Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: DO YOU READ THE REG'S? (sneaky poll)
Yes, always 168 87.96%
What Reg's? 9 4.71%
GFYSBG (null) 14 7.33%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2013, 12:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I wish we could get a couple more down here in the south.
You may get your wish because there are several (3 more I think) that are currently being considered for "quality" fisheries......all around MH.

Up here the same group have their eyes on Dolberg, which already has +"quality" sized trout in it, and some in the Cold Lake region.

If you are strictly a fly fisherman and/or a C&R angler this might be good news to you but to the average angler that likes to icefish, keep fish to eat and having the choice of fishing with bait or not,......not so much.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
You may get your wish because there are several (3 more I think) that are currently being considered for "quality" fisheries......all around MH.

Up here the same group have their eyes on Dolberg, which already has +"quality" sized trout in it, and some in the Cold Lake region.

If you are strictly a fly fisherman and/or a C&R angler this might be good news to you but to the average angler that likes to icefish, keep fish to eat and having the choice of fishing with bait or not,......not so much.
Where did you hear that Dave?

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-25-2013, 12:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm going to do a search and get back to the thread with names of the lakes. I'm almost certain that it was 3 because when I read it I checked the names on a map and they were all around Medicine Hat. I also found out about Dolberg in my stomping grounds and the ones up in the Cold Lake from the same webpage. I may have even posted the info on here so I'm going to start my search to check the threads that I started.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Don't hold your breath waiting for them to consult you.....Just ask the folks that used to fish Police Lake!

This is from 2011 but don't think for a second that it's gone away from behind the scenes......You know, with the folks that do the "consulting".

Oh, this is just for trout lakes. I don't know of any organization similar to Trout Unlimited for Pike and Walleye.

SRD / Quality Stocked Fisheries in Alberta 2011 Update and Status

http://srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/F...Sep28-2011.pdf

Prairies Area
Potential new QSF’s, subject to evaluation and public consultation: Boehlke’s lake, Goldspring Park Pond, Tyrrell Lake, and New Dayton Rod and Gun Club Pond.

Woodlands
Consideration of Dolberg Lake as potential QSF, pending consultation.

Smoky Area
 No official QSF’s, but Swan is under proposal

Foothills Area
Muskiki reporting high use, size of Brook Trout dropping at 40cm; proposal to modify regulations to enhance size.
Pit 44 proposed for addition in 2012.

Summary
 Total of 17 QSF Lakes provincially
8 new lakes proposed
 5 Areas undertaking monitoring
Old 03-25-2013, 08:51 AM

I keep regs in the truck and read them. Got checked twice yesterday with fish measured. Good thing I read the regs, and that the smallest RMWF I measuerd and kept (last for yesterday and this ice season) was legal, even though smaller than I thought it was when measured it first time .
9 years in the US and 3.5 in Alberta I was checked 3 times, 2 of them yesterday .
Old 03-25-2013, 10:11 AM

Always good to see what's new & I like to look at the pictures, too!

This one particularly ... "Caught my Eye" ..... does it look like that to you ?

Zip ...

Close-Up - "Can't see - Can You" ?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:49 PM

LOL, Zip. "Caught my Eye", indeed!
The regs are by far my most important item when it comes to fishing. I usually carry extras and give them to people who obviously don't read the regs before hitting their fishing spots.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I just watch the board, if there are any changes I should know about, somebody will be bitching about it.
x2. The basics don't really change from year to year and if I'm going someplace intending to keep some fish I'll have a peek at the regs for where I'm going to make sure of limits. Otherwise, I just watch for bitching
Old 03-25-2013, 08:33 PM

I was kidding in my previous post that I dont read the regs. I read them all the time not only on the AB regulations site, but also in the paper copy I have.