Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-15-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
Okay, so hypothetically:

So I have full replacement coverage for my truck for 3 years. So in 2014 when my truck is 2.9 years old, I can drive out on the ice in early november, get out and run when the ice starts cracking, and get a check for $40,000 for a new one???? sweet!!!!!!!!
Nope....adjusters take depreciation into account.
If it was less than 24 months old....there's a chance that you would have an endorsement on the policy that would hold it's purchase value.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:55 PM

I am with Royal&Sun Alliance - they told me I am covered for "collision with water" which includes going through ice.
But I suggest everybody to call and talk to own insurance as there might be many small details, exceptions, etc.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
ok hypothetic scenario.....a guy wants a new ride, so he drives on the ice waaaay early and drowns his vehicle, I don't think insurance is going to cover it....

LC
Same deal a guy wants a new ride, takes his truck to a gravel pit, burns it to the ground drinking with some friends, Oh i will add the the sterio installers screwed up the dash lights, any how next day calls it in stolen a lil bit longer in time and bam a new vehicle. This is not a hypothetic situation. What would be the difference if a guys truck went through the ice and he were to get a ride home and call it in as stolen and a "friend" reported seeing it on the lake???? FYI it was not me that burned the truck but a person who I know and I unfriended for taking advantage of the situation.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:30 PM

deleted a post...
Old 12-15-2011, 11:03 PM

In the case of a person who intentionally wrecks a vehicle to collect insurance, whether that is by sinking it into a lake, trashing it and then reporting it stolen, or whatever other means, that would be fraud. So, yes, they might get away with it and collect from the insurance company, but if they were found out they would have to repay the insurance money, plus would be charged with criminal fraud. ALL insurance policies have a disclaimer for fraud. I'm interested only in what happens if your vehicle accidentally goes through the ice and you make an honest claim to your insurance agent.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:55 AM

Adjuster will write off a vehicle if the water gets to the bottom of the dash. This comes from an adjuster friend of mine.
Don't like driving on the ice anymore, flood ice causes issues, snow causes issues falling through causes issues. Parking on land and walking or taking a snowmobile or atv makes way better sense to me now a days.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:41 PM

Very good topic, so much so I phoned my Ins co. found out my boat was insured for sinking

As to going through the ice while fishing, Sorry we don't insure for stupid. haha
Old 12-16-2011, 04:46 PM

Call up ice road truckers to see we're they get insurance?
Old 12-16-2011, 10:21 PM

So I called again to double check after starting this topic. I spoke with the claims dept at meloche and the auto branch. He forwarded me to a Team lead, and yes I do have all perils, my truck and removal would be covered if I was to go through. They are mailing me a copy of a highlited area of my policy specific to my questions.

There are a few exceptions

the first was obviously if I was intoxicated, or any driver of the vehicle was. It doesn't matter if I am off a grid rd or not though.

I am very comfortable that if my truck went through.knock on wood. and not that I would drive on yet anyway, but at least that if it did ever happen, I would be covered.
Brock
Old 01-03-2012, 03:19 PM

Default Email from an insurance buddy

in answer to these questions I asked a buddy over at State Farm.

"As I said on Saturday evening when you brought this up.

In the Province of Alberta, EVERY insurance company has the same policy wording, the S.P.F. No 1. http://www.finance.alberta.ca/public...olicy_2007.pdf

So, no matter what company you go to, the wording is the same.
There is nothing within the policy which excludes off road use.
To the best of my knowledge, there never has been any exclusion of this sort in the policy.
What may be possible is that an individual company may add an endorsement which limits the use. In this case the policy holder would agree to the limitation and it would be included in the policy. An example of this is windshield coverage. EVERY insurance policy in the province of Alberta includes windshield coverage. The individual insurer adds an S.E.F. 13D endorsement which removes windshield coverage. So, you are agreeing to remove coverage which in fact you have. This could be the case for some companies and off road use. I’ve only ever seen it on a Commercial Policy for equipment such as a company tractor at the lake being used on the ice. I’ve attached a link to the current SPF 1 policy. You can look through Section C as well as the Statutory Conditions, you will not find any limits to use for off road.

I hope this helps.

Scott Paulin
Office Manager
State Farm Insurance
W. Chris Law Insurance Agency Ltd.
Agent # 61-3113
Phone: 403-254-2715
Fax: 403-254-2729"