Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-21-2010, 02:46 PM

Default Spread the word please

stealing people's holes is RUDE!!!!!!
fishermen with any skills move typically from shallow to deep or along with shorelines...
they then reuse these hole when light levels change (sundown, etc.)
ALSO crowding others is plain DISRESPECTFUL!!!!!!
if you need a hand digging due to equipment trouble or age or whatever, no problem ASK FOR ASSISTANCE.
i'm sure 99.9% of the people out there will gladly help you out.
DO NOT steal people's spots!!!!!!
at least come say hi and check it's ok....
if you or someone you know is out there doing this....STOP IT BEFORE I KILL AGAIN!!!!!!!!
cheers, gw
Old 01-21-2010, 03:03 PM

Is it really that much trouble augering out another hole?

Not trying to fight you here, and I agree that if you get out of your tent and have to turn sideways because somone has their truck up too close to get out it is rude, but fishing along a shelf or bench can bring neighbors.

When I am out there, I may be within 100' of someone who has a wooden structure set up, I think to myself that it is there because maybe this guy knows where the fish are, so I will sometimes tend to follow the same line. That very thing happened yesterday, I set up beside (100') another shack, he showed up later and I drilled his holes for him.

He did not have a problem with me being there. He came over a couple times showing the fish he caught, and bs'ing.

Last weekend I tried a few different places, and when I moved closer to shore, another guy came out and used the holes we had drilled. He was happy they were there, so wth.

Maybe you should copy some of the VLT signs that people hang on machines, "this hole reserved for 1 hour".

Or drill another hold. If I am on the same lake and you have auger problems, I will gladly do it for you.

I am betting you live in some big city with neighbors so close that you not only know they are out of toilet paper because you can hear them, but if the wind is in the right direction you can smell them too.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-21-2010, 04:54 PM

Default fishing

In my opinion, once you vacate a hole, tough luck.You don't own the lake.I personaly will not fish other people's holes but,if they are vacant I cant see a problem with somebody fishin them. As far as someone crowding you , again you don't own the lake, I won't get to close but have had others get within 20-30ft. of me.It may not be ethical ,but no right to stop them.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman View Post
fishermen with any skills move typically from shallow to deep or along with shorelines...
if you need a hand digging due to equipment trouble or age or whatever, no problem ASK FOR ASSISTANCE.
if you or someone you know is out there doing this....STOP IT BEFORE I KILL AGAIN!!!!!!!!
cheers, gw
Alright.

But in hunting season on public land can I use a tree for my stand that you used, after you took your stand down and moved on? Just checking. I don't want to be shot.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
In my opinion, once you vacate a hole, tough luck.You don't own the lake.I personaly will not fish other people's holes but,if they are vacant I cant see a problem with somebody fishin them. As far as someone crowding you , again you don't own the lake, I won't get to close but have had others get within 20-30ft. of me.It may not be ethical ,but no right to stop them.
X2 same as fly fishin. I see a guy fishin a hole I move on but then again I will be fishin a hole and someone will move in and fish the same hole. I just move on.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-21-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
cheers, gw

If you abandoned them and moved elsewhere for better fishing and someone used the holes you left , find a different spot . You did the last time.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I like when people fish close together, it may be what draws the fish there, or keeps them interested. By close I mean within earshot, not within spitshot.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-21-2010, 05:48 PM

Thumbs up Share the Water

Most people do not mind sharing the area because no body owns the water unless the body of water is on private land. I have never seen anybody making an issue with frozen water with a hole or two that is public use. Most people like to fish near somebody to chat with and share coffee with baileys. I enjoy seeing other people use different methods of slaying the fish. Cheers and Enjoy the Canada outdoors.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Isn't that what got Tiger in trouble he vacated to many holes and got caught...lol

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...
Old 01-21-2010, 05:51 PM

Thumbs up Tigershark- This one was caught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drano View Post
Isn't that what got Tiger in trouble he vacated to many holes and got caught...lol
X2
Old 01-21-2010, 05:52 PM

thru the ice what does it matter if someone is close, not like in the summer and you need casting room. I dont appreciate people driving up to me tho. if you want to fish close at least have some respect and walk closer. If you happen to go thru and take me with you I am going to pull you out alright, with a treble hook!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-21-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drano View Post
Yes, but unlike the OP he had proper etiquette, he would drop bait in one and then move on to the next and leave no strings attached. He did have a dead rod in the permanent shack, and no one whined about that one, it was drilling holes all over the place that got him in trouble

Old 01-21-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
cheers, gw
What do you expect its alberta.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C@RN@GE View Post
What do you expect its alberta.
if you hate it here so much, dont forget there is a border in every direction, need a lift?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-21-2010, 06:37 PM

see i had this problem last year on lac. st. anne..i was fishing a nice sandy bar for some whites i drilled probalby 10-15 holes shoveled a huge patch of ice off so i could see them all nice and clear then i had a guy come up and start using two of the hole right in the middle of my tip ups...like litterly between my tent and my tips up...now i wasnt using those exact holes that second but i do tend to move my tip ups after they dont get hit for while..now..to say the least i was not happy what so ever...like really its not hard to drill holes...and one more thing whats with people driving within 3 feet of your tent and setting up right beside you...again this happened last year where i had not 1 not 2 not 3 but 6 tents within 3-4 feet of mine.. drilling all around me trying to figure out how i was catching the fish.. like come-on...i actually had to ask a guy to move so i could drive away...WTFpeople like that **** me off i understand i dont own the lake but man its a lake i dont care if your close to me but not that close..i dont need to smell you......thats my 2cents
Old 01-21-2010, 06:39 PM

When I ice fish alone I usually have 2 holes in my hut. If you are cold and want to use it your welcome
Old 01-21-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
if you hate it here so much, dont forget there is a border in every direction, need a lift?
x2
I really dont think that it is much of a problem. How many times have you caught fish in one hole and catch a thing 3' from it.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:02 PM

Thumbs up The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
x2
I really dont think that it is much of a problem. How many times have you caught fish in one hole and catch a thing 3' from it.
X3
Old 01-21-2010, 07:16 PM

i've seen the same problem a few times, if the guy had asked, i would have been ok, but had a dozen holes, moving lots for whites, it was working good! I came out of my small tent, ready to move, he and his wife, and two kids had just used up half my holes ! ( one each and two tip ups).. He had a few really choice words for me and told me the lake is big and i could move if i didn't like it when i gave him the what's up shrug ! laughed and left, but a bit of ethics or just a bit of respect would have gone a long way !
Old 01-21-2010, 07:37 PM

Hello C@RNAGE....The Google Map with all the data is another members works not Waynes...The fellow who started the map and Wayne are not anything like you stated...I have fished with Jeff the Google map guy and Wayne and I are planning to go fishing soon...Not all people are bad....
Old 01-21-2010, 07:47 PM

Default !!!!

Good to see I have some people agreeing with me. I'm not talking about "owning" an area. I'm talking about showing some common courtesy. Show others some basic respect and don't be an a-hole out there. Doesn't sound like too much to ask.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
cheers, gw

Stealing people's holes are rude? What exactly happened here? Did they put their line down your hole while yours was in? Tell the story.

I will re-use someones hole if no one is around. When I go to a lake I have no clue about I will look to see where the traffic is and assume there might be some action there. In some case I will fish in that area but atleast 100 yards away.

WILDMAN....describe the situation

CR
Old 01-21-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFisher View Post
see i had this problem last year on lac. st. anne..i was fishing a nice sandy bar for some whites i drilled probalby 10-15 holes shoveled a huge patch of ice off so i could see them all nice and clear then i had a guy come up and start using two of the hole right in the middle of my tip ups...like litterly between my tent and my tips up...now i wasnt using those exact holes that second but i do tend to move my tip ups after they dont get hit for while..now..to say the least i was not happy what so ever...like really its not hard to drill holes...and one more thing whats with people driving within 3 feet of your tent and setting up right beside you...again this happened last year where i had not 1 not 2 not 3 but 6 tents within 3-4 feet of mine.. drilling all around me trying to figure out how i was catching the fish.. like come-on...i actually had to ask a guy to move so i could drive away...WTFpeople like that **** me off i understand i dont own the lake but man its a lake i dont care if your close to me but not that close..i dont need to smell you......thats my 2cents
did you have any fish outside where everyone could see? If you leave fish on the ice then be expected to have everyone around you.If i catch any fish, i put them in a pail and out of sight!!!! We need the whole story wildman
Old 01-21-2010, 08:53 PM

I find that people that come up to fish near us are generally courteous and its always good to have a few different set-ups in the area see what works best. I have had issues a few times with guys in wooden shacks telling me im too close,like 30 or more feet away.If you wake up early in the summer and get your boat to my favorite spot before me good work,you earned that spot that day.But to park a big ol shack there for the whole winter and then tell others to back off is really walking the line.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFisher View Post

After using my calculator I have come to the conclusion that 15 holes drilled minus 2 holes legally used equals 13 unused holes. 13 holes is alot of holes and covers a large fishing area.

I have a question for the forum. If the regulations were to indicate how far a person must be from another fisherman how far should that be?

CR
Old 01-21-2010, 09:02 PM

wow thats new thread material if I've ever seen one! 100 yards?
Old 01-21-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheL View Post
I find that people that come up to fish near us are generally courteous and its always good to have a few different set-ups in the area see what works best. I have had issues a few times with guys in wooden shacks telling me im too close,like 30 or more feet away.If you wake up early in the summer and get your boat to my favorite spot before me good work,you earned that spot that day.But to park a big ol shack there for the whole winter and then tell others to back off is really walking the line.
Good point! Personally, I wouldn't want to fish 30ft from someones shack but thats jus me.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:07 PM

A friendly fisherman can can set up close.Like 20-30 feet.If they are loud and swearing within clear earshot of my kids that's another story.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:09 PM

Well i'm glad i popped some popcorn for this action.. anyways in the past i have given up some of my holes to people if they ask, but if they just move in i think that i would say at least something.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:11 PM

Not all shacks are on great spots but some guys use GPS and get them bang on. Its a little unfair for the rest of us when that does happen.