Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-07-2013, 06:49 PM

Default New boat advice.

Finally time to upgrade my 1973 tri-haul to a new family fishing machine. I have been doing my homework online but i would still like opinions of more experienced boaters and fishermen. Here is my short list so far.

Crestliner Super Hawk 1750 with Etec 135 HO
Lund impact 1750with 115 4S
Smoker Craft Ultima 172 with 150 4S
Tracker Targe with Opti 150
Alumacraft Dominator with Etec 135 HO.

They are all very close in price from the online quotes i got. The best deal equipment wise i think would be the Crestliner so far and quite like the guy from Free Spirit Marine. Any boat i should stay away from? I really want to give the Etec a try, good choice? Im planning on buying at the boat show when i get a chance to see them all at the same time. Budget is as close to 30k as possible.

Any opinion appreciated.

Cheers

Fred
Old 03-07-2013, 06:58 PM

1) Lund
2) Crestliner
3) Alumacraft
4) Smokercraft
5) Tracker
Old 03-07-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
1) Lund
2) Crestliner
3) Alumacraft
4) Smokercraft
5) Tracker
x2...
Old 03-07-2013, 08:33 PM

Have a look at the Kingfisher 1725 Flex Sport. hardcore fishing machine. Top quality.

Custom Weld is another one to consider.

I would have bought a Kingfisher myself except we do lot's of family stuff and the "cushy and soft" feel of a Lund Tyee was a better choice for my family.

I wish I had more balls and just bought the hardcore machine and left the wife, kids and dog on shore .... lol.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 PM

The Crestliner is a great value. Free Spirit has taken good care of me through 2 boat deals. Definitely the best to deal with in Edmonton. Good luck and enjoy your new boat.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Have a look at the Kingfisher 1725 Flex Sport. hardcore fishing machine. Top quality.

Custom Weld is another one to consider.

I would have bought a Kingfisher myself except we do lot's of family stuff and the "cushy and soft" feel of a Lund Tyee was a better choice for my family.

I wish I had more balls and just bought the hardcore machine and left the wife, kids and dog on shore .... lol.
Im in the same boat... pun intended. I want something more family friendly. I think the Lund is a bit under powered in my price range. Sounds like the Crestliner is a good choice. Thats where i was leaning anyway. Those Tyee are awfully nice, but they get expensive real quick.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptemomo View Post
Im in the same boat... pun intended. I want something more family friendly. I think the Lund is a bit under powered in my price range. Sounds like the Crestliner is a good choice. Thats where i was leaning anyway. Those Tyee are awfully nice, but they get expensive real quick.
The 115 will be fine with these light boats and will have plenty of power - the HO 135 Rude, however, is significantly more powerful and is definitely a "superpower" in this selection of motors. It will deliver more torque and hole shot than almost any 150 4 stroke out there.

Riverside Honda, in St.Albert, offers Mercury, Honda and Evinrude motors on Lund boats.

Hondas and Rudes are bigger money - Mercury offers a 125 Optimax that should be very close to price to their 115 4 stroke.

The Lund is a superior boat. PM me and I may be able to get you a quote through a lady a few of us forum members have dealt with in the last few months.

A few of us purchased boats from her.

She was able to get us an unbelievable deal.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
1) Lund
2) Crestliner
3) Alumacraft
4) Smokercraft
5) Tracker
Where would you place a Princecraft in this list of 5 (now 6)? Just wondering as I am in the middle of making the same decision. I had my top 3 down to Princecraft, Lund, and Crestliner but in no particular order. Had planned on crawling around them all next weekend at the show.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2013, 08:36 AM

Princecraft is a quality boat. It is also the most expensive of the group (20% more than a lund). Looks like a nice fit and finish - looks like a quality boat to me - heavy trailers, hatch hinges, transom construction etc..... I don't know alot about them to be honest as they have been recently re-branded and re-designed.

I think the test of time will tell us where they belong. Right now I'd rate it number 3 right below Crestliner - only becuase Crestliner has proven itself as a premium boat.

The reason I, myself, choose Lund over the Crestliner is the same stuff I see above ....

Heavier hinges on latches, heavier wire to automotive fuse panel, Heavier transom, IPS2 hull, heavier trailer, thicker marine floor boards, way better seats, more lockable storage, better livewells, smarter designs (for the way I fish) etc......
Old 03-08-2013, 09:09 AM

I really like alumacraft. Especially with that power plant. The evinrude etec motors are nuts. Do some research on those motors and you'd be hard pressed to find a better motor on today's market. Alumacraft boats are very underrated and you won't find better service then that dealer in Red Deer. Boats service and warranty is just about non-existent today.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Banned

Does Legend not make a good boat??
Old 03-08-2013, 09:14 AM

Just remember. Your about to purchase a hole in the water that costs alot of money. So make sure your very happy with your choice. The boat show IMO is not the place to buy a boat cause all dealers put their smiley faces on and what you see outta them might not be what you get. Your gonna be a boat owner. Or as my wife calls it " a boaner." good luck with your purchase and see you on the water.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baptiste_moose View Post
I really like alumacraft. Especially with that power plant. The evinrude etec motors are nuts. Do some research on those motors and you'd be hard pressed to find a better motor on today's market. Alumacraft boats are very underrated and you won't find better service then that dealer in Red Deer. Boats service and warranty is just about non-existent today.
Are you kidding me you must work for boatmart. you are the first person I have heard say a good thing about them I agree alumicraft is a great boat but avoid boat mart just go in the store and look at all the clutter that sums up how they operate the business. I took boat into them for service twice both times with appointment and both times it was over 6 months before getting my boat back. The first time was just to winterize it the second time for some engine work which after 6 months they never even looked at. they knocked the transducer off by running my boat into another boat with that forklift they use to move boats in there dinky little yard packed full of boats and denied.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFTrapper View Post
Where would you place a Princecraft in this list of 5 (now 6)? Just wondering as I am in the middle of making the same decision. I had my top 3 down to Princecraft, Lund, and Crestliner but in no particular order. Had planned on crawling around them all next weekend at the show.

Thanks
I agree with your top 3. If it makes a difference Princecraft is made in Canada.

I'm sure you will enjoy whatever boat you get, you don't hear a lot of complaints about any of the higher end boats just the service.

(In case you were wondering after 3 years of looking and studying I went with a Lund Tyee. Great boat but not cheap)

See you on the water
Old 03-11-2013, 10:11 AM

Just curious with your choice of watercraft. I would like to know since you are selling a smokercraft or have you sold it already why you would list it as your 4th choice?? The reason I ask is I purchased a pro angler last fall from Shipwreck and am beginning to think either the choice of watercraft was a bad decision or the choice of dealership was a bad choice? In another post I noticed a member mentioned Shipwreck has had a problem with the BBB?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overparr View Post
Just curious with your choice of watercraft. I would like to know since you are selling a smokercraft or have you sold it already why you would list it as your 4th choice?? The reason I ask is I purchased a pro angler last fall from Shipwreck and am beginning to think either the choice of watercraft was a bad decision or the choice of dealership was a bad choice? In another post I noticed a member mentioned Shipwreck has had a problem with the BBB?
That's a fair question.

The Smokercraft is a mid market average boat. You put any mid market boat like a SmokerCraft against a Crestliner, Alumacraft, Kingfisher (Harbercraft) and Lunds and it just isn't as good as these premium brands.

Knowing what i know now - I would have spent the extra 10-15% and purchased a Crestliner or Lund at that time.

Don't get me wrong - Smokercraft is a good boat and I have had no major issues with it, as a boat. The dealer, however, is a joke. The local Smokercraft dealer here in Edmonton are crooks and thieves. They don't manufacture the boat - they just sell and service them under warranty.

I have had all my spring and fall service done at Free Spirt and they have been great. The Merc 2 stroke on the back of my boat runs like a top and and provides lots of power to do any watersports with the teenage kids. It's been a great boat.

Keep in mind - Some of these premium boats are better than others. The list to reads, to me like this, Mercedes, BMW, Caddilac, Ford or Kia. The Smokercraft, in this anology, is the standard Ford here. Fords are good vehicles.

After looking at Trackers this weekend (I was at a soccer tournament with my son in Calgary) and stopped in at BassPro - the Trackers are lower in quality than my Smokercraft by a long shot. They are the Kia in this set of comparisons.

I don't want to trash the Trackers or Legends ........ just have a close look at them. I shouldn't be able to push the hull in my thumb should I? The thickness of the doors and floors is no where near the strength of my boat. I climbed in and the floor was spongy and weak - the sales guy quickly came over to intercept me .... lol. Hinges, plastic pulls, non protected, non waterproof wiring block, uninslated live well etc...... I actuated the throtle control at the helm and I could see the side of the panel bending !!!!!

I recently purchased a Lund - becuase they are absolutely the best quality boat within this premium category for the same reasons I noted;

- Better trailers
- Better wiring
- stonger hinges and latches
- 1 manual and 1 auto bilige pump (2 pumps)
- Best flotation
- Double plated hulls
- IPS2 dry ride hull
- Automotive fuse block and wiring harness
- Stronger Transom (look at weight/hp rating for each boat)
- Top industry re-sale value

The choice was clear as a bell to me .......... after looking closely at the things you "might not see" it's not hard to spend an extra $1000 on a $40,000boat.

It was a no brainer to me. There is no intelligent arguement that can't be governed by the simple facts. Look at the specs and look at the fine details.

It's easy to make a boat look sexy ........ but some of the worst cars out there look pretty cool too don't they.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:09 PM

Default Better bracing

Don't leave out Lund better marine plywood ...

More bracing in crucial areas .....The only way to figure this out is keep

One of those cheaper boats and a Lund for 5 to 10 yrs and then look at the product..
It's incredible ......And the thing that really kills those cheaper boats
Is the trailering ,shakes the guts out of those boats. . I like the dealers that put those cheap boats on no name roller trailers.....buyer beware

Also those smoker and trackers aren't that much cheaper.....a smart shopper
In alberta will buy the best for the same price as the crap....apples to apples.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:03 PM

Also compare this stat;

Lund level flotation = max persons/gear weight rating ...........

Lund 18ft Tyee = capacity of 1700 lbs

SmokerCraft 182 = capcity of 1725 lbs

Tracker V 18 = capacity of 900 lbs

......... hmmmmmmmmmm ............
Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Also compare this stat;

Lund level flotation = max persons/gear weight rating ...........

Lund 18ft Tyee = capacity of 1700 lbs

SmokerCraft 182 = capcity of 1725 lbs

Tracker V 18 = capacity of 900 lbs

......... hmmmmmmmmmm ............

lol...better re-check your spec's. Last time i checked i was pretty sure tracker had 1650 lbs capacity, not 900. Maybe list all specs, as mentioned in another post they could push the metal in on the side of a tracker. Well surprise they are the same thickness of aluminum as lund and other competators. You can also list that the tracker is a wider boat than most, making them more roomy...

...........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........
Old 03-11-2013, 02:36 PM

Have you considered a jet boat. I don't think I will ever buy another fishing boat. 19 ft Northwest suits me just fine. Awesome on any lake or river.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:04 AM

I just bought my Smokercraft from Shipwreck and ONLY did because it is the only Smoker dealer in town. I purchased a Four Winns from them last year and the minute I left the showroom after the cheque cleared they pretty much forgot I existed. I had a warranty issue with my FourWinns and when I contacted them, they deferred it until spring. When spring came, their service email addy was gone/changed. After repeated attempts to get the part, I gave up and sold the boat. I will not use them for service/warranty work, not to mention the sales guy on the FourWinns was an arrogant jerk. I specifically asked for a differerent sales rep this time and he was much better.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:23 AM

I bought a Tracker and have ran it for 3 seasons and not an ounce of problems. If I were to do it over Sylvan and Prince Craft are on the top of my list for a nice looking well built boats if luxury your what you want. But my next lake boat will be a Hewes Craft there priced well and will out last all alluminum boats built plastic or fibre glass consoles. I did my research when I bought my Tracker. Every make and model have had issues and seem the alway come out when your researching. I have heard bad thing an all boats.

I have owned a Crestliner and got shafted on warranty when transom failed. Thank god it wasn't on the lake. Found it when I was giving her a spit shine. And later found our it was common problem with crestliner's. My brother in-laws Lund is 5 years old now and has a leak that they can't find and the console cracked out just when it came off warranty.

My advice start with what your budget is. Research what's in your price range and pick the better one.

One thing I like about Tracker is there back by BPS and will be around for a while. Can't say as much for some of the other manufactures.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:38 AM

My dad just bought another new one got it outta nipawan sask, Lund with 200 outboard, just waiting to water test it then off to the 40 mile.