Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by linemanpete View Post
When there is sustained overfishing, changes in species composition and biodiversity can occur with progressive reduction of large, long-lived, and high value predator species and the increase in small, short-lived, and lower value pelagic and demersal prey species, a process described*as 'fishing down the food chain'. Important macroscopic changes have been observed in many ecosystems such as the North Sea, Yellow Sea, North Atlantic (e.g. George's Bank and Barents Sea), Gulf of Thailand, and southeastern Australia. Intensive fishing can also*reduce genetic diversity of wild populations (e.g. rapidly depressing the proportion of fast growing and late spawning individuals) and changes*in species composition or dominance can also be provoked through competition for food between fisheries and marine apical predators.
http://www.fao.org/fishery/topic/12273/en
very nice post but it answers nothing Perch are a prolithic breeding fast growing fish they can go from fry to harvest size in one year they can live 10 years but most often 5 years so the depletion of larger perch are replenished by the following year. the stunting occurs when several factor happen. the depletion of predators, the reduction of food, the down sizing of habitat. none of which are happening at cross there is no reason to think there will be any long term affect of perch at cross. It always amazes my how when the bite turns off or size diminishes people cry overfished. The fish are there you just have to be smarter then them to find and catch them.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:38 PM

Another update, Was there again today and only caught 4 keepers and not too much on the camera. They were not swimming active at all. I did manage to land a 27 inch jack .
Old 02-16-2012, 10:06 PM

When will there a size limit on perch, I get so sick of seeing people keep 8" perch by the pail full, no wander why there are no good perch lakes left in alberta. I keep hearing about Nakamun and Cross, and how they are limiting out in an hour, not hard when keeping 6-8"ers. If they made a size limit of 10" the lakes would finally start producing better perch. Or if they don't want a size limit, lower the bag limit to 5, that would make more people stay home
Old 02-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer17 View Post
When will there a size limit on perch, I get so sick of seeing people keep 8" perch by the pail full, no wander why there are no good perch lakes left in alberta. I keep hearing about Nakamun and Cross, and how they are limiting out in an hour, not hard when keeping 6-8"ers. If they made a size limit of 10" the lakes would finally start producing better perch. Or if they don't want a size limit, lower the bag limit to 5, that would make more people stay home
so by taking all the 10" and above that leaves all the small fish that will make bigger fish how?
Old 02-17-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linemanpete View Post
When there is sustained overfishing, changes in species composition and biodiversity can occur with progressive reduction of large, long-lived, and high value predator species and the increase in small, short-lived, and lower value pelagic and demersal prey species, a process described*as 'fishing down the food chain'. Important macroscopic changes have been observed in many ecosystems such as the North Sea, Yellow Sea, North Atlantic (e.g. George's Bank and Barents Sea), Gulf of Thailand, and southeastern Australia. Intensive fishing can also*reduce genetic diversity of wild populations (e.g. rapidly depressing the proportion of fast growing and late spawning individuals) and changes*in species composition or dominance can also be provoked through competition for food between fisheries and marine apical predators.
http://www.fao.org/fishery/topic/12273/en
I have been fishing cross lake for the past 4 years and one change I have noticed is the catch size and rate for northern pike in the lake. In previous years I would go and chach quite a few pike in 1 day and usually be able to pull one or two out that were over 5 lbs. So far this year the biggest pike I have caught is 4 lbs and I mostly see small pike on my underwater camera. I think that the high fishing pressure and 3 fish limit has hit the pike population really hard and that might be why we are seeing more perch in the lake than in previous years. ...... just my observation and I don't usually target pike.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdoc View Post
very nice post but it answers nothing Perch are a prolithic breeding fast growing fish they can go from fry to harvest size in one year they can live 10 years but most often 5 years so the depletion of larger perch are replenished by the following year. the stunting occurs when several factor happen. the depletion of predators, the reduction of food, the down sizing of habitat. none of which are happening at cross there is no reason to think there will be any long term affect of perch at cross. It always amazes my how when the bite turns off or size diminishes people cry overfished. The fish are there you just have to be smarter then them to find and catch them.
Very well wrote. Anyone doing a little research on perch on the internet would see you are completly correct.