Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-30-2015, 10:24 PM

Thanks for the tips @LutherDLG & @EZM!
Old 10-01-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
What would you use antifreeze for on an outboard? There is nothing that holds water...

You do need to use antifreeze on an inboard, inboards are a fair bit more involved then outboards.
Some people will flush the lower leg with anti-freeze and let her run through the lower unit - certainly added insurance if your engine isn't able to be vertical over the winter.

If you let the leg drain properly there shouldn't be enough water or moisture in there to cause any issues - but if you come off the lake in cold weather, forget to tilt down your leg (to allow it to drain) and store it outside in sub zero temps you could be introducing some risk to the possibility of the water freezing enough to cause the lower unit to crack.

I have been dropping and draining my outboards, and storing them upright all winter for years and years and have never needed to run anti-freeze through them - but it is added insurance and piece of mind for some folks.

The key is letting the leg drain - if it's empty - there is no way for water in there to expand and crack - to me - that's your best insurance.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:50 PM

Just wondering what every does about the live well and bilge pumps. Will water stay in pumps? Can I just run the pumps for a few seconds to expel the water out? Or does it just drain itself? I forgot to do anything to my live well pumps this seasons end and already covered the boat. Usually I suck some RV antifreeze into the pumps but forgot this year. If I have to I will uncover the double tarp boat and put the batteries back in!
Old 10-13-2015, 10:14 AM

Quick fuel stabilizer question...

I know it takes about 5 minutes with the engine running for the stabilized fuel to make its way through the lines, motor, etc., but is there any harm in running through a full tank of fuel with stabilizer in it? Stupid question, but I tend to make a lot of assumptions.

I.e. stabilizing a full tank of fuel and taking the boat out one last time. No harm done?

Thanks as always.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:23 AM

Luther,

No harm done running fuel with stabilizer in it - good to go.

I would suggest you top up the tank after the day (and add stabilizer again for the amount of fuel added), as it will minimize the chances of building up condensation in your tank.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Just wondering what every does about the live well and bilge pumps. Will water stay in pumps? Can I just run the pumps for a few seconds to expel the water out? Or does it just drain itself? I forgot to do anything to my live well pumps this seasons end and already covered the boat. Usually I suck some RV antifreeze into the pumps but forgot this year. If I have to I will uncover the double tarp boat and put the batteries back in!
Run the pump for 10-15 seconds out of water. That's all I do. You probably don't want it running much longer than that as the motor will heat up and possibly get damaged.

I have not heard of anyone having an issue with live wells or water in that system - most boats have the inlet (lower) compared to the fill nozzle so any water in between drains out (unless there is a sag in the line and it was installed sloppy).

And ... of course ... the outlet plug is higher than the drain as well - so pulling the plug usually drains 99% of the water out.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:30 AM

Default Mental breakdown

Winterized the kicker yesterday, unloaded the truck this morning and pulled out a can of electrical contact cleaner. As my heart dropped I realized I had used that for fogging the engine. Now, I'm back in Calgary and the boat is in BC. Is this going to harm the engine? I am feeling really stupid right now. Don't really want to make the drive out there again, but if I must I will
Old 10-14-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
Winterized the kicker yesterday, unloaded the truck this morning and pulled out a can of electrical contact cleaner. As my heart dropped I realized I had used that for fogging the engine. Now, I'm back in Calgary and the boat is in BC. Is this going to harm the engine? I am feeling really stupid right now. Don't really want to make the drive out there again, but if I must I will
Not 100% sure - but here's what I think (based on what's likely in the can) - it won't be too bad actually - it will have non corrosive ingredients which are likely Isopropyl, Mineral spirits and likely something like a trichloriethelene - none of which should be too harmful and all of which will burn off.

It's not going to do much to "lubricate" the cylinder or really protect it either. But I think it might be ok.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:

Sorry to say but I would make the drive if it was done to the main motor maybe not the kicker. It would be worried it would cause a ring to stick. Get a peace of metal shine it up and spray it on there and see if it rusts. You must work on stuff like me beer in one hand wrench in the other and then after to many beer mistakes get made lol
Old 10-15-2015, 05:13 AM

Good news, talked to my mechanic, he went over and refogged the kicker for me, cost me a case of beer. Lesson learned, next time wear glasses when doing it.lol
Old 10-15-2015, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Good news, talked to my mechanic, he went over and refogged the kicker for me, cost me a case of beer. Lesson learned, next time wear glasses when doing it.lol

That was good of him!
Old 10-21-2015, 07:17 PM

Winterization is done on a case by case basis, based on when you stop using your boat for the season. Outboards should not be wrapped. The fuel in the outboard should NEVER be exposed to the heat gun.

www.boatshrink.com
Old 10-24-2015, 08:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwloco View Post
do you guys have a set time of year or do you base it on temp? Also what are you doing to winterize your outboards?
Today. One last troll around a lake yesterday then batteries out, dust cover and tarps strapped down, oils and filters changed and parked on the outdoor pad until ice-off.

Last year it was October 17; must be global warming.

Free
Old 10-24-2015, 02:54 PM

Default stabilizers and oils

What stabilizers and oils do you use?

I use:
Stratton and Stabil ethanol treatment
Amsoil oil and gear lube
Seafoam to fog the cylinders
Old 10-24-2015, 02:56 PM

That was supposed to be Startron (stupid auto-correct)
Old 10-24-2015, 06:52 PM

I never leave gas in during the winter. The gas we have now has a very short shelf life and anything it touches after a few months turns to mush that is unless you use premium. Been doing it like this for years and no problems. Also change fuel filter every three years. Batteries charged & in the house, lower leg oil dropped, carbs drained. Wait till spring.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:13 PM

I pour a can of Seafoam into the last tank on my last trip.

I just started using Seafoam a couple years ago (got the advice right here on the forum) and have been very impressed how my easy auger, chainsaw, lawnmower, blower and outboards run and how easy they fire up in the cold or after many months of storage.

I also only use high octane ethanol free gas now as well.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:00 PM

Fished Saturday from the boat . Winterizing will commence this coming weekend

Dodger