Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2015, 07:40 AM
Banned

Default Fishing cold lake

Headed out to old lake today to try out my new downriggers.

I got a question though, I only have 4lb cannon balls, will they be heavy enough? A fellow AO member suggested to use 10-12lb cannon balls, I'm wondering if I can make the 4lb balls work, if there are any members who actually use 4lb cannon balls?
Old 06-12-2015, 07:52 AM

I think a light cannonball does present ONLY one advantage - it's easier to get up and down (if you down rigger is manual).

If your down rigger is electric, there is zero advantage, but a bunch of down sides to having a lighter ball so why not use a 8 or 10 lb ball?

A lighter ball will "blow out" more - meaning it will run further back at a greater angle, so you won't be able to "load up" your rod as well. This will result in a less explosive hook set from your release and maybe not drive the hook into the fishes mouth as well.

On a lighter ball - It will also be slightly harder for the fish to pull the release free (as it's more likely to pull the ball back).

The other thing to consider is the angle when thinking of trying to run precisely at an accurate or specific depth - with the blow out - the straighter down you are (with a heavier ball) the better your estimate of actual depth your ball (and subsequently your lure) is running.

On a 10 lb ball, with 100 feet of cable out, at 2.5 to 3 mph - your ball is down about 82-85 feet. That's 15%-18% different - and I can see it on my sonar - so I am assured I'm getting the presentation down to where I want it.

With a 4 lb ball - even with my transducer tipped back - it might be too far behind the boat to see the sonar trail.

Although a 4 lb ball will get it done - I'd suggest you go with a bigger ball for those reasons.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:05 AM
Banned

Thanks EZM,

I'm using a 4lb ball because that's all I have, they came with the downriggers. They are manual riggers but even a 10lb ball wouldn't be an issue to lift. Ill maybe pop into exile and see if they have anything on sale there. Hard to believe the cost of a chunk of lead.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:22 AM

better off to stop in Edmonton before you leave or poachers corner in glendon or sylvesters in bonnyville. Exsile in cold lake is closing and I doubt has any cannon balls.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Headed out to old lake today to try out my new downriggers.

I got a question though, I only have 4lb cannon balls, will they be heavy enough? A fellow AO member suggested to use 10-12lb cannon balls, I'm wondering if I can make the 4lb balls work, if there are any members who actually use 4lb cannon balls?
That will be heavy enough for sure.
Forecast is wet and cool temperatures so be prepared.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-13-2015, 10:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
That will be heavy enough for sure.
Forecast is wet and cool temperatures so be prepared.
I can handle the wet, 4' rollers crashing over the bow is another story though, especially when it's just me and my 12yr old.

I tried to get out yesterday, but it turned out to be a fight against destiny from the word go. Kid had to get pizza at school before we could leave so had to wait until 11, smashed out windshield on the boat 20km out of Edmonton so 2 o'clock by the time I replaced that, after fixing that we get to the lake, launch the boat, no power to my fuse panel, no sonar, bilge or aerator. 4' whitecaps crashing over the bow, I called it and headed home without dropping a line. Really wanted to try out the downriggers, but happy we made it home alive!

Maybe next time.....
Old 06-13-2015, 12:41 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
I can handle the wet, 4' rollers crashing over the bow is another story though, especially when it's just me and my 12yr old.

I tried to get out yesterday, but it turned out to be a fight against destiny from the word go. Kid had to get pizza at school before we could leave so had to wait until 11, smashed out windshield on the boat 20km out of Edmonton so 2 o'clock by the time I replaced that, after fixing that we get to the lake, launch the boat, no power to my fuse panel, no sonar, bilge or aerator. 4' whitecaps crashing over the bow, I called it and headed home without dropping a line. Really wanted to try out the downriggers, but happy we made it home alive!

Maybe next time.....
Jeeesh the fishing gods had a hate on for you...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-13-2015, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Jeeesh the fishing gods had a hate on for you...
No kidding. Either that or the knew it was a bad day to be on the lake so they were trying to tell me to stay home.

Next trip can only be better.... Hopefully!
Old 06-13-2015, 01:12 PM

I have a 18'8" alumacraft with a 150 on it. I have been in some big water before but if the forecast for cold says any wind 30km/hr or more, especially gusting, I wont even bother going to see how bad it is.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
I have a 18'8" alumacraft with a 150 on it. I have been in some big water before but if the forecast for cold says any wind 30km/hr or more, especially gusting, I wont even bother going to see how bad it is.
The forecast was calling for 14-19km/hr winds. They lied.

I wish I knew someone there I could check with before burning $140 in fuel driving there and back.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:04 PM

You should have carried on up the highway to Rock Island. That lake is manageable in the wind.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye101 View Post
You should have carried on up the highway to Rock Island. That lake is manageable in the wind.
What's in that lake for fish?
Old 06-13-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
The forecast was calling for 14-19km/hr winds. They lied.

I wish I knew someone there I could check with before burning $140 in fuel driving there and back.
Call the air port there
Old 06-13-2015, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Call the air port there
That's a heck of a plan, thank you.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
That's a heck of a plan, thank you.
No problem.

For what's worth I don't think I would use cannon balls less than 8 lbs. If you have an electric that can handle 12 pounders that's what I would go with. I currently have 10 lb fish shaped ones but that was because I could not find 12 lb fish shaped ones around here. Shipping them in would have been to expensive for me.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:49 PM

Walleye in Rock Island
Old 06-13-2015, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
No problem.

For what's worth I don't think I would use cannon balls less than 8 lbs. If you have an electric that can handle 12 pounders that's what I would go with. I currently have 10 lb fish shaped ones but that was because I could not find 12 lb fish shaped ones around here. Shipping them in would have been to expensive for me.
I thought I had 4lb cannon balls, but I stopped in at exile while I was there, all they had was 8lb balls left so I grabbed a couple. Once I got to the lake I brought them to my boat and find out I had 8lb balls to begin with. I now have a spare set in case I rip one off!
Old 06-13-2015, 08:24 PM

Rock island lake is on a totally different hyw.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:18 AM
Banned

Got on this thread late, but...
.... Cnd. tire in Cold lake has a very big selection of downriggers and downrigger gear, including cannonballs.
.... When I fished Cold with -JR- he had an app on his phone that had the wind speeds/direction for Cold. Was very accurate and you can check before you go.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Got on this thread late, but...
.... Cnd. tire in Cold lake has a very big selection of downriggers and downrigger gear, including cannonballs.
.... When I fished Cold with -JR- he had an app on his phone that had the wind speeds/direction for Cold. Was very accurate and you can check before you go.
What is good about this site it tells you the hour the wind will start ,so you can get off the lake before it happens .
Still trying to figure out how big the waves are at cold lake at a given wind speed.
Cold lake- big white caps at 20km winds.
http://www.windfinder.com
Old 06-14-2015, 06:16 PM
Banned

Thanks for the tips guys. It's nice to know, and will definitely save me time and money.

Got the boat all fixed up, downriggers ready, now just have to play the wind right and I'll be out there for another round. Hopefully even be able to get a line wet!
Old 06-14-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
What is good about this site it tells you the hour the wind will start ,so you can get off the lake before it happens .
Still trying to figure out how big the waves are at cold lake at a given wind speed.
Cold lake- big white caps at 20km winds.
http://www.windfinder.com

a big thanks JR, the windfinder is the best app for boaters.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:22 PM

If cold lake Is blown out , can always try Marie, Ethel , Hilda , Crane , all within about 20 minutes and still fishable
Old 06-14-2015, 08:25 PM

Default Downrigger weights

Make your own weights by filling aluminum cans alittle taller than a standard pop can with lead. Before you pour the molten lead remove the top. Put in an eye in the top of the can from a piece of clothes hanger wire before the lead sets and your good to go. (9.9 lb ) For more specific information look up DIY downrigger weights on the web.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:40 PM
Banned

This thread just keeps getting better.

I have 1-1/2 5gallon pales of lead tire weights and a roll of sheet lead if anyone is interested in making some cannon balls I'll share my lead if you'll help make some.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:31 PM

Last year was my first trip to Cold. Found out very quickly that it doesn't take a whole lot of wind to make 3'+ rollers. I have a 20' Lund Alaskan and it didn't take me very long to become uncomfortable out there. It was very interesting trying to load out with those kind of waves coming sideways to the launch. You know when it's breaking over the dock that it's time to get off.....there were guys going out when we came in, they apparently have a bigger tolerance than me.

I can't remember how heavy my downrigger balls are. My downriggers are hand-crank Scottys-I can't remember the model but they're the ones that the winch handle can be telescoped out to make retrieving heavy balls easier. At some point in time I'll upgrade to electrics but for the amount of downrigger fishing I do these will work for now. I'm going to check out that DIY link.

Exsile is closing out up there? That's too bad-I really liked that place and was looking forward to going back in on the next trip. We're booked in around the long weekend in September again for a week in the PP to try our luck again.

Jason
Old 06-15-2015, 08:09 AM

On a big lake wind of 10 km / hr is choppy

15 km / hr begins to form the occasional white cap and it's not easy to stay on course

at 20 km / hr is rough and you are getting wet and tossed around ..... could be dangerous for smaller boats

at 25 km / hr - they are coming over the bow and your bilge pump is running and it's time to get off the lake or find a bay. There is no way you are going over 10 mph to get anywhere without smashing your spine over the waves.

I have a mid sized boat - a Lund 18ft Tyee with 150 Honda .... (full canopy and curtains) and anything over 15 km / hr and it's not fun anymore.

I think people underestimate the amount of wind required to make big water rough. I've been tossed around enough to generally stay off bigger lakes at 15 km/hr .... it's simply just not too much fun fighting the wheel the whole time.

If they forecasted winds of 14 km - 19 km /hr - I would have expected white caps and a very rough day.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:34 AM

Definitely need to use your head on Cold Lake. Look at the weather forecast before you hit the water. If high winds are predicted in the afternoon and you are heading out in the morning, you are best off staying close to home. That lake can get horrible with wind. I find the weather forecast very accurate there. Maybe because it's a big military base?
Old 06-15-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye101 View Post
Definitely need to use your head on Cold Lake. Look at the weather forecast before you hit the water. If high winds are predicted in the afternoon and you are heading out in the morning, you are best off staying close to home. That lake can get horrible with wind. I find the weather forecast very accurate there. Maybe because it's a big military base?
Just call range control and request they keep the weather machine off for the day
Old 06-16-2015, 03:43 AM

Quote:
I thought I had 4lb cannon balls, but I stopped in at exile while I was there, all they had was 8lb balls left so I grabbed a couple. Once I got to the lake I brought them to my boat and find out I had 8lb balls to begin with. I now have a spare set in case I rip one off!
You must have been working out. Either that our your trying to convince your friends that all the fish you caught last year were really twice the size you originally told them

Good luck to you out there this season