Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-09-2012, 01:27 PM

I bought an Tempest(Green Eskimo) 43cc 8" last winter from Costco. It also did not like the cold at first, but then I cracked off the epoxied on cap covering the mixture screw and opened it about 5/8th of a turn. Turns out they must have set the mixture in hot summer temps, too lean for winter. Runs great now. I just pulled in out of the garage today primed 6 times pulled twice fired right up.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3metro View Post
I bought an Tempest(Green Eskimo) 43cc 8" last winter from Costco. It also did not like the cold at first, but then I cracked off the epoxied on cap covering the mixture screw and opened it about 5/8th of a turn. Turns out they must have set the mixture in hot summer temps, too lean for winter. Runs great now. I just pulled in out of the garage today primed 6 times pulled twice fired right up.
I am thinking if picking one of these up....any chance you can take a pic of the screw?.....I don't have it yet but when I do I might have to adjust!

Thanks!

LC
Old 12-09-2012, 01:44 PM

Its hiding under a big orange cap on the top of the carb. Its a bit of a pain to get to. You have to take the air filter off and 2 screws holding the top plastic shroud. Now the orange cap still serves a purpose, it prevents the mixture screw from rotating on its own from engine vibrations so once you have it set it needs to go back on.

Last edited by t3metro; 12-09-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:42 PM

Thank you very very much for taking the time to show me that!

LC
Old 12-09-2012, 06:54 PM

Thank you for this! Had mine out today and it was not cooperating, hope this will do the trick!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:59 PM

FYI, for anyone looking for an auger Costco.ca has these Tempest 43cc augers (these are actually Eskimo Mako augers just rebranded for Costco) on sale right now for $299.00 ($50 savings from regular), works out to ~$315.00 and includes to your door shipping.

LC
Old 12-09-2012, 08:32 PM

Got an old Jiffy 30 , not flashy , not fancy , 2 stroke smoke & smell but it has never let me down . For what its worth , I vote Jiffy
Old 12-09-2012, 10:00 PM

I used the crap out of my propane powered Jiffy last year. Everyone around me comented on how easy it was to start, and use. No priming. just pull to start and go.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3metro View Post
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but been looking for exactly this information for a while now. I bought a Rapala Nitro from CanTire last spring on sale (same Eskimo rebrand), and it bogs at wide open throttle under load. Even at 2/3's throttle, it still cuts pretty fast, but I've heard letting it run lean too long can be hard on the piston and cylinder. Lots of folks saying adjust the mixture screw, but this is the first place anyone has said how. Awesome guide to follow with the pictures.

t3metro, if you happen to read this, a couple of quick questions. Is the cap just a tension fit and pops back off and back on pretty easy? I put a decent amount of pressure on mine and it didn't want to budge so I quit before breaking anything. Also, how did you decided on 5/8's of a turn? I guess each auger will require a different amount of tuning, just not sure how to gauge how much is enough.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish face View Post
I have a frabil 4 man and its been great, love it. got a eskimo viper 10" auger last december. starts everytime no matter the temp. fired up first pull in sept with last years gas. but right outta the box its gutless. within a month if buying it im in trouble. taking me way to long to get a hole. getting bailed out by buddies with 4 year old blades on jiffys.
taking it in for a warranty tune up. hope it fixes my problem. if it'd drill as good as it starts
itd be the best auger ever.
I had no complains about my z71, but it looked like it was running rich - black plug, any choke killed it at any temperature, smoked more I than I thought it should - it still drilled OK. I called Eskimo explained the situation and asked for instructions to lean the mixture a bit- runs great now.
Blades I had to replace once after I drilled through some dirty ice on Travers, second set is running strong for 1.5 seasons.
I would buy it again, great auger
Old 02-04-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Eskimo auger with the viper engine, you can't beat it. I got the 10" with 71cc viper engine and that thing will twist a 200lb man around the hole on glare ice. Never had a problem with it starting and I was out in -30 a couple times last year and high winds. Just remember to push the decompression thingy and give er 3 pumps on the primer and BAM she fires right up every time. Awesome, I will never buy another type of auger.
Runs great....blades are suspect IMO
I just carry spares for not when but if I go thru dirty ice.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303enfield View Post
I have a strikemaster and will never purchase another one!!! Aftermarket service is non-existent. I will say it was a great unit until I needed parts for it.... Go with a jiffy!!!
Eskimo warranty service and parts service are excellent...
My Z71 carb messed up after a drop in cold weather and they replaced it no questions asked.
Order parts off their website easy too.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
Eskimo warranty service and parts service are excellent...
My Z71 carb messed up after a drop in cold weather and they replaced it no questions asked.
Order parts off their website easy too.
I had a Viper powered Eskimo when they first came out. It gave me lots of trouble, parts availibilty was horrible, and service was non existant. For a while it was pretty comon to see "factory refurbished" units on sale for a reduced price at the local Crappy Tire, probably meaning they were getting alot of them returned on warenty.

That being said at this point they very well may be the best option. Presumably they should have got head start on everyone else for working the bugs out of their engine.

I bought a Techumseh powered Jiffy the last year they made them, hoping by the time I couldnt get parts any more sombody would be making a decent auger again. Deffinatly not regretting that decision, it takes a little "touch" and a few extra pulls to get mine started sometimes but it has punched thousands of holes without so much as a hickup. If I still had my Eskimo I would trade it to the OP for his old Jiffy without thinking twice.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:59 AM

Default Strikemaster with honda 4 stroke powerhead

I spent last weekend perforating a few northern lakes with my new strikemaster ( Honda engine) and so far I love it, starts easy and drills effortlessly although you do have to let it warm up for a minute or two when you first fire it up.