Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-28-2015, 01:48 PM

Default When do you winterize your boat?

do you guys have a set time of year or do you base it on temp? Also what are you doing to winterize your outboards?
Old 09-28-2015, 01:58 PM
Banned

Do nothing to the outboards. Just make sure the leg oil does not have water showing a milky oil. The air in AB so dry I never fog. Inboards a different story. Make sure you stabilize your fuel with carbs subjected to the mixture. I only try to use fuel without ethanol. Shell premium or Chevron premium.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:00 PM

I like to do mine as close to the end of the year as possible. The less use on the motors after winterizing the better as all the gunk etc doesn't have time to solidify, etc. Fresh oil before sitting idle for 6 months.....sigh...

As far as what I do:
1) change motor oil,
2) change leg oil
3) every few years, change spark plugs (depending on hours)
4) add fuel stabilizer and run motors for 5 minutes or so to run the stabilized fuel into your motors fuel lines. Also, fill the fuel tank as full as you can to minimize chance for condensation build up,
5) turn the ""run engine" switch off, and turn the motor over a few times for a one or two second burst to expel any left over water in your intakes,
6) drain and dry your boat including any compartments, bilge pumps, etc,
7) for storage - bounce sheets are awesome - spread bounce sheets all over potential access points and it will work wonders to repel any mice / unwanted critters
Old 09-28-2015, 02:07 PM

Default etech

end of October usually, Amsoil marine lower end oil change , fuel stabilizer , the outboard i let it auto fog [ fogs and shuts down on its own]i use a garden hose screws right into a water port on the engine, pull batteries and put them on maintenance charger and its done then i put the boat to bed for the winter.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:29 PM

I just did it a half hour ago. Changed the leg oil and put the motor down !! I'll put in stabilizer or siphon the fuel out. I still have tags to fill at Pigion so I have to go one more time.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:37 PM

Great question I'm planning on doing my own this year. I have a legend platinum bar with 150 merc outboard. For the past couple years I've been taking it to the dealer (Coachworks Nisku) to winterize. Last year I dropped it off and they were supposed to call me when ready for pickup and never did. I forgot about it until spring when I called and found out they still had the work order open.. They told me to come pick it up and when I did they charged me $500 and the invoice said "winterize" and "de-winterize" with no other details. I'm pretty sure they didn't do anything because the boat looked exactly the same as when I dropped it off except it was more dusty from sitting in their yard. The motor was still on the mount and looked like had been left up all winter. Luckily there was no damage and all I had to do was top up and bleed the steering fluid since there was play in the steering (something I noticed which they obviously hadn't checked, and they made me do it myself since the technician had already gone home for the day). I normally store my boat on a friends farm over winter which is why it took me so long to realize I never did drop it off.. Anyway, appreciate the info as I'm going to attempt to winterize myself this year
Old 09-28-2015, 05:33 PM

Did mine 3 weeks ago . Time for hunting now.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:00 PM

Will probably put mine away next week.

I will add a bottle of Stabil to the 1/4 tank of fuel that's in the boat right now, and burn as much gas out of the tank as possible this weekend. Once I'm back from likely the last day of fishing on sunday, I will clear out the compartments, turn the heater on in the garage and let everything dry out really well for a couple days. Make sure everything is well greased, take the batteries out, and Then put the travel cover on, a large tarp on top, then park it outside with the tires sitting up on some 2x8 lumber to keep the rubber off the earth.

And that's about all I usually do.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:07 PM

So does anyone go to the extent of doing the plumbing antifreeze thing on an outboard?
Old 09-28-2015, 06:33 PM

Never! Joys of a kayak lol.

For an outboard you want to

a) Change leg oil, if there is water in there you dont want it sitting around rusting.

b) Fill fuel tank and add fuel stabilizer. Run some through engine then disconnect the fuel and run until the motor runs out of fuel. Some people argue to leave stabilized fuel in lines but that is personal choice.

c) Make sure motor hangs vertical after removing from water in order to drain water.

If you are still using outboard while it is freezing temps make sure you do step c every outing.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:40 PM

I have a 4.3 litre mercruiser. Already done as hunting season is upon me. I cut off at sept 30th.

Leg oil change (merc products only)
Motor oil and filter change with stabilizer
Fuel fill with stabilizer (prefer no ethanol)
Spark plugs yearly. (Overkill but whatever)
Power steering flush
Trim pump flush (ATF)
Grease: axels and Gimball bearing
Rv antifreeze thru system via muffs
Rv antifreeze at prop and tape up prop so water can't get in and sit
Fog carb to kill motor when 100% done
Disconnect battery

Clean it up a bit

Tarp and park

SIIIIIGGGGHHHHH
Old 09-28-2015, 08:44 PM

Make sure to charge batteries and keep them off the cold ground ! I actually take them in the house !!
Old 09-29-2015, 07:48 AM

Winterizing my outboard is a 10 minute job really.

1) Toward the end of the season (last few trips) I put in some fuel stabilizer in the tank. I can never tell when the season is over and I often get out as late as November some times when the weather is decent. So around mid October the stabilizer goes into the tank. You want to run your engine for 5-10 minutes to make sure the stabilizer gets through the entire system.

2) Drop the leg and let the water drain out of the leg.

3) Fill (Change Out) the leg gear oil by filling from the bottom port until the fresh grease comes out the top and cap it off.

4) Plug in the on-board charger for the batteries (there is enough current trickling in to keep the batteries from freezing) - I have an unheated attached garage.

That's it ....

The engine oil gets changed every spring at the regular spring run up time. I also re-grease the wheel bearings, engine mount/pivots, etc...
Old 09-29-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Winterizing my outboard is a 10 minute job really.

1) Toward the end of the season (last few trips) I put in some fuel stabilizer in the tank. I can never tell when the season is over and I often get out as late as November some times when the weather is decent. So around mid October the stabilizer goes into the tank. You want to run your engine for 5-10 minutes to make sure the stabilizer gets through the entire system.

2) Drop the leg and let the water drain out of the leg.

3) Fill (Change Out) the leg gear oil by filling from the bottom port until the fresh grease comes out the top and cap it off.

4) Plug in the on-board charger for the batteries (there is enough current trickling in to keep the batteries from freezing) - I have an unheated attached garage.

That's it ....

The engine oil gets changed every spring at the regular spring run up time. I also re-grease the wheel bearings, engine mount/pivots, etc...
So fogging isn't necessary? I'm going to be going through this for the first time right away as well and thought that was an important step.

Would rather not if it's not a must...
Old 09-29-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LutherDLG View Post
So fogging isn't necessary? I'm going to be going through this for the first time right away as well and thought that was an important step.

I don't own an outboard but I would say the better the care the longer she lasts. EZ will have the answer though
Old 09-29-2015, 11:41 AM

I drop the OB motor down.

Change leg oil.

Take out batteries and put em in the basement.

Seems to have worked for me in the last 10 years.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:

I keep my 10hp motor in a heated garage for the winter...I only fog my Ice auger, and pull the plugs when putting away and use seafoam only...in any tank of gas...

I change my leg oil every spring..
Old 09-29-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:

If you leave your boat outside all Fall/Winter/Spring I would recommend fogging which you can also do yourself. Just buy a fogging kit at Princess Auto or Canadian Tire etc, remove the plugs and follow the instructions. If you store it in your garage all winter then it is somewhat optional in my opinion but you can never really go wrong by fogging the engine annually just to be safe.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:

It's not a bad idea for a smaller or older outboard - but if it's a new outboard - the manuals no longer call for fogging the cylinders for over winter storage. Some motors have a "self fogging" routine (turn ignition to left and hold for 5 seconds) kind of thing (mine doesn't).

My Honda manual says - drop and drain leg of water, change our leg gear oil (grease really) and add stabilizer and let it run for a few minutes ..... that's it for most new engines.

The reason you fog your cylinders to to prevent water/moisture from building up in there. If you use a stabilizer (which contains HQ or hydroquinone) and it has run for a few minutes before shut down it's probably not required as HQ has a stable shelf life of 18 to 24 months in your cylinder and would be active in the cylinder head all winter.

Older motors may not be "as airtight" as the seals/rings have aged - so I would likely fog an older engine and increase the HQ load in the fuel just to be safe.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
It's not a bad idea for a smaller or older outboard - but if it's a new outboard - the manuals no longer call for fogging the cylinders for over winter storage. Some motors have a "self fogging" routine (turn ignition to left and hold for 5 seconds) kind of thing (mine doesn't).
Interesting, I have a 2014 Mercury 40, and the manual states to fog it. Wonder what the difference is between Honda/Mercury outboards.

In any case, I plan to store it indoors, and while I think it's probably alright not to with the dry Alberta winters, I'll stick to the manufacturer's recommendations for a few years.

Any recommendations on where to buy gear lube/oil/filters, etc around Calgary? I bought my boat in SK so my dealer isn't close by.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwloco View Post
do you guys have a set time of year or do you base it on temp? Also what are you doing to winterize your outboards?
I pull the battery and take the fish liar in the house, tarp it and move on. 2005 Honda motor has run like the day I bought it, maybe I should have a better look at it someday but hey it's a Honda....10 years of constant use all spring,summer and fall...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-30-2015, 07:03 AM

I'll be doing mine first of november when I pull it out of the water, the most important thing in my mind is changing the leg oil. I was changing the oil one day, my buddy had his boat there and I asked him if he wanted me to do his leg oil, he said no as it was changed in the spring. Well guess what, he had water in his leg and come following spring he had a crack. That $15.00 would have saved him some grief and money.

This year changing out the impeller as well, 30 min job for a little security
Old 09-30-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j27lee View Post
Interesting, I have a 2014 Mercury 40, and the manual states to fog it. Wonder what the difference is between Honda/Mercury outboards.

In any case, I plan to store it indoors, and while I think it's probably alright not to with the dry Alberta winters, I'll stick to the manufacturer's recommendations for a few years.

Any recommendations on where to buy gear lube/oil/filters, etc around Calgary? I bought my boat in SK so my dealer isn't close by.
Others may have different suggestions, but for Mercury specific parts I normally go to Renfrew Marine. They're in the NE, just off the Deerfoot. The guy behind the parts desk (I knew his name at one point) really knows his stuff with Merc outboards.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:38 PM

When the time comes, I drain and fill the lower leg, drain fuel line and the fuel boles on the carbs, pull plugs and squirt a roughly two or three tablespoons of marine oil in each cylinder, turn the engine over a few times to disperse the oil around the cylinder, then go cry in the garage.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:05 PM

So no one does the whole rv antifreeze deal? Hmmmm
Old 09-30-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j27lee View Post

The smaller Mercs are Tohastsu motors so they might be different - Mine is a 150 HP Honda - so I guess the best thing is to follow the manufacturer's recommendations. I wonder if the Merc 150 Verado or 4 stroke require fogging - I would be surprised if they did to be honest.

I agree - Alberta is pretty dry and if you have run fuel stabilizer through your engine and let it run - it's probably going to be just fine.

As far as buying the tubes of lube - any boat retailer will have it on the shelf and I'm pretty sure I bought last years tube at Canadian Tire for under $15 which is "approved" by my Honda manual. There's a specification they ask for - I can't remember if it's SAE or something different but it's really just a marine grease/lubricant with some HQ and other additives.

Best thing to do is look on YouTube - it's easy to do - just unscrew the 2 plugs (remove both and fill from the bottom until the new grease comes out the top.

Trick is to squeeze the fill slow and stead so you are not getting air pockets farting on the fill.

A little messy but nothing you can't handle in a few minutes (clean up takes longer compared to the fill itself).
Old 09-30-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
So no one does the whole rv antifreeze deal? Hmmmm
What would you use antifreeze for on an outboard? There is nothing that holds water...

You do need to use antifreeze on an inboard, inboards are a fair bit more involved then outboards.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:34 PM

I meant on an inboard but most guys seem not to bother.

In Ontario it was the norm and some even used it for outboards (capped the exhaust thru prop w/shrinkwrap).
Old 09-30-2015, 07:53 PM

You guys are all doing it wrong

First step is to hook boat to truck
Then drive south to where water don't freeze
Continue boating and fishing

Ahh looks like I'm doing it wrong too.. looks like I will be fishing through the ice
Old 09-30-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
I meant on an inboard but most guys seem not to bother.

In Ontario it was the norm and some even used it for outboards (capped the exhaust thru prop w/shrinkwrap).
See Post 11