Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-13-2007, 09:02 PM

Exclamation Don't try this at home, the range, or anywhere!!

The guys at lock and load have already bit their lips on this one, and some of the firearms safety instructors have gotten some of the evidence, so I might as well tell the public at large, to hopefully save someone from financial outlay, or worse, injury or death.

I have a 7mm rem mag, and my good buddy has a 270. We both picked up two boxes of federal premium barnes tsx each. Can you see it coming?

Buddy shot his 270, and it was my turn. I loaded my rifle, and shot 3 shots.
The grouping was high and to the right, but looked ok otherwise. I then looked at the shells on the ground, and the right side of my stock. THe shells had split open, the primers had blown out, and the stock had broken, exposing the workings of the rifle. YUP....YOU GUESSED IT...270 in 7 mm rem mag. The good news is the rifle was a good rifle, and took the expelled gasses, wrecking the stock, but not me. I may still have a rifle that can be used, with a new stock, depending on if there wasn't too much expansion in the chamber. Please check the cartridges CAREFULLY before you shoot.

John
Old 09-13-2007, 09:14 PM
s_buffalo

Oh MAN! Thank heavens you're OK.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:26 PM

Its a really good thing your ok but I do have to ask. How did you not notice that something wasn't quite right on the first shot??
Old 09-13-2007, 09:56 PM

Good question

I have asked myself.

The sounds were the same
The grouping was good
I was focusing on the target, and not the shells as they ejected. And they ejected fine.

This was also the first time someone with me was shooting the same bullets. Usually I am the only one shooting tsx.

Lets just say from now on, I am VERY careful.

I also want to say that the Browning BBR rifle and the three lug system basically saved me from injury.

John
Old 09-13-2007, 10:19 PM

recoil should have been the first thing noticed I would of thought. 270 and 7mm there is a little difference there. all in all its a damn good thing you were shooting a browning and not a savage or something.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly & Beth View Post
a damn good thing you were shooting a browning and not a savage or something.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:42 AM

I'vgbe seen a 30/30 shot in a M99 savage in 308 Win.
Interesting shape after, very little neck!
The guy had the mag. out and the powder blast sprayed out the bottom and bounced of the bench into his face!
Cat
Old 09-14-2007, 07:34 AM

HMM my other three rifles are a Stevens 200 in 30-06, a Savage 340C in 30-30, and a 99e in 308 win, that I just picked up at P & D.

I hope the Browning can be repaired.

Again, I just want to let people know that a senior moment can cost people severely!

John
Old 09-14-2007, 07:36 AM

Good thing you're safe, I would have thought the firing pin wouldn't have touched the primer on the slightly shorter skinnier case of the .270 but there ya go!
Old 09-14-2007, 09:23 AM

I shoot several different Cartridges. I have developed a somewhat "paranoia" of exactly what happened to you.

I do several visual checks before shooting. I ensure all the Brass that goes in the Tumbler are headstamped the same, then I recheck them after resizing, then after seating primers, I check again. Plus every single rounds gets looked at before hitting my Chamber or Magazine.......a little bit anal, but I hope it saves me some grief down the road.

I am glad to hear you are OK
Old 09-14-2007, 09:47 AM

I've got a similar paranoia I've started color coding the ammo on the headstamp with felt markers works for me , Ya just need several colors & mr jiff marker is your friend
Old 09-14-2007, 04:01 PM

Had a buddy fireform a 243Win in his 7RM. sounded like a firecracker in a drain pipe, Case did'nt survive the encounter too well, rifle was fine.
Two near identical rifles same model, scope LOP just one was a long action the other a short action.
Big wake up call from that point on, I only keep one MTM box on the bench at any time, check and re check.
Keep your mind on task as they say.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-15-2007, 12:25 PM

That was a close one, jeez.. Its lucky(if we can use that word in this situation) that you were shooting a quality rifle that held up.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:42 AM

Thankyou all for your great tips, and heartfelt relief for my safely dodging this senior moment. I for one, will not be putting more than one box of differing calibers on the table at any one time. When I sited in the 30-30, 308 and 30-06, the only caliber near the bench rest was the specific one for the rifle to be fired. All other ammo was on the table back where the rifles were in the rifle rack. In this case, a little obsessive compulsive disorder is warranted in my opinion. The jiffy marker on the primer also works well to indicate reloads.