Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-10-2007, 07:25 AM

Question Magnaport Or Muzzlebrake

Morning out there, just wondering what is better magnaport or muzzlebrake & if anyone knows anywhere that is good at doing either of these. fordman.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:33 AM

Default muzzlebreak

k

Last edited by pika; 03-23-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:11 AM

Like pika mentioned, you might want to really think about this. Muzzle brakes are very LOUD. I've had the misfortune of sitting beside someone at the shooting range more than one time, and even with hearing protection, the noise is painful. If you get a brake, make sure it's one that can be removed for hunting season (assuming it's for a hunting rifle) because they will cause permanent damage if you shoot with out hearing protection. Keep your hunting partners in mind too.

My only experience with a Magna-ported gun was a 4" S&W Model 29 44 magnum. It wasn't anywhere near as loud as a muzzle-braked high power rifle and it did help the muzzle jump quite a bit. It was still pretty loud though.

Last edited by Scott N; 09-10-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:48 AM

I have three rifles c/w muzzle brakes. Two were bought used and the brakes were already installed and the third, a 300 Win Mag, I added the brake. I also had a Ruger #1 in 7mm Rem Mag that had been Magna-ported. For some reason, this particular firearm was the most unpleasant rifle I have ever had the displeasure to shoot.

On my 300 Win Mag, after much consideration and research, I decided to install a Gentry forward-ported muzzle brake. I think Gentry refers to them as the “Quiet’ brake... perhaps a bit of an oxymoron. I have a couple of 300 Win Mags (only one is braked), and I honestly do not notice a huge difference in muzzle noise between the two unless I am shooting under the roof at the outdoor range. Also, a benefit of the brake vs. magna-porting is that you can get a threaded cap to install if you decide to remove the brake for whatever reason.

I guess a lot of your decision will be determined on the reasons you want to reduce the felt recoil. For me, I wanted an accurate rifle that I would be comfortable shooting out to 350 yards. I also carry a bipod on this particular rig to assist me with accuracy. If this was not a factor, and I was “recoil shy” (which contrary to some claims is not a sin), I would probably just go with a friendlier cartridge.

I know it is not always practical, but hearing protection is a good thing. I am currently experimenting with some electronic hearing protection that allows audible noise but will shut out muzzle blast. Muzzle brake or not, I find my ears always ring when I take a shot in a canopy of trees. Regards, Mike
Old 09-10-2007, 12:01 PM

Yup defintly loud, I had my 338 done sonn after getting it. It was not a plesant gun to shoot, it is the old style ruger synthetic stalk the stock is narrow and there is no real recoil pad (the guys who complain about the stevens need to try this). Even after the port it will still sting you on the bench, the load development from 2 weeks ago brused me up some.

One thing I would do differntly is have the brake removable, use it on the bench then take it off for hunting after confirming zero. Mine is sort of a double wammy all that happen was the stock barrel was back bored and the break drilled into the end. So I have a shorter barrel making it extra loud.

Though maybe a better recoil pad and a murcury recoil suppressor can get you down enough. Other things like stock fit come to mind as well.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:53 PM

If the gun requires you to have a muzzle break on it to shoot comfortably then it is too much gun for you. Us guys at the range who have had the pleasure of shooting beside someone with a muzzle break would prefer that you shoot it somewhere else, preferably where nobody else is within hearing range.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
If the gun requires you to have a muzzle break on it to shoot comfortably then it is too much gun for you. Us guys at the range who have had the pleasure of shooting beside someone with a muzzle break would prefer that you shoot it somewhere else, preferably where nobody else is within hearing range.
Bushrat, I respectfully disagree with your blanket statement that if you need a muzzle brake, then it is too much gun for you. I agree that some, maybe many, individuals may be equally well served by going to a more manageable chambering but for some, a muzzle brake becomes an important tool. It depends on the reasons for which you might consider a muzzle brake.

If I was of small stature or "recoil shy" and wished to hunt animals in Africa where the 375 H&H was the minimum legal cartridge, a muzzle brake becomes a very effective tool in allowing me to realize my opportunity. I think it would be a shame to dismiss a youngster from a moose hunt because they are only confident with the recoil of a 243 Winchester and we don't like muzzle brakes on a 30-06.

They scare me at the shooting range too, but I believe they do have a place and to many serve a useful purpose. Regards, Mike
Old 09-10-2007, 03:22 PM

Well I have a Weatherby Lazermark in 300 wby that has been magnaport. I love it recoil is way less. And its not loud like a muzzle break, I don't have a extra two inchs of barrel to try and deal with when moving around in heavy bush. 26 inch barrel is enough to deal with by put another 2 inchs on it when its not needed. I have a lead on the guy that does magnaporting in canada if you send me a pm I'll give you all the info.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:48 PM

Bushrat I hate to say it but your comfort beside me at the range is not really a concern of mine, that said I will segragate myself if possible.

I always think of the first day I took it out after the work. It was at the cover range in Poc Co in BC. There were mainly 22 and 223's out that day after I touched off the first round and as the dust was settling there were 10 sets of eyes looking to see what happened.

Another time I was out at sibald and a guy comes buy with a buba'd nagant of some sort and appoligizes for how lout it will be. After a few rounds out comes the 338 of course they don't have hearing protection on, they know what loud sounds like now

I see breaks as mainly a range accessory, typically in the field they are not all that needed, with the few number of shots, heavy clothing and shooting positions that absorb recoil much better. But those sight in or load testing sessions can go a long way in developing a flinch. About half way through my load test session I was thinking that one of those caldwell lead sleds would be nice to have.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:35 PM

I hate brakes and everything that goes with them, including the noise , muzzle blast, stuff flying off my table, etc.
I have several friends who have been deafend by them, either their own rifles or others.

They may be okayy for some, but i can't see putting one on a rifle of my own.
just for the record,,I have shot many riifles with brakes on them.
As far as Africa goes, i don't know if the areas designate
"375 belted magnum" cartridges or simply .375 caliber.
there are manyy bores bigger than .375 that a shooter caqn use and not get pounded, and even the 375H&H itself is not too bad,
even for my shoulder injury.( although I would not take more than a few shots at a time).
Personally , I'd go with a smaller caliber or slightly heavier rifle.
Cat
Old 09-10-2007, 05:48 PM

I have to side with Bushrat, and Cat on this one.
The cases where a person truely requires a muzzle brake are so slim it's almost a non issue.
I have had many a laugh at the range when Bubba buys the biggest and latest wonder mag, and finds out it not only kicks the snot out of hime, it cuts his knuckle on the bolt knob, and the recoil is so fierce it cuts open the middle finger of his trigger hand from the trigger guard smashing into his hand under recoil. So Bubba decides he needs a muzzle brake, when all he really need was a calibre like a 30'06, since he has'nt hunted anything other than deer and the odd moose.
I too hate it when Bubba's of any form arrive with the ventelator on his muzzle, and proceeds to make sure his muzzle is under the roof edge of the shooting line, so he not only will clear the cob webs from the rafters, he will loosen the dental work of anyone unfortunate enough to be near him.
Bad manners are bad manners whether it's at the dinner table or at the shooting range.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-10-2007, 05:57 PM

I guess brakes may have their place in the fiearms world, on .50's and other stuff, but if I am going to shoot something like that, i'm going to make sure it iis heavy enough that i can manage it without a brake, and I'm not about to build a .50 , 338lapua AI, or anything els in the near futere.
My 300WSM match rifle will get where the long rangers shoot ( past 1K), it is unbraked, and accurate enough to shoot with them.
Anything inside that , I stay with the smaller stuff I already shoot, the pipsqueak
6BR, 6.5WSSM, etc.

Oh, and the tired old, worn out, good -for nothing- but deer 308!
Gotta be my favorite of all cartridges.....
Cat
Old 09-10-2007, 06:33 PM

I think we all agree that rifles with brakes are louder than rifles without brakes and may indeed cause additional consequences or contribute to hearing problems if adequate protection is not used. I think we all agree that many individuals that choose to shoot rifles with muzzle brakes would be better suited and happier shooting a more “recoil friendly” cartridge with exactly the same or better results to their style of shooting. I also think we all agree, or at least recognize that shooting braked rifles at the shooting range can be a distraction or negative experience for our fellow shooters. Obviously, I would hope a level of respect or consideration would be shown in these situations.

However, I think we also need to look at the brake issue in a broader context. They are legal, to some shooters they provide a real solution to a problem or issue, it is the responsibility of the shooter to ensure his or her safety as well as the safety of others and if they become a negative issue at shooting ranges then the individual ranges should decide if and when they can be used.

I think we need to be careful in the unilateral condemnation such appliances. I know there are those who think the semi-automatic rifle has no place in shooting and especially hunting. I know others who think a black, synthetic stocked rifle has no business in hunting. I know individuals who think a scope with an illuminated reticle is only used for poaching and has no place in hunting. The list goes on and on. These may or may not be my choices, but providing the user is abiding by the law, safe and understands personal responsibility and accountability of his or her choices, good on them.

Last year I was shooting down at the range. A fellow shooter approached and told me that he was shooting a 338 Win with a BOSS and that it could be pretty loud. I asked him if it was okay if I took 5 shot groups and then allowed him to the same, alternating our shooting times to lessen distractions. When he shot, I just stepped out of the shack and drank my coffee. It all worked out fine. Regards, Mike
Old 09-10-2007, 06:52 PM

Can someone explain the difference between a muzzle break and magnaport?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:01 PM

Jethro, basically a muzzle brake is an appliance that extends the length of the barrel proportionate to the overall length of the brake. Magnaporting is a milling process that is machined into the end of the barrel itself. Regards, Mike
Old 09-10-2007, 07:02 PM

Muzzle brake:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...e=MUZZLE+BRAKE

Magna porting:
http://www.magnaport.com/rifle.html

There are no absolutes
Old 09-10-2007, 07:05 PM

So truely put Bull Shooter:
Not everyone needs one.
I think all the negatives surrounding the brakes and ranges stems from bad manners exhibited while at the range.
If every feller with a muzzle brake behaved like the feller you discribed, I think a lot less hard feelings would exist.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-10-2007, 07:17 PM

I guess anyone considering a brake should first ask why they think they need one and determine if indeed the actually need to go that route. Secondly, they should be very aware that they are noisier than an unbraked rifle and may very well cause hearing problems if adequate protection is not used. Thirdly, they should understand that they may not be the most popular shooter at the range if they do not show proper courtesy and consideration for the other shooters. And finally, they will almost always decrease the value of your firearm. As evidenced on this thread, most shooters do not like them at all. Regards, Mike
Old 09-10-2007, 08:11 PM

I have a thicker pad on my weatherby van 338 win mag. With syn stock. I have to say after 45 rounds I was only slightly red, and the next day was fine. Other than the bleeding eyebrow I enjoyed the session.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:14 PM

Don't anyone get me wrong, I'm not about to condemm them or try and have them outlawed on our range.
We do however want them to be shot out from under our overhead proteection if there are other shooters present.
I just personally doon't like them, and do get pizzsed when the muzzle blast from a .50 two benches away knocks my gear over on my bench!
Or when the short barreled , compensated "burp gun" rings the crap out of my ears , even when it's being fired from the same bench.

I think it's time to make another range, just for these rigs.
Cat
Old 09-10-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Muzzle Brakes

Thanks for all the info everybody. The reason I was asking I have new rifle & my wife wants my 300 mag. She is used to 6.5x55. I guess I'll keep sighting in and she can shoot when she has to. Also I don't use a public range I'm liucky enough to have my own at home. Although that new recoil pad sounds like the way to go. Fordman
Old 09-10-2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
Thanks for all the info everybody. The reason I was asking I have new rifle & my wife wants my 300 mag. She is used to 6.5x55. I guess I'll keep sighting in and she can shoot when she has to. Also I don't use a public range I'm liucky enough to have my own at home. Although that new recoil pad sounds like the way to go. Fordman
I'd really loook at keeping her shooting the 6.5X55, It will shoot moose and stuff just fine, but I'm biased as i like the 6.5 caliber!

There are some good breaks out there however, the Answer system is just one of many.
Cat
Old 09-10-2007, 09:47 PM

I'm gonna go ahead & say that anything you want to shoot with a .300 can & will get 'er done with an '06. Maybe not out to the extended ranges, but it will cover any typical range in which you are likely Hunting from.

If you decide to keep it, having yourself sight it in, and just let her shoot it when you go Hunting IMO is wrong. She needs to have complete and utter confidence in the Rifle, and just shooting it 5-10 times a year aint gonna work!

If it were me, and she just had to have it. I would install a Decel or Sims pad, maybe put a Mercury compensator in the Stock, buy a Past shooting pad & go from there.

Save your money from the KDF or Brake, invest it in more Ammo & hit the Range. I have guided several Women through the years that have shot alot bigger than a .300.

Practice, practice, practice.......It will likely come around.

If not, do as Cat says, stick with the 6.5, they hammer a pile of Moose with this Chambering in the Norwegian Countries, every year. Personally I wouldnt be afraid to Hunt ANY N. American Game with one.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfic1 View Post
If you decide to keep it, having yourself sight it in, and just let her shoot it when you go Hunting IMO is wrong. She needs to have complete and utter confidence in the Rifle, and just shooting it 5-10 times a year aint gonna work!
Hmmm, each to their own, but my wife Sandi hates range shooting, yet loves hunting. I shoot in all the rifles and she knows the rifle is going to do its job if she does hers. In 30 years she has killed everything she has shot at with only 2 animals (bison, antelope) requiring more than one shot. She has killed critters with everything from a 25/06 to the .375 H&H and of course her beloved 50 cal smokepole. Her longest shot was just short of 250 yards and that is her self imposed limit and I don't argue. The worst thing you can do is push a fellow hunter outside their comfort range when shooting. She carries a range finder and I tell where each gun is sighted in at. She has absolutely no concerns about the gun and concentrates completely on making the kill. I do this same service for a couple of buddies, sight the rifle and check it once a year or when ever they want it done. They all say that they enjoy hunting so much more NOT worrying about where their gun is shooting. Some people don't get range shooting, I don't get golf.
While our system may not work for everyone the fact is it does work and extremely well for us.
Everyone will give you advice based on their life experience's and everyone will usually be a little bit right, you need to figure out what will work for you.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:12 PM

Seems like alot of people I've had the displeasure of shooting beside using brakes, never bother with such mundane things like a properly fitting stock, recoil pad or even a good shooting position.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy ike View Post
Seems like alot of people I've had the displeasure of shooting beside using brakes, never bother with such mundane things like a properly fitting stock, recoil pad or even a good shooting position.

X2 ike
Old 09-12-2007, 09:07 AM

Ironically though, stock work may or may not solve it, a recoil pad may or may not solve it, as too with shooting position, a muzzle break will most likley solve the problem.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
a muzzle break will most likley solve the problem.
Or create its own NEW one!!

I believe that for MOST people, if you have a good shooting position, & are holding/mounting a Rifle with an appropriate Stock design, that physical pain does not really exist.

I also believe that, the majority of poor groups or poor shooting at anything, can be blamed on anticipated muzzle blast more that felt recoil. Physically speaking, unless you are shooting a whole bunch in one session, recoil shouldnt hurt (it doesnt to me, or many of the people I know that shoot alot). But there is no getting around the noise, and that IMO is where the majority of shooting troubles start.

One thing is for sure, Stock design can & will create or take away felt recoil levels from Rifle to Rifle of the same Chambering. So too will a premium Pad. These are known facts, which in the end will only help a person shoot better, & these 2 items will have a direct bearing on "Felt recoil".

Like I said before, save the money & put it towards ammo for more range time & keep on practicing.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:37 PM

Never said there was no downside, just that is really effective in reducing recoil, probably gives you the single best improvement, but it does have a cost.

And I fully agree about shooting position, in normal hunting positions recoil is not an issue. my only regret with my muzzle break is that it is not removable, because I would pull it for hunting to lessen the damage from a shot without plugs.

Though the reality is that even without a brake that one shot at a deer damages our hearing.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Gone Hunting

I shoot a brake on a 7mm. It definatly has improved my shooting with this rig since i had it installed. The recoil was abit too much for me with this particular rifle when i had time to get sat down and spend time with it. I shoot better now than i ever did, i can shoot all day now, and the time i get to spend with my rifle is hard fought for. Yip, its loud, and i too have sustained a degree of hearing loss, we are tested yearly at work, and my left ear has seen irreperable damage. This is the only draw back i have seen in my particular situation.
I dont wanna sound rash.....But Cat, as far as shooting at the range goes.......If some moron is too slow to pack a set of muffs or plugs to the rge when they themselves are going shooting....HMMMM. Dont complain about a braked rifle being used at an outdoor 500 yard range.....its a gun range, and there are probuably gonna be all kinds of rigs being used there. Would you get choked up at a guy for shooting a 10 guage off beside you during a goose shoot??? Probuably a bad comparison, but, if someone has deduced their situation down to the fact that a brake might be a help in a certain situation, I say go hard. The only things i care about while sharing a range session with someone else is, courtesy, and cleanliness. Though i will say........I also disagree with the whole freedom of choice thing.....I think we all should have to drive Fords!!!!

keep a strain on er.