fly fisherman, he cannot even cast a normal fishing rod and has the attitude that he is better than me and that normal fishing is stupid. i don't get it.

however i know all fly fishermen are not like this, i suppose those guys keep to themselves as well. but the people i speak of give fly fishermen a bad reputation.

but then again in fairness i have seen quite a few idiots who spin fish as well

i also agree about the attitude alot of fly fishermen have not being the greatest. there is a very large portion who are people with a lot of money to burn and seem to somehow feel that gives them a high horse. back home we called these folks" L.L beaners" as most were rich arrogant americans who had every gadget ever made and would laugh when they saw me in my duct taped rubber red ball waders lol
i fly fish because i enjoy constantly doing something and i find the fight generally more enjoyable.it also wasnt much of a choice as you can only fly fish for atlantic salmon where im from. as long as its being done legally and morally i couldnt care less weather someone is spin or fly fishing.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycr125 View Post
I also attempt fly fishing from time to time but to be honest any encounters i have ever had with a fly fisherman have been negative as they always come off as snotty *****s and by no means do i provoke it, i keep to myself when fishing, i guess they just feel the need to come by and say a few snotty remarks and ruin peoples fun and then they are on their way.

I even have a friend who is strictly a fly fisherman, he cannot even cast a normal fishing rod and has the attitude that he is better than me and that normal fishing is stupid. i don't get it.

however i know all fly fishermen are not like this, i suppose those guys keep to themselves as well. but the people i speak of give fly fishermen a bad reputation.

but then again in fairness i have seen quite a few idiots who spin fish as well

Any time we single out a group of people based on race, religion, methods of madness, car type, car colour, shape of hat, shoe size, type of dog they have, kind of sunglasses they wear, etc......and make a generalizations we tread on thin ice.....

I am a really crappy fly fisherman and I mostly fly fish for pike which makes most "real" fly fisherman snicker....but I have several rods and I have told members here I would help them out give it a try....fold gold-eye on the NSR or pike from shore etc...

We should unite in partaking in the outdoors not thumb our noses at each other based on the choices we make to enjoy it....

LC
Old 06-28-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Boot,

#1 whatever you have against me just come out and say it....#2, I never started the post #3, never in my posts did I make mention of race...only mention of poachers #4, DO NOT I mean DO NOT put words in my mouth...#5, when I see 2 guys have 15-20 fish between them (limit is 5) and no one else is around FISHING with them (limits are for "fishermen" or "fisherpeople" (heaven forbid a feminist chimed in against me), not people present), then when they are about to leave the rest of the family joins them....I have issue with that. As a responsible sportsman you should too.

LC
I have nothing against you.

And yes I do have a problem with poachers, but what's worse than having an angler take an extra fish home for the day is some of the mean spirited attitudes from members of this forum (and I don't mean you, but your post fuels the fire).
Old 06-28-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boot View Post
I have nothing against you.

And yes I do have a problem with poachers, but what's worse than having an angler take an extra fish home for the day is some of the mean spirited attitudes from members of this forum (and I don't mean you, but your post fuels the fire).
I am against poachers plain and simple and I said it before I don't care how tall they are, what color they are, or what they do for a living...

As far as adding fuel to fires....am I not allowed to concur with observations I have made and express that in a forum? I think without you realizing it you toss a bit of "fuel" out from time to time, wouldn't you agree?

Are you suggesting I need to censor my posts so people who are sensitive to certain social issues don't get upset?

LC
Old 06-28-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I think without you realizing it you toss a bit of "fuel" out from time to time, wouldn't you agree?

LC
Oh I'm pretty sure he realizes it...

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 06-28-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I am against poachers plain and simple and I said it before I don't care how tall they are, what color they are, or what they do for a living...

As far as adding fuel to fires....am I not allowed to concur with observations I have made and express that in a forum? I think without you realizing it you toss a bit of "fuel" out from time to time, wouldn't you agree?

Are you suggesting I need to censor my posts so people who are sensitive to certain social issues don't get upset?

LC
Oh you can....as long as the description doesn't include that they're asian or of a similar decent....
Old 06-28-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:

LC
I would agree that I add fuel to the fire. You originally posted that my posts usually end up fuelling a thread to the point of lock down. I can't argue with that... but an argument is usually two sided.

And yes you can concur with observations and add your own observations, but it wasn't your observations that I objected to.

I'm not suggesting any sort of censoring, but if you suggest things that I don't agree with, then I feel I have a much right as you to say something. In particular, it was the statement about bringing families out to circumvent the trout limit regulation that I really disliked. That part seemed like a natural extension to the previous threads about big filipino groups coming out to the lake. You originally suggested that these people (filipino or not) bring their families out so they can increase their limit, but that's no longer just an observation...
Old 06-28-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishing only 902 View Post
also if they are children they are under the adults license they are with which doesnt change the limit as far as i understand.
I tried to find in the regs were is says kids fish under an adults licence.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fis...prov-regs.html

I can not find this assumption in Alberta regs. Anyone else see anything in the regs?

In Alberta...if under 16. You don't need a licence. You would still need to abide by the regulations however.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Banned

Lefty,

Just leave him be. You are not the only one that sees boot and how he is. I am sure most reading this also read the thread between me and him. His posts are and always will be the same. I understand and appreciate his views and posts. But you need to realize is that what he is doing is no different than what he is "accusing" us of doing. Just in a different shape. A case of the kettle calling the pot black (should i use the word black? Maybe boot can focus on that word in his rebuttle to this comment instead of actually addressing the point of my post.) He accuses of of generalizing and stereotyping when in fact that is what he is doing. I tried to tell him in our last confrontation that YES I do and can acknowledge that racism and racists do exist(even on this forum) but that does not mean that you, or I, or everyone associated with this forum who reports a poacher sighting is a racist. But he chooses not to think this way (Maybe the cross he saw me burn in his front lawn confused him a bit.......) and he himself commits a form of bigotry by point a finger and saying we are to blame. We as members of this forum who discuss such topics are either a) racists ourselves or b) encouraging racism and bringing attention to it and in doing so spawning the next generation of racists. Well, I'm sorry but my personal belief is that it is the people who are doing exactly what he is doing that cause more harm than me or you talking about it. He draws more negative attention to these situations than anything. In fact I would be so bold to say that its the "freedom fighters" like him who almost make me want to believe in the racist attitude. But then I remember that it has nothing to do with race. Its just that some people are unable to comprehend things on a larger scale. I am all for going after and stopping people who are actually being racist. but to flame everyone is just being a hippocrate.

In regards to the way he addresses and attacks others. No other explanation than immaturity. A good example is in that last confrontation with him he began bringing my girlfriend into an argument about native rights and freedoms. Apparently the best rebuttle to a well laid argument is personal attack. These type of people will pick and choose parts of an argument that they feel best serve their own argument rather than addressing the statement as a whole. It is just not worth the time to engage it.

Oh and I should state to boot:

No I will not be replying to anything you have to say back to me. I have already wasted enough of my precious time writing this post. I just wanted to address this to Lefty Canuck because he was clearly getting heated over that same issue that I was having and wanted him to just think about it and let it go. It also serves as good reference to any others who in the future have this encounter with you.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

I can not find this assumption in Alberta regs. Anyone else see anything in the regs?

In Alberta...if under 16. You don't need a licence. You would still need to abide by the regulations however.
http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing...shingFAQs.aspx
Old 06-28-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:

To the best of my knowledge, Kids under 16 do not need a license of their own and they are allowed to take home their own limit SEPARATE of the limit of their parent or guardian.
Also.. its been nice reading..before the lock
Old 06-28-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
Lefty,

Just leave him be. You are not the only one that sees boot and how he is. I am sure most reading this also read the thread between me and him. His posts are and always will be the same. I understand and appreciate his views and posts. But you need to realize is that what he is doing is no different than what he is "accusing" us of doing. Just in a different shape. A case of the kettle calling the pot black (should i use the word black? Maybe boot can focus on that word in his rebuttle to this comment instead of actually addressing the point of my post.) He accuses of of generalizing and stereotyping when in fact that is what he is doing. I tried to tell him in our last confrontation that YES I do and can acknowledge that racism and racists do exist(even on this forum) but that does not mean that you, or I, or everyone associated with this forum who reports a poacher sighting is a racist. But he chooses not to think this way (Maybe the cross he saw me burn in his front lawn confused him a bit.......) and he himself commits a form of bigotry by point a finger and saying we are to blame. We as members of this forum who discuss such topics are either a) racists ourselves or b) encouraging racism and bringing attention to it and in doing so spawning the next generation of racists. Well, I'm sorry but my personal belief is that it is the people who are doing exactly what he is doing that cause more harm than me or you talking about it. He draws more negative attention to these situations than anything. In fact I would be so bold to say that its the "freedom fighters" like him who almost make me want to believe in the racist attitude. But then I remember that it has nothing to do with race. Its just that some people are unable to comprehend things on a larger scale. I am all for going after and stopping people who are actually being racist. but to flame everyone is just being a hippocrate.

In regards to the way he addresses and attacks others. No other explanation than immaturity. A good example is in that last confrontation with him he began bringing my girlfriend into an argument about native rights and freedoms. Apparently the best rebuttle to a well laid argument is personal attack. These type of people will pick and choose parts of an argument that they feel best serve their own argument rather than addressing the statement as a whole. It is just not worth the time to engage it.

Oh and I should state to boot:

No I will not be replying to anything you have to say back to me. I have already wasted enough of my precious time writing this post. I just wanted to address this to Lefty Canuck because he was clearly getting heated over that same issue that I was having and wanted him to just think about it and let it go. It also serves as good reference to any others who in the future have this encounter with you.
Lol, I've never been called a freedom fighter before.

Braun, you spend a lot of energy reading and responding to my posts, but based on your comments, it's too bad you haven't understood any of it. Maybe one day you will... maybe you never will.

FWIW, it was you who brought your girlfriend into our "discussion".
Old 06-28-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
To the best of my knowledge, Kids under 16 do not need a license of their own and they are allowed to take home their own limit SEPARATE of the limit of their parent or guardian. Also.. its been nice reading..before the lock
Only if they catch them on their own. A licensed angler CANNOT catch fish over their limit and count them toward a juvenile's limit.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:29 AM

Just to clarify a few things guys:
1: the people doing the poaching were all races ( white, phillipino,)
2: the guys using 2 rods each had 4 lines in the water at once! They had a slip bobber with some kind of rig underneath it. So no they werent switching and using a spinner then a rig. They had 4 rigs in the water with the 2 of them.
3: I definitely agree with who ever said that the people that bring their families out only do that to increase their limit. Because their kids don't even fish.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:29 AM

Big Game you just started another raciest thread 0.o lol
locked...
Old 06-28-2011, 11:39 AM

Haha I didn't mean to stir up the pot
Old 06-28-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I beg to differ.

All Alberta tax paying sportsmen are custodians and guardians of the resource. There are processes and methods in place for us to exercise our duty such as the Report a Poacher hot line. Remember however that guardian does not mean judge, jury and executioner.

Once you have fished long enough and get a little older and wiser you will know that poaching is not defined by age, sex, skin color or fishing method but rather a total disrespect for the rules and regulations set out to protect the resource.

Joining a poor chorus of them against us does little to constructively address this ongoing problem.

We all need to be part of the solution. The more eyes on the water the better...but then let F&W do their job and address infractions they see.

Also discussing common areas where poaching occurs and even discussing regulations to ensure every understands and complies can only help. Communication is the key.

So keep at it guys...report the poachers...continue being a guardian of the resource. The more eyes and ears the better...and the more F&W get called the more they will patrol an area. Lack of action will mean a free for all.
x2 well put. Its everyone's responsibility to help protect resources but leave the enforcement to the F&W guys/gals. Vigilance and communication are they key, while apathy and saying "its not our place to report people" is what leads to the destruction of fishing stock.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamehunter View Post
Just to clarify a few things guys:
1: the people doing the poaching were all races ( white, phillipino,)
2: the guys using 2 rods each had 4 lines in the water at once! They had a slip bobber with some kind of rig underneath it. So no they werent switching and using a spinner then a rig. They had 4 rigs in the water with the 2 of them.
3: I definitely agree with who ever said that the people that bring their families out only do that to increase their limit. Because their kids don't even fish.
Thank you BGH for confirming this...as you and I have seen it with our own eyes! Thats why I welcome all the nay sayers out for a night of fishing on the great little pond in my community to see for themselves.

LC
Old 06-28-2011, 11:56 AM

Thanks Braun for your post and comments I now have a better understanding of certain motives around these types of posts.

LC
Old 06-28-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
Only if they catch them on their own. A licensed angler CANNOT catch fish over their limit and count them toward a juvenile's limit.
YES. This is true, forgot to mention in my post. Thanks TR!
Old 06-28-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
For those not wanted to look it up...this is what the F&W question answer says...

I want to take my kids (all under 16) fishing. I won't be fishing; do I need a licence?
No. You do not need a licence if you are not fishing.

Do kids and seniors have the same daily limits as everybody else?
Yes. The limits are the same for kids and seniors.

Any yes...technically who ever is holding the rod when the fish is landed is the one that is credited with catching the fish... Standard.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I would agree that I add fuel to the fire. You originally posted that my posts usually end up fuelling a thread to the point of lock down. I can't argue with that... but an argument is usually two sided.

And yes you can concur with observations and add your own observations, but it wasn't your observations that I objected to.

I'm not suggesting any sort of censoring, but if you suggest things that I don't agree with, then I feel I have a much right as you to say something. In particular, it was the statement about bringing families out to circumvent the trout limit regulation that I really disliked. That part seemed (making an azzumption makes an "azz" out of "u" and "me") like a natural extension to the previous threads about big filipino groups coming out to the lake. You originally suggested that these people (filipino or not) bring their families out so they can increase their limit, but that's no longer just an observation. (correct its the truth not just an observation)..
...then sadly you dislike the truth....thats for you to deal with if you dislike the facts as truth, like I said I invite you to come on down to the Beaumont pond @ 4-Seasons park (can give you directions if you like) and witness what I am talking about. I have a spare fly rod for you to try if you like also....

I think you have a personal goal to feel what is good inside each poacher to justify their actions, and to find the gentle humanity in their illegal actions. Come to the pond and you can give out free hugs.....maybe they just want to be held and they will change their poaching ways.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 06-28-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Really, the Filipinos bring their children out so they can increase their limit? Not so they can actually fish and have fun outside? It's funny when a white guy brings his kids out to fish/play, the entire forum says "aw, how cute... great to see the little ones outside having fun". When Filipinos comes out, heaven forbid they bring their children or multiple families for an outing. The only reason they do that is so they can increase their take home limit.

Anyhow, based on the original description, I doubt there was any poaching by the Filipinos. Biggamehunter's credibility is worth about as much as the toilet paper I just flushed down the toilet.

Also, if you have a problem with the regulations, take it up with F&W. They can fish there every night if they want to. They can take their limit if they choose to. They can keep the little fish and the big fish if they want. The children can fish and take their limit. The wives can fish and take their limit. They can eat it all there or take it home and eat, then come back the next day for more. They don't have to live there to fish there... some of the gripes are so assinine.
It's interesting to see that Alberta is having some of the same problems that we out here on the coast have. All you have to do is spend a day out on the Fraser, Vedder or any of the crab fishing piers to witness the abuses and the obvious slant toward a common ethnic origin.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:57 PM

Hey I was the fellow that talked to you on the way out. I also called fish and wildlife. He called me back to saythey were in Camrose and could not make it out. Asked for there plate if I had it. Which i did not. I live in that town and watch the crap people pull out there daily. Ohh well all I can do is follow the rules that I know, pick up other peoples crap and try to enjoy myself. Its a nice little resource for us to enjoy why do people have to take advantage.....??
Old 06-28-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
...then sadly you dislike the truth....thats for you to deal with if you dislike the facts as truth, like I said I invite you to come on down to the Beaumont pond @ 4-Seasons park (can give you directions if you like) and witness what I am talking about. I have a spare fly rod for you to try if you like also....

I think you have a personal goal to feel what is good inside each poacher to justify their actions, and to find the gentle humanity in their illegal actions. Come to the pond and you can give out free hugs.....maybe they just want to be held and they will change their poaching ways.

LC
So by truth, you're telling me that F&W went out there and tried to ticket these families. They claimed the children caught the fish and you saw that the children (wife, friend or whoever) did not actually pull in the fish. I'm also going to guess that the children are miserable out there, since these fathers are dragging them out there for no other reason than to be able to take a couple more fish home for the day.

I'm not sure how you can claim the truth/fact about another person's intentions just by looking at them? Again, I'm not talking about the act of poaching (which is debatable, since the description said they keep everything they catch... what does that mean?).
Old 06-28-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
So by truth, you're telling me that F&W went out there and tried to ticket these families. They claimed the children caught the fish and you saw that the children (wife, friend or whoever) did not actually pull in the fish. I'm also going to guess that the children are miserable out there, since these fathers are dragging them out there for no other reason than to be able to take a couple more fish home for the day.

I'm not sure how you can claim the truth/fact about another person's intentions just by looking at them? Again, I'm not talking about the act of poaching (which is debatable, since the description said they keep everything they catch... what does that mean?).
LOL good ole "Boot" read into it whatever you like...manufacture what ever scenario you like you clearly have reading comprehension issues.

I rarely see the kids fishing....they play at the park but I see the Dads have well over the limit of 5....what do think is going on here? AGAIN I INVITE YOU TO COME SEE IT FOR YOURSELF.....as far as I am concerned your opinion on this means nothing till you come out there and prove me and the other guys here who are seeing the same things I see going on wrong.

I never said kids have no fun there....they just don't have fun fishing cause alot of the time they aren't fishing....the Dads are. So keep putting words in my mouth like you always do.....

Clearly you have a better handle on whats going on here and even though I have witnessed it and you have not you know exactly what is going on and all the other guys including myself who have seen it are liars.....

I am done with you....

Maybe for funzies I'll start videoing everyone who fishes there some evening That should get a reaction.....lol.

LC
Old 06-28-2011, 02:22 PM

Fish and wildlife called me back and told me they were spread out in camrose and that they could not make it. Wish i had there plates or i would have gave them that. Does not matter what colour or religon was down there, the rules were being broken. That is plain and simple. I expressed my concern to the Officer about seening these actions on a daily basies. He said that they would be doing some stop ins at the pond to check it out. I know not everyone that enjoys fishing is as up to date on rules and regs like most of us on here. So there has to be some forgivenes. Yet there are some people who know the rules and are relentless down there almost everyday. To those people i hope you get your up and comings.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:34 PM

Jesus boot... The kids aren't the ones catching the fish, so it is illegal. Stop trying to argue the damn facts.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
LOL good ole "Boot" read into it whatever you like...manufacture what ever scenario you like you clearly have reading comprehension issues.

I rarely see the kids fishing....they play at the park but I see the Dads have well over the limit of 5....what do think is going on here? AGAIN I INVITE YOU TO COME SEE IT FOR YOURSELF.....as far as I am concerned your opinion on this means nothing till you come out there and prove me and the other guys here who are seeing the same things I see going on wrong.

I never said kids have no fun there....they just don't have fun fishing cause alot of the time they aren't fishing....the Dads are. So keep putting words in my mouth like you always do.....

Clearly you have a better handle on whats going on here and even though I have witnessed it and you have not you know exactly what is going on and all the other guys including myself who have seen it are liars.....

I am done with you....

Maybe for funzies I'll start videoing everyone who fishes there some evening That should get a reaction.....lol.

LC
I never said I knew what was going on there. I never said that poaching wasn't happening. But when someone comes onto this forum and screams "those Filipinos keep everything they catch", I'm more inclined to believe the idiot has no clue what's going on. He might even have angler envy, because he's not catching anything... who knows... but his credibility is worthless.

You chose to continue the thread and add your own opinions. Indirectly or not, you added your own belief about someone else's intentions without knowing anything about them. You keep arguing with me about poaching and for me to come take a look, but it's irrelevant to me. If they're poaching, call it in and let F&W deal with the situation. I'm less concerned about a couple of sterile 8 inch fish in a put and take pond than I am with some of the attitudes on this board.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Jesus boot... The kids aren't the ones catching the fish, so it is illegal. Stop trying to argue the damn facts.

Don't mind him, he trolls every poaching thread looking for Racist comments to start arguments over....