Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-27-2010, 01:50 PM

Default Snipe Lake Excessive Fishing

I myself have lived in the Snipe Lake area for years. Knowing most of the locals in the area, I don’t see many of them over fishing. Gerry Williscroft had a write up in Angler’s Atlas stating he caught a 13 pound walleye last summer which no one has ever seen one that size come out of Snipe. Also anyone can find out what the record for Alberta w3as last year. He is promoting the lake towards the resort he is developing to be opened in the spring of 2010. Also reading some of the comments written by other fishermen and postings on the net wall, in no time will ruin this lake. I agree with Opto 55 and Addicted about this lake being over fished and the size of catches being exaggerated. We have not seen pressure on this lake as we will see after April 1 when other lakes will close.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psavard1@telus.net View Post
I myself have lived in the Snipe Lake area for years. Knowing most of the locals in the area, I don’t see many of them over fishing. Gerry Williscroft had a write up in Angler’s Atlas stating he caught a 13 pound walleye last summer which no one has ever seen one that size come out of Snipe. Also anyone can find out what the record for Alberta w3as last year. He is promoting the lake towards the resort he is developing to be opened in the spring of 2010. Also reading some of the comments written by other fishermen and postings on the net wall, in no time will ruin this lake. I agree with Opto 55 and Addicted about this lake being over fished and the size of catches being exaggerated. We have not seen pressure on this lake as we will see after April 1 when other lakes will close.
While the dip****s posted the hell out of it and looks what happens. Another lake ruined by this message board. This board is more destructive then all the poachers commercial fishermen natives etc etc etc. But those get all the flack. If u want to save the few remaining decent lakes ban the posting of lake names. But then all the lazy *******s will flip there lids because that’s the only way they can find out good lakes heaven forbid they will get off there asses and find there own lakes.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:40 PM

Seriously??? First off the idea of the board is to share infprmation about fishing and that includes places to go. I agree that Snipe is having a lot of pressure but I dont think that this board is the reason why there are 100 vehicles out there now. If you want to stop pressure on lakes like this try to push for new regulations and stop blaming this board for the destruction of fisheries.
If anything word of mouth and poor fishery management are the things that could destroy this lake.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fish King View Post
Seriously??? First off the idea of the board is to share infprmation about fishing and that includes places to go. I agree that Snipe is having a lot of pressure but I dont think that this board is the reason why there are 100 vehicles out there now. If you want to stop pressure on lakes like this try to push for new regulations and stop blaming this board for the destruction of fisheries.
If anything word of mouth and poor fishery management are the things that could destroy this lake.
While it went from 5 trucks on it to about 100 trucks on it a day in the last 2 years. During that time it was probably one of the most posted lakes on here. Before that it was never posted on here. Notice a connection????????????????? This has happened to so many lakes. Look at coal lake 5 years ago there where maybe 6-7 trucks on a weekend. Now it looks like walmart parking lot on boxing day. During that time there where certain people constantly advertising it to every single person on here. I remember catching 10-15 pound fish regularly out of there now 98 percent of them are under 63 cm. Because as soon as they get over that there removed. This has happened to hassie,spring,isle,coal,mons,sylvan,gull,pigion,ha lfmoon,snipe,cow,lac ste anne,star lake and the list goes on and on.

What do u think this message board is word of mouth times a 1000x. You think fish and wildlife can predict a dip**** telling everyone about a lake then the lake going from 6 trucks to 100trucks on it in a year. Then what when they react management they close down the walleye or pike and then they leave the rest open to get destroyed. Or close it down completely and have to deal with 1000's of ****ed off meat fishermen saying there still some fish left in there i should be aloud to keep them. F@W have to study a lake in order to properly to decide how to control limits. They can't just stop half way through a season and reprint regulation because some dip**** decides to tell all the lazy F##### about it so they can rush to it and remove any fish keepable. F@W have no budget as is. They can't afford to do studies on every lake just because one dip**** wants to brag on here and tell everyone. You obviously no very little if u think this message board can't destroy lakes.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C@RN@GE View Post
While it went from 5 trucks on it to about 100 trucks on it a day in the last 2 years. During that time it was probably one of the most posted lakes on here. Before that it was never posted on here. Notice a connection????????????????? This has happened to so many lakes. Look at coal lake 5 years ago there where maybe 6-7 trucks on a weekend. Now it looks like walmart parking lot on boxing day. During that time there where certain people constantly advertising it to every single person on here. I remember catching 10-15 pound fish regularly out of there now 98 percent of them are under 63 cm. Because as soon as they get over that there removed. This has happened to hassie,spring,isle,coal,mons,sylvan,gull,pigion,ha lfmoon,snipe,cow,lac ste anne,star lake and the list goes on and on.

What do u think this message board is word of mouth times a 1000x. You think fish and wildlife can predict a dip**** telling everyone about a lake then the lake going from 6 trucks to 100trucks on it in a year. Then what when they react management they close down the walleye or pike and then they leave the rest open to get destroyed. Or close it down completely and have to deal with 1000's of ****ed off meat fishermen saying there still some fish left in there i should be aloud to keep them. F@W have to study a lake in order to properly to decide how to control limits. They can't just stop half way through a season and reprint regulation because some dip**** decides to tell all the lazy F##### about it so they can rush to it and remove any fish keepable. F@W have no budget as is. They can't afford to do studies on every lake just because one dip**** wants to brag on here and tell everyone. You obviously no very little if u think this message board can't destroy lakes.
Cornball, where do we start. You are ranting about an online forum ruining a lake on an online forum about fishing. Take a deep breath, turn off you computer and never come back to this site. Good news everyone. One more lake has been saved!
Old 03-27-2010, 06:59 PM

I hate to admit it but I think you have a point.

Personally, I think people disrespect the information they learn on the board because they didn't have to earn the knowledge for themselves. This is no different than a teenager who has not learned the value of money. Most of us quickly learned the value of money and assets when we were forced to earn it for ourselves.

I will openly share certain fishing information as long as the individual has taken some time to explore and learn for themselves. As well, I will usually offer information to those who share the same values as I do. This can't often happen through idle ramblings on a message board.

That being said, my second kayak will be open to others this coming open water season. I hope to meet some new and interesting folks with similar values.

This is just my $0.02. Don't mean to start a heated debate. I'm sure opinions are widely varied on the subject, and I respect that.

Cheers.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:44 PM

First off welcome to AOF psavard. Hmmm...where to start...well for the most part i try to discourage people from posting lake names only to get slammed from the precious few for doing so. Some people feel that if it's public forum there should be no secrets.

On one of the Many snipe threads, some clown was implying that me or the people wanting to keep it a secret were just protecting their honeyhole's.

Well truth in the matter, i have NEVER fished it. Although i only live an hour and half from it. In the past, before my AOF days i have heard about it by word of mouth from time to time. But never enough to make me go there.

After reading all the hipe on snipe lake this year from this board alone we gave it a try about a month ago. I feel as this board was a strong contributing factor to try this lake out. I found the fishing sucked for us, anyways we talked with 3 groups of people out there and guess what
"THEY WERE ALL MEMBERS OF AOF". I am sure this lake is going to get alot worst before it gets better.

Although i never heard about the 13 pounder, i don't think the locals are to blame for the increased traffic. Can pretty much guess from my post where i put the blame. Oh and you can keep snipe, i don't care to fish 10 feet from other fisherman, i enjoy the quiet and tranquility of the sport.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmag View Post
First off welcome to AOF psavard. Hmmm...where to start...well for the most part i try to discourage people from posting lake names only to get slammed from the precious few for doing so. Some people feel that if it's public forum there should be no secrets.

On one of the Many snipe threads, some clown was implying that me or the people wanting to keep it a secret were just protecting their honeyhole's.

Well truth in the matter, i have NEVER fished it. Although i only live an hour and half from it. In the past, before my AOF days i have heard about it by word of mouth from time to time. But never enough to make me go there.

After reading all the hipe on snipe lake this year from this board alone we gave it a try about a month ago. I feel as this board was a strong contributing factor to try this lake out. I found the fishing sucked for us, anyways we talked with 3 groups of people out there and guess what
"THEY WERE ALL MEMBERS OF AOF". I am sure this lake is going to get alot worst before it gets better.

Although i never heard about the 13 pounder, i don't think the locals are to blame for the increased traffic. Can pretty much guess from my post where i put the blame. Oh and you can keep snipe, i don't care to fish 10 feet from other fisherman, i enjoy the quiet and tranquility of the sport.
Hmmmmm - 549 posts and you have a problem with fishing with fellow AOF members. Seems to me that a guy like you who spends as much time on this board is actually complaining about himself. Another real conservationist - you should PM Cornball and then shut off your computers for ever!. Keep up the good work.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spopadyn View Post
Hmmmmm - 549 posts and you have a problem with fishing with fellow AOF members. Seems to me that a guy like you who spends as much time on this board is actually complaining about himself. Another real conservationist - you should PM Cornball and then shut off your computers for ever!. Keep up the good work.
Yep...and thats a real classy post by yourself. A guy posts a thread for discussion and its your job to slam the people that don't share your opinion. Well i really don't care to have a battle of blows with you, so if it's ok with you...You win...you are right and always will be, i was wrong and always will be.

Insert me waiving the white flag here

And to the other members that i have fished with in the past and future i do enjoy fishing with you, but my overall preference is to find a nice quiet spot away from the pack.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:40 PM

Heres a tiny example how it works

This thread - 9 posts
This thread - 7 posters
This thread - 177 views. Just on this thread!

Do the math.

Yes nameing a lake can be harmful
Old 03-27-2010, 10:07 PM

I posted that this lake sucks and I won't go back. That was 5 years ago I realized it sucked. Nobody listened and now look. Too crowded. OOPS I just realized I have more posts than Shmag, I better go shut down and never come back.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 03-28-2010, 02:46 AM

Look I dont want to get into an argument that nobody can win here. Al I am saying is that I have fished Snipe consistently for 5 years now. The last three I have posted on here about the lake.
Last year I was out in the middle of the week in mid-february and I was the only vehicle on the lake. This year at the same time 100 maybe more.

I just dont think that one fishing board can do that to a lake. I mean I know the owner of the fishing store in Grande Prairie and who do you think they tell which lake is hot too?
A fishing forum will not destroy a fishery. We are all in this together and if we, as a community are concerned with the impacts of overfishing, we will do something collectively to deal with it. There is no point blaming anyone for what has already happened. Lets do what we have to do to protect fisheries like Snipe.

The answer, as I see it, is not to hide the names and locations of lakes, especially those that are easily accessible and have establised campsites on them. I mean lots have people have been going to Snipe, especially in the summer, for a long time. I've seen the campsite filled there before. We are all just trying to have some fun with family or friends and catch a few fish is all.

The answer is to have limits that realize that a lake like Snipe cannot handle heavy fishing pressure forever. And as fisherman, we have to realize this too...even if the regs dont.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:31 AM

Iv knowen about snipe for years now but guess what never been there. If there are lots of people on the lake in mid week I think that is probly local people so dont be blamming these boards. If a lake is starting to get over fished, look in the area and you will find that other lakes there have probly turned C & R. so where do you think people go. I blam F & W for that as they will restrict some lakes and not all in the same area. Look at wabamum every one is going to Isle now. Not the forums that have changed that but the ability to keep fish.
just my 2 cents
Old 03-28-2010, 05:59 AM

Guys need to chill around here.

This forum in my eyes is predominantly an information source.
...so is the neighbor who goes to Snipe and gets lucky
...so is the store owner who tells where the recent hot spots are
...so is the boater you ask about the lake
get where I'm going here?
Old 03-28-2010, 08:34 AM

OK

343 different people have observed this one thread so far.

If this thread topic was Limiting out on Bigun Lake in central Alberta

You would have people flocking to the lake. Thread count would easily go to thousands. If the fishing was and stayed good for awhile. You are hardly being realistic if you think this would have little to no impact especially on small lakes.

I should add that out of the 343 probably 300 are not members (guesstimate).

Some people are totally underestimating the power of the internet as an information source!
Old 03-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
OK

343 different people have observed this one thread so far.

If this thread topic was Limiting out on Bigun Lake in central Alberta

You would have people flocking to the lake. Thread count would easily go to thousands. If the fishing was and stayed good for awhile. You are hardly being realistic if you think this would have little to no impact especially on small lakes.

I should add that out of the 343 probably 300 are not members (guesstimate).

Some people are totally underestimating the power of the internet as an information source!
Im sorry do you know where you live. Snipe lake is located in a place where people go in and out of all the time. You cant blame the internet because people would figure it out eventually. its not as if snipe is a small lake
Old 03-28-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
I hate to admit it but I think you have a point.

Personally, I think people disrespect the information they learn on the board because they didn't have to earn the knowledge for themselves. This is no different than a teenager who has not learned the value of money. Most of us quickly learned the value of money and assets when we were forced to earn it for ourselves.

I will openly share certain fishing information as long as the individual has taken some time to explore and learn for themselves. As well, I will usually offer information to those who share the same values as I do. This can't often happen through idle ramblings on a message board.

Cheers.

Very well put sir. The best analogy of this issue ever posted on this forum. Whether a lake is mentioned here or written about in a magazine it will have an affect due to the Alberta ratio of fisherman to lakes/rivers. Sharing info on common/popular spots is no problem but small jewels that can't handle pressure, I probably would hold my tongue.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guesswho View Post
Im sorry do you know where you live. Snipe lake is located in a place where people go in and out of all the time. You cant blame the internet because people would figure it out eventually. its not as if snipe is a small lake

Something is slow around here, and its not funny anymore. No, its not my computer. The things Id like to say right now to blow you completely outa the water.... Lordy, shes gonna be a hell of a wreck in 20 years. I cant wait. Afew foreward thinking folk that care about the future cannot do it alone. People are marginal, not even heavily imposed educational requirements will help in this day and age. Im saying F* it. Its rock and roll time on fragile resources. 2010 marks the turning of a page for me and my family. The bonus is that I can legally do it too!! Take what you can while you can boys.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 03-28-2010, 09:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Something is slow around here, and its not funny anymore. No, its not my computer. The things Id like to say right now to blow you completely outa the water.... Lordy, shes gonna be a hell of a wreck in 20 years. I cant wait. Afew foreward thinking folk that care about the future cannot do it alone. People are marginal, not even heavily imposed educational requirements will help in this day and age. Im saying F* it. Its rock and roll time on fragile resources. 2010 marks the turning of a page for me and my family. The bonus is that I can legally do it too!! Take what you can while you can boys.
are you trying to insult me bud. Im just saying dont come here and start pointing fingers. OC is basically saying only he and people he knows can fish there. Well guess what its not jsut your lake. I know it might be overfished right now but what are you gonna do start kicking off people with more than 1 child fishing. Im just saying come up with a solution because we already know the problem. I have a great solution. ALl of you people that live in mid and southern alberta stay there and fish your own lakes and we will fish ours. that way we dont have a bunch of people from edmonton ruining these lakes. As for that 177 views it goes up everytime i go back and forth so those numbers arent really that high.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Gone Hunting

Your comment on how this lake is not small had me believing you didnt have a sniff about the frailties of these fisheries. Your last post has me thinking you do understand there are problems. Sorry. As for me, Im gonna have some good wholesome and LEGAL fun, making an example out of Alberta for afew years. Change is only spurred on from disasters (historically), so lets promote some change fellas!! It will be fun!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 03-28-2010, 09:42 AM

i still can't figure how people would find out about prodctive lakes before the internet...
i don't think i ever caught a fish before i came here and exploited the lakes that i read about from other members experiences (other members that were willing to share a little more than "secret lake").
for that matter, what about all the fishermen who arnt users of this board? they must have to go through a lot of trial and error before they find a fish holding lake that produces...

who knows, maybe there is still one undescovered jem someone will find, fish it alone cuz they don't trust even their closest friends and live "happily" ever after, knowing that they are doing their part to protect it from the enjoyment of their fellow albertans

cheers
Old 03-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Gone Hunting

Who cares how fisheries are found by the masses, or even that they are found by the masses. Get on them and enjoy them, one and all. The problem is that there is little or no sound objective to control exploitation. Conservation in this province does not exist with regards to fisheries. We could take that even further but it would be straying from the topic. When there are people in control of fisheries that give two sh*ts about the fisheries and not merely thier own futures, I will continue to see them for what they are, "Joe boys" and "yes men". Yes, that would be you, SRD, ACA and the likes. Heres to hopeing we see some changes in regulation in one of our upcoming generations futures. Till then, I look foreward to seeing my first game warden in the field in over 6 years. I guarantee, you will find me with a limit of fish when you decide to show up out there. Ya know, just doing my part, trying to promote change!! Have a normal day!

Keep a strain on er
Old 03-28-2010, 01:32 PM

guesswho
"As for that 177 views it goes up everytime i go back and forth so those numbers arent really that high."

They dont count you more than once! So yes they are high.
I also checked. Therefore as I said 177 different people saw that post.

You contradict yourself.
"Well guess what its not just your lake."
and
" I have a great solution. ALl of you people that live in mid and southern alberta stay there and fish your own lakes and we will fish ours"

Im just pointing out that naming lakes does have an impact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
guesswho
"As for that 177 views it goes up everytime i go back and forth so those numbers arent really that high."

They dont count you more than once! So yes they are high.
I also checked. Therefore as I said 177 different people saw that post.

You contradict yourself.
"Well guess what its not just your lake."
and
" I have a great solution. ALl of you people that live in mid and southern alberta stay there and fish your own lakes and we will fish ours"

Im just pointing out that naming lakes does have an impact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No i didnt contradict myself. Im saying that its not just his lake and everyone can go if they want. But if people want to stop overfishing they need to take their own advice and get out because they are contributing to the overfishing as well. this whole topic is like a peta member whining about animal slaughter even though peta kills almost half the animals they recue. But its ok because its considered euthanesia right.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:38 PM

"not just your lake"

"we will fish ours"

???? OK

peta has nothing to do with this post.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:23 PM

i fish the lake in the lac la biche area and have not heard of snipe or other lakes in snipes area my friends and i have fished snipe 3 times this winter all with good success
It was word of mouth that we found it but the word of mouth came from friend that said he read it here so i think it's kind of both word of mouth and internet but originaly started from internet word of mouth probably moves slower that internet to thats the reason i joined the site

not to offend just my story
Old 03-28-2010, 09:31 PM

Lakes in alberta should be open to any albertan who loves to fish,The amount of people should not (wreck) a lake.It is a matter of conservation,regulations & being a responsible fisherman.If the people who are using the info others are sharing that's great this should be what the forums about. I fish alot of lakes with zero walleye limits yet every year they get more popular, more people = more poachers which equals less fish.Albertas biggest problem is the inforcement of regulations.I fish every chance I get yet, Anually I'm lucky to see fish & game more than 3 times a season. - Any way my subject was a little off,but the enforcement has to be increased.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C@RN@GE View Post

I am not going to say that these forums don't have an effect on the amount of people fishing a lake but lets be realistic the amount of people on this forum is a small percentage of the fishing community. I personally don't know one fisherman other then myself that even knows that this board exists. People hear things from other fisherman from people in sporting good stores who have heard things from other people or like you mentioned about Coal lake the news. And Coal has never only had 6-7 trucks on it I have fished it for years and it has always been busy nothing like now but that was not done by this board but by someone sending a storey to CTV. I mean literally one weekend normal amount of people fishing then a storey gets on the news about Coal lake and bam Walmart parking lot on boxing day.

Basically I guess I'm trying to say this board probably plays a very small role on fishing pressure then you would like to think. People have been hearing about good fishing spots and lakes long before this forum or even the net was around.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:12 AM
Banned

i may regret this, but the best lake in southern alberta is pakowki. its a fairly big lake that holds pike perch and whitefish. it gets little pressure, but i will try to watch close for the next while to see if fishing pressure increases. ill let you know what i see in a few weeks.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
"not just your lake"

"we will fish ours"

???? OK

peta has nothing to do with this post.
Now you are taking my words out of context. Do you know what an analogy is. Im saying its not just his lake but if he wants to stop overfishing he should just tell all his buddies down in central and western alberta to stay there. Nowhere am i contradicting myself.