Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-06-2013, 12:57 PM

Default Getting whites to bite

When i go ice fishing for them it seems like i have a decent location with plenty of fish around, its getting them to show interest in my hooks, hardly ever switch from the wireworm but willing to try anything at this point.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:12 PM

try stirring the bottom up by bouncing your hook off the bottom which sometimes wakes them up
Old 12-06-2013, 01:33 PM

Try a maggot or two on they wireworm and make sure your wire worm is sitting as horizontal as possible!
Old 12-06-2013, 01:40 PM

Horizontal wire worm is key, try 4lb flourocarbon as well. I also find working the entire water colomn.

If all else fails stop paying attention when fishing, the whites have a way of showing up when you least expect it!
Old 12-06-2013, 02:05 PM

here is a good read I agree with writer

remember too be the bug ..I use the backswimmer jerk... stop and repeat
http://social.thefishinhole.com/inde...&articleId=120

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidsburyBowHunter View Post
When i go ice fishing for them it seems like i have a decent location with plenty of fish around, its getting them to show interest in my hooks, hardly ever switch from the wireworm but willing to try anything at this point.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Try a maggot or two on they wireworm and make sure your wire worm is sitting as horizontal as possible!
x2
Old 12-06-2013, 02:49 PM

interesting!! i have never really paid attention how horizontally my wire worm was. will have to give that a try!!!
Old 12-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Banned

It most definitely needs to be horizontal. My first time out i didn't know this and failed miserably... Usually, you will get a few very hungry stragglers that will seem to have darted out of nowhere across your hole and take your lure, but the majority of them will passively swim right by unless your presentation is right at the level of their eyes. When they do take interest in your hook, they will often take several bites in 1 lunge before fully taking the lure in. So don't get too excited and set the hook too too fast

I've never tried tipping with maggots, but I've been pretty successful without it anyways.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:43 PM

Very very very important tip from 2 Old Guys Ice Fishing

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidsburyBowHunter View Post
interesting!! i have never really paid attention how horizontally my wire worm was. will have to give that a try!!!
Old 12-06-2013, 04:05 PM

I use a small green and black spoon. Frog

They hammer that thing hard
Old 12-06-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ques View Post
I use a small green and black spoon. Frog

They hammer that thing hard
X2 with a wax worm fake or real
Old 12-06-2013, 05:06 PM

At Lac St Anne we used to bounce a 00 copper len thompson on the bottom and in Wabamum this sounds crazy but a copper wire worm with a fresh dab of red nail polish on hook at the bend. Not sure what it was about the polish but they would come in and slam it.
Horizontal wire worm was also the key. Vertical and they ignored it.

Last edited by Rockjockey; 12-06-2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 12-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Banned

just wondering do you keep jigging when you see them come in I find that a lot of times it spooks them. and they will turn at the last second. try keeping the wire worm still see if that works
Old 12-06-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger View Post
just wondering do you keep jigging when you see them come in I find that a lot of times it spooks them. and they will turn at the last second. try keeping the wire worm still see if that works
X2 that's right
Old 12-07-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger View Post
No not really, i usually keep it still, maybe drop it a pinch, I have been fishing for them for a couple of years, i just know i could produce better numbers than in previous trips. thanks for all the suggestions guys.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:07 AM

For whites I use a pink wireworm tipped with a waxworm. In 2005 I used this on Wabamun and limited out on whites in 10min. It was kinda funny the old guy that was fishing a few feet from me got out of his tent and came over after the third whitefish hit the ice. Gave him a spare wireworm and the rest of my waxworms before I went home.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Banned

horizobtal placement is key. lube gear with the wd40 or liquid wrench. keep jigging thru biting action. do not stop. when they are more dormant. grab a stick and stir up bottom of hole until it is cloudy. this makes them active as they sense a pike in area. they hit hard for about 30 min. when it slows down stir hole again
Old 12-07-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slew View Post
horizobtal placement is key. lube gear with the wd40 or liquid wrench. keep jigging thru biting action. do not stop. when they are more dormant. grab a stick and stir up bottom of hole until it is cloudy. this makes them active as they sense a pike in area. they hit hard for about 30 min. when it slows down stir hole again
dont use WD40 or liquid wrench.

buy scent that's not going to polute.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Banned

wd40 is all you need. keeps your gear nice and rust free. not sure how wiping a marshmellow on your reel will keep it running smooth. but hey if it works for ya then fill your shorts
Old 12-07-2013, 03:32 PM

Considering WD40 is a cleaner and not a lubricant, I'll leave that to you. Please dont pollute the lakes.be most appreciated.

The insides of my reels get a shot of motorcycle chain lube. Works killer.

Also FYI. Prey fish don't suddenly feed more aggressively if they sense a predator around... Stirring up the bottom with something nice n flashy tricks whites into thinking another white is feeding. Being schooling fish, its in their best interest to see what the hubub is about and get in on the foraging.

To the OP, fish shallow. 10-12 ft max. Shallower later in the season.

Gold, red, and yellow are your tickets. Try different combos.

4 lb mono or flouro is great.

80% of the time the whites are camera shy.

Whites are attracted to flash. If youre not seeing any, drop a Thompson 4 or a Williams down, bounce bottom, and jig the crap out of it for 15-30 secs. (Hang on, because you might just trip that 25 lb gator that scared off all the fish.) Reel in, switch rods, and drop your WW, bell, or spoon down immediatly.

Landed over 200 whites last winter. (Threw a lot back).

Tight lines!

"Dry Hooks Don't Catch Fish"
Old 12-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Banned

the wd40 I use is a good lubricant. you must have bought the wrong can. ya the stirring up the bottoms works great for white. I usally limit out in a couple of hours. yellow wworms. I once limited out in twenty minutes at wabanum. all by stirring the bottom. it makes them think a pike is near and they scatter then on the way back they bite
Old 12-07-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slew View Post
wd40 is all you need. keeps your gear nice and rust free. not sure how wiping a marshmellow on your reel will keep it running smooth. but hey if it works for ya then fill your shorts
I thought you were using WD40 as scent for your hooks. I've seen other people do it and its poluting.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:31 PM

I sometimes use a jiggin rap. I get the smallest silver or perch coloured one and it catches whites. Perch, pike and walleye will also hit it.

Wireworms are probably better, but the jiggin rap works good and it allows you to catch other species at the same time.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:19 AM

If your jigging and a fish comes in for a look, don't stop jiging. If your hook is still and a fish comes in for a look, don't move the hook. Keep doing what your doing. I like to twitch my hook, hold the line in the fingers and maybe move the finger about 1/4" to 1/2" so that the wire worm makes a tiny dart, Do this for 5 to 10 sec pause for 20 sec and repeat. As said before, hook horizontal is a must, and very your depth in the water columb untill you find the depth they are at.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:12 AM

Never caught a lake white before and would love to this year! Some great discussion on this thread. Question how do you keep your wire worm horizontal? Is there a special type? I've used the wire worm flies before with no luck but I'm pretty sure they stayed vertical without any current. Thanks!
Old 12-09-2013, 09:34 AM

Tie the wire worm on as tight as you can. Then simply grab the line and turn the hook sideways till it lays horizontal. If you have tied it tight you may have to adjust it occasionally, otherwise it may constantly hang down. No real trick with knots, etc. Another trick: previous posters have indicated depth and color choices. They are correct. I put on 3 different colored wire worms spaced about 1 1/2 feet to 2 feet apart. Tie the top 2 flies on with the Palomar knot. Hope this helps. BEL
Old 12-09-2013, 10:45 AM

Does this technic help with perch too ? I've never tried putting my lure horizontal.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:44 AM

Yes pretty much with all fish.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledroptine View Post
Does this technic help with perch too ? I've never tried putting my lure horizontal.
Yup...
Everyone seems to use wire worms, but for both perch and wf these were our "go to" hooks.... horizontal with the hook (concave side) up and tipped with a maggot or two.
Concave side up makes them swim when jigged... dad use to call them russian hooks. Something like these but we used silver with a dab of red just where the hook bends away from the body:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...q_m9bIz2xMrqAA

Consider that my Christmas present to everyone, as I have never seen them mentioned here (though they probaly have been).

PS: Always make sure your maggot(s) are fresh... ie: change them after 20/30 minutes.

Last edited by drhu22; 12-09-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:15 PM

Great stuff guys! One more question, i used to fish with just one wireworm then have a little split shot about a foot and a half above for weight. if you were to tie more than one on at different depths what would be the best way to do it?